Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

CaptainCrunch posted:

Ok I bought a 4K Asus ProArt monitor and the piece of poo poo goes to “no signal” ever time I reboot my Mac Studio.

Can someone other than comboomer or whoever the gently caress recommend a 32” 4K monitor that will work other than the iMac that’s not an iMac studio display?

Gigabyte M32U. I mean it really does work. But I just need to let my brain adapt to something different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

CaptainCrunch posted:

Ok I bought a 4K Asus ProArt monitor and the piece of poo poo goes to “no signal” ever time I reboot my Mac Studio.

Can someone other than comboomer or whoever the gently caress recommend a 32” 4K monitor that will work other than the iMac that’s not an iMac studio display?

I have one of these, it's OK i guess

https://www.amazon.com/BenQ-PD3200U...ps%2C113&sr=8-2

My recommendation is very tepid because I ended up getting a LG 5K and relegating this to be sort of a funny 32" TV attached to an old MBP which is now TVputer.

It does have a bunch of interesting wannabe pro monitor features, like a little puck on a cord with programmable hotkeys and OSD navigation, an ambient light sensor, touch sensitive "buttons" on the front which aren't real visible till you touch them, and a built-in 2:1 KVM. None of it is executed super well, but it's there. I doubt the color is on the same level as an Asus ProArt.

I haven't really tested driving it with Apple Silicon hardware though. Just a hackintosh and that old intel MBP.

p.s. you might want to check if that ProArt has any firmware updates available if you haven't returned it already

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

BobHoward posted:

p.s. you might want to check if that ProArt has any firmware updates available if you haven't returned it already

It did. I borrowed a friends pc and did the update and it worked.

Once.

Upon reboot it lost connection and nothing I do will make it see the USB C connection.

I am furious beyond compare. It’s a loving monitor. It says it does USB C connections. It does not. gently caress them for their false advertisement. Don’t waste my time or money.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Mine do the same thing same thing with my Mac. I solved it by using HDMI.

Occasionally I have to push the power button to force it out of sleep and to get the monitor to recognize an input, but that doesn’t bother me much. I used to have a Dell that had to sometimes be physically unplugged to get it to sync to DisplsyPort inputs. THAT was annoying.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Do these waking issues still happen with a good TB hub + hdmi/dp?

I know not all hubs are alike, I'm waiting for the CalDigit TS4 to come back into stock. But I'm hoping that solves any issue caused by the lack of TB monitors, even though it's a shite solution of throwing money + cables at a problem.

It's crazy that just telling a monitor to please just work is such a huge ask these days.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

CaptainCrunch posted:

I have this https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/benq/ew3270u

It works decently for gaming and Mac use (Mac looks best scaled to pretend it is 1440p). Occasionally it has some trouble reconnecting so I have to unplug it and plug it back in but that’s my laptop, so it’s not a constant connection like you’d have.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
I have one of these attached to my M1 Mac Mini and it's fantastic. Love it. Best monitor I've ever had for image editing stuff. Seems to be fully compatible with my Mac, other than volume controls. To control the in-screen volume, I had to install a third party app called eqMac. The speakers are garbage and I don't generally use them, anyway. I'm not a super elite pro image editor, but for my needs, it's fantastic.

https://www.viewsonic.com/us/vp3268-4k.html

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
That you again for all the suggestions. I've noted them down in case I need them. Meanwhile I got the monitor to work reliably with a DisplayPort to USB-C cable. So far the monitor has woken up every time today since I plugged it in. Only reason I didn't use the HDMI is that I have a TV plugged into that!

Oh and just in case anyone needs it: I have a Wacom Cintiq Pro 24p the Studio was not giving me the full resolution, topping out at some weird number like 3008x1692 or whatever. Rotated through cables see if ay would give me the full 4K for it. Turns out in MacOS's nanny control panel for displays you can option click the "scaled" button. That gives a list of numeric resolutions instead of the weird icons. With a "show all resolutions" checkbox. THAT revealed the 3840x2160 option I was looking for.

Perhaps folks knew this, but if you didn't I hope it helps.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

It's probably better to go DisplayPort anyway since the Mac Studio is limited to 60Hz over HDMI; even if you use an HDMI 2.1 to USB-C cable. HDMI 2.1 is needed for 4K@120, but DisplayPort 1.4 supports up to like 240Hz or something.

