Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

This guy is a master of make-believe. But in any case, the issue is not one of widespread incompetence, it is incompetence concentrated in the most damaging positions. I believe that the 500+ people involved in this could make a quality game no problem with the proper leadership and direction.

As we all know the C-suite is a bastion of incompetence headed by Chris and Sandi with a touch of competence from Erin. Way too many of the top people in positions that set the direction of the game are there because they're friends with Chris or Tony or because they worked at TT Fusion with Erin, etc.
I took a look at people with Director/Lead in their job title and plenty of them have a history of technical competence. A good number of them are internal promotions starting from mid-level IC roles which wouldn't normally be a problem but I could see it being concerning when their promotional environment was CIG right?

It's just simple though, the decision makers at the end of the line have zero experience with MMOs or anything even similar. It's a poo poo show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

peter gabriel posted:

Even the rivers is in the other lumberyard game, noted shitfest New World look stunning compared to this Bryce 3D looking horse poo poo

Here is a river in Crysis 1 captured at 240p a billion years ago by a then state-of-the-art potato.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVh9GFtXWwo

quote:

do you think a Pentium D 820(Dualcore 2.8GHz) can handle it?

Kharan
Jun 28, 2005
Ned is dead

Kosumo posted:

I don't think you understand game development.

I definitely don't! It seems releasing the game is actually something offensive and to be avoided. According to the gospel of CIG I should keep the customers eternally waiting for the game and have them live in the make-believe world that's never coming.

We did the sequel of Cave Digger with a team of 8, using about 500k$ and a year and a half of dev. It's now on Steam and Quest AppLab (the business suits wouldn't let us in the official store directly). In a few months we're doing the full release on PC,PSVR and Quest.

gently caress the posers, gently caress the scammers and gently caress Chris Roberts in particular, gently caress him up his stupid hairy arse.

This is game development.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Y'all so busy looking at the river you missed the forest for the trees.

Literally, the forest in that "fly" over is 90% the same height pine tree. I did see a couple pine trees at half height and one deciduous tree in fall colors, so I guess it is autumn on that planet?

Clearly I should have bought an Idris instead of Monster Hunter Rise for top tier river gameplay.

Kharan
Jun 28, 2005
Ned is dead

forgot the video link for our Cave Digger 2 trailer. It's a bit zany but there is a darkness there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaEXDHojt0c

latest story issue:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Fidelitious posted:

This guy is a master of make-believe. But in any case, the issue is not one of widespread incompetence, it is incompetence concentrated in the most damaging positions. I believe that the 500+ people involved in this could make a quality game no problem with the proper leadership and direction.

As we all know the C-suite is a bastion of incompetence headed by Chris and Sandi with a touch of competence from Erin. Way too many of the top people in positions that set the direction of the game are there because they're friends with Chris or Tony or because they worked at TT Fusion with Erin, etc.
I took a look at people with Director/Lead in their job title and plenty of them have a history of technical competence. A good number of them are internal promotions starting from mid-level IC roles which wouldn't normally be a problem but I could see it being concerning when their promotional environment was CIG right?

It's just simple though, the decision makers at the end of the line have zero experience with MMOs or anything even similar. It's a poo poo show.

quote:

I hire people for a living, in technology. It would be monumentally complicated to hire so badly, consistently, for this to ever even be an edge case factor. An absolute non-starter.

Occam's razor remains a solid analogy because the MOST likely outcome, as I stated, is that the game is complex enough that the good people they have working on it will take more than 10 years to get it done. That it isn't done at 10 years isn't because the team is bad, or they aren't up to the task. The simple answer is IT TAKES WHAT IT TAKES.

That is the entire, true point. There doesn't have to be "something they could have done better or differently" to be at a different level of "done" right now. Some people argue as if that is a given, that SOMETHING that can be controlled wasn't. But the unsatisfyingly accurate answer is: that's not the case.

quote:

I'll only reply to the idea that 'it takes what it takes' is a poo poo method.

Let me explain why it is appropriate for SC.

When you are delivering code, let's say a new screen in a policy administration system (something I have 20+ years of experience with), you should be able to pick a date, plan sprints and hit the target relatively close. You are working in a system that you've worked on often for a decade plus, have extensive knowledge with, and are delivering something you've delivered dozens of times before.

