Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I still don't know why everyone on the internet seems to hate Jared Leto so much. I've never heard such vitriol about him expressed by people I work with, random people I encounter at work, people at bars, friends of mine, acquaintances of mine, loves of mine, or anything else. But it doesn't matter what forum or what platform you engage with on the internet, everyone hates Jared Leto. There's probably a tiny niche forum that's entirely focused on discussing a specific part of a car transmission that has people posting how much they hate Jared Leto right this second. I don't get it. I've tried to get it. I'm trying to get it, right now, with this post.

He's a good actor. He might be a lovely person, but he's definitely a good actor.

jared leto's oscar is for playing a trans woman as an oscar bait role

that's not good acting

that's transmisogyny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Herzog’s nosferatu was the best vampire movie bc it portrayed dracula as a little incel freak who was so disgusting he brought a literal plague to everywhere he went.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

TeenageArchipelago posted:

I think that 99% of it comes down to this picture:

After this first promo image for the Joker from Suicide Squad came out it became popular to rag on Jared Leto.

That and all of the insane poo poo that he claims he did to get into character. It makes him come across as an rear end in a top hat who just sucks but thinks that he owns.
Honestly I think this is the main reason. I've been trying to find other ones but, among online people, it seems to come down to the Joker stuff.

Also Jared Leto is a good actor, by the way.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

I still don't know why everyone on the internet seems to hate Jared Leto so much. I've never heard such vitriol about him expressed by people I work with, random people I encounter at work, people at bars, friends of mine, acquaintances of mine, loves of mine, or anything else. But it doesn't matter what forum or what platform you engage with on the internet, everyone hates Jared Leto. There's probably a tiny niche forum that's entirely focused on discussing a specific part of a car transmission that has people posting how much they hate Jared Leto right this second. I don't get it. I've tried to get it. I'm trying to get it, right now, with this post.

He's a good actor. He might be a lovely person, but he's definitely a good actor.

he seems like an insufferable piece of poo poo with his cult thing and his whole stupid method actor poo poo, and he has made some truly dogshit movies lately, which only makes his whole persona even more obnoxious when he clearly doesnt have the talent to back it up

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

babypolis posted:

he seems like an insufferable piece of poo poo with his cult thing and his whole stupid method actor poo poo, which has resulted in some truly dogshit movies

Not just your post but other people's posts boil down to "he's annoying" and I'm telling you I haven't heard people not on the internet have that same position. Usually there's some intersection between randos on the internet, Twitter, and humans out in the real world. That's our culture in the 2020's. But, again, Jared Leto is where the connections break down. I've only ever heard people on the internet hate on him.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

These Internet People sound pretty bad tbh. I'd hate to hang out with them

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

galagazombie posted:

Dracula, and a good deal of the early Vampire stories like Carmilla, are mostly about how we must protect our defenseless White British upper class womenfolk from the sexual depravity of the subhuman Eastern European. Even the ones that don’t have the xenophobia angle, like Varney the Vampire and The Vampyre, still have the victim as an upper class British woman.
Yep. Dracula is a take on the then stereotype of Oriental Sex God. That perspective is of course obscured by the fact that few if any people think of (South-)Eastern Europeans as oriental today, and the stereotypes about Asian men have shifted into the exact opposite place when it comes to sexuality.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Not just your post but other people's posts boil down to "he's annoying"
:chloe:

sexpig by night posted:

he has a weird sex cult and is a serial abuser

God Hole posted:

Leto is definitely a pedo and probably channels that through his weird sex cult mentioned above

Trixie Hardcore posted:

It’s the abuse, harassment, cult and underage fan stuff that most people I know complain about but yeah the Joker stuff is not popular either.

Arivia posted:

jared leto's oscar is for playing a trans woman as an oscar bait role

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
One of my favorite Dracula stories is The Dracula Tape. It's supposed to be a transcript of a tape Dracula made about how we haven't given him a fair shake and he's gonna set the record straight.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Isn’t that kinda just Interview with a Vampire?

