Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy

Horseshoe theory posted:

Not even at night? :thunk:

i'm going to sleep wearing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I will simply drink the condensation from my breath

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
havin' a nice sit in the back yard with my birds.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
https://twitter.com/MeetJess/status/1510751271296380936?t=hYW0iuJEJghw2QsbRBLHmA&s=19

Hell yes, the waves are like 3 months apart now

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

is XE ba2?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Isn't it the Academi variant? :thunk:

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

We're going to make this virus as transmissible as possible before admitting we should try to prevent people from transmitting it.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
omicron trim levels

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Horseshoe theory posted:

Isn't it the Academi variant? :thunk:

Brownwater

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

euphronius posted:

is XE ba2?

No this is a new one, the variants start coming and they don’t stop coming.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

musk's son variant

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I mean technically it’s a mutant hybrid of BA.1 and BA.2 so I guess it’s kinda BA.2?

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

is Elon Musk naming these variants now?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I mean technically it’s a mutant hybrid of BA.1 and BA.2 so I guess it’s kinda BA.2?

BABA 12

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
elon musk joke

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Compiled the variants graph for the most recent week of results for WA (week beginning Mar. 20th) though this only contains ~200 sequences and should be considered incomplete.

GISAID is still using the Feb. 28th version of Pango for lineage assignments. I don't expect Washington state to have anything of the more recently assigned things like XE, though I would have expected an update to at least an early-March version. Not sure when they plan to roll the next Pango update in.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIlNIVXpIns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgwCVQdW1HM

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
And another one dot gee eye eff

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Given how ridiculously fast BA.1 spread, I honestly don’t even know how to make sense of increased transmissibility at this point. I guess it’s something like less average time near an infected person that you’d need to get infected? Even faster doubling time in a susceptible population?

It’s like we have something that weighs 100 tons, which is super-heavy, and then you add another ton onto it, making it even heavier, but it was already so massive to begin with. :shrug:

Anyway, *turns on monitor*

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

ah that's my Monday morning email settled

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Zugzwang posted:

Given how ridiculously fast BA.1 spread, I honestly don’t even know how to make sense of increased transmissibility at this point. I guess it’s something like less average time near an infected person that you’d need to get infected? Even faster doubling time in a susceptible population?

It’s like we have something that weighs 100 tons, which is super-heavy, and then you add another ton onto it, making it even heavier, but it was already so massive to begin with. :shrug:

humans : omicron variants :: horses : death

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

it sounds like Shanghai municipal govt hosed up lockdown bad, heads are gonna roll

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
kid still in the NICU, hopefully discharged tomorrow

blows my mind the amount of parents I see coming into a motherfucking hospital which is where the motherfucking covid lives and motherfucking makes itself tenants and aren’t wearing a mask and neither is their kid

and it’s a children’s hospital and if you’re there with your kid it means they’re at risk for at least some loving reason! I love my daughter so much and she is like days old, why are people like this, I hate everyone

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

how can they keep becoming more contagious

at what point is covid going to launch itself from 3 miles away and assault me in my house like a laser-guided bomb

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Also trying to distract and not think too much about the sudden/rapid reduction in case numbers in England that everyone else is going to use like (Denmark's decline in case #) and wave it around like it's victory.

All of my in-laws are in the UK and they're good people. I get worried about them a lot and this is really not going to help. Sister-in-law was a nurse in COVID wards way back at the beginning and over the following two years, despite getting transferred out into her dream field, was so burnt out and disillusioned that she quit being a nurse all together in Feb.

I'm just trying to mentally prepare myself, as well as be kind to myself, and limit my responses to when I inevitably see it pop up with people unfamiliar with the context. Make sure I keep it short, or share only a news article or two. Something like saying hey, it's because they stopped providing free tests to the vast majority of the population. A lot of people were able to report at-home tests and it was wildly popular, but now there is no method for someone to report their positive at-home test because the NHS won't recognize privately purchased tests, even though it's the exact same test and would have been counted if it happened a week earlier.

Something short and simple. Just in the hopes that providing a real, and reasonable, explanation for why something happening somewhere else may or may not apply to what we should expect to happen here.

They dramatically changed how they count tests on April 1st. Over here we haven't been recording many at-home tests to begin with. Ergo, we probably won't see any sharp decline like they will, and their decline isn't from a lack of people getting sick. Simple :smith:

[Edit] I'm going back to playing Elden Ring. I stopped when my wrist started to ache earlier today. Now I play to stop the heart-ache (lol).

