Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz6ReuFodXs

Holy poo poo Cobalt's weapon cost $55,000

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Apr 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esoter1c
Jul 18, 2007
Do you know me?

PostNouveau posted:

Holy poo poo Cobalt's weapon cost $55,000

That was a good fight. And I knew BattleBots was expensive but drat.

So unlike him to see Vasquez make a mistake like getting stuck, just ripe picking for Cobalt to score that huge hit. Would've been nice to see the match restart but I can see the logic in the safety crew not wanting to take any chances.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Esoter1c posted:

So unlike him to see Vasquez make a mistake like getting stuck, just ripe picking for Cobalt to score that huge hit.

Yeah, he seemed to hit an unanticipated problem of his forks being so thin that there was space under the wall of the shelf for them to get wedged into. The same thing got them stuck in the end too. I don't think that's happened to any other bot this season.

Since Whiplash doesn't have a weapon and so much of its plan is slamming the opponent into walls, they were pretty hosed with that fork configuration.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I wish they didn't even mention it. Just call it a double knockout and give it to the judges. Seems like the Cobalt team is salty about how the fight was handled, even though they won. BattleBots always ends up with irregularities that give a bad vibe.

I think though that even if the match went three minutes there was no way for Whiplash to avoid at least one big hit. Not with those forks. Maybe past Cobalt would have failed from constantly being flipped over and being bumped into things but they have been very durable this year.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

It it wasn't already Minotaur then what the gently caress. And if it's not Minotaur now then gently caress You.

Ngl, want Hydra to win because of all the salt that would generate and also gently caress spinners.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

halokiller posted:

Ngl, want Hydra to win because of all the salt that would generate and also gently caress spinners.

If you just want gently caress spinners, root for Blip.

That being said, I'd be happy for any of these bots to win. Except Hydra.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

spinners are cool. destruction is cool.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

sawblaze is the best though. SOB/TDD but it does real straight up damage

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Borsche69 posted:

sawblaze is the best though. SOB/TDD but it does real straight up damage

I ate at a local park yesterday and a kid in a bench a ways from us agreed, loudly

First time I've ever heard a single person talk about Battlebots in person lmao

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

imo Hydra is a bad draw for Blip even though Blip is the more well-rounded bot

As a flipper, Blip can't do anything to a bot it can't get under, and nobody gets under Hydra

That said, Hydra is mechanically fragile and is probably low on spares after all the rebuildimg they've had to do (especially if Jake was telling the truth about having to cannibalize parts from Fusion).

Hill builds durable bots, but Blip's durability has only really been tested once, by Valkyrie.

Can Blip survive getting flipped half a dozen times til Hydra breaks down? I feel like this is what will decide the flipper duel

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Hydra is really slow this season, they've had a ton of drive train problems and alot of getting caught on the arena floor. Blip being so fast and maneuverable may give them an edge. I doubt they're just going to wildly charge into Hydra over and over again like Black Dragon did.

That said, I'm fine with anyone who's left winning except Riptide.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Blip shouldn't let Hydra sit in the center and just go in circles like last match. Make them move that slow POS

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

It it wasn't already Minotaur then what the gently caress. And if it's not Minotaur now then gently caress You.

Anything that references Greek mythology is automatically bad, sorry.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Blip will definitely have a better plan than Black Dragon, if for no other reason than Black Dragon showed them what did not work at all.

But they ain't getting under Hydra, so they're probably hosed.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Anything that references Greek mythology is automatically bad, sorry.

I think Minotaur is named after the actual minotaur from history, not the myths based of it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Ror posted:

I think Minotaur is named after the actual minotaur from history, not the myths based of it.

The actual minotaur?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

PostNouveau posted:

The actual minotaur?

yeah, that bull-headed motherfucker

none of that labyrinth mythology crap

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Minotaur is actually named after their other bot Touro Maximus. What that bot is named after is an exercise left to the reader.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

oh jay posted:

Minotaur is actually named after their other bot Touro Maximus. What that bot is named after is an exercise left to the reader.

Not to be confused with Toro or Maximus, of course.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Fish Of Doom posted:

That said, I'm fine with anyone who's left winning except Riptide.
Dunno what you have against them, but a rookie bot running the table against this field would be the greatest upset in robot combat history (even if I think they'll get shithoused by sawblaze in top 8)

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
https://youtu.be/JiCHx11dSu8

Robert Cowan says he's not going to be captain of Copperhead next time. Seems unhappy with production, and just wants a break.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Got of gif of that nifty move Minotaur pulled. (Ignore the "servers" part from the streaming site. Discovery+ has some kind of blocker that prevents screen recording so I had to use an ... alternative streaming site.)

