Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Natural 20 posted:

Stop goes through everything and can't be cleared.

Technically, Quahaug can clear Stop. (Or, rather, make it so it never hit in the first place.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Prowler posted:

Technically, Quahaug can clear Stop. (Or, rather, make it so it never hit in the first place.)

But he is also the (only?) person that inflict the status to begin with right?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

But he is also the (only?) person that inflict the status to begin with right?

Him and his mom

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Cephas posted:

Man, the bombs in the mines mission is rude AF. I feel like one thing that strategy games need to be extremely judicious with are enemy reinforcement spawns. I think they're generally not a good gameplay mechanic. They can work when the risk of reinforcements arriving at a specific spot is a unique part of the mission. But just having reinforcements spawn at random points on the map without warning sucks. It's bad in Fire Emblem and it's bad in this game. Especially on hard, where positioning and risk assessment are such a big part of the strategy.

That scenario is completely free if you abuse Anna's cloaking and are careful with how and when you move her.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Finally got around to this over the last week after Elden Ring swallowed my soul(no pun intended) for a month. Here's my thoughts:

While there is no job system, the game has a lot in common with Final Fantasy Tactics and that's a good thing. I love me some political intrigue and while this was more of a broad strokes affair there were quite a few paths and decisions that definitely ventured into the shades of grey morality that usually accompanies these types of stories. So while I found Serenoa to be a bit too goody-goody, or willing to just go along with whatever stupid plan Roland was going to do because of the scales, a lot of the side characters were nice and complex. Unfortunately the game could not just figure out how to pace these character cutscenes well and there was a lot of clicking to watch side stories when it felt like those should have been a bit more complex, perhaps with some compelling gameplay, or at the very least paced better. Prior to the end game outside the city, I counted 8 pop up side stories. Again, I liked having them there but they needed to come as rewards from using the characters and been woven in a bit better.

I liked that the game felt like there were quite a few different paths, although I'll probably be disappointed with how much is repeated were I to go read the wiki. I'd guess that for every time the path, that is you use the scales, splits you end up with at least 3 +/-1 different fights.

Although there was no job system, fleshing out the characters abilities in a very slow manner was rewarding, the downside being that sometimes I very much regretted my decision of who I spent my resources on as there was no way(in the endgame) to grind out their Tier 3 weapon skills or get some of the units to their highest job level. This was especially aggravating when I was forced to created three different parties, despite the game never suggesting to me that I needed to level *ALL* the characters. So that was my only real complaint as it felt like something that should have been a recurring gameplay mechanic and felt needlessly grindy to pad out the gameplay time a bit.

My core party was Serenoa, Anna, Frederica, Hughette, Hossabara, Geela, Rudolph, Archibald, Milo, with Avlora happily replacing Roland. When given the opportunity for more Narve, Jens and Lionel were on the short list and late game Flanagan got a couple uses just to try him out. Benedict just never quite clicked for me, mostly because he was always getting picked off too easily and there were always other units I wanted to upgrade instead of him. Erador felt really weak as a tank, and his taunt really needed to have some range; one of the reasons I liked Lionel(that and the best VA in the game other than Avlora).

Quietus I used most were In Tandem, Restore, and either Lightwave or Fleet-Footed depending on the fight. During boss fights Missed Opportunity was an MVP.

Story beats, I was mostly indifferent too but the scene after there must be another way was pretty great and I shed a few tears for Serenoa's speech/reactions.

Music wise there were a few tracks that were good, but nothing crazy good I had to go google the soundtrack to learn the name of.

Doesn't supplant Tactics as the best, but it's probably better than Fell Seal. Maybe not gameplay wise, but total experience was better. Very solid though.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 5, 2022

Prowler
May 24, 2004

PaybackJack posted:

Doesn't supplant Tactics as the best, but it's probably better than Fell Seal. Maybe not gameplay wise, but total experience was better. Very solid though.

Am I correct in guessing you haven't played Tactics Ogre? This game has a lot more in common with Tactics Ogre than Final Fantasy Tactics.

Edit: And, this may be blasphemy, but I think Tactics Ogre is a better overall package than FFT, while FFT is more fun overall.

Edit: Namely:
1. Multiple paths
2. Multiple endings
3. Path specific characters
4. Terrain matters a lot--it can be burned, frozen, etc. It modifies stats, hit rates, movement penalties, etc.
5. Archers get a significant advantage in range from height.
6. A terminally stupid best friend (well, depends on the path)
7. Transforming battlefields (I think this may be only in the PSP remake and The Knight of Lodis only: rivers flood with rain and etc.)
8. Ability to affect the weather, weather has an impact on various mechanics (e.g. archer accuracy).

All things that aren't found in FFT. I am pretty sure there's more, but yeah, I view this as more influenced by TO than FFT.

