Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Durf posted:

please let this be the nail in the coffin of superhero films

https://twitter.com/staticbluebat/status/1510487051212398594?s=20&t=wlr8KN6pqwxomYFG1KkAJA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

they should've made Morbius dress in his disco-rear end 70s style jumpsuit costume then maybe people would want to see that film

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

It just occurred to me that it's 100% Megan Fox

and yeah Denise Richards is cool it wouldn't be fair to compare her to Leto

I still feel the need to point out that her character in the Bayformers movies is named Michaela Banes

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I still feel the need to point out that her character in the Bayformers movies is named Michaela Banes

Lol she's the author insert

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

id only meant to post the second one but yeah laurence olivier kind of is a dick now that i think about it

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
so does Morbius have the finger suckers or what

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
I always forget Leto was in Fight Club

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I can easily determine no Chris Pratt, no member of the avengers, your marvel movie gonna be dull

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

indigi posted:

so does Morbius have the finger suckers or what

nah i think that was just the cartoon

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Fully endorse more hot mom parts for Jennifer Connelly btw

make her the next aunt may now that that's established as a hot mom part, why not

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
she's pretty good in the snowpiercer show. always thought she was a fox. she was in alita as well, so it's not she fell off the earth.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

RE that Berlatsky take earlier:

https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/1510126946843344896?t=yG2DLY0v7P_d-0uZ-Iatjg&s=09

Lol

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Leto won an Oscar for Dallas Buyer's Club. I think that gives him a bit more fuel to burn before he's considered washed up.

I don't think he was eye-candy on the level of a Denise Richards. Not sure if I can think of a male equivalent of that kind of sexbomb status since Hollywood's pretty sexist and I feel like men in Hollywood get unjust career chances despite their looks, not because of them.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

i mean I hate to even tangentially defend berlatsky here but Dracula in the original novel was pretty far from a critique of the upper class. yes he was a count but it wasn’t from a “real” nobility like Britain, his home is described as all kinds of busted and overall he’s got a consistent depiction of being some filthy but exotic foreigner here to steal our women and pretend to be a real person, not the swarthy rat-being he actually is. he’s not a stand-in for marginalized people but the count as written probably has more similarity to, like, the Hollywood depiction of a cartel lord or banana republic dictator in the pop culture framework than to any class-aware depiction of a rich oligarch

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Ryan Gosling and Timothee Chalamet come to mind as recent male sex symbols but I cannot call either of them bad actors

Brad Pitt is the classic of the form and he's good; Clooney is at least competent

Is Henry Cavill a good actor or just a good Geralt?

e: men in Hollywood are more likely to get parts they don't deserve and can't actually play because of martial-arts prowess than good looks (lookin' at you, Stallone)

loquacius has issued a correction as of 02:31 on Apr 4, 2022

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

i mean I hate to even tangentially defend berlatsky here but Dracula in the original novel was pretty far from a critique of the upper class. yes he was a count but it wasn’t from a “real” nobility like Britain, his home is described as all kinds of busted and overall he’s got a consistent depiction of being some filthy but exotic foreigner here to steal our women and pretend to be a real person, not the swarthy rat-being he actually is. he’s not a stand-in for marginalized people but the count as written probably has more similarity to, like, the Hollywood depiction of a cartel lord or banana republic dictator in the pop culture framework than to any class-aware depiction of a rich oligarch

Thinking of vampires first and foremost as symbolizing the "outsider" as Berlatsky apparently does is a sort of guy-who's-only-seen-Boss-Baby type thing but for Twilight tbh

I can see where you're coming from vis-a-vis Dracula (I haven't actually read the novel) but I think you can make a much stronger case for vampires being The Aristocrat Monster (where, eg, zombies are The Unwashed Masses Monster) than you could for them being whatever Berlatsky is trying to say they are

Basically I can't really read your post as even a tangential defense of Berlatsky so no worries there I guess

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

knowing nothing about the story behind it, in retrospect it was probably bad timing for a movie where Matthew Mcconnoghey screams gently caress you at every medical professional he sees and takes a bunch of Herbalife supplements and horse tranquilizers from Mexico to treat his AIDS to get released to critical acclaim and win all the awards right before a global pandemic

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

God Hole posted:

knowing nothing about the story behind it, in retrospect it was probably bad timing for a movie where Matthew Mcconnoghey screams gently caress you at every medical professional he sees and takes a bunch of Herbalife supplements and horse tranquilizers from Mexico to treat his AIDS to get released to critical acclaim and win all the awards right before a global pandemic

The film was a drop in the bucket, because a lot of Hollywood movies are about : Living in a world, where it's one man bucking against the trend of the established hierarchy.

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 03:16 on Apr 4, 2022

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

God Hole posted:

I still think it’s wild how much the original UK version of Utopia paralleled the current COVID/vaccine conspiracy theories. I rewatched the first season recently and was kind of shook by how prescient it was.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

dallas buyers club was released in 2013. id like to experience whatever hosed up time dilation that interprets 2013 as right before the pandemic

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

For the past few months this song has been bouncing in and out of my mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnBDMpEREis

and was wondering if anyone had any good recommendations for something like this. Songs that have a kind of upbeat, nostalgic, teenage love vibe. Doesn't need to be kpop, ofc.

