Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Saukkis posted:

The latest report from ISW claims north-west of Kyiv has been cleared of Russians and all have returned to Belarus. Frankly I find it hard to believe that simply because of logistical ineptitude, it doesn't feel possible for Russians to have withdrawn this quickly and I haven't seen reports of mass surrenders either.

The full text states that the Russian withdrawal was disorderly enough that pockets of troops were left behind, and the Ukrainian military is in the process of cleaning them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Cimber posted:

Thats because management succeeds (read: Gets promoted) by adopting the Next Big Thing!(tm) early and showing gains and productivity saves. Extending the paradigm in the scrums can give proof to an Agile Work Environment with cost saves!

Splash in some neuroscience, play a Brené Brown video, and claim your book was #1 on the Harvard TED Talk Yale bestseller list and my MegaCorp will give you six figures to consult and I’ll be tripping over unopened boxes of your book we bought in bulk and never bothered to distribute.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

My company loves Toyota Production System and would gargle ohno's balls if they could

It is NOT fantastic if you're not building cars on a production line.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I worked for a place that did pretty much all of the Toyota Business Buzzword stuff, and they were a batch job manufacturer with a fairly customized range of products. Said company went bankrupt years ago.

Poor JIT implementation is likely responsible for a lot of the supply crunch of the last two years, but might still be better than Russian military logistics.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

A.o.D. posted:

The only thing the security council needs to consider is whether or not to expel Russia.

I'm not by any means minimizing the atrocities in Ukraine, but being a permanent member pretty much means that a country is one of the biggest assholes on a globe full of assholes.

The US raped and murdered its way through Vietnam, China is still engaged in a multi-decade genocide in its western regions, France tortured and murdered Algeria until it got bored and left, and the UK is the loving UK.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

A lot of Russias token clowns are safely in the Donbas but this is his new home so he has nowhere else to go. Good luck with the Ukrainian counterattack cowboy

I feel like someone is going to end up with a namechange to "Donbas Dumbass" before this war is over. Not it.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Stultus Maximus posted:

I'm not by any means minimizing the atrocities in Ukraine, but being a permanent member pretty much means that a country is one of the biggest assholes on a globe full of assholes.

The US raped and murdered its way through Vietnam, China is still engaged in a multi-decade genocide in its western regions, France tortured and murdered Algeria until it got bored and left, and the UK is the loving UK.

If nothing else, the threat of it is potential leverage. It's another means of escalating diplomatic pressure without actually involving the threat of military action.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Midjack posted:

I feel like someone is going to end up with a namechange to "Donbas Dumbass" before this war is over. Not it.

Pending thread title

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Taerkar posted:

I worked for a place that did pretty much all of the Toyota Business Buzzword stuff, and they were a batch job manufacturer with a fairly customized range of products. Said company went bankrupt years ago.

Poor JIT implementation is likely responsible for a lot of the supply crunch of the last two years, but might still be better than Russian military logistics.

10 years prior to the other two places (and pre-Army, pre-9/11), the shipyard I worked at, which made a ton of money as a repair yard, and lost a ton of money on the new ship side (due to such great management as making two entire right halves of a ship and not realizing it until it was time to flip the modules and put them together), hired a new President. He was a Six Sigma fanatic, who came from a lightbulb factory.

Despite massive pushback from every single person there with a clue, he ordered us to sell, for scrap metal prices, all the rusty looking pieces of steel laying around in grass lots around the yard. You know, specialized jigs the yard had made over decades for jobs and kept, jobs for very specific equipment and ships that were repeat customers, who used us because we had them ready to go for quick turnaround repairs to major systems. Jigs that, when they weren't being used, looked just like big pieces of rusting steel in a field to morons who didn't listen to subordinates.

Unsurprisingly, the money-making repair side very quickly made less money, as repair jobs went over on time. Eventually, the owner of the yard realized what was happening, and fired him, in the most hosed up way I've ever seen anyone be fired. See, he was British (the yard President). And he went home for Christmas. While he was there, the company pulled sponsorship of his work visa. And didn't tell him.

He found out when he tried to board a plane at Heathrow.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

GD_American posted:

10 years prior to the other two places (and pre-Army, pre-9/11), the shipyard I worked at, which made a ton of money as a repair yard, and lost a ton of money on the new ship side (due to such great management as making two entire right halves of a ship and not realizing it until it was time to flip the modules and put them together), hired a new President. He was a Six Sigma fanatic, who came from a lightbulb factory.

Despite massive pushback from every single person there with a clue, he ordered us to sell, for scrap metal prices, all the rusty looking pieces of steel laying around in grass lots around the yard. You know, specialized jigs the yard had made over decades for jobs and kept, jobs for very specific equipment and ships that were repeat customers, who used us because we had them ready to go for quick turnaround repairs to major systems. Jigs that, when they weren't being used, looked just like big pieces of rusting steel in a field to morons who didn't listen to subordinates.