Prowler fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 5, 2022

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’m not the OP, but the only reason I haven’t played Tactics Ogre is because the text is all in caps. I honestly couldn’t get past that. So hard to read.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
drat it. The solution to beating the Roselle village map is that there are a bunch of ladders on the side of the building opposite where the camera starts, isn't it?

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Eh, I think I've used those ladders maybe once in all the battles I've fought on that map, and that was on an attempt that I already knew was doomed.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

DalaranJ posted:

drat it. The solution to beating the Roselle village map is that there are a bunch of ladders on the side of the building opposite where the camera starts, isn't it?

It really depends on which battle you're fighting there. If starting on the high ground, I usually hold the upper left portion of the map and create a choke point. Taunt all the approaching melee units, and try to focus fire the mages so they don't continually wreck your party with lightning (especially if you're using Erador, who explodes if you light a match near him).

Make sure you pay attention to status ailment weaknesses. Many bosses aren't immune--or just have high defense against them--so a blind, immobilize, etc can work wonders.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

DalaranJ posted:

Archers. Bring as many as you can.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Prowler posted:

Am I correct in guessing you haven't played Tactics Ogre? This game has a lot more in common with Tactics Ogre than Final Fantasy Tactics.

Edit: And, this may be blasphemy, but I think Tactics Ogre is a better overall package than FFT, while FFT is more fun overall.

Edit: Namely:
1. Multiple paths
2. Multiple endings
3. Path specific characters
4. Terrain matters a lot--it can be burned, frozen, etc. It modifies stats, hit rates, movement penalties, etc.
5. Archers get a significant advantage in range from height.
7. Transforming battlefields (I think this may be only in the PSP remake and The Knight of Lodis only: rivers flood with rain and etc.)
8. Ability to affect the weather, weather has an impact on various mechanics (e.g. archer accuracy).

All things that aren't found in FFT. I am pretty sure there's more, but yeah, I view this as more influenced by TO than FFT.

I did play the first TO but since I got it after FFT it was kind of forgotten. I played The Knight of Lodis as well but also didn't get into that one as the Tactics games never felt right on handhelds.
Either way, FFT is the gold standard for all Tactics style games, even ones that have more in common with a Warcraft custom map, like Shadow Tactics.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I've never liked FFT very much. Triangle Strategy is far better in my view.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

"I'll just go where the wind points me" is an easy first-playthrough philosophy to follow until my companions disagree with me. I know it's the pragmatic option and I've avoided that in all my dialogue choices so far, but I'm genre-savvy enough to tell that going this way will have us reconnect with a cool guy I want as an ally! Stop being all moral and poo poo!

First playthrough defending the town without using any of the morally-questionable plot mechanics was a heck of a lot of fun. It was a fighting retreat I was sure was hopeless (on that attempt) until I realized they couldn't get on the roof. After that it turned into a lot of tactical losses to take out enemy ranges units, and my archer ended the battle plinking the general and four shieldbearers while they stood there helpless. A win's a win, I was so happy to find out the game acknowledges that, after my first attempt where I only used the one that burned the cleared area and it was still treated like I'd torched the whole town.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

Prowler posted:

Is that why Roland is dumber than a stump? I am in chapter 17 and my only regret with choosing Frederica's path is that Benedict left instead of Roland. New Game + I'll go for the Golden ending, I just could not convince people to smuggle the salt the first time through.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Welp, I beat the game taking two of the endgame paths; I'm not gonna check the third one even for curiosity's sake.

I ended up agreeing with Frederica for every single major choice, because she pretty clearly had the right ideas. I genuinely did not expect that policy to go where it did, and I was thinking I was gonna be mad at the game for not letting me pick the obviously correct solution, but then it did! A+ routing.

I never struggled to influence a vote in my favor, but I guess I had a pretty consistent moral profile and the game did outright tell me that it was gonna be a lot harder to convince people to do the things I didn't want, so I guess just consistently agreeing with one viewpoint is easy mode there.

The other route was a bit of a letdown; you've got a cool confrontation and some scheme-hatchery at the start, but then it's just three fights straight in a row, two on some non-descript desert plains, and one on a reused map. And while I agree with Roland that capitalism is evil, his alternative was an equally corrupt system of state capitalism but also one founded on slavery. Then we get a nice little ending scene of him lamenting the plight of the people he sought to enslave, and also cozying up to Emperor Palpatine. lmao get hosed roland you are not vindicated by any of this

Gonna check out New Game+ probably sooner rather than later, easter break is coming up, but this was a nice SRPG. Jens was my surprise champion, he saved my bacon on so many occasions.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Roland is a worse character than anyone in LUCT or FFT, quite literally being mad at benny about allying with aesfrost after LITERALLY spitting in Frederica's face that her people can suffer forever for everyone else