Anyway, I'd recommend *at least looking* at this one, the Gigabyte M32U. https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/gigabyte/m32u

It supports up to 144Hz over DP, IPS panel, has two HDMI 2.1 ports (if you ever want to plug a console in), and is priced super competitively. It's $599.99 on Amazon right now. https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-FreeSync-Compatible-3840x2160-Response/dp/B083GRVFXN

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

LODGE NORTH posted:

It's probably better to go DisplayPort anyway since the Mac Studio is limited to 60Hz over HDMI; even if you use an HDMI 2.1 to USB-C cable. HDMI 2.1 is needed for 4K@120, but DisplayPort 1.4 supports up to like 240Hz or something.

Anyway, I'd recommend *at least looking* at this one, the Gigabyte M32U. https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/gigabyte/m32u

It supports up to 144Hz over DP, IPS panel, has two HDMI 2.1 ports (if you ever want to plug a console in), and is priced super competitively. It's $599.99 on Amazon right now. https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-FreeSync-Compatible-3840x2160-Response/dp/B083GRVFXN

drat that’s a good deal. I paid $739 for this last weekend. I’m using hdmi now since my DisplayPort on my TB3 dock only does 4k30.

Would the DisplayPort alt mode using a usb-c cable work between a new pac book pro or studio (I will have both) enable 144hx 4K?

I ask because I’ve been googling this stuff for a week and haven’t found any actual answers or approaches. If usb c really works, I assume I need to plumb the depths of what kind of cable will actually work?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Mac Studio has shipped 4 weeks early. :getin:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
What spec did you get?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

drat that’s a good deal. I paid $739 for this last weekend. I’m using hdmi now since my DisplayPort on my TB3 dock only does 4k30.

Would the DisplayPort alt mode using a usb-c cable work between a new pac book pro or studio (I will have both) enable 144hx 4K?

I ask because I’ve been googling this stuff for a week and haven’t found any actual answers or approaches. If usb c really works, I assume I need to plumb the depths of what kind of cable will actually work?

It should, yeah, but you'd want something like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08B3XNZGS/

You more specifically want DisplayPort 1.4 to USB-C. That listing's title is weird, but it is indeed a DP 1.4 cable, so it has the bandwidth for 4K@144hz. It's the very same cable (I have two, even) I'm using now to get 4K at 144hz from my Mac Studio to my LG monitors. So, at least on the Mac Studio front, I know it'll work. I can't imagine there being any limitations on the MBP -- don't see why there would be, but I can't say for certain.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Yeast posted:

Mac Studio has shipped 4 weeks early. :getin:

gently caress yeah. let us know how it goes :)

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
these last 2 years have been such a turnaround for mac hardware, things were really dire back in 2018

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

LODGE NORTH posted:

It should, yeah, but you'd want something like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08B3XNZGS/

You more specifically want DisplayPort 1.4 to USB-C. That listing's title is weird, but it is indeed a DP 1.4 cable, so it has the bandwidth for 4K@144hz. It's the very same cable (I have two, even) I'm using now to get 4K at 144hz from my Mac Studio to my LG monitors. So, at least on the Mac Studio front, I know it'll work. I can't imagine there being any limitations on the MBP -- don't see why there would be, but I can't say for certain.

I got a similar usb c to display port that mentions similar specs and bandwidth as well as just a usb c cable to test.

And my studio also just shipped four weeks early. Now to see if I can get a price correction on my M32U I paid 739 for a week ago (it’s 599 now) and get a second one in stock anywhere.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

My Studio still says it's going to arrive between the 3rd and the 9th of may :(

Could just be delays with getting shipments to Australia I guess but this wait is interminable.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Lady Radia posted:

these last 2 years have been such a turnaround for mac hardware, things were really dire back in 2018

My current MBP is a 2018 13-inch. I bought it to proactively replace my 2012 13-inch...you know, the thick, heavy laptop with the optical drive and the crappy display. I have never stopped missing the 2012. I'm not due to replace the 2018 until next year. I'm like an 8-year-old waiting for Christmas.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

The Lord Bude posted:

What spec did you get?