Now let's say that the underlying tools you rely on are no longer supported by the vendor and security concerns press you to replace the entire system from the ground up.

You find me the company, fortune 500, technological, I don't care, that has EVER hit their targets doing that, and you'll have created a fake document from scratch - because (and here is where the rubber meets the road on this concept) - just like with SC, doing something BRAND NEW FROM SCRATCH is not compatible with pre-defined dates. Simply stated, and factually accurate.

If CIG was churning out "yet another" formulaic shooter, then this would be a reasonable thing to suggest. But they aren't. They have ideas on how it might work (as opposed to existing code that shows it does work) so they ARE going to have REASONABLE and UNDERSTANDABLE delays.

If this weren't the case - if CIG wasn't creating brand new, edge-pushing technology and unprecedented stitched-together gameplay including net-new systems, net-new game engine functionality, etc. - then sure, they missed a date and have no excuse.

But that's not the case. And that's what CIG has stated, when Chris delivered his year-end 2020 letter it was clear. When they revamped the roadmap because we struggle to understand its actual intent, it was clear. They've stated as much as I've elucidated. There is no mystery.

Just an unwillingness to accept the facts.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/GleamingFalseKid-mobile.mp4

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Mirificus posted:

I'll only reply to the idea that 'it takes what it takes' is a poo poo method.

Let me explain why it is appropriate for SC.

When you are delivering code, let's say a new screen in a policy administration system (something I have 20+ years of experience with), you should be able to pick a date, plan sprints and hit the target relatively close. You are working in a system that you've worked on often for a decade plus, have extensive knowledge with, and are delivering something you've delivered dozens of times before.

Now let's say that the underlying tools you rely on are no longer supported by the vendor and security concerns press you to replace the entire system from the ground up.

You find me the company, fortune 500, technological, I don't care, that has EVER hit their targets doing that, and you'll have created a fake document from scratch - because (and here is where the rubber meets the road on this concept) - just like with SC, doing something BRAND NEW FROM SCRATCH is not compatible with pre-defined dates. Simply stated, and factually accurate.

If CIG was churning out "yet another" formulaic shooter, then this would be a reasonable thing to suggest. But they aren't. They have ideas on how it might work (as opposed to existing code that shows it does work) so they ARE going to have REASONABLE and UNDERSTANDABLE delays.

If this weren't the case - if CIG wasn't creating brand new, edge-pushing technology and unprecedented stitched-together gameplay including net-new systems, net-new game engine functionality, etc. - then sure, they missed a date and have no excuse.

But that's not the case. And that's what CIG has stated, when Chris delivered his year-end 2020 letter it was clear. When they revamped the roadmap because we struggle to understand its actual intent, it was clear. They've stated as much as I've elucidated. There is no mystery.

Just an unwillingness to accept the facts.

It's true everyone, Wolfenstein and DOOM took 5 million developers over 17 decades to develop. Time to accept the facts.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
Scam Citizen: Just an unwillingness to accept the facts.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
I love these pamphlets, because it's just that much more pressure on the erm... let's call it "product", to be an absolutely Earth-shattering mind-blowing revolutionary blend of game, art and technology which industry and academia will be inevitably shamed by and follow in the footsteps of for at least decades. Instead of the buggy, janky, unstable, unoptimised retro-looking mediocre open world sandbox with no sand that it looks like after 10 years and one of the biggest gaming budgets ever.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

monkeytek posted:

It's true everyone, Wolfenstein and DOOM took 5 million developers over 17 decades to develop. Time to accept the facts.

Obviously they were just clones of call of duty or battlefield, typical by the numbers crap. Not like a game set in space which is such a radically innovative premise !

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Mirificus posted:

One of the most anticipated features of 3.18...Coffee! Star Citizen #Shorts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_i3ux_LnLM

I've spent the better part of a year and a half working on my first animation with very little prior knowledge beforehand on how to make it look smooth and appealing

Seeing a multimillion dollar company fart this poo poo out has a silver lining of making me feel really good about my own skills

The only appeal in this animation is looking the gently caress away from this Freddy Fazbear nightmare fuel

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

CIG Take Notes posted:

The upcoming MMO Ashes of Creation was showcasing their Character Creator in alpha stage and its mind blowing to put it mildly.
There is quite a few things I see CIG can learn from here both in terms of UI and functionality. Some of these things are the same as what CIG does but much more developed than anything we got out hands on.