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I mean I wouldn't want to side with the guy who literally stabbed my dad and older brother in front of me

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Tactics Ogre: I dunno, the first thing Vyce does is convince you to attack a random band of supremely overpowered knights he mistakes for another group of extremely powerful knights (and failing miserably to do so), and, later on on the Chaos route, he's perfectly fine with murdering a group of innocent people . In general, he's a dick on that route.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Junpei posted:

I mean I wouldn't want to side with the guy who literally stabbed my dad and older brother in front of me

Related to the same spoiler.
I think Aesfrost being moustache twirling lunatics does at least give you SOME reason why Roland wouldn't ever side with them

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I only think Roland is a poo poo because it was specifically right after putting down Frederica for being "too emotional"

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Roland sucks but he sucks in a very human and believable way and that’s why he’s the best character.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Lyla > Trish > Roland > Milo > Avolra are the top 5

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
So turns out if you beat the game on NG+ and load the save you get a second version of NG+ where everything is level 50. Aka NG++ which is pretty cool!

Unfortunately I need to play the game like 4 more times at this point to get every character and have every character in the true ending.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Natural 20 posted:

So turns out if you beat the game on NG+ and load the save you get a second version of NG+ where everything is level 50. Aka NG++ which is pretty cool!

Unfortunately I need to play the game like 4 more times at this point to get every character and have every character in the true ending.

I’ve somehow lucked out and will get it in four runs. Not looking forward to NG++ though… maybe it won’t suck as bad once I’ve gotten all of the weapon skills for my crew?

I choose to side with Aesfrost this time and things seem way too good to be true so far, looking forward to when the poo poo inevitably hits the fan.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Roland is a well-written himbo and I respect his and Serenoa's deep and passionate relationship.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Maybe in another life Roland could have been a himbo but under the circumstances I think he's got too much angst and pent up aggression to really qualify.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
a himbo forced to be a fail son

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Finally bit the bullet and picked this up.

Speaking of tactics games, still rooting for Unsung Story. Eight years running, entire original crew left it for dead, small indie developer trying to do it justice. Just all the ingredients for a true underdog story. Good luck Little Orbit. :cheers:

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

To me the nail in the coffin for Roland was that in addition to having some terrible plans, he just wasn't a terribly good unit. Although I didn't use Benedict too often, using him to feed Frederica or Narve double actions so they could nuke twice quickly was far more helpful than Roland was. Roland seemed like he was going to be tanky but few units actually seemed to withstand more than 3 hits and Roland was not usually one of them. His damage was usually great first turn but without his "move and damage" effect he wasn't hitting very hard. The enemy typically did a good job of not standing in a line for him which meant someone else had to move them there.

I had similar issues with Maxwell but at least he had a nice throw that let him stay out of danger and still hit good angles.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Apr 7, 2022

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I actually found Roland to be a great damage-dealer, but I invested in his defenses a lot and gave him double defense rings. Even with that, though, he was still a flanker and not a tank. Maxwell I have some trouble with. He really seems like his defense ought to be like 3-4 points higher right out the gate.

if I could make some balance changes to the game, they'd probably be:
-Raise magic defense slightly all around (Spark is a guaranteed 2-shot on any unit on hard, it's wild)
-Raise HP slightly on Hughette and Anna
-Give Hossabara more magic defense and let Be Brave heal herself
-Give Roland and Maxwell a little more defense
-Give Piccoletta a mid-tier upgrade that reduces Ball Toss's cost to 0
-Change Frederica's pillars of fire to a flame version of Corentin's ice wall, and make it create extra strong hazardous terrain for 3 rounds
-Give archery skills the same range and targeting rules as regular archery attacks

I guess this is how those FFT rebalance mods are born huh. I wonder if my issues with magic defense and hughette & anna's HP come from how quickly the upgrade trees get super expensive.

Cephas fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 7, 2022

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Cephas posted:

-Give archery skills the same range and targeting rules as regular archery attacks

Ehhh, I could get behind most of those changes, but this just feels like unnecessary homogenization, especially since a lot of them already do. I get that it feels bad when there's something blocking direct line of sight, but I think the balance on those skills is fine, and edged arrow in particular seems like it'd probably be slightly overtuned if a big enough height advantage let Archibald use it from like 8 spaces away.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Maxwell really doesn't need more defense. Traverse is incredibly powerful as a tool because he can just jump to an enemy, stab it and then walk back to safety, so he never really needs to frontline if he doesn't want to. That and the fact that he's got a self res means that he probably has more overall tank than any damage unit in the game. (Apart from maybe Milo)