I don't really listen to a lot of R&B, so I don't really have a place to start, so any good recs are appreciated

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

babypolis posted:

dallas buyers club was released in 2013. id like to experience whatever hosed up time dilation that interprets 2013 as right before the pandemic

I have no idea when anything happens anymore.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

loquacius posted:

I can see where you're coming from vis-a-vis Dracula (I haven't actually read the novel) but I think you can make a much stronger case for vampires being The Aristocrat Monster (where, eg, zombies are The Unwashed Masses Monster) than you could for them being whatever Berlatsky is trying to say they are

oh, vampires in general (especially post-Blade) have absolutely slid into a niche as a stand-in for aristocratic evil, I'm just talking specifically about the original novel and most of the earlier adaptations, because people always say "oh it's actually about Class because Dracula is a villainous Count" and like, no, that's not the vibe at all going on there and you're going to severely confuse your analysis of the novel if you try to come at it from that angle exclusively

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

loquacius posted:

e: men in Hollywood are more likely to get parts they don't deserve and can't actually play because of martial-arts prowess than good looks (lookin' at you, Stallone)

Stallone can act well (Rocky, Copland, arguably Rambo) but he’s not in movies where he’s supposed to act well. I’d say he’s perfect in Demolition Man and Cliffhanger but it’s not like he was trying (or required) to be Marlon Brando out there. I don’t think they make movies like those anymore really, big schlock that treats itself seriously as opposed to nudging and winking at the audience the entire time

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

indigi posted:

Stallone can act well (Rocky, Copland, arguably Rambo) but he’s not in movies where he’s supposed to act well. I’d say he’s perfect in Demolition Man and Cliffhanger but it’s not like he was trying (or required) to be Marlon Brando out there. I don’t think they make movies like those anymore really, big schlock that treats itself seriously as opposed to nudging and winking at the audience the entire time

theres a chapo episode where matt makes a compelling argument for the orange julius snk sketch being stallones best performance

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I still don't know why everyone on the internet seems to hate Jared Leto so much. I've never heard such vitriol about him expressed by people I work with, random people I encounter at work, people at bars, friends of mine, acquaintances of mine, loves of mine, or anything else. But it doesn't matter what forum or what platform you engage with on the internet, everyone hates Jared Leto. There's probably a tiny niche forum that's entirely focused on discussing a specific part of a car transmission that has people posting how much they hate Jared Leto right this second. I don't get it. I've tried to get it. I'm trying to get it, right now, with this post.

He's a good actor. He might be a lovely person, but he's definitely a good actor.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I still don't know why everyone on the internet seems to hate Jared Leto so much.

He might be a lovely person

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
But there's so many lovely people in Hollywood no one seems to cause as much online hatred as Jared Leto

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

People on the internet hate him like they hated Barney in 1996

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

And again, the big thing is why don't I see Jared Leto hate in the regular day to day? Why is it only on the internet?

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

I think that 99% of it comes down to this picture:

After this first promo image for the Joker from Suicide Squad came out it became popular to rag on Jared Leto.

That and all of the insane poo poo that he claims he did to get into character. It makes him come across as an rear end in a top hat who just sucks but thinks that he owns.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
he has a weird sex cult and is a serial abuser

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
'why do people hate R. Kelly so much, do you hate Trapped In The Closet or something????'

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

I still don't know why everyone on the internet seems to hate Jared Leto so much. I've never heard such vitriol about him expressed by people I work with, random people I encounter at work, people at bars, friends of mine, acquaintances of mine, loves of mine, or anything else. But it doesn't matter what forum or what platform you engage with on the internet, everyone hates Jared Leto. There's probably a tiny niche forum that's entirely focused on discussing a specific part of a car transmission that has people posting how much they hate Jared Leto right this second. I don't get it. I've tried to get it. I'm trying to get it, right now, with this post.

He's a good actor. He might be a lovely person, but he's definitely a good actor.

He’s not exceptional or noteworthy enough to justify casting him over the 100+ equally qualified actors in the queue for a given role, which I think stokes a resentment unique to the entertainment industry as people ask why they cast This Guy specifically.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Leto is definitely a pedo and probably channels that through his weird sex cult mentioned above

God Hole has issued a correction as of 04:11 on Apr 4, 2022

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

TeenageArchipelago posted:

I think that 99% of it comes down to this picture:

It’s the abuse, harassment, cult and underage fan stuff that most people I know complain about but yeah the Joker stuff is not popular either.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

oh, vampires in general (especially post-Blade) have absolutely slid into a niche as a stand-in for aristocratic evil, I'm just talking specifically about the original novel and most of the earlier adaptations, because people always say "oh it's actually about Class because Dracula is a villainous Count" and like, no, that's not the vibe at all going on there and you're going to severely confuse your analysis of the novel if you try to come at it from that angle exclusively

Dracula, and a good deal of the early Vampire stories like Carmilla, are mostly about how we must protect our defenseless White British upper class womenfolk from the sexual depravity of the subhuman Eastern European. Even the ones that don’t have the xenophobia angle, like Varney the Vampire and The Vampyre, still have the victim as an upper class British woman.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Trixie Hardcore posted:

It’s the abuse, harassment, cult and underage fan stuff that most people I know complain about but yeah the Joker stuff is not popular either.

I dunno I think you just hate that your precious Marvel fave, Morbius The Living Vampire, was disrespected!!!!

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Trixie Hardcore posted:

yeah, wasn't aware of that at all until the person above posted it, but just read an article and, uhhh, yikes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Anyways, I made a list:

Upper classes = Vampires (live in castles)
Upper-Middle classes = Mummies (can afford expensive burials)
Middle classes = Swamp Creatures (some are canonically doctors)
Lower-Middle classes = Werewolves (can afford to replace chains each month)
Lower classes = Frankensteins (many are unhoused)