Enjoy the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_PasE-_W6M

quote:

Nice. But the acolytes believe CIG will have the best everything in gaming/computer history. Good luck.

quote:

There's nothing in that video that shows they're doing anything CIG isn't doing, except for breaking out different sliders and options for body textures and body shape.

The video that you show uses an older type of technology that's been around since before CIG started. It's not new, at all, and is essentially the standard way that most 3d games do custom character design now. It's nearly identical to what CIG has on the backend - CIG just doesn't expose as much of it, and obviously they haven't implemented the ability to change body shape or apply decals.

The major difference that CIG brings to the table is that their models are based on actual actors. If you look at that AOC video, it's pretty obvious that their characters were all modeled in 3d in a traditional way, using a common mesh built from the ground up. Each character then gets different values for subcomponents of that mesh. These subcomponents form a basis set, and when combined with manual manipulation of "sliders" (just magnitudes of the previously mentioned subcomponents), allows you to create and manipulate your custom character. When the 3d artists create a character, what they generate is actually just a list of weights for each subcomponent in the basis set - and if you mix two characters, it will simply combine the weights for those subcomponents, like taking an average value (for instance).

CIG does exactly the same thing, but instead of building a mesh from the ground up and using those to create characters via 3d artists, they started with mocap actors and built the meshes around them. The individual mocap actors form their basis set. You can then mix that basis set through a set of transforms that CIG has introduced. So, instead of adjusting a slider for "cheek bone depth percentage", you instead adjust a slider for "Christina Robinson's head percentage". Other than that, though, the methodology is identical.

There are obviously pros and cons to each approach. AOC's approach is much better for creating unrealistic characters that don't exist in real life, like orcs and goblins and whatnot. But, when it comes to creating basic humans, their models are only going to look as realistic as the 3d artists can make them - which, except for people like Michelangelo di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni (you know, famous artist) - isn't going to result in a hyper-realistic person.

CIG's approach, on the other hand, is going to look as realistic as you can possibly get for a human because it is literally based on real humans. The downside there is that it isn't as good for creating aliens, and is nearly useless for creating things that don't resemble a human (for example, a box turtle, or a The Great Race of Yith). At that point, they would have to fall back on the approach of using 3d artists to create or tweak their mocap meshes, which is what they did for the critters in the aquarium and presumably what they will eventually do for the Banu, Vanduul, and Xian.

Both approaches are equally able to use "DNA", because both are just a pile of numbers that describes which features to combine and how much to weight each of them.

The real advantage to what CIG is doing comes specifically from its ability to take advantage of mocap. In AOC, if an NPC wants to do some animation, an animator has to go and actually animate that. That takes time and effort, and if you have multiple people working on it, then there's a high likelihood that you're going to get animations that just don't look right when combined together. You're also going to see a lot of reuse of the same animation for similar activities, like e.g. picking up a brick compared to picking up a bicycle. CIG, on the other hand, can simply film a body actor picking up a brick or picking up a bicycle. And, not only that, they can have 20 body actors performing 20 activities simultaneously. Then, all they have to do is clip those mocap animations and import them into their system.

For aliens and such, CIG can simply define some sort of mathematical transform that combines "body actor A" with "animation B", and scales it into looking like a Vanduul or whatever. This works because CIG's basis set is the entire actor. The AOC animators could do this too, but it would take a lot more work to figure out how to convert each individual subcomponent into something that works for the alien; it's more likely that they would just create a new animation using that alien, which uses up more development time and effort.

