Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Peggy Edson posted:

Also lmao if anyone is wasting their time watching Wrestlemania tonight

At this point my WWE take is the same as my Star Wars take: the fan outrage around the product is 50 times more interesting than the product itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Hollismason posted:

Yeah giving a wrestler booking power seems to be the downfall of most organizations in the past. Also wrestlers with insane creative control like Hulk Hogan.

it always leads to the wrestler in charge booking themselves as the main character and burying all the talent lmao. it owns

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Was about to poo poo on this but it’s all salvaged by nostalgia

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

it always leads to the wrestler in charge booking themselves as the main character and burying all the talent lmao. it owns
Unless you're Kevin Nash. Then you book yourself a steady paycheck with no stress and no work.

But yeah, giving creative control to the talent without checks or stops is a really, really bad idea.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Bringing us back on topic.

https://twitter.com/jonmoxIeys/status/1510817532055277587

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Vince managing to top himself in the worst stunner take ever category.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

lol vince and austin are old

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

"Confused Elderly Man Assaulted in Texas, Film at 11"

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Peggy Edson posted:

Also lmao if anyone is wasting their time watching Wrestlemania tonight

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

lmao he looks like mae young

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

thats mac's mom from it's always sunny

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Can't wait for next year's WrestleMania where Vince headlines and Brock Lesnar kills him with an F5

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

GolfHole posted:

thats mac's mom from it's always sunny

Holy poo poo

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008
I saw Johnny Knoxville’s Mania match trending on Twitter and watched a stream. It was hilarious! Like a Tom and Jerry cartoon brought to life.

Then I figured gently caress it, why not watch the main event… I made a mistake.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
I only read the results.

Three matches won by spears doesn't sound very fun.

Also, who did Rhonda piss off to lose to a big boot from Charlotte?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Trollologist posted:

Can't wait for next year's WrestleMania where Vince headlines and Brock Lesnar kills him with an F5

Pretty sure it's the way he wants to go

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Ahahahaha

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Cody Rhodes started his WWE career with one of the worst gimmicks you can have: generic wrestledude who is famously the son of another wrestler. It’s only slightly better than being a generic wrestledude who is famously the son of another wrestler but has a different last name. He went through his early months getting beat up by Randy Orton and eventually taking part in a feud with Hardcore Holly with the story being that Cody gradually earned his respect through losing a bunch of matches and they went on to become a tag team.

Cody and Holly became tag champs for a short while, which led to a feud with Ted Dibiase Jr. Ted Jr. challenged the two of them to a tag title match against him and a mystery partner. The payoff, which is still great, was that Cody was Dibiase’s partner. By betraying Holly, Cody Rhodes won the tag titles off of himself.

Around this point, WWE started to realize how many second generation wrestlers they had on their roster and considering they were about to really get behind Randy Orton for a bit, it made sense to do a stable of them. And so, Legacy was created, made up of Randy Orton, Cody Rhodes, Ted Dibiase Jr... and also Manu (son of Afa) and Sim Snuka (son of Jimmy Snuka) for a couple weeks. If Legacy was the monster cereal icons, then those last two were Yummy Mummy and Fruit Brute.

Legacy was pretty rad for a while. Cody and Dibiase made for great henchmen for Orton and despite Orton having a character of being a total lunatic who would snap at any moment, he treated his teammates with respect and care. Orton won the 2009 Royal Rumble simply because Cody and Dibiase were there to back him up and help him swarm everyone else.

While Orton was busy defending his world title, Cody and Dibiase ended up feuding with the reunited D-Generation X. All things considered, it wasn’t the worst feud. Sure, DX won in the end, but Legacy won an I Quit match in there and even their loss in a Hell in a Cell blow-off match was played up as them having ample chance to win but screwing themselves over via being assholes who couldn’t leave well enough alone.