DHL's back-end tracking is down, which is good, otherwise I'd be :f5:

Lady Radia posted:

gently caress yeah. let us know how it goes :)

Will do!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I guess the ultras were ready sooner

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

The Lord Bude posted:

I guess the ultras were ready sooner

I think the base-memory models are what got shipped at scale for the first drop.

I was eyeballing the Max 64gb, but missed that boat. Hesitated on the base Ultra until it dried up from both Apple’s site and the regional retail stores. Got an order in through Best Buy of all places a few days ago, they’re now sold out as well. Should show up in a week or so.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I ordered a studio with a 32 gpu core max and 1TB of SSD space. The wait wouldn't be so interminable if my current computer wasn't dying. I had to rip out the GPU and fall back on ancient Intel integrated graphics.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Apr 3, 2022

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I redid my 1tb max order on the edu store since I do work in education so my wait got extended by a week, but saved 230 bucks. Sigh

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Last Chance posted:

I redid my 1tb max order on the edu store since I do work in education so my wait got extended by a week, but saved 230 bucks. Sigh
I got the same sort of thing (base max with 1TB SSD) through the AU edu store and it showed up last week. It's pretty decent so far but the fan in it is audible a lot of the time (very quiet, but it's there) which surprised me a bit given my MBP at work is essentially the same spec and I don't think I've ever heard it make any noise.

On the note of external monitor stuff with them that someone mentioned earlier: it's being extremely weird with the USB-C to HDMI cable that I normally use to run an LG 27" 144Hz monitor that I have plugged into a TB3 dock for when I'm working remotely. On the 14" MBP it'll default to outputting 1440p at 120Hz whereas the Mac Studio is only doing 100Hz max at 1440p using the same cable.

I think I'd probably recommend using USB-C to DisplayPort if you can get it (or just USB-C on both ends if you have a monitor that supports it) since it's had no issues with my LG 5K.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Thank you, that’s good info. I did have to some research to figure out display cables I’d need. I settled on HDMI since my main display is 1440p and 75hz max, so HDMI will likely be okay if I don’t need 120hz?

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 3, 2022

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I walked in the Apple store and walked out with the macbook air 16gb, 1tb in gold. It's so nice and I am now a believer after having a mixed experience with the 2020 intel pro.
I'd like to get a handsome vertical stand with a dock to expand the ports while also hooking up to my big screen tv for watching vids. What are the best docks, stands, or whatever else that I may need to have a prime experience?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

My Studio that shipped early was the Max chip, 32 core GPU, 32Gb ram (I have 32 today and don’t max it out), and 4Tb storage (I’m at capacity with 3Tb today, and I think 4tb gives you faster storage on the studio).

It is still going to be so much faster than my 2015 iMac, I just couldn’t justify doubling the price for the Ultra. Though it was very, very tempting.

I figure if I can get the monitor stuff sorted with my MBP I can do the same thing with the Studio.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Ultimate Mango posted:

My Studio that shipped early was the Max chip, 32 core GPU, 32Gb ram (I have 32 today and don’t max it out), and 4Tb storage (I’m at capacity with 3Tb today, and I think 4tb gives you faster storage on the studio).

It is still going to be so much faster than my 2015 iMac, I just couldn’t justify doubling the price for the Ultra. Though it was very, very tempting.

I figure if I can get the monitor stuff sorted with my MBP I can do the same thing with the Studio.

What would grabbing the 32 core GPU meaningfully get me over the 24, besides the obvious answer of “about a third more compute”? I’d like to snag a Studio before the end of the year but want to see where I can afford to skimp. I guess what I’m really asking is what PC-level GPU the 24 core version stands versus the Vega 56-ish 32 core version.

edit: Really I’m looking for a non-TFLOP estimation of performance - as the Vega 56/64 looked impressive on paper but were beaten in non-compute applications by Nvidia cards with markedly lower compute performance, what kind of actual 3D and mixed use case grunt are we talking about coming from Apple’s parts?

Hasturtium fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 3, 2022

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Beats me, according to Eclectic Mac the only kernel extensions updated in 12.3.1 include some AMD drivers, some AppleIntel drivers, and some Safari / WebKit / JavaScript frameworks..