At some point in the future, CIG can and most likely will introduce a method that lets us (and them) tweak different features of each mocap model, like their cheek bones or whatever, even moreso than what we already have. This would take the form of exactly the same type of transform as they would use in the animation for an alien. And, at that point, it will be functionally identical to what AOC has here - except that CIG will still be able to take advantage of mocap actors, while AOC won't.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
What year did LA Noire come out again?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

wow that game looks really bad
cool character creator though.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBrnv249kJ0

i dont like MMOs though so maybe this is par for the course

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mirificus posted:

The real advantage to what CIG is doing comes specifically from its ability to take advantage of mocap. In AOC, if an NPC wants to do some animation, an animator has to go and actually animate that. That takes time and effort, and if you have multiple people working on it, then there's a high likelihood that you're going to get animations that just don't look right when combined together. You're also going to see a lot of reuse of the same animation for similar activities, like e.g. picking up a brick compared to picking up a bicycle. CIG, on the other hand, can simply film a body actor picking up a brick or picking up a bicycle. And, not only that, they can have 20 body actors performing 20 activities simultaneously. Then, all they have to do is clip those mocap animations and import them into their system.

Wait, monocle cat guy believes that npcs that are created by animators (instead of digitalized from real people) have to be animated by hand? and that for each "default" character model you need to use a different mocap body actor?

marumaru posted:

wow that game looks really bad

(that's because it's another basically-a-scam project)

marumaru posted:

cool character creator though.

(that's because it's another basically-a-scam project)

trucutru fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 4, 2022

marumaru
May 20, 2013

recycling animations is what AAA pooblishers would do and is highly unfidelitious

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

quote:

Since we're not even going to be customizing the body of our SC character at all, and we won't see out character faces except in some kind of screenshot, I don't think I'd agree with ridiculous effort being put into creating something.

quote:

Lol, okay. Whole sci-fi short series are being created in the game even now with the 'limited' character creator. Here's one with a character based on me: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt17345794/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn9NsvwTe6I

And make no mistake Machinima is a big part of Star Citizen. Community made content is a big reason for the Reliant Mako and currently does as much to excite potential backers as anything CIG's cinematic team puts out themselves.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Star Citizen white knights enjoy theorycrafting about development more than theorycrafting about the actual game. What they are doing over at CIG is breaking new grounds in how to do development, that the game is almost irrelevant and in fact should never be released.

Probably best if you still buy the virtual spaceships though.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Like, Imagine what it takes for Lethality to be "skeptical" (he ain't, not really) and for the developers to address it.

vvvvv Like, have you visited home depot lately? Sheeeesh! vvvvvv

trucutru fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 4, 2022

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Motion capturing Sandi Gardner or a plank of wood, which is cheaper?

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
As you know Chris Roberts is a cinema master as good as if not slightly better than Ridley Scott or Lloyd Kaufman. SC was intended to be a machinima engine the entire time :trustme: River alone has added hundreds of new movie types including wildlife documentaries, scenic flyovers for lofi hiphop streams, boating related accidents for the news van ship to cover (boats ETA unknown but you can buy now!), Hunt for Red October-esque submarine thrillers albeit in far shallower water, etc.

rumor has it that Chris and Mark Hamill are working on a Sq54 and Star Wars tie-in, once swamp tech is in.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Applewhite posted:

Forget spaceships! This game is redefining the meaning of immersive sci fi!

Is the waterline clinging to the terrain and therefore going up and down constantly?

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Star Citizen machinima is one of the few things that can almost cause my jaded soul to feel cringe.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:
This guy going on about his experiences in the tech industry reminds me of interns prattling on about the most basic poo poo after learning about Agile last week.

I'm getting work stressed just from reading this idiot's posts.

Mirificus posted:

quote:

[...] so they ARE going to have REASONABLE and UNDERSTANDABLE delays.

Just some REASONABLE and UNDERSTANDABLE delays.

Mellow_ fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 4, 2022

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I've started playing in a Starfinder campaign but I keep wanting to say Star Citizen. I'm going to slip and it will be so embarrassing.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Turbinosamente posted:

Y'all so busy looking at the river you missed the forest for the trees.

Literally, the forest in that "fly" over is 90% the same height pine tree. I did see a couple pine trees at half height and one deciduous tree in fall colors, so I guess it is autumn on that planet?

Which is also nuts, since middleware like Speedtree literally allow you to create huge procedural forests with minimal effort, and even if they're not using that for whatever reason, it's super easy to just have a couple of tree variants and scale them to make a much more realistic looking forest.

But then I clearly don't understand game development.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok where can I buy this?

.random
May 7, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Ok where can I buy this?