Zantie has issued a correction as of 04:20 on Apr 4, 2022

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
America had another mass shooting today and it isn't even news. Probably because it's likely a gang thing, so the collective response from white American media consumers is "Oh, doesn't matter to me, then."

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Animal-Mother posted:

America had another mass shooting today and it isn't even news. Probably because it's likely a gang thing, so the collective response from white American media consumers is "Oh, doesn't matter to me, then."

Multiple mass shootings actually. I took a screenshot of the cnn section because there were like 3 or 4 in a row. Dallas and sacremento and somewhere in Virginia?

LOL covid is over. Now we get covid deaths and going back to high numbers of gun violence injuries and deaths.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Captain Magic posted:

blows my mind the amount of parents I see coming into a motherfucking hospital which is where the motherfucking covid lives and motherfucking makes itself tenants and aren’t wearing a mask and neither is their kid

and it’s a children’s hospital and if you’re there with your kid it means they’re at risk for at least some loving reason! I love my daughter so much and she is like days old, why are people like this, I hate everyone

it's fuckin crazy man

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
There was a rolling / driving gun battle on i5 south of Seattle last night.

Rage and people doing crazy poo poo is just off the fuckin charts.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Zugzwang posted:

im guessing omicron 1 gets to you easy but in low volume, meaning lower viral loads and fewer symptoms, while omicron 2 gets to you easy in large volume with a higher viral load and more symptoms. so the difference between heavy rain that will get your feet wet even with an umbrella vs heavy rain & high winds winds soaking you and turning your umbrella inside out. only way to stay dry is to stay inside, which wont work when a big hurricane comes along and floods your house

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

silicone thrills posted:

gently caress it we can do another poetry thread title

rage rage against the dying of the light

- a boomer goes to applebees because they have to live their life

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Captain Magic posted:

I really sympathize, it's so hard when your kid is sick and having one in the NICU must be a whole different level of worry. Especially right now it must be very tough.

Regarding people going unmasked, it makes me very angry but ultimately the health authorities are telling people they don't need masks so they're not wearing them. The people at the top are principally to blame.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

silicone thrills posted:

As they say Lakehood up to no good

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Eventually covid can achieve its final form of being so infectious and with reinfection so high that nobody is ever not infected.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
there are people in the NICU because their kid swallowed some poop on the way out, and then there are cases like Captain Magic's

the most bizarre thing about the NICU is that when the neonatologist stops paying attention to your baby, that's when you know you are in the clear

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

scary ghost dog posted:

im guessing omicron 1 gets to you easy but in low volume, meaning lower viral loads and fewer symptoms, while omicron 2 gets to you easy in large volume with a higher viral load and more symptoms. so the difference between heavy rain that will get your feet wet even with an umbrella vs heavy rain & high winds winds soaking you and turning your umbrella inside out. only way to stay dry is to stay inside, which wont work when a big hurricane comes along and floods your house

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Zugzwang posted:

The CDC has increased their recommendation to 6.5 feet of distance.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

In a thunderstorm, only stand under shorter trees.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Phew thankfully, South Korea is past the height of omicron, with only 127k infected (for the lower weekend counts)
Passing the 14,000,000 infected, and only 50% of children aged 5-11 officially confirmed infected!
Wrap, it up! Covid is over!

S. Korea's daily infections fall to 6-week low; concerns linger amid eased restrictions

South Korea looks to end social distancing once and for all

Seoul to actively consider building new crematoriums amid rising COVID-19 deaths

quote:

"Workers in the field are in a very difficult situation as their workload has nearly doubled. I believe the situation has reached a critical point," Oh said. "We had secured room for adding 11-15 furnaces in case of a rise in cremation demand. As an urgent situation has happened, we're considering adding furnaces."

Oh said the city government will "actively consider" building additional crematoriums based on a forecast that a pandemic like COVID-19 can come on a regular basis.

And a rare admission of how insane this all is.

As it happened: South Korea’s deadly omicron experiment

quote:

The rate at which omicron is killing older people could lead to a fall in the country’s average age by summer, according to infectious disease professor Dr. Kim Woo-joo of Korea University. “It’s like living through a senicidal nightmare,” he said.

(...)

“Omicron and its ‘spawn’ BA.2, recombinants and more variants are able to reinfect those who were previously infected and put enough people in the hospital to use up 1,100 ICU beds. Also, not like the flu. Europe is resurging after the omicron wave, also not like the flu. An emerging subvariant is taking over from the original omicron. Also not like the flu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
My sibling and their family are visiting my parents in AZ. They plan to eat inside a gimmick restaurant where they play the piano. Yes, there are as many comorbidities as you are imagining.

I was this close to telling them I'm not flying to their funeral.