Looks like those AppleIntel driver fixed it. I can now unplug without crashing (so far, over a few days of unplugging my TB cables).

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Last Chance posted:

Thank you, that’s good info. I did have to some research to figure out display cables I’d need. I settled on HDMI since my main display is 1440p and 75hz max, so HDMI will likely be okay if I don’t need 120hz?
That was one of the resolution/refresh options that was available for me so you'll be fine. I'm using a cheap UGREEN USB-C to HDMI cable I got from Amazon for reference so if you get better quality or maybe an active cable it might be better.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Hasturtium posted:

What would grabbing the 32 core GPU meaningfully get me over the 24, besides the obvious answer of “about a third more compute”? I’d like to snag a Studio before the end of the year but want to see where I can afford to skimp. I guess what I’m really asking is what PC-level GPU the 24 core version stands versus the Vega 56-ish 32 core version.

edit: Really I’m looking for a non-TFLOP estimation of performance - as the Vega 56/64 looked impressive on paper but were beaten in non-compute applications by Nvidia cards with markedly lower compute performance, what kind of actual 3D and mixed use case grunt are we talking about coming from Apple’s parts?

By all accounts I made a mistake getting the 32 core gpu over the 24. I upgraded because I didn’t want to spend thousands more on the Ultra but $200 for some small amount of future proofing seemed worth it to me. It would have been at least $1500 more to getting the ultra and really the studio at all is overkill.

If I could get a mini with 32Gb of ram and 4tb of storage I would have done that.

After more research it seems the smart buys are the base studio, the base ultra, or just going hog wild if you need the fastest machine possible due to your actual workload (compared to Mac Pro pricing).

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Ultimate Mango posted:

By all accounts I made a mistake getting the 32 core gpu over the 24. I upgraded because I didn’t want to spend thousands more on the Ultra but $200 for some small amount of future proofing seemed worth it to me. It would have been at least $1500 more to getting the ultra and really the studio at all is overkill.

If I could get a mini with 32Gb of ram and 4tb of storage I would have done that.

After more research it seems the smart buys are the base studio, the base ultra, or just going hog wild if you need the fastest machine possible due to your actual workload (compared to Mac Pro pricing).

If the 24 core version is in the neighborhood of a Radeon RX 580 I’ll be happy. Lord knows the main use case for my Studio wouldn’t be gaming, but I’d like to make sure I’m not missing something really valuable by skimping $200 there.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
The M1 Pro with 16 cores is perfectly good for 1080p gaming and depending on how much you care about frame rate, 1440p.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Hasturtium posted:

If the 24 core version is in the neighborhood of a Radeon RX 580 I’ll be happy. Lord knows the main use case for my Studio wouldn’t be gaming, but I’d like to make sure I’m not missing something really valuable by skimping $200 there.

Yeah don’t be me. I made a fear based decision based on not enough research.

I will be gaming on mine. Using PS5 remote play. And maybe disco elesium which works on Mac I guess.

And in other news I was able to get my rebate from the price drop on the Gigabyte M32U from micro center. They were out of stock since the $599 price drop but B&H Photo had it for that price and it will be here in time for my studio’s arrival on Wednesday.

I am not looking forward to redoing my whole desk and cables.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’ll never not remind the thread I bought an Intel Mini and an Intel Air in 2020 not knowing the M1s were around the corner. So don’t worry about feeling stupid about spending $200 more than planned.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I bought TWO 13” Intel MBPs AFTER they announced M1 but before they released because “how fast could an iPhone cpu be?” :suicide:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

FCKGW posted:

I bought TWO 13” Intel MBPs AFTER they announced M1 but before they released because “how fast could an iPhone cpu be?” :suicide:

Well that was silly.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

FCKGW posted:

can’t say I’m surprised lol

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The Lord Bude posted:

Well that was silly.

I ended up trading them in for M1 Airs so it worked out in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

EL BROMANCE posted:

I’ll never not remind the thread I bought an Intel Mini and an Intel Air in 2020 not knowing the M1s were around the corner. So don’t worry about feeling stupid about spending $200 more than planned.