Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

Booky posted:

-i liked the mc of su and thought he was p interesting instead of boring + i generally Really Liked the show (it seemed like one of the hosts really Hated it?)

I didn't watch the video but I know at least one of them is part of SU Critical, a community made up of very online cartoon understanders from Tumblr and Reddit, so I'm not surprised they would believe that. Aside from that I agree with you, Steven owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Reading the words "SU Critical" just sent a wave of flight or flight washing over me. Good lord what a virulent strain of brainworms that scene is.

Was always fun logging in the morning after a new episode dropped to find a melange of gif sets and the most unhinged takes you could imagine about any media ever battling for supremacy on the dash.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Batman is such a wacky comic. It's dark and brooding and batman is sad he can't save his parents and use his vast wealth to solve crime forever but in another panel of another comic he has a villain who turns into an orca and her corpse is found floating in sewer water like Ophelia depicted by Millais
batman is subjected to sound weapons by a man dressed in rags and a burlap sack and breaks down crying in the alleyway his parents were murdered in while vincent price eggsecutes an eggcelent plan to hatch a dinosaur

Ghostlight fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Apr 4, 2022

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Batman is such a wacky comic. It's dark and brooding and batman is sad he can't save his parents and use his vast wealth to solve crime forever but in another panel of another comic he has a villain who turns into an orca and her corpse is found floating in sewer water like Ophelia depicted by Millais

yea it's good

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Youtube kept recommending me this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyUVgcsjp8s

Cool channel, weirdly high production value sometimes.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Max Wilco posted:

Goddamn it. I wanted to watch that video.

Well, maybe if we're lucky, someone downloaded it and uploaded it to the Internet Archive.

Check the link in the video description.

E:

Genthil posted:

I didn't watch the video but I know at least one of them is part of SU Critical, a community made up of very online cartoon understanders from Tumblr and Reddit, so I'm not surprised they would believe that. Aside from that I agree with you, Steven owns.

He has a series of videos detailing his problems with the show, which I haven't watched so I can't say anything about the level of onlineness in his opinions there, but both seem pretty level-headed on the whole. My impression from the occasional times it's come up is that he just doesn't think it's well-written.

Puppy Time fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 4, 2022

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

I think Batman does put the Joker in jail, it's just that later the Joker breaks out.

The forest-for-the-trees point here is that, while you could feasibly come up with reasons why the Joker should or could die, the reason he doesn't is because Batman vs Joker stories are popular. If you kill him off, you can't write those stories (I mean you could engineer some plotline where someone resurrects the Joker, and I'm sure something like that has happened). It's like what Stan Lee said about the superhero power level argument: the person who wins in a fight is the character the author wants to win.

I think it also hits onto the point that fiction is not representative of actual reality.
Though this does hit on another problem that death is no more difficult to escape in comic book fiction than Arkham asylum. Hasn't the Joker himself died like half a dozen or more times in mainline continuity, or at least appeared to die even if it turned out to be a clone/robot/imposter later.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Genthil posted:

ah well... i dunno if i should trust some of the vid now since SU critical was iirc like, 95% incoherent whinging and personal attacks on staff about a show aimed at 10 year olds
😔

SteelMentor posted:

Reading the words "SU Critical" just sent a wave of flight or flight washing over me. Good lord what a virulent strain of brainworms that scene is.

Was always fun logging in the morning after a new episode dropped to find a melange of gif sets and the most unhinged takes you could imagine about any media ever battling for supremacy on the dash.

its been so long i forgot if it was exactly under the "critical" umbrella but once i read a tumblr post of someone who was Just Furious that a relatively early ep of SU had homages to utena, so therefore the creators were all idiot hacks who were dumbasses and morons (because i guess homages are plagiarism??); and it was just one of the most baffling things i think i've ever read :psyduck:

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Puppy Time posted:

He has a series of videos detailing his problems with the show, which I haven't watched so I can't say anything about the level of onlineness in his opinions there, but both seem pretty level-headed on the whole. My impression from the occasional times it's come up is that he just doesn't think it's well-written.

ah i see... i disagree p hard with that but hey as long as its not like yelling about how sugar should be executed or how everyone who likes it is a monster or making incredibly bad faith arguments or smth, than ehhh what can you do :shrug:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Ibblebibble posted:

As someone who's actually finished the Jack Chaosmans game the writing is actually surprisingly good, along with the voice acting. They frontload a lot of the memetastic stuff but it actually gets explained later in a decently satisfying way and there's a good emotional core to the whole storyline.

