Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

thetoughestbean posted:

This is probably my favorite explanation for why someone knows something useful when they were isekaid. “My nerd sister wouldn’t shut up about military structure”

Source is A Tale of Small Town Hardship in Sengoku Era, a teenager is sent from the present to the Sengoku era and starts working for Oda Nobunaga, inventing things from the present

A bit unfortunate for them that they didn't learn how effective the Russian military is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

IShallRiseAgain posted:

A bit unfortunate for them that they didn't learn how effective the Russian military is.

It's the Prussian military, with a 'P'.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

wdarkk posted:

It's the Prussian military, with a 'P'.

lol, guess I really need to get new glasses.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
There are a few bits of that one which are a bit "why don't you just wear shoes" but it generally avoids that and is really engaging

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

thetoughestbean posted:

This is probably my favorite explanation for why someone knows something useful when they were isekaid. “My nerd sister wouldn’t shut up about military structure”

Source is A Tale of Small Town Hardship in Sengoku Era, a teenager is sent from the present to the Sengoku era and starts working for Oda Nobunaga, inventing things from the present

I knocked out the first 10 or so chapters of this and I'm really enjoying it. It's not like it's really groundbreaking (except for their farming techniques, heheh) but it's a well told "goes back in time and spreads modern farming and administration techniques to past people's" story.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
I like that she accepts that she already hosed up the timeline, might as well go all out.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I want to get deeper in the plot because we're not hitting any major consequences of divergence yet, but it's been a good fun and chill ride so far.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bremen posted:

I also think the title is deceptive. She doesn't seem very vengeful at all, really.

Well, you know what they say 'the best revenge is living well'

So she's enjoying her relaxing new stress-free lot in life spitefully at everyone else who couldn't care less about her opinion or feelings on anything.

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Made slowly. It's published in parts as a webmanga, and the last part of chapter 20 came out late Feb, with no announced date for the start of ch21.

Oh that explains things. It makes even more sense for this one to be slower than the Video Gaming NPCs are real one now.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

The main things I like about Sengoku Komachi Kurotan is how unlike a lot of isekai, the characters around Shizuko aren't just her fanclub. Everyone's vital in supporting Shizuko, not to mention how Nobunaga himself is practically her co-protagonist. Shizuko may provide the tech, but Nobunaga's got the instincts and genius to make use of it in the battlefield. Shizuko herself is a delightful protag because she doesn't go full sociopath like a lot of isekai protags. She's also humble and feels that she can't take credit for the tech she introduces because these were all things that other people worked hard to discover. It's a refreshing self-awareness that's hard to find in a lot of similar manga.

That said, there are a couple of one-off things that I found rather weird. First was the reference to Mark Zuckerberg which came out of loving nowhere. :laffo: The second was in chapter 37 where one of Shizuko's fellow time travelers, who's in his 50s, comes back with a young bride. Sure, he sees her as a granddaughter who he was basically forced to adopt, but it's still weird as hell that it happened. :wtc:

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

amigolupus posted:

The main things I like about Sengoku Komachi Kurotan is how unlike a lot of isekai, the characters around Shizuko aren't just her fanclub. Everyone's vital in supporting Shizuko, not to mention how Nobunaga himself is practically her co-protagonist. Shizuko may provide the tech, but Nobunaga's got the instincts and genius to make use of it in the battlefield. Shizuko herself is a delightful protag because she doesn't go full sociopath like a lot of isekai protags. She's also humble and feels that she can't take credit for the tech she introduces because these were all things that other people worked hard to discover. It's a refreshing self-awareness that's hard to find in a lot of similar manga.

That said, there are a couple of one-off things that I found rather weird. First was the reference to Mark Zuckerberg which came out of loving nowhere. :laffo: The second was in chapter 37 where one of Shizuko's fellow time travelers, who's in his 50s, comes back with a young bride. Sure, he sees her as a granddaughter who he was basically forced to adopt, but it's still weird as hell that it happened. :wtc:

Also this:

But overall it's been a fun read.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Reveilled posted:

Also this:

I’m not gonna defend the atrocities of imperial japan, but I think there’s a lot of racism and propaganda in the justification for using nuclear bombs in ww2 that many people are taught. Probably hard to know exactly what the author is getting at there without some deep dive, but I’d hope they are referring to the latter

Also not interested in engaging this topic further in this thread lol

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

There's been plenty of civilizations that were probably no worse than their neighbors but when they were gone or lost power were turned into baby eating monsters.

