Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Ah yes gloamy. I definitely understand what colour that implies.

The time of day immediately following sunset. synonyms: crepuscle, crepuscule, dusk, evenfall, fall, gloaming, nightfall, twilight. types: night. a shortening of nightfall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homer_in_the_Gloamin%27

Only reason I know the color

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
twilight is orange! citation: Kingdom Hearts 2! this whole drat court is out of order!!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

A lot of plot confusion in Soulsborne games could be resolved if From would give lore characters actual names and not just vague sobriquets.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Flytrap posted:

and Melina has that kind of nurturing air to her
does she really though

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Coolness Averted posted:

I'd say, it's much more likely that either
A. You're seeing a family resemblance. Melina is most likely Marika's daughter, afterall. Though given Ranni's own ruthless nature, there's even the chance Melina was Ranni's daughter.
B. Ranni's body/the appearance you see is based on Melina. It's just a doll and not her true form. FromSoft has used the trope of dolls modeled after others before, with Maria and the doll in Bloobourne.

I lean more towards it being manufactured. they're also probably supposed to look alike since they were likely both designed for similar purposes. Melina however seems to have embraced her destiny, while Ranni rejects it. The fact Ranni's spirit isn't destroyed or damaged from Melina's sacrifice also implies they aren't the same, since Radagon/Marika carry over their damaged form between both personas. Though there is the possibility she is an offshoot or seperated part of Ranni.

The biggest thing that indicates a connection to me is that Melina is missing her left eye while Ranni is missing her right eye, and if Melina is alive during the Frenzy ending, she shows up at the end with both eyes, and her left eye now looks like Ranni’s.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Half-wit posted:

My take: I feel like Melina is an agent of the Three Fingers/The Lord of Frenzied Flame based on the eye tattoo. I'd say, no, burning the Erdtree not in accordance with the Greater Will; definitely in accordance with The Lord of Frenzied Flame.

Uhh that's the one thing she explicitly is NOT lol

E: extremely beaten

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7082418536907427077

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Ah yes gloamy. I definitely understand what colour that implies.

Just after sunset/dusk

Which to me would imply orange red

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Funky Valentine posted:

A lot of plot confusion in Soulsborne games could be resolved if From would give lore characters actual names and not just vague sobriquets.

I enjoy that kind of tension.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Augus posted:

The biggest thing that indicates a connection to me is that Melina is missing her left eye while Ranni is missing her right eye, and if Melina is alive during the Frenzy ending, she shows up at the end with both eyes, and her left eye now looks like Ranni’s.

Oh yeah. There's definitely a connection between the two, and stuff like their eyes is meant to be an obvious element.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
What’s the weapon skill where you somersault and bring a glowing red giant sword down vertically

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

McCoy Pauley posted:

Thanks. I've done all that except for the very last part, but at least in one regard seem to be hung up on Haight not leaving his original spot to go back to Ft. Haight. I suspect my issue is more with him than Nepheli, but I'll try advancing the Nepheli part further (although I think I gave her the last thing I can give to her).

If everything else is done and they're still not moving, you have to actually rest at Godrick The Grafted's site of grace. Even if you fast travelled to it, still gotta rest at it. Then they should be at the throne room.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
it's cool going back through the game and re-discovering some characters who show up early that i completely failed to ever find again and forgot existed.

i think i missed about 80% of the NPC questlines. in fact the only one i'm sure i finished was ranni.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Started a new run playing as a caster. Wow this really puts the game in easy mode. I'll just cast spells at the Tree Sentinel... WTF! Its shield has Golden Retaliation!

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

A few things, on Radagon and Marika Radagon was Marika when married to Rennala, a sculptor from the capitol came to visit Liurnia to make a statue of Radagon and discovered his secret. Which is contextually discovered in the capitol, Radagon is Marika and always was. She also removed the Rune of Death from th Elden Ring so she and her family would be immortal.

On Melina and Ranni the injury to their eye is very different, Melina has a weird 3 clawed burn mark around hers, Ranni has a sort of starry teardrop motif from her soul. My guess is that the reason Melina hates the three fingers and frenzied flame so much is she directly had interaction with them to become the Flames of Ruin/Destruction bearer (which she mentions in the Frenzy ending). Although, that’s also possibly the name of the Fell God of the Fire Giants, which would explain why she can rekindle their forge. Ranni’s eye seal would in turn be the Dark Moon.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 4, 2022

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I sorta like how the godskin apostile and noble are like a mockery of ornstein and smough.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Spergatory posted:

The Sellen questline ending is low key hilarious. She stands all triumphant in the Grand Library like "THE CARIAN QUEEN HAS BEEN VANQUISHED" and then one reload later she's a ball of party hats and Renalla is back like nothing happened. And the best part is that Renalla has absolutely nothing to say about it. It's a total non event for her. She's got an entire boulder of Burger Kings just chilling in the corner now and she barely even notices. Nice coup, Sellen! :thumbsup:

It loving rules. The fact Sellen very nicely but very condescendingly tells you that she'll let you hang out if you gently caress up and fail to become Elden Lord before all that makes it even better :allears:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

SHISHKABOB posted:

I wish there was more super heavy armor in the game. Lionel's outfit is kind of lame.

fake edit: i guess a lot of this stuff at the top has pretty similar defense/damage negation as Lionel's set...

