Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

FFT posted:

Okay, fine.

Sure am glad that in so many zombie apocalypses everyone's sensitive enough about appropriation that they won't even do it off-hand.

Good thing we avoided any issues with using a term for the risen dead by pretending nobody in-setting has ever heard of the most relevant word for them.

I don't think there's any merit in protecting a term for undead slaves as if that's better for Vodou practitioners or something.

:ok:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

FFT posted:

Okay, fine.

Sure am glad that in so many zombie apocalypses everyone's sensitive enough about appropriation that they won't even do it off-hand.

Good thing we avoided any issues with using a term for the risen dead by pretending nobody in-setting has ever heard of the most relevant word for them.

I don't think there's any merit in protecting a term for undead slaves as if that's better for Vodou practitioners or something.

Are you ok

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

FFT posted:

Okay, fine.

It is very, very easy to imagine a world where zombie media never became huge

You literally could do it just by making George Romero really into sports or something

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

FFT posted:

Okay, fine.

I just assumed that with franchises like TWD, they used their own term to both avoid monotony (calling everything a Zombie with a type of qualifier) and improve the flow of speech ("we were trailing a group of normal zombies, but then were attacked by a group of the running type"), but also to kind of "brand" their type of zombie to the franchise. If someone mentions Walkers with regards to undead, they're probably talking about TWD as opposed to one of Romero's Zombies.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
I took the naming convention that my a buddy of mine using for skeletons in Sea of Thieves and apply it to Zombie movies now. Vanilla Boys, Salad Boys, Shiny Boys, Party Boys, Spooky Boys...

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Velocity Raptor posted:

I just assumed that with franchises like TWD, they used their own term to both avoid monotony (calling everything a Zombie with a type of qualifier) and improve the flow of speech ("we were trailing a group of normal zombies, but then were attacked by a group of the running type"), but also to kind of "brand" their type of zombie to the franchise. If someone mentions Walkers with regards to undead, they're probably talking about TWD as opposed to one of Romero's Zombies.
That would be a great point in a different setting, but I don't know that TWD even has "runners" (it certainly doesn't in the first seasons or in the first hundred or so comics) so it's odd to set up a distinction like that without an in-character need for it.

Traditional slow zombies? Just call them zombies. Call them "walkers" and "runners" and "bounders" and "flyers" and also the various types in LFD when that distinction becomes more useful than a simple "there are zombies over there"

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Philippe posted:

Okay Windle Poons

Windle Poons wasn't technically a zombie - he died but kept on moving around because Death was off having an existential crisis. You're (probably) thinking of Reg Shoe, who ran the Fresh Start Club for new zombies - sorry, differently alive persons - which Poons attended, and had very definite Opinions on the correct language to use when describing them.

(I hate that I didn't even have to Google that, to the point that I'd actually be grateful if I'd got it wrong)

ZipOtter
Jul 22, 2007

Slow walkers are zombies
Runners are zoombies
Undead children are zombini

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Windle Poons wasn't technically a zombie - he died but kept on moving around because Death was off having an existential crisis. You're (probably) thinking of Reg Shoe, who ran the Fresh Start Club for new zombies - sorry, differently alive persons - which Poons attended, and had very definite Opinions on the correct language to use when describing them.

(I hate that I didn't even have to Google that, to the point that I'd actually be grateful if I'd got it wrong)
It's never bad to know your Pratchett

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Zopotantor posted:

You’re not allowed to say the Z word, it’s discriminatory. They prefer to be called "differently alive".

"Mortally challenged" thank you very much :colbert:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Windle Poons wasn't technically a zombie - he died but kept on moving around because Death was off having an existential crisis.
Okay what was the short story where in the far-flung future cemeteries are considered wastes of space and when the main character is exhumed he's like "uh guess I'm alive again?" and everyone's past belief in the supernatural so they're like "nah, off to the crematorium with you" and he's all "but I'd rather not get burned"

very much like that gif from One Piece (I think) that was posted earlier

Ends with a Poe reference but I've had at least 15 years of failing to find it again

e: there's a funny bit about how they're so past supernatural stuff that the main character goes to a library or something and asks if they have any Lovecraft and the response is "is that some sort of sex manual?"

stringless has a new favorite as of 15:22 on Apr 4, 2022

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgxhkVzbg1w

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I stand corrected! Thank you.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
https://i.imgur.com/9PV0w3L.mp4
sound

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

ZipOtter posted:

Slow walkers are zombies
Runners are zoombies
Undead children are zombini

Frozen ones are zomboni’s

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Freshly turned ones who are only there to be defeated easily are zombronis

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
ZomTonies
Zomcronies
Zomonloanies
Zommoanies
Zomjanandbuttersconies
Zomphonies
Zomxylophonies

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
The blue ones that solve little logic puzzles are zoombinis.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
undead Italian Americans are called gabaghouls

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Friday night at the Villages

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Friday night at the Villages
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzZNWqUJuA4

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Those who spend every waking moment in video meetings are zoombwait gently caress

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
People tend to forget that the very first zombie in Night of the Living Dead runs after Barbara, and is even seen chasing her car. (The zombie also uses a tool when he smashes the car window with a rock.)

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The only way to be sure that you're correct is to start a fresh read through of the entire Discworld series, then go and read the other Pratchett works as well.

It's a tough job, but I guess I'll have to step up and do it.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/fMy9Ygz.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/9QNZGCB.mp4

Infinitum has a new favorite as of 05:57 on Apr 5, 2022

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Crescent Wrench posted:

People tend to forget that the very first zombie in Night of the Living Dead runs after Barbara, and is even seen chasing her car. (The zombie also uses a tool when he smashes the car window with a rock.)

That zombie went off to make his own unofficial knock off sequel called Flesheater.

It’s really bad.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
https://i.imgur.com/ZRaHj2p.mp4

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Is this a

What is this

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

credburn posted:

Is this a

What is this
Looks like a dentist.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I believe it's a .PNG file

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

No, no. It's a hand.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
A White Hole?...:confused:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A White Hole?...:confused:

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

https://twitter.com/CSMFHT/status/1511242861110775809

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

And now you know why Sarcophagi exist! :pseudo:

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Yeah, to put the pussy in.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
https://twitter.com/fraubalhorn/status/1509889336422060032?t=1eHKGV-xEsYM_TEyxleQow&s=19

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Das ist Karl Marx, ja?

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Das ist Karl Marx, ja?

It is: when Chemnitz was in East Germany it was called Karl-Marx-Stadt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jorgos Nuuh
Dec 28, 2004
Pröööööt

Breetai posted:

*points to a big pair of tiddies that have "Lifeforce" written on them*

Space vampires are not zombies, but to be fair them tiddies are nice. I also thought it was Lifeforce, I miss the time of practical effects.