The Assyrians, Comanche and Mongol all had pretty big smear jobs.

So I'll give the author the benefit of the doubt until they just come out and say Japan's adventures before and during WW2 were okay.

Guyver fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 4, 2022

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
Honestly, even if you take the least charitable interpretation of that panel, it's just one panel and is still relatively innocuous. When you compare it to the wave after wave of jingoistic circlejerkery you get in so many isekai before you even touch truly awful stuff like Gate it's hardly worth making note of.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Isekai protags invent curry or katanas and it's treated as a revolution. I'm rereading Sword Dad right now and I'm 1000000% certain at some point he's going to get broken and then reforged as a katana, which, listen, a katana is just a two-handed sabre made of bad steel. You know what'd be sick? Getting reforged into a naginata. I could accept that.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Nah. Sword Dad can already reform as a katana if he wants.

Anyway you can't Daicon fly on a katana.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ragnar34 posted:

Isekai protags invent curry or katanas and it's treated as a revolution. I'm rereading Sword Dad right now and I'm 1000000% certain at some point he's going to get broken and then reforged as a katana, which, listen, a katana is just a two-handed sabre made of bad steel. You know what'd be sick? Getting reforged into a naginata. I could accept that.

Someone post the Web or Light Novel where someone forges a Sephiroth Masamune after 3 months of intense blacksmithing

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

Reveilled posted:

Also this:

I also want to point out that even in their era, some of the factions has been portrayed as non-virtuous after they lost. Biggest example being her very own liege, Nobunaga himself.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Considering how many isekai use the isekai trope purely to kick off the story + give an alternate viepoint, then never touches it again, how are people's feelings on wholesome isekai-adjacent stuff? (Or just fantasy directly, I only really heard of Heterogeneous Linguistics though here. Maybe also Witch Hat Atelier?)

One I kinda like, though short so far:
The King of Cave Will Live a Paradise Life

Guy gets exiled to a lovely island for idiots because his crest appears to be useless, turns out it just works in caves and he's great at mining and crafting.
Ends up accidentally creating an island nation. Also contains some incredibly dapper orcs.

I'd say it's a honorary isekai in that:
a: He's in a completely new area, dealing with stuff he's not used to, as an outsider.
b: The world already seems isekai-ey in that the status screen talks about units that don't exist in that universe.
('We've currently dug down 10 meters' 'what's a meter?')

It takes a lot of the same steps towards development, except having them happen a bit more naturally instead of going 'as a japanese, i require a hot spring, we must make it so. Also soy sauce.'.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I'm I wrong for looking at a new one recommended and seeing < 50 chapters and thinking, it needs to cook a bit longer before I can start?

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
Any recommendations for something where the fish out of water actually make an effort to blend in and avoid attention? Maybe focusing on stealth or fighting unarmed? I liked the Sebas bits in Overlord for that reason.

Mine is The Eminence in Shadow where the protagonist is a dumbass chuuni who's accidentally correct about a world-spanning conspiracy. There's some amusing dramatic irony from his awestruck subordinates.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
From what I read of the LN translation of this one it probably fits the bill, but the manga isn't very far along.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Eeepies posted:

I also want to point out that even in their era, some of the factions has been portrayed as non-virtuous after they lost. Biggest example being her very own liege, Nobunaga himself.

Yeah it's literally just standard "history is written by the victors" stuff

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Sengoku komachi is a good series

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Guyver posted:

There's been plenty of civilizations that were probably no worse than their neighbors but when they were gone or lost power were turned into baby eating monsters.

The Assyrians, Comanche and Mongol all had pretty big smear jobs.

So I'll give the author the benefit of the doubt until they just come out and say Japan's adventures before and during WW2 were okay.

Mongolia still exists, btw

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
Not to quite the same extent.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

A jargogle posted:

Not to quite the same extent.

Sure but they survived and maintained their culture for centuries even through to today. They may not have as much territory as they did at the height of their empire but they still hold a goodly sized country.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yeah my point is more that unlike the Assyrians, they're still around. As are the Comanche Nation. Treating them as dead is part of the smear job of modern imperialism.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Mors Rattus posted:

Mongolia still exists, btw

So do the Comanche. The lost power part of the post is for that.

Edit: oh hey look at that.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

SubNat posted:

Considering how many isekai use the isekai trope purely to kick off the story + give an alternate viepoint, then never touches it again, how are people's feelings on wholesome isekai-adjacent stuff? (Or just fantasy directly, I only really heard of Heterogeneous Linguistics though here. Maybe also Witch Hat Atelier?)