Unsurprisingly, the money-making repair side very quickly made less money, as repair jobs went over on time. Eventually, the owner of the yard realized what was happening, and fired him, in the most hosed up way I've ever seen anyone be fired. See, he was British (the yard President). And he went home for Christmas. While he was there, the company pulled sponsorship of his work visa. And didn't tell him.

He found out when he tried to board a plane at Heathrow.

Lmao I love this story

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My mom’s boss got told in his first week that they needed him to fire a guy. So he did. Then they told him since he was also going to the airport that day he should give the guy he just fired a ride. So it was a lovely but uneventful 20 minutes to the airport, but then the fired guy starts screaming at a ticketing agent and gets security called on him. Luckily boss man was at a different gate.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Armacham posted:

Lmao I love this story

Same way you fire anyone who has admin credentials to your network. Their first clue they're fired should be the badge swipe/computer login don't work.

Anyone who is in position to do serious damage to your company on the way out the door should not be told they're shitcanned until you can ensure they can't gently caress poo poo up when they find out they're fired.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Recently I was on a USNS ship that had a civilian IT I really liked but he was terribly self destructive drunk. Anyways he got smashed in Gaeta right after I left the ship and got into a fist fight with the Italian guards. The civilian master of the ship had enough of him and basically got him fired and led off the ship but not before he was sent to his room where he had a computer with full admin rights to all the record keeping and set up the network to erase itself in two weeks. So of course it did and he managed to get arrested.
Then he drank himself into a coma and died.

Of course he was the only guy on the ship who could give/take admin rights.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

The most recent Darknet Diaries is an interview with a guy who was fired by an employer then several years later is in a bad mood and decides to check if they’ve updated their super admin password. They had not.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Crab Dad posted:

Recently I was on a USNS ship that had a civilian IT I really liked but he was terribly self destructive drunk. Anyways he got smashed in Gaeta right after I left the ship and got into a fist fight with the Italian guards. The civilian master of the ship had enough of him and basically got him fired and led off the ship but not before he was sent to his room where he had a computer with full admin rights to all the record keeping and set up the network to erase itself in two weeks. So of course it did and he managed to get arrested.

:catstare:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Hyrax Attack! posted:

The most recent Darknet Diaries is an interview with a guy who was fired by an employer then several years later is in a bad mood and decides to check if they’ve updated their super admin password. They had not.

That episode was basically an entire chorus of alarm bells for 1. keeping your emotions in check and 2. assume the person you’re about to fire is not going to do #1 so change every admin password you can think of.

I kind of felt bad for the main guy in that ep but he did not make things easier for himself.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Crab Dad posted:

:drat:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
If this is real we're all in big trouble.

https://twitter.com/sumlenny/status/1510910740261134338

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

That is...grim reading.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I promise I'm not stanning for Russia but that poo poo seems a bit beyond the pale. Is there any kind of confirmation, is that a good source? I want that to be false, basically.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Shooting Blanks posted:

I promise I'm not stanning for Russia but that poo poo seems a bit beyond the pale. Is there any kind of confirmation, is that a good source? I want that to be false, basically.

I have no way of knowing. That came to me via @osinttechnical.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Shooting Blanks posted:

https://ria.ru/20220403/ukraina-1781469605.html

Can just translate it via Google or DeepL yourself. The tweet's account of it mostly holds up, there's also stuff like:

"The terms of denazification can in no way be less than one generation, which must be born, grow up and reach maturity under the conditions of denazification. The nazification of Ukraine continued for more than 30 years, beginning at least in 1989, when Ukrainian nationalism received legal and legitimate forms of political expression and led the movement for "independence" towards Nazism."

"Denazification will inevitably also be a de-Ukrainization - a rejection of the large-scale artificial inflation of the ethnic component of self-identification of the population of the territories of historical Little Russia and New Russia, begun by the Soviet authorities. Being an instrument of the communist superpower, after its fall, artificial ethnocentrism did not remain ownerless. In this official capacity, he passed under the authority of another superpower (the power standing over the states) — the superpower of the West. It must be returned to its natural boundaries and deprived of political functionality."

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Shooting Blanks posted:

https://youtu.be/1qS6J-WbTD8

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

So, two weeks ago, I got dunked by multiple people because I posted this:

Tuna-Fish posted:

Even if Ukraine fully succeeds in cutting the road, Russia can still always get the men out.

Ukraine does not have the troops actually surrounding the forces, the lay of the rivers and bogs just means there's only one way for them to move vehicles in or out, and Ukraine can already shoot arty on that road, and might just cut it outright. If that happens, the Russian troops can evacuate by driving north as far as there is road, and then doing an afternoon's hike through a bog, including ~30m of swimming. The only way those men end up prisoners is if they decide they'd rather be in Ukrainian captivity than leave. Still, abandoning 2 CAAs worth of heavy equipment is embarrassing enough.

Right now, there are a lot of reports of Ukrainians finding looted valuables, guns, armor and other infantry equipment found strewn all over the southern bank of the Teteriv. You know, the small river they had to swim across to get away from the "pocket" after doing an afternoon hike in the bog.

I'm feeling mighty smug right now.