The combat looked fun and the initial writing seemed... choppy more than anything. It's interesting that they managed to wrap it up well though!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Terrible Opinions posted:

Though this does hit on another problem that death is no more difficult to escape in comic book fiction than Arkham asylum. Hasn't the Joker himself died like half a dozen or more times in mainline continuity, or at least appeared to die even if it turned out to be a clone/robot/imposter later.

i don't remember which thread posted about it but i was just informed that in recent dc comic history, there were 3 jokers based on different periods of jokers, and ultimately the final joker killed the other 2 jokers, but it was all a ruse and the final joker was the real joker the whole time and the other two were people he "jokerized" and were running rampant against his wishes because they wanted to jokerize more people. also there's an edgy joker version of batman called The Bat Man Who Laughs which admittedly has a very Venom movie design that is cool but also extremely dumb. comicbooks rock

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
gently caress wendig. end post

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Edge & Christian posted:

Three Jokers started when Geoff Johns did a big thing where Batman got a magic knowledge chair and asked it the true identity of the Joker. The chair was like "which one, there are three of them!" And Batman was shocked. Then Geoff Johns went off to work on DC films for a few years and Batman forgot about it until Geoff Johns came back.

Three Jokers the comic starts off with Three Joker Imposters getting killed while the Joker seems to be committing other murder-crimes in three different places. Everyone is very confused, but the reveal is that there are THREE JOKERS
Joker #1 - THE CRIMINAL - Modeled after Joker's first appearance in 1940
Joker #2 - THE CLOWN - Modeled after Joker from 1988's Death in the Family story (he killed Jason Todd!)
Joker #3 - THE COMEDIAN - Modeled after Joker from 1988's The Killing Joke (he crippled Barbara Gordon!)

Now granted, this left up in the air which Joker was Jokering in comics published between 1942-1987 and also comics from 1989-2020, and also chronologically Joker #3 appeared before Joker #2 in terms of "iconic moments" but that I supposed was left as a fun exercise for the reader! The Three Jokers decide the best thing to do would be to make even more Jokers so they kidnap a bunch of people and Jokerize them but before they can do that, Jason Todd captures and kills the Clown, so almost immediately there are only Two Jokers. But they make a bunch more Jokers and try to make Jason Todd into a Joker and finally their big plan is to make Joe Chill a Joker, because if Joe Chill is a Joker then the Joker killed Batman's parents. But the Bat Team stops it from happening, and Joker #3 shoots and kills Joker #1 and surrenders to be taken back to Arkham Asylum.

And then the big twist was that Batman knew who the Joker was all along, he figured it out "one week after we first met." The Killing Joke Joker was the real one, and Batman snuck his wife and kid from that particular origin story out to Alaska, faked their deaths, and has been secretly supporting them all along.

So there's still only one Joker left if they want to make the story canon as originally intended.

The two Batmen currently are Bruce Wayne and Tim/Jayce Fox, Lucius Fox's son who was mentioned like three times in the 1970s and was off working for a PMC in Asia or something for the past X years and was shown to be Batman in the future, then they showed him coming back to become Batman later, and now he is the Batman of New York City. Tim Fox is NOT Luke Fox, who was previously Batwing, for reasons I am sure are legitimate and good and not just an arbitrary twist.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i think batman should take up some hobbies when hes not crime fighting

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I like the comic that's just about Bruce Wayne and his many children.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Booky posted:

he plays counter strike

ImpAtom posted:

Sorry Alfred. I need to GAME.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ghostlight posted:

he plays counter strike

Batman Inc. should just be the canon ending to Batman in general. Bruce Wayne puts his billions to actual use and just turns Batman into a PMC and loving retires. Just pay other people to be Batman, you’re the richest man in the world for gently caress sake.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Booky posted:

ah i see... i disagree p hard with that but hey as long as its not like yelling about how sugar should be executed or how everyone who likes it is a monster or making incredibly bad faith arguments or smth, than ehhh what can you do :shrug:
yea I think it's a cute and entertaining show with very well-executed comedy, solid representation, and manages to have positive messages for its target audience without it being a mandatory episodic lesson for the sake of having one. also some fun drama and character arcs

you just have to separate it from the rabid fandom that overscrutinizes it. i'm sure there are aspects of the script and storytelling that fall apart if you watch each episode 10 times, but as someone who watches things only once, I enjoyed watching it

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

Edit: ^ :yeah: ^

SteelMentor posted:

I'm just glad that poo poo didn't spread out to other cartoons, except perhaps She-Ra.

Booky posted:

:same: I've had my fill of SU discourse to last a lifetime so I'm giving those videos a hard pass.

I'll never understand comic book readers who claim that anime is too over-the-top for them when this stuff keeps happening.

Genthil fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Apr 4, 2022

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

The 7th Guest posted:

yea I think it's a cute and entertaining show with very well-executed comedy, solid representation, and manages to have positive messages for its target audience without it being a mandatory episodic lesson for the sake of having one. also some fun drama and character arcs

you just have to separate it from the rabid fandom that overscrutinizes it. i'm sure there are aspects of the script and storytelling that fall apart if you watch each episode 10 times, but as someone who watches things only once, I enjoyed watching it

:yeah:

to quote marge, i just think its neat :) (and same with shows like new she-ra, which are also v fun watches)

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I just kind of dislike the idea of a boring mass murderer joker.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Personally I prefer boner Joker.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Personally I prefer boner Joker.
what about flaccid batman
(cw: cartoon dong)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep_9RtAbwog

Mark Brown continues to make his game.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

i read both this and the summary to batman who laughs and they both come across like a bedtime story you'd tell to a kid who keeps demanding more details

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Farm Frenzy posted:

i read both this and the summary to batman who laughs and they both come across like a bedtime story you'd tell to a kid who keeps demanding more details

in geoff johns case its more like a dad who keeps telling his kid a bedtime story for 4 hours while the kid begs his dad to go to bed

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Genthil posted:

I'm just glad that poo poo didn't spread out to other cartoons, except perhaps She-Ra.

I'd say Voltron, but I think that was a different, but even more profoundly powerful, strain of brainworms.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Voltron was fun and then hosed up with last season trashfire and some dead gays.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Pigbuster posted:

I'd say Voltron, but I think that was a different, but even more profoundly powerful, strain of brainworms.

Annointed posted:

Voltron was fun and then hosed up with last season trashfire and some dead gays.

Yeah, Voltron fans basically left the Voltron actors fearing for their physical safety at the worst of the weirdass shitstorm surrounding the show.

Voltron was like 75% a really great show, and then 25% an absolutely abysmal show and much like Game of Thrones, the portion of it that's not good casts an eclipse pall on the portion of it that's actually really cool and good and fun and I can never see myself going back and watching either show again because of it.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Apr 4, 2022

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I enjoyed Voltron but up until I watched the Veredis Joe videos on the show I had no idea that people cared about Lance gaining a sword that he never used. That said I think it was really a missed opportunity for the Altean shape shifting to play a bigger role in things. They use it literally twice and never again.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

I enjoyed Voltron but up until I watched the Veredis Joe videos on the show I had no idea that people cared about Lance gaining a sword that he never used. That said I think it was really a missed opportunity for the Altean shape shifting to play a bigger role in things. They use it literally twice and never again.

To me, Voltron's biggest dropped ball was Lotor. They didn't have the balls to properly redeem him and integrate him into the cast as a full member of the team, so they threw out three seasons of meticulous plotting and character growth to turn him into Space Turbo Hitler out of nowhere and then literally melt him into goo and forget about him.

