Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Gunshow Poophole posted:

i rode my new bike to work today becaus eit was nice out

here is a picture of it leaning casually and triumphantly against its retired, deprecated enemy:

:hellyeah: :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

more bikeposting ITT. "poast your bikes"

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Sphyre posted:

more bikeposting ITT. "poast your bikes"

I got a new bikecycle last week

I can use it to go places instead of a car but I can also use it to go as far away from cars and people as possible

Today I saw a huge raven with a wingspan as wide as a car

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

put some ape hangers on those babies

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

wow, that dock is not bird friendly.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Gunshow Poophole posted:

i rode my new bike to work today becaus eit was nice out

here is a picture of it leaning casually and triumphantly against its retired, deprecated enemy:

:nice:

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
My ad-hoc cargo bike and daily driver for going to the shops with beloved, who has the same model sans the attachments

And my commutor if I am going for a ride alone and am prioritising speed over cargo capacity

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

pickin up some groceries. big load so i needed pannier backup

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Dog Case posted:

I got a new bikecycle last week

I can use it to go places instead of a car but I can also use it to go as far away from cars and people as possible

Today I saw a huge raven with a wingspan as wide as a car

I love this color coat. Hell I love it on you know whats too

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/mattagertz/status/1510338713208819712?t=nTMTy03ZhZYDIh9BhcA0zA&s=19

lol.

Cycling and (bad) bus provision is necessary but insufficient - winning the war on cars is the only way to truly improve our cities.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Remembered playing original SimCity as a kid and trying to construct cities with only rail transit ie no roads at all. Inevitably the constant complaints about bad traffic (?) made the attempts unworkable. The propaganda starts so early.

mystes
May 31, 2006

distortion park posted:

https://twitter.com/mattagertz/status/1510338713208819712?t=nTMTy03ZhZYDIh9BhcA0zA&s=19

lol.

Cycling and (bad) bus provision is necessary but insufficient - winning the war on cars is the only way to truly improve our cities.
Lmao at the idea that this is the ideal that we should be going for

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Streetcars are the best form of public transit because a) they're electric trains and b) motorists hate them.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

I am a friend of Jamis

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

ikanreed posted:

I know libs pretending to solve racism with tokenism infuriates you, but as someone who attended a school built for the purpose of desegregation yes racist governments in the south actively defunded and destroyed public commons in response to desegregation.

Stop being a racist piece of poo poo, please.

It's a thought terminating position. Racism exists and cannot be stopped, or mitigated in anyway, therefore better things aren't possible. Stop being a lib, please.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

It's a thought terminating position. Racism exists and cannot be stopped, or mitigated in anyway, therefore better things aren't possible. Stop being a lib, please.

I asked you to stop.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

ikanreed posted:

I asked you to stop.

You first, a better world is possible.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
Oh yeah well if the South doesn't build public spaces because they might get used by black people then how come they built twice as many water fountains? You think that there's just some huge racist majority that wants extra water fountains to be built? That's crazy. It's just hot down there, people get thirsty.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

loving these bikes fellas :swoon: keep em coming

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

IAMKOREA posted:

Oh yeah well if the South doesn't build public spaces because they might get used by black people then how come they built twice as many water fountains? You think that there's just some huge racist majority that wants extra water fountains to be built? That's crazy. It's just hot down there, people get thirsty.

The south is pretty woke. No more white bodies in black spaces.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

*posts a photo that is 80% asphalt*

THIS right here fellas, this is what we need

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

God Hole posted:

*posts a photo that is 80% asphalt*

THIS right here fellas, this is what we need

*a picture with two people in it, mostly hidden by a street light.*

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Went to see some friends. When I turned up on a bike they reacted like I'd crossed the sahara on a camel. It's an 18 mile round trip on well paved, well lit, low traffic and entirely flat roads.

the most stressful part of the trip is cycling past the dump because it smells.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

distortion park posted:

lol.

big fan of the car parked in the "BUS ONLY" zone

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Peanut President posted:

big fan of the car parked in the "BUS ONLY" zone
Pretty sure they are turning right.

It's an improvement over the road's previous state, but you couldn't pay me to bike in LA.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Wolfy posted:

Pretty sure they are turning right.

It's an improvement over the road's previous state, but you couldn't pay me to bike in LA.
They might mean this one. I'm not sure whether it's parked or really wtf it's doing:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
looks like it is turning into that driveway or alley.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

mystes posted:

They might mean this one. I'm not sure whether it's parked or really wtf it's doing:

being a loving poo poo rear end car

mystes
May 31, 2006

I found it on google street view and there might be a garage entrance there but also what's going on here? It doesn't seem great that this thing is randomly blocking the bike lane.

mystes has issued a correction as of 02:21 on Apr 4, 2022

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
You may not like it but that’s what complete streets look like

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's definitely complete garbage

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

mystes posted:

I found it on google street view and there might be a garage entrance there but also what's going on here? It doesn't seem great that this thing is randomly blocking the bike lane.

I believe they are bus platforms. At completion there are ramps for bikes to ride over them.

Here are some from Portland. Nobody really seems to like them.
https://bikeportland.org/2021/11/12/how-are-those-new-bus-platforms-treating-you-pbot-wants-to-know-341248

mystes
May 31, 2006

The Portland design kind of makes sense I guess because the bike lane at least just goes over a smaller smaller raised part that connects to the platform.

In this place it looks like there isn't room for that though so if they add a ramp the bike will be riding right over the middle of the platform which seems dumber? Like what if there are people getting on or off the bus?

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008

distortion park posted:

lol.

I’m reading this on my lunch break in central Sydney, where the main street in the downtown area has just been transformed from this:

To this:

Even though it was always a major bus route and had dedicated bus lanes, it’s so much better now with more space for pedestrians, extra street trees and no noise from cars and diesel buses. (Not pictured: the segregated bike lanes on a parallel street.)

mystes
May 31, 2006

upsidedown posted:

I’m reading this on my lunch break in central Sydney, where the main street in the downtown area has just been transformed from this:

To this:

Even though it was always a major bus route and had dedicated bus lanes, it’s so much better now with more space for pedestrians, extra street trees and no noise from cars and diesel buses. (Not pictured: the segregated bike lanes on a parallel street.)
In the us the idea of saying that cars can't go on a road is just literally incomprehensible even if it would actually be more convenient for everyone, including drivers.

That's why the best people can imagine is somehow sticking bike and bus lanes on a stroad.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

check out the replies to this if you wanna see the dumbest fucks in the world patting themselves on the back

https://twitter.com/Kicksbuttson/status/1510474951396139009

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008

mystes posted:

In the us the idea of saying that cars can't go on a road is just literally incomprehensible even if it would actually be more convenient for everyone, including drivers.

That's why the best people can imagine is somehow sticking bike and bus lanes on a stroad.

It’s a real battle here at times too, with the City Council having to fight the state government and conservative radio commentators to get the bike lanes in (over the usual complaints about losing road space for cars). We are currently going through a motorway building boom, but at the same time the conservative state government created the position of Minister for Active Travel, which is a positive step.

tom kite
Feb 12, 2009

Wolfy posted:

I believe they are bus platforms. At completion there are ramps for bikes to ride over them.

Here are some from Portland. Nobody really seems to like them.
https://bikeportland.org/2021/11/12/how-are-those-new-bus-platforms-treating-you-pbot-wants-to-know-341248

tom kite has issued a correction as of 07:42 on Apr 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

upsidedown posted:

To this:

After moving to Auckland I can definitely say that Sydney isn't a bad place to be a cyclist (in comparison to Auckland which is shithouse lol). Just don't live in the south or west I guess?