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
I dunno. I can't Anne Rice.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Ol Dracula goes into a long explanation about how Van Helsing was a lovely doctor who killed his patients and blamed it on vampires. When he does this it puts Dracula in a rough spot.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Shitstorm Trooper posted:

One of my favorite Dracula stories is The Dracula Tape. It's supposed to be a transcript of a tape Dracula made about how we haven't given him a fair shake and he's gonna set the record straight.

I remember the three little pigs version of this too

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Shadow of the Vampire was good

i liked how the director character allows the vampire actor to kill a woman to avoid ruining the shot. very realistic

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

i say swears online posted:

I remember the three little pigs version of this too

That and the Stinky Cheese Man are extremely formative pieces of media to a certain kinda guy.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

oh, vampires in general (especially post-Blade) have absolutely slid into a niche as a stand-in for aristocratic evil, I'm just talking specifically about the original novel and most of the earlier adaptations, because people always say "oh it's actually about Class because Dracula is a villainous Count" and like, no, that's not the vibe at all going on there and you're going to severely confuse your analysis of the novel if you try to come at it from that angle exclusively

dracula was all about how badly women wanted to get hosed by dracula just like all vampire fiction today hth

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

so ive been reading disgrace by j m coetzee and i feel like i must be missing something here because as far as i can tell the plot of the book is that the main character is a professor who rapes a student and doesnt feel bad about it then goes to live with his daughter for awhile then she gets raped but like for real this time by black thugs with weapons and thats it thats the whole story the moral being that people suck i guess

this won the booker prize and the nobel prize how exactly?

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
The Moffat & Gatiss Dracula is certainly a thing that exists, that’s a Dracula, if I had to mention one.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
God, I probably didn’t need to mention a Dracula, I’m so sorry,

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

it takes a Drac

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

jared leto is extremely funny because hes a classic method acting rear end in a top hat who physically destroyed his body over the course of several roles desperately trying to get an oscar, and then he pretended to be driven insane very badly playing the joker in a movie thats in itself funny because its bad, and also he's a pedophile

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

that doesn't sound funny at all but I'll take your word for it

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
More like Jared Lotta Credible Accusations of Abuse

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Some Guy TT posted:

so ive been reading disgrace by j m coetzee and i feel like i must be missing something here because as far as i can tell the plot of the book is that the main character is a professor who rapes a student and doesnt feel bad about it then goes to live with his daughter for awhile then she gets raped but like for real this time by black thugs with weapons and thats it thats the whole story the moral being that people suck i guess

this won the booker prize and the nobel prize how exactly?

Probably because that's basically oscar bait but for wealthy white men in academia

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

my favorite part of dracula was that he kept his lawyer in a cage and paid him in cockroaches

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

when i say his daughter is raped by black thugs wielding weapons i should also note that she lives in rural post apartheid south africa and this is presented as like just this thing white people have to deal with now is black people and all their crazy rules about being able to rape women without clear clan designations to retaliate on their behalf

like im not sure i could make a more racist story than this if i was engaging a deliberate effort to be offensive it makes heart of darkness look nuanced

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

huh come to think of it black people in disgrace are basically presented as dracula style vampires given that theyre not respectable noble people despite their entire ethical framework deriving from technical rules about castle doctrine

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Francis Ford Coppola's Dracula was about the struggle between choosing a thrilling but unstable romance with a passionate lover or a a dull but safe relationship with a stable spouse.

Gary Oldman and Keanu Reeves were both perfect picks for their respective roles.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Francis Ford Coppola's Dracula was about the struggle between choosing a thrilling but unstable romance with a passionate lover or a a dull but safe relationship with a stable spouse.

Gary Oldman and Keanu Reeves were both perfect picks for their respective roles.