And then absolute lunatics on Tumblr started fomenting a theory that there was a secret Lotor Cut of seasons 7 and 8 out there and that Lotor was painstakingly edited out of every frame of the show as part of some vast conspiracy on the part of Dreamworks. Just absolute bonkers poo poo.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

To me, Voltron's biggest dropped ball was Lotor. They didn't have the balls to properly redeem him and integrate him into the cast as a full member of the team, so they threw out three seasons of meticulous plotting and character growth to turn him into Space Turbo Hitler out of nowhere and then literally melt him into goo and forget about him.

And then absolute lunatics on Tumblr started fomenting a theory that there was a secret Lotor Cut of seasons 7 and 8 out there and that Lotor was painstakingly edited out of every frame of the show as part of some vast conspiracy on the part of Dreamworks. Just absolute bonkers poo poo.

drat, it's a wonder I'm even allowed to like anything with all the wild ways I find out how people refuse to handle not liking further seasons of a show after the fact.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

drat, it's a wonder I'm even allowed to like anything with all the wild ways I find out how people refuse to handle not liking further seasons of a show after the fact.

Mind you this was also around the time that people were starting to accrete into a drat near full on QAnon, But For Television/Movies/Comics/Cartoons/Video Games conspiratorially minded subculture that is very slowly (hopefully) coming to its senses and washing back out to sea these days with the changing internet and cultural tides.

Notice, for example, how nobody these days is crowing about how Kathleen Kennedy is almost totally for real this time about to be definitely maybe fired from LucasFilm for the crime of making Disney several billion dollars more than it bought Star Wars for originally. The clowns who used to make that their whole brand have been swept under the rug because they were publicly wrong one too many times.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Apr 4, 2022

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Booky posted:

I thought being Batman was his hobby

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

Toph being a cop also came about ~5 years before the concept that all cops were in fact bastards and the realization of what copadanga really was really took off in the broader public consciousness.

American teenagers invented disliking the police, good to know

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
copadanga

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

this reboot of TMNT sucks rear end

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Genthil posted:

I'm probably missing a bunch as I was off Tumblr for She-Ra's airing but glimpses of The Discourse seemed to pivot entirely around "Adora and Catra aren't immediately a couple after episode one this is queerbaiting" before morphing into "Adora and Catra's relationship is abusive and Not Real Queer Representation tm". With a side dose of "I'm shocked and appalled on behalf of those poor Enbies over Double Trouble. No I haven't talked to one about how they feel about this character shut up".

Not nearly the same virulence or raw sandblasting power as SU Critical, though the "Double Trouble is a nonce" takes were approaching that before being rightfully laughed out the door.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

Yea I obviously can't say what her 'deal' is but she certainly does show a genuine hostility to sexuality in media in general that's likely wrapped up in something

I mean, it seems like the entirety of her understanding of media and culture can be summed up as "children's cartoons," so I think that speaks for itself.

I'd love to see how she'd react to something like Ingmar Bergman's Persona, to be honest.

Also point 84 feels like it's having a go at one of my all-time favourite films, Mulholland Drive, where it is very necessary, thank you very much. I don't mean that in a "send me to horny jail please" way, but in a "it's actually genuinely important to the themes and ideas that underpin the film" way.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Apr 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

nine-gear crow posted:

Mind you this was also around the time that people were starting to accrete into a drat near full on QAnon, But For Television/Movies/Comics/Cartoons/Video Games conspiratorially minded subculture that is very slowly (hopefully) coming to its senses and washing back out to sea these days with the changing internet and cultural tides.

Notice, for example, how nobody these days is crowing about how Kathleen Kennedy is almost totally for real this time about to be definitely maybe fired from LucasFilm for the crime of making Disney several billion dollars more than it bought Star Wars for originally. The clowns who used to make that their whole brand have been swept under the rug because they were publicly wrong one too many times.

I genuinely loved this trend. Some people convinced themselves an entire BBC tv series based on a popular novel was a stealth fourth season for Sherlock because the last season of Sherlock was so bad they didn't believe it was real, and the lead actress's name was Emily Watson, which couldn't possibly be a coincidence!