But my point being:

Saukkis posted:

The latest report from ISW claims north-west of Kyiv has been cleared of Russians and all have returned to Belarus. Frankly I find it hard to believe that simply because of logistical ineptitude, it doesn't feel possible for Russians to have withdrawn this quickly and I haven't seen reports of mass surrenders either.

It was hardly a well-executed withdrawal. The Russians reportedly took a bunch of heavy losses on the road near Ivankiv. But leaving behind all the heavy stuff, putting all your guys in trucks and gunning it for the border is a lot less of a logistical challenge than pulling off an offensive.

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

Yeah this could be wishful thinking on the writers part. Like how various Russian talk show hosts have been saying "eat poo poo Poland and Latvia we'll invade you next!" Something even Putin isn't stupid enough to do (knock on wood), and which would require an army that isn't currently being broken on the wheel of Ukraine.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Tuna-Fish posted:

So, two weeks ago, I got dunked by multiple people because I posted this:

Right now, there are a lot of reports of Ukrainians finding looted valuables, guns, armor and other infantry equipment found strewn all over the southern bank of the Teteriv. You know, the small river they had to swim across to get away from the "pocket" after doing an afternoon hike in the bog.

I'm feeling mighty smug right now.

But my point being:

It was hardly a well-executed withdrawal. The Russians reportedly took a bunch of heavy losses on the road near Ivankiv. But leaving behind all the heavy stuff, putting all your guys in trucks and gunning it for the border is a lot less of a logistical challenge than pulling off an offensive.

Your smugness is unwarranted. All that "dunking" was people saying "there's no way Russia could pull off an organized withdrawal," which you never bothered responding to and then, oh look, Russia emphatically did not pull off an organized withdrawal.

You don't get to roll in, say something along the lines of "Russia can get them out if they wanted to, it's just an easy stroll home" which sounds enough alike to "yeah, it won't be a problem for Russia to get those guys out in an organized manner" that several people say "there's no way to get them out in an organized manner" to which you don't bother to respond and then come in later and say "I told you guys I was right!"

That's not moving goalposts. That's moving the whole loving stadium.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
there are no victors, only victims and the people having to watch.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Russia moved the stadium to Russia and claimed victory

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I just wanted to bbe Tom Clancy.
:qqsay:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

In high school we had this lecturer come in and present military conflicts as a playoff bracket with the final round (after defeating the US and Soviet Union) as Afghanistan vs. Vietnam.

I wonder what that would look like today.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I wouldn't sleep on Vietnam, right after they finally got the french and americans to leave they had to turn around and kick China's rear end.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

shame on an IGA posted:

I wouldn't sleep on Vietnam, right after they finally got the french and americans to leave they had to turn around and kick China's rear end.

The Vietnamese are a fiercely determined, industrious, and independent people. To this day they have managed to stay in their own orbit, and have done a lot to improve their own fortunes and standard of living. They're what Juche pretends to be.

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011
Going to the Vietnamese Military History Museum in Hanoi was eye opening. For the past few thousand years they have been in a cycle of invasion -> occupation -> fierce resistance -> ejection of invaders -> independence -> repeat. Anybody who thinks that they can successfully hold Vietnam, has some serious delusions of being able to change the nature of things.

Also the museum was run by the military and took a the union mandated lunch break from 1130am - 1pm. We have way more in common than differences.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

shame on an IGA posted:

They also ended the Khmer Rouge and liberated Phnom Penh on the very day I was born.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Vietnam chat:

Currently reading this: https://www.amazon.com/Vietcong-Memoir-Account-Vietnam-Aftermath/dp/0394743091 which is this guy's memoir: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tr%C6%B0%C6%A1ng_Nh%C6%B0_T%E1%BA%A3ng

What makes it fascinating is not so much the particulars of watching his life transform from French educated upper class child to being tortured in a South Vietnamese regime prison, but the absolute soup sandwich of conflicting movements, alliances, and loyalties that are playing in the background.

Sadly, it's slightly less depressing than current events in Ukraine.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Fox talking about HUNTER BIDEN SCANDAL HEATS UP, UP NEXT BIDEN ABANDONS THE BORDER, UP AFTER THAT BRRAAAAAAAAGHFLFLDLLL

CNN talking about Bucha

gently caress Fox holy loving poo poo those people deserve to go to hell

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/OAlexanderDK/status/1510920467288317952?t=HH-W_8xxO6irq-FClBeOeg&s=19

I, too, enjoy posing with useless junk

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

GD_American posted:

They also ended the Khmer Rouge and liberated Phnom Penh on the very day I was born.

What was Phnom Penh doing nine months before, mmmm?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

We know, we’ve seen your OnlyFans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

What was Phnom Penh doing nine months before, mmmm?

You laugh, but before I left for Cambodia in 2020 I did ask my father half-jokingly if there were any ill-tempered mid-40s Eurasian kids who were good with a wrench and had bad backs I should know about.

He said “nah, we were there in 70 and I never got off the boat”.

The ARVN boats they were escorting up the Mekong, however, came back loaded to the gunwales with loot. I think one sunk.