Company is Luycho, from South Korea. It seems you can get a horse one on Amazon (and maybe some others not motion-related), as well as some knockoff bird one too, though it definitely is a knockoff and not nearly as nice and refined. Might be available elsewhere but it’s not very easy to find, at least in the US.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Rotten Red Rod posted:

This is INCREDIBLE, how did they manage to screw up every single aspect of something so simple and uneccesary

CIG - Creating Innovations Galore.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Never forget to buy an Idris.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Let's play a game! Guess what all these steps are for:

code:
Step 1: Make friends with someone (highly recommend both of you pick lorville for this patch since A18 Riker has stream in issues that can include the elevators, Orison has killer elevators, and NB has broken elevators) 
Step 2: Try to join a server and hope one of you doesnt CTD
Step 3: Once one of you is in the server, have the other join in, hope he doesnt CTD
Step 4: Once both in, make a party to hold the same server
Step 5: One of you leave, hope this person doesnt CTD, and hope the person waiting in the server doesnt CTD or the server 30ks
Step 6: The person who left must come back, and hope he doesnt CTD while loading in
Step 7: If the person who left and came back, didnt CTD or close their client, they should now have QdBatches of - and QdFinalize of 0, they should be able to spawn ships
Step 8: Repeat for the person who originally stayed behind
*Eventually the server seems to desync again, with rising qdbatch / qdfinalize , so expect stations not to load in, and ship spawning to break again, apparently dying far away from your spawn point also can resync you the way the above steps does*
That's what it takes to spawn a ship in the current test patch

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

trucutru posted:

Let's play a game! Guess what all these steps are for:

code:
Step 1: Make friends with someone (highly recommend both of you pick lorville for this patch since A18 Riker has stream in issues that can include the elevators, Orison has killer elevators, and NB has broken elevators) 
Step 2: Try to join a server and hope one of you doesnt CTD
Step 3: Once one of you is in the server, have the other join in, hope he doesnt CTD
Step 4: Once both in, make a party to hold the same server
Step 5: One of you leave, hope this person doesnt CTD, and hope the person waiting in the server doesnt CTD or the server 30ks
Step 6: The person who left must come back, and hope he doesnt CTD while loading in
Step 7: If the person who left and came back, didnt CTD or close their client, they should now have QdBatches of - and QdFinalize of 0, they should be able to spawn ships
Step 8: Repeat for the person who originally stayed behind
*Eventually the server seems to desync again, with rising qdbatch / qdfinalize , so expect stations not to load in, and ship spawning to break again, apparently dying far away from your spawn point also can resync you the way the above steps does*
That's what it takes to spawn a ship in the current test patch

See? Boring AAA games would just have you press one button to spawn a ship, but Triple AAA games have a rich gameplay loop instead!

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
salad fingers discovered in SC

https://v.redd.it/qiczwd1pg9r81/DASH_480.mp4

just usual random ship explosion from a dropped weapon

https://v.redd.it/upjm19xwf2r81/DASH_480.mp4

the attention to details of ships! and to nothing else

https://twitter.com/AkakiMukhigula1/status/1510004920363200526

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Apr 4, 2022

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Space wheelchair seems to have the same problem :prepop:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
I'm the instant ship disintegration survivor, casually T-posing my way out of the area.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Lammasu posted:

I've started playing in a Starfinder campaign but I keep wanting to say Star Citizen. I'm going to slip and it will be so embarrassing.

i would name myself star citizen to confront this headon

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

marumaru posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBrnv249kJ0

i dont like MMOs though so maybe this is par for the course

I'm playing FFXIV these days with my wife as a 'co-op' game. It's definitely an MMO doing the usual MMO things but I have enough nostalgia for the FF world to have it be fun and they have definitely done some work to cut down on the typical MMO tedium.
A single character can level up in all the classes/jobs if you want. If you need to collect 4 bear asses, they are at least guaranteed to be retrieved from every single bear you kill. So far it doesn't seem like they nickel and dime for you stupid stuff like a bigger inventory or whatever.
I think you can tackle it pretty easily just hitting mainline story quests without any grindiness.

I guess what I'm saying is it's a better game than Star Citizen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
Holy gently caress. This feature was shown before the halfway mark in Star Citizen's timeline.