Goddamn such a good movie

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/UpdatesCAP4/status/1508962514545033222

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

lol

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

when i say his daughter is raped by black thugs wielding weapons i should also note that she lives in rural post apartheid south africa and this is presented as like just this thing white people have to deal with now is black people and all their crazy rules about being able to rape women without clear clan designations to retaliate on their behalf

like im not sure i could make a more racist story than this if i was engaging a deliberate effort to be offensive it makes heart of darkness look nuanced

I haven't read Disgrace personally, but I have read other Coetzee work and did a lot of reading of South African-post apartheid literatures for a senior English seminar. Looking at academic and critical responses, there's a LOT of different opinions on the novel, and the question is basically whether you directly think Coetzee is writing about his own thoughts on post-TRC South Africa, or if he's writing an intentionally racist and bigoted character and giving voice to them. No critical or academic consensus on the issue.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

even if you take the charitable approach and say that the professor is supposed to be racist and bigoted that still leaves us with the problem of how the rape of his white daughter by black people is presented as a thing that definitely happened because apparently theyre all members of semiautonomous polygamous rapist homeowners associations and the main conflict between the professor and the daughter is that he thinks this is obviously insane while shes just get with the times dad thats how black people think and its racist for us to judge them for this

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

like it would be one thing for a character to go wow that white woman has a black baby must be because one of the polygamists around here raped her its quite another for a character to witness her being raped and then later on act as an intermediary for marriage negotiations with a local black man who didnt rape her but is definitely implying that it could happen again if she doesnt join his protection racket

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Some Guy TT posted:

even if you take the charitable approach and say that the professor is supposed to be racist and bigoted that still leaves us with the problem of how the rape of his white daughter by black people is presented as a thing that definitely happened because apparently theyre all members of semiautonomous polygamous rapist homeowners associations and the main conflict between the professor and the daughter is that he thinks this is obviously insane while shes just get with the times dad thats how black people think and its racist for us to judge them for this

The professor is one of the least sympathetic characters ever you’re not supposed to take a single thing he does at face value. The psycho homesteader and the daughter are the two white responses to the end of apartheid: ultra violence and self abnegating piety.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

the professor doesnt really do anything aside from raping his student at the beginning of the book his daughters the homesteader not him its not until the penultimate chapter that he does anything you could really call psycho and the psycho thing im referring to is beating up one of the guys who raped his daughter when the professor catches him peeking at her while shes bathing

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

like it would be one thing for a character to go wow that white woman has a black baby must be because one of the polygamists around here raped her its quite another for a character to witness her being raped and then later on act as an intermediary for marriage negotiations with a local black man who didnt rape her but is definitely implying that it could happen again if she doesnt join his protection racket

haven’t read the book but this just makes it sound like to kill a mockingbird on hard mode

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

TheSlutPit posted:

Herzog’s nosferatu was the best vampire movie bc it portrayed dracula as a little incel freak who was so disgusting he brought a literal plague to everywhere he went.

Yeah making him a socially inept creep was a great touch. The dinner scene where the guy cuts himself is unforgettable.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Vampires as sexual metaphor and thus easy as hell to make queer is pretty old, but OG Dracula is an aggressively heterosexual character, especially compared to the other foundational texts of the genre like Carmilla or The Vampyre. Dracula's more of a generic stand-in for everything Other to polite Victorian society and its "modernity", so he's an immigrant but also an outdated aristocrat, a rapist and a symbol of superstition, etc...

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yep. Dracula is a take on the then stereotype of Oriental Sex God. That perspective is of course obscured by the fact that few if any people think of (South-)Eastern Europeans as oriental today, and the stereotypes about Asian men have shifted into the exact opposite place when it comes to sexuality.

If the novel was written today Dracula would 100% be a rich Muslim guy who enslaves women into his harem with his occult powers, that's what european visions of the predatory, backward aristocrat looks like today.

Van Helsing would be a New Atheist/Rationalist or something, idk I haven't given it much thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the first season of homeland is a dracula movie