One I kinda like, though short so far:
The King of Cave Will Live a Paradise Life

Guy gets exiled to a lovely island for idiots because his crest appears to be useless, turns out it just works in caves and he's great at mining and crafting.
Ends up accidentally creating an island nation. Also contains some incredibly dapper orcs.

I'd say it's a honorary isekai in that:
a: He's in a completely new area, dealing with stuff he's not used to, as an outsider.
b: The world already seems isekai-ey in that the status screen talks about units that don't exist in that universe.
('We've currently dug down 10 meters' 'what's a meter?')

It takes a lot of the same steps towards development, except having them happen a bit more naturally instead of going 'as a japanese, i require a hot spring, we must make it so. Also soy sauce.'.

Well, I enjoyed this, so thank you for sharing it. It's definitely one "oh I remember being a businessman" panel away from being your typical isekai, but as you said it feels a lot more natural about the typical developments.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Recently read this weird reincarnation webtoon called Flavors of Reincarnation on Tapas, which is about a schoolteacher who died protecting her students and was rewarded with the opportunity to select her "stats" for her next life (in Korea again, no isekai). Being perhaps more than a little bitter at dying a virgin, she dumps everything into "beauty" using the logic that beautiful people always coast through life, right? But as it turns out, if you are beautiful but also poor, unlucky, bad at everything, and most importantly dumb, it is in fact very hard to get what you want.

Honestly, I wouldn't even say it's particularly good, except for the fact that the main character being dumb and always making bad decisions is completely explained and therefore hilarious instead of frustrating. Like, "welp, there she goes again with her 1 point of wisdom." It isn't even like cartoonishly dumb, more realistically dumb? But still pretty dumb.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Apr 5, 2022

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think a lot of people would jam on the + button next to sexy until it broke without a second of hesitation

Leviathean
Oct 22, 2012

?
Starting to notice a lot of neat stories mentioned here are being officially(?) hosted on tapas, is this site legitimate? Are they treating the various authors/localizers well? I don’t mind buying “ink points” to support creative works, just want to verify things here.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
They're owned by Kakao, who is a legitimate source of Manhwa. Not sure how well Kakao treats their artists, but I haven't heard of anything bad.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

I’m embarrassed to admit I don’t really understand how to use the Tapas etc stuff, so I don’t. Something about buying chapters rather than being able to subscribe rubs me wrong or makes me feel like I’m gonna be spending bonkers money to read something long.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Shirec posted:

I’m embarrassed to admit I don’t really understand how to use the Tapas etc stuff, so I don’t. Something about buying chapters rather than being able to subscribe rubs me wrong or makes me feel like I’m gonna be spending bonkers money to read something long.

Well, it's about 38 cents per chapter if you buy in $5 increments, so you can estimate how much money it would take to unlock certain series. Beware the Villainess is 92 chapters long, so that's $35 for the whole thing. Also, if you enable "1-Tap" unlock on the phone app and unlock chapters that way, you save 20%, so that $35 becomes $28.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

But yeah, I agree that the psychological hindrance of buying a bunch of small things is more grating than the actual cost itself, it drives me batty.
I really prefer Webtoon's model where you only pay for early access to the 3-8 newest chapters, since that makes it a lot easier to get into a big series, and then after that it's just a weekly/biweekly thing where you grab a new chapter.
Though if given the option I'd prefer a subscription over separate purchases, but I understand having each chapter be individually buyable makes it a lot easier in terms of licensing and costs etc, allowing them to court a lot more series at once.

It's kind of daunting when you just see dozens of purchases, even though they usually don't add up to more than the cost of a book or two, otherwise.
At the same time I can completely understand people shying away when you can binge read 1 series, or pay for like 2-4 months of netflix for a similar cost.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
I can see how that would be a hindrance. I'm just the opposite psychologically about subscriptions, though. If I have a subscription, I feel like I must read a lot, otherwise I've wasted my money if I didn't. With buying piecemeal, I can take it at my own pace.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Tapas offers a large amount of ways to get free currency so following one or two for free is fairly easy. Every Monday gives a random amount of ink just for signing in and clicking a button.

Tapas usually gets raws directly from the artist/group and uses pro translators so the quality tends to be a bit better. Most aggregation sites rip from Tapas for this reason.

I only use it for TBATE (probably my favorite series currently), but it does that one really well.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

I’ll give it another whirl, are Webtoon and Tapas the ones to stick to? I’ve seen Tappytoon out there as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
Those are the big three.