Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I know it’s not WHFB related but it’s loving hilarious and amazing that GW said they were bringing back Squats for April fools and then the day after April fools said it wasn’t a joke and GW posted a model to prove it. how do you say “Chad” in khazalid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

I know it’s not WHFB related but it’s loving hilarious and amazing that GW said they were bringing back Squats for April fools and then the day after April fools said it wasn’t a joke and GW posted a model to prove it. how do you say “Chad” in khazalid

It's 'Arghy'

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Tiler Kiwi posted:

dwarf-things, but i will also accept stunties
This guy gets it.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?
Sacking taking a long time seems pretty antithetical to the whole concept of sacking. The idea is to loot poo poo and move on.

It only takes a few turns to build some pretty insanely complex projects like mines, roads, castles, etc. I don't see why it should take as long to tear it down as to build it up. Especially if we're going lore-wise I really don't think it'd take too long to burn the poo poo out of a town, especially with giants who can just kick over houses and wizards who can call down fire from the skies, orcs who absolutely enjoy doing it, rats undermining the place, tireless undead, etc.

History is full of examples of cities built up over centuries and ransacked and smahed out in a matter of days or weeks. Fire gets hungry.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

DaysBefore posted:

It's 'Arghy'

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I tried to enjoy the beastmen in WH2 but they just seem so ridiculously overpowered. They don't need cities and they don't have upkeep and you can become invisible to the AI at the end of every round so they can't ever retaliate. It seems like it's not even possible to lose with the Beastmen unless you just suicide charge multiple enemy stacks for some reason. Even so, you can just respawn if you have a herdstone anywhere in the world

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?
I'm fine with the Beastmen being a bit OP when you play as them because it is just a fun refreshing romp where you don't really care about diplomacy or growth or anything and just roll around smashing stuff.

I'm just disappointed that the AI still seems incapable of ever doing anything as the Beastmen. I've never had any real proper Beasty problems in my campaigns, there is sometimes a lone Beast army that stomps around raiding for a bit but they are usually pretty trivial to chase off or destroy.

It would be cool if as the Empire you sometimes got some 'quest battles' where it just sets up some Beastmen vs a little village or a convoy of wagons or something - not armies that are actually on the campaign map. Losing would gently caress up your economy/public order/corruption while winning would have some fun rewards. It'd be cool if the battles were a bit smaller than usual, like just half a dozen Beasty units vs some cavalry patrolling a road, or a swarm of Beasts invading a village defended by peasants + archers with some knights entering slow on reinforcement. Kind of like the Cathay trade routes, which I hope appear in some form with other factions.

It's nice to fight battles that aren't sieges or clickfests with 20 lords and heroes and artillery etc.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I think the carvan mechanics have prooved that the games needs to find a way to have more battles that aren't fully stacked 20 vs 20.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Vagabong posted:

I think the carvan mechanics have prooved that the games needs to find a way to have more battles that aren't fully stacked 20 vs 20.

maybe doing something with a hero, like assaulting an enemy army or damaging a wall, could require you to fight a small battle?

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Echoing others, but I have found the little trade route battles and entire trade route system one of my favorite things in WH3.

Lord at level 19 dies? I’ll take the loss. Caravan master dies? I’m absolutely loading an earlier save.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
I've mentioned this before but they really ought to expand on the caravan mechanic because it was something they really did right in WH3.

Have Ogres Beastmen and Greenskins get a counterpart that involves intercepting caravans.

High Elves can do sea caravans but Dark Elves and Vampire coast has an anti version in their campaigns.

Dwarves can do underway caravans and Greenskins and Skaven can intercept them.

Adds a lot more of those tense little set piece battles giving you interesting rewards and an income source of income.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Total War: Oregon Trail

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Twigand Berries posted:

Yes, inject this directly into my veins

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
You joke but that'd be awesome. TW style battles that follow along historical or WH campaigns without any of the map fuff would be great. Almost all of the fun battles I had playing Cathay were just random armies that attacked my smaller caravans.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

That’s pretty much what that “Ultimate General” franchise is doing, but all the battles are scripted so the replay value is quite a bit lower.

Twigand Berries fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Apr 4, 2022

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

You have lost 3 mortar ox, 1 cannon ox, and one Bonnet of Fate crossing the Missouri

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
So, war sleds are amazing and clearly blow war wagons out of the water. Thing is, war wagons also have no real niche to fill: outriders do skirmish AP better and pistoliers are acceptable light skirmish range. If war wagons had buffed ranged fire, it would largely invalidate the other two units, and their moderate durability doesnt really override their general ranged weakness. War sleds beat this in a few ways: they operate in an environment with much less arcing AP fire and they hit like trucks in melee.

People already use SEMs to screen ranged lines and to let gunpowder troops fire into melee. War wagons have the speed and mass to intercept cavalry flankers and keep them from moving into melee with your ranged lines. Why not lean into that and make them mobile screens for handgunners that don't block handgunner fire? Some durability, maybe a snare effect, maybe an aura of some kind like missile resist when stationary, and they would have a purpose in Empire lines fairly distinct from war sleds without stepping on outrider or pistolier toes.

E: also would love more small-scale fights.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Apr 4, 2022

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I think war wagons would have been better if they'd leant into how they're depicted in the huntsmarshall trailer, a band of terrified but determined soldiers in a wooden cart facing down unspeakable horrors. At long range they shoot more accurately but slower and the closer they get to an enemy the faster they shoot and if they're actually bieng chased they start winging short ranged explosives and brief gatling style bursts at things to represent them starting to panic and throwing everything they have at their pursuer.

They'd then have a more interesting tactical niche where they're a slower but sturdier pistolier that's even more annoying to chase down, but aren't too hard to actually catch if you don't just send a single unit to chase them.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
The difference between war wagons and outriders is basically sustained vs burst dps

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Twigand Berries posted:

Grimgrog has died of dysentery.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Gonkish posted:

Grimgrog has died of dysentery.

That can be Nurgle's gameplay for the wagon mechanic, inflicting diseases on them.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Panfilo posted:

I've mentioned this before but they really ought to expand on the caravan mechanic because it was something they really did right in WH3.

Have Ogres Beastmen and Greenskins get a counterpart that involves intercepting caravans.

High Elves can do sea caravans but Dark Elves and Vampire coast has an anti version in their campaigns.

Dwarves can do underway caravans and Greenskins and Skaven can intercept them.

Adds a lot more of those tense little set piece battles giving you interesting rewards and an income source of income.

They should nerf trade and just give every faction the caravan mechanic while also allowing the end point faction to get some money too. Caravans make trading so much more immersive and fun.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Total Waregon Trail

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Arghy posted:

They should nerf trade and just give every faction the caravan mechanic while also allowing the end point faction to get some money too. Caravans make trading so much more immersive and fun.

As much as I like the mechanic I think they should stay relatively rare