As time moved on, Legacy was running out of gas and Orton was starting to become more abusive to his charges. This is when WWE straight-up dropped the ball. Two moments of note happened around this time. One, Orton had a match with Dibiase where he kicked his rear end with Dibiase not allowed to fight back. Dibiase looked so pissed about it and the crowd was so behind him to do something, but nothing ever happened.

Dusty Rhodes showed up to aid Legacy because WWE was doing a gimmick where every week they would have a celebrity guest host Raw like it was SNL. Raw ended with Legacy standing tall and Orton just randomly decided to RKO Dusty. Cody was furious, but held back his instinct to attack Orton. The crowd loudly chanted “CODY!” In the recap package on the next episode, they edited it so that the crowd was chanting “CENA!”

To give you an idea, Legacy lasted nearly as long as Dusty Rhodes was in WWF. It went on and on and fans just wanted Cody and/or Dibiase to do something against Orton. They kept dragging it more and more and when Orton finally beat the other two up by himself, the fans cheered Orton because he was at least being proactive. It was so weird.

Something was missing with Cody during all of this. There was something that Dusty and Goldust had that Cody had yet to tap into: insanity. What linked Dusty and Goldust was that in their own ways, they were loving insane and off the wall. Cody was being a generic wrestledude, even after Legacy was done with. He needed to figure out his own unique way of being crazy.

WWE’s website did an article where they polled all the women working for WWE and had them vote on who the most handsome man on the roster was. Cody ended up being the winner. Cody came out to bask in that win and said from now on he wanted to be known as “Dashing Cody Rhodes.” He repeated the name. Then again. And again. And again. He kept repeating his new name with different inflections and it was becoming apparent that not only was he a narcissist, but he was a deranged narcissist.

Disaster turned into opportunity as Cody endured an injury during a match with Rey Mysterio. Mysterio’s knee brace messed up Cody’s face and since Cody was both a narcissist and a real-life comic fan, he turned it into a Doctor Doom gimmick. During his entrance, newspaper headlines would appear, labeling him as “GROTESQUE” and “DISFIGURED.” He’d wear a see-through plastic mask and wear a green entrance hoodie. The mask would even double as an illegal weapon. The whole thing ruled.

Cody and Dibiase reunited during this time with Dibiase going around handing out paper bags for fans to put on their heads so as not to disgust Cody. This revised alliance gave us Cody’s beautiful story about how they were involved in a six-man tag that was supposed to go about 20 minutes and the ref hosed up and counted the pin in less than three minutes. When they went backstage, Vince looked like he was ready to tear them a new one, but Dibiase stormed over and yelled, “That referee was trying to gently caress on me!”

More confused than angry, Vince slowly put his headset back on and sat back down.

Up next: friends with a genius.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

https://twitter.com/Patrick_Wyman/status/1510814687251755008

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Gavok posted:

Cody Rhodes

these history posts made me realise why he kinda sucked in AEW - his entire history and all his feuds are in WWE. whereas every other major wrestler draws on their indie, WCW and NJPW background (ReDragon, Jericho, Kingston, CM Punk, Danielson, Omega, pretty much the rest of the roster), Cody tried to make something new which was just him and his weird family and students and it was awful. he doesn't seem to understand what works very well unless he has someone giving him something to work with and then he spins it into gold

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

https://twitter.com/abrahamjoseph/status/1510957575944261639

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

mr mcmahon vs bret hart cage match 2022 lets go

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
https://twitter.com/RealMickFoley/status/1510829854719193090/

GolfHole posted:

mr mcmahon vs bret hart cage match 2022 lets go

Steel Retirement Home match

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
wee-man body slamming sami zayn was the equivalent or better of hulk hogan body slamming andre the giant, an essay

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

216A posted:

I agreed The “young” Bucks(middle aged, balding, and ruthlessly just out for themselves to the active detriment of anyone around them)

I had to look it up and the balding one is like 32

Even in wrestling years that's not middle aged, that's younger than pretty much every top star in every company other than, like, Adam Page.