There's only four other sets with equivalent poise/protection. Bull-goat, Omen, Veteran's, and Fire Prelate.

Sadly, they all look like rear end.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

stratdax posted:

If everything else is done and they're still not moving, you have to actually rest at Godrick The Grafted's site of grace. Even if you fast travelled to it, still gotta rest at it. Then they should be at the throne room.

Thanks. I think I just moved it forward and the key was that even though I had already rescued Haight on those ruins and cleared out his fort and gotten the reward I also had to kill the demi-humans underneath his starting point a second time, and that got his dialogue to advance. Weird

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

*runs in panting*

I have an important announcement to make about Great Stars/Butchering Knife and Gravitas. Keep your eye on the health bar:

:haw:

This is now my new favorite move. Gravitas also absolutely fucks up fliers so it's extra awesome

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I'm sorry, wtf Prayerful Strike heals 30% of your max HP with every hit????

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

repiv posted:

If he's such a good boy where is he during the final boss :colbert:

Not his fault when you lose track of the whistle yet again and are unable to summon him.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Put that whistle in your pouch .

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

If Torrent was a good boy he'd pump Vig. Or learn how to shoot fireballs from his mouth like certain other horses.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Torrent has plenty of health, what he needs is some fuckin poise. Feels almost totally random if a hit is gonna leave him unfazed or send me careening to the floor open for a crit. Doesn't seem to have anything to do with the amount of health he loses either.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

Put that whistle in your pouch .

I do, but sometimes I reach for it and it isn’t there. Then I stand there taking hits while groping around for it unsuccessfully like a moron.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Flytrap posted:

Torrent has plenty of health, what he needs is some fuckin poise. Feels almost totally random if a hit is gonna leave him unfazed or send me careening to the floor open for a crit. Doesn't seem to have anything to do with the amount of health he loses either.

There's supposedly some effect dex has on the likelihood of being knocked off, but hell if I know what it is. Or for that matter why you'll sit there for 30 seconds waiting for that crit, but you have to practically be dismounting and on top of an enemy you just knocked off their horse to maybe still get a crit in before they're back on their feet.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Tried to go back to play DS2 after beating Elden Ring because it’s the only Souls I haven’t replayed recently and….I think after DS3, Bloodborne, and ER I just can’t go back to the old gameplay. I mean it doesn’t help that DS2 is the worst playing of the souls games but still.

So I came back to ER for an NG+ run and my arcane bleed build is just shredding everything in it’s path, it’s insane.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

you fuckers better not be gloamin' in here!

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
Dunno why but one of my favorite things has been helping as a summon at the spiritcaller cave and after defeating skinny and plump sort, sitting down at the spirit snail letting the host take em out.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Just had a weird glitch and was wondering if it happened to anyone else. Was fighting the Ulcerated Tree Spirit on Mt. Gelmir to get the crystla tear for my caster. The Tree Spirit did a dash attack, seemed to get stuck on the wooden spikes. It just froze mid attack and I just blasted it with glint stone shards until it died. Anyone had this happen? Not complaining, it was great since I hate fighting the tree spirits.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I had one of the sewer lobsters' ai break and it stopped moving and it was great because honestly gently caress those things.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Professor Beetus posted:

I had one of the sewer lobsters' ai break and it stopped moving and it was great because honestly gently caress those things.

I was watching WoolieVS fight the Runebear boss and after mashing out of the bear hug, the runebear decided to just fall through the floor and die.

"We take those"

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I managed to finally beat the Elden Beast...with the Carian Retaliation glitch. I'll be honest, I have no problem using summons and magic, but I do feel like that was a bit of a cheap trick. I don't think there's really a way for me to go back and do it again, cause I'm not going back and replaying the whole game for that one fight. Maybe I should just put down a summon sign and help other people until I beat it "legitimately"? I don't know, I feel a bit incorrect saying I "beat" Elden Ring at this point. Maybe I should just go back and finish Sekiro or Bloodborne.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I managed to finally beat the Elden Beast...with the Carian Retaliation glitch. I'll be honest, I have no problem using summons and magic, but I do feel like that was a bit of a cheap trick. I don't think there's really a way for me to go back and do it again, cause I'm not going back and replaying the whole game for that one fight. Maybe I should just put down a summon sign and help other people until I beat it "legitimately"? I don't know, I feel a bit incorrect saying I "beat" Elden Ring at this point. Maybe I should just go back and finish Sekiro or Bloodborne.

Just help someone else if it makes you feel better about yourself after this terrible crime.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Hiro Protagonist posted:

. Maybe I should just put down a summon sign and help other people until I beat it "legitimately"?

i won last night legit but have spent the last few hrs just helping others with malenia and Godfrey. it’s fun as hell and feels great when you win

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

I was watching WoolieVS fight the Runebear boss and after mashing out of the bear hug, the runebear decided to just fall through the floor and die.

"We take those"

There was another streamer grinding Melania and eventually after respawning she just died before they even entered her arena, presumably she fell through the floor, and it counted as a win

I don't remember that being an issue in the other Souls games

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Glitches are part of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Flankensttein: A name given to a FPS gamer who constantly flanks to get kills.

"So I was playing COD yesterday, and some flankenstein came up from behind and shot me."
If you are on pc and get the invisible enemies glitch I was able to fix it by having my graphics card optimize the graphics then I reloaded and the enemies were visible again.