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Apparently poo poo goes down this week:

https://www.reddit.com/r/battlebots/comments/tw00mu/the_controversy/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

There are also numerous posts from the teams confirming high levels of poo poo Going Down.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The bot of Theseus

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Great Beer posted:

Apparently poo poo goes down this week:

https://www.reddit.com/r/battlebots/comments/tw00mu/the_controversy/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

There are also numerous posts from the teams confirming high levels of poo poo Going Down.

lol if Jake Ewert just spray-painted "Hydra" on Son of Whyachi or something.

Also I think people are jumping to "entirely new bot" in the comments, but what if it's something like one of the teams with two robots just swaps in the second one when the first one gets mega-hosed up in, like, the quarterfinals? Witch Doctor has talked in their social media about having basically two Witch Doctors. I believe Tombstone brings essentially two Tombstones every year too.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Yeah the Minotaur Maneuver might be the sickest thing I've ever seen in this sport. If End Game had landed a clean shot to their underside while they were doing that they might have been KOed but they just skirted around them. What an insane move.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

Also I think people are jumping to "entirely new bot" in the comments, but what if it's something like one of the teams with two robots just swaps in the second one when the first one gets mega-hosed up in, like, the quarterfinals? Witch Doctor has talked in their social media about having basically two Witch Doctors. I believe Tombstone brings essentially two Tombstones every year too.

Pretty much every team that can afford to do this does it. The robots frame and armor is a relatively cheap component in most designs and if you have that why bother storing your spare parts separately?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

PostNouveau posted:

If it's a backup robot then I don't see that causing a controversy, because those would be approved to compete for that team beforehand. It would only cause a controversy if they brought in some significant parts from a robot not on that team. But that's on Battlebots because they absolutely shouldn't let something like that happen when they do pre-fight inspections.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

PostNouveau posted:

We've seen shots of multiple chassis for lots of robots, so I assume it's not just that.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

sweet geek swag posted:

If it's a backup robot then I don't see that causing a controversy, because those would be approved to compete for that team beforehand. It would only cause a controversy if they brought in some significant parts from a robot not on that team. But that's on Battlebots because they absolutely shouldn't let something like that happen when they do pre-fight inspections.

Ah, OK I didn't know backup bots were so prevalent.

I wonder if Aren Hill pulls something in the semis from a bot eliminated in the quarters.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Icewave was specifially noted to have swapped in an older model of the robot, and iirc a season or two ago it was mentioned that Donald Hudson had brought three whole Lock-Jaws.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
There's also some speculation in the Reddit thread about the vert spinner on Hydra.

PostNouveau posted:

Looks like someone else has been doing some retooling in the offseason as well

It's Fusion's spinner mounted on Hydra, and Jake said in a recent video that it was their new Huge solution because everyone got so mad about the "I'm not touching you" bike rack.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
The bike rack was bullshit because it's whole design was meant to negate a fight. If bots are allowed to change things up and Hydra comes in with a big rear end spinner and tears Huge apart, fair enough, at least that's a fight.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Yeah of they just mounted a spinner I don't see that being a problem from my perspective, but I can also see why other might get salty about it. The main chassis is the same, they just jury-rigged a spinner on there. It'll be a lot less durable in that configuration, and plenty of robots trade out weapons. Rusty used Lockjaw's wedge against Witch Doctor, and no one cried foul there, but I'll admit that was a slightly different situation.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Digging around some more on the Reddit (where a lot of the competitors post), someone who was there said it wasn't Hydra. Their comment seems to indicate it is a quarterfinal matchup. Said Whiplash-Cobalt generated basically no controversy compared to whatever is coming.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

That one team technically has two different bots in right? I wonder if that's related

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Someone sneaks a second bot into the same fight

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

That one team technically has two different bots in right? I wonder if that's related

Yeah, Blip and Tantrum are the same team. The captain of Blip even runs the pit for Tantrum.

Maybe Blip sees the same thing everyone else sees (they're gonna lose to Hydra because they can't get under them) and brings a spray-painted blue Tantrum into the next fight? Also Tantrum got hosed up bad by Rotator. Maybe Blip goes out to Hydra and then shows up to fight Tantrum's quarterfinal for it?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Would it cause a lot of controversy if they threw the match in Blip vs Tantrum?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ante posted:

Would it cause a lot of controversy if they threw the match in Blip vs Tantrum?

I don't think so. I watched a Norwalk playoff match where two Jamison Go bots matched up and they didn't even fight. The team decided which would forfeit. The announcers said that was standard operating procedure in robot combat.

There's also a lot of chatter on Reddit about the new out of bounds rules. Apparently, you cannot put someone out of bounds intentionally. If it's an accident, you win the match. If it's intentional, you're DQ'd. It would be funny if Blip and Tantrum were forced to fight for TV reasons, Tantrum just parked near the out of bounds area and let Blip flip it out, and then Blip is DQ'd using a rule they haven't talked about or applied all year.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 4, 2022