Plus the whole being super generous about jobbing/giving shine to tons of the other teams thing. I don't like their over the top meta schtick (especially the dumb stuff on YouTube or whatever) but their matches got me, my wife, and a bunch of our friends into (or back into) watching wrestling again as casual fans.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

You can say a lot about AEW's early talent, but pretty much all of the veteran talent initially signed bent over backwards to give the younger talent a chance to shine.

(There's a lot of things I could say about Cody returning to the WWE, but the cynic says the good reception is purely Vince counting coup and somewhere in the back someone is oiling up the old Stardust ring gear and waiting for the go-ahead from the boss to ambush Cody with it.)

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
whoever said cody is dedicated to being total white meat babyface, yeesh you weren't kidding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_gsyVqO-yk

well gosh, on one hand I always try my best and don't have a bad word to say about anything, but on the other hand I work really hard and love my family :buddy:

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

PicklePants posted:

Also, who did Rhonda piss off to lose to a big boot from Charlotte?
Apparently she threw a tantrum the day before about her match not being the main event and was threatening to no-show

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

rndmnmbr posted:

(There's a lot of things I could say about Cody returning to the WWE, but the cynic says the good reception is purely Vince counting coup and somewhere in the back someone is oiling up the old Stardust ring gear and waiting for the go-ahead from the boss to ambush Cody with it.)

Supposedly Cody's one condition that he wouldn't back off on was "No Stardust. Absolutely utterly no Stardust. No outfit, no mentions, NOTHING."

If I was a toxxing sort of person, I'd toxx myself that he'd be back in the outfit in SOME way within a year, tops.

Foxfire_ posted:

Apparently she threw a tantrum the day before about her match not being the main event and was threatening to no-show

drat it Rhonda, I once thought you were cool.

Edit: She denies it, I honestly don't know if she's right, it's damage control, or somewhere in the middle.

https://twitter.com/RondaRousey/status/1510665559624531968

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Apr 5, 2022

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Ok then Cody... put this suit on and become MOONGLOW

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
"Might be too close to Moon Knight, sir, we don't want to have a problem with Disney."

"LUNAR LANCELOT THEN, GOD drat IT!"

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
moon knight is too new for vince

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
vince may not even know that the marvel cinematic universe exists... i envy him

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

wesleywillis posted:

Two questions. Has anyone ever jerked off on the belt before they were scheduled to lose it?

Xavier Woods? I don’t remember the details and I’m not in the mood to look it up but him and Paige had a sex tape where I think he came on the women’s belt.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

FilthyImp posted:

Ok then Cody... put this suit on and become MOONGLOW

Just bring back Max Moon. Not like they're doing much else with the IP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5nay5Sw1ag

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Cornwind Evil posted:

drat it Rhonda, I once thought you were cool.

Edit: She denies it, I honestly don't know if she's right, it's damage control, or somewhere in the middle.

https://twitter.com/RondaRousey/status/1510665559624531968

She's a Sandy Hook truther and a TERF. She has strawberry banana yogurt for brains and you should never believe anything she says.

Oh and as anyone who followed her UFC career knows, she's a massive insecure crybaby and hates losing and gets uncontrollably lovely about it. She was supposed to be the babyface in her feud with Charlotte but the fans didn't cheer her enough and they booed her lovely promos and she attacked the fans for booing her because she's a gigantic thin skinned baby and then the WWE had to sit her down and explain to her that she's supposed to be the babyface so she can't yell at the fans when they don't give her the reaction she wants.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

https://twitter.com/WrestleMania/status/1510810163288100865

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"

his face looks like a death mask drat

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Elephant Ambush posted:

She's a Sandy Hook truther and a TERF.

Never knew Ronda Rousey was a radical feminist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

vince may not even know that the marvel cinematic universe exists... i envy him

Same. He still gets to experience all those awesome movies for the first time.