Roland suffers a lot because he doesn't have a tool to get out once he's committed to engage. He does a lot of damage, but he's in melee on low defense so you're either committing item slots to make him eat 3+ attacks without dying or actions to heal him through the beating enemies can lay on him.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Okay I took a look at New Game+ and I gotta ask: is there any way to get more Superior crafting materials in some way? I picked up a handful in exploration segments and cleaned out the peddler's stock, but it seems like that's it? There were abilities I never got to unlock because I turned out to have a fondness for characters with stone-based weapons, and I'm gonna sour on NG+ real quick if it doesn't let me change up my crew and unlock the full potential of all these weird gimmick characters I never really tried.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Okay I took a look at New Game+ and I gotta ask: is there any way to get more Superior crafting materials in some way? I picked up a handful in exploration segments and cleaned out the peddler's stock, but it seems like that's it? There were abilities I never got to unlock because I turned out to have a fondness for characters with stone-based weapons, and I'm gonna sour on NG+ real quick if it doesn't let me change up my crew and unlock the full potential of all these weird gimmick characters I never really tried.

On NG+ the merchant restocks at the same rate he does in the normal game. So midway through you should have enough to upgrade everyone to tier 3 weapons. Additional superior crafting materials show up later on in the run. Typically you'll be able to upgrade everyone with at least one rank of their level 3 abilities through NG+ and deep enough in get some to 2 ranks of level 3. (There are also tavern missions that let you access them)

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Lionel keeps restocking at points. New Game + is structured so you can’t grind and buy as much as you want so you can get everyone’s abilities. However when you do New Game ++ (doing a New Game + from your New Game+) the game acknowledges that you’ve hit the levelling limit and the balance is now maxed, and then just dumps 99 of all the crafting mats onto Lionel so it’s just a matter of grinding out the money. So if you want ALL their level 3’s that’s what you will need to do

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1512089029419810833

:sickos:

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Cephas posted:

if I could make some balance changes to the game, they'd probably be:
-Give Hossabara more magic defense and let Be Brave heal herself
-Give Roland and Maxwell a little more defense

Agree with these two for sure. Don't necessarily agree on the others but my person change would be to give Frederica an easier/cheaper way to set tiles on fire, namely so she can immolate herself a bit easier. Also maybe just get rid of channeling skills because those are always(in Tactics games) either hilariously good because you find a way to cheat them quicker, or terrible because the enemy is rarely actually hit by them. It's cool that Frederica can drop suns on people but bad because it takes her 8 million turns to do it and ends up not really catching anyone for meaningful (overall)damage.

I'd also just make it so that infinite Superior mats and class upgrade items are available in the first playthrough because it really sucked getting new characters and not being able to use them to their full capability because I'd unknowingly spent the mats on other units. I get that you want to give some reason to grind stuff on future NG+ but that just says to me that they could have gone with an epic 4th tier that was just another single generic damage/hp option and had everyone use the same hard to grind material available from really high end tavern missions. While it seems unlikely that players in this genre would, I could see some people getting stuck in that same way and just writing the whole game off. I get that they wanted to give these out sparingly to make the choices more impactful but by Chapter 15-16 they should just all be 100% available and if you want to grind them out you can.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Roland isn't the best unit but he's okay if you play conservatively with him.

I think Hossadora, Piccoletta and Giovanna need buffing. Hossadora having be brave self heal might be enough, I'd also reduce catapult to 2 tp.

Piccoletta could have a skill that gives a 50% chance thrown offensive items are not consumed. Or just make it 2 TP to throw an offensive item and not consume it.

Give Giovanna an ability to generate a random effect on a tile (grass, fire, ice or water) so she's more self-sufficient.

To be honest if there's one change I'd want them to make, it's to make it so that the inventory screen shows which units you've deployed.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prowler
May 24, 2004

They attempted to balance the ability to hit from two tiles away by making spear units somewhat fragile; unfortunately, in practice, it means you have to pay extra attention to how you place those units, since being a tile away means leaving a gap in your line--if you're establishing one. It also means you aren't getting follow-up attacks. These units are really meant to be used to flank enemies once you have good positioning. Roland, in particular, is one of a few units who can trigger multiple follow-up attacks (others include Hossabara and Groma).

Anna doesn't need more health because she's specifically supposed to be a glass cannon, and has a method of avoiding getting targeted altogether on top of high move and surmount. Same with Hughette: archers aren't supposed to be sturdy, they hit from a distance and can usually avoid damage because of it.

I do agree about the magic defense, though. Mages having high MDEF makes sense on paper but doesn't work in practice. Really, I think the damage of lightning could be nerfed a little, since some forms have a chance for a secondary debuff.

Giovanna would be better if her ranged attack had elemental damage instead of physical. A single target magic attack from range--even if you had the same targeting restrictions--would be helpful. The side effect is that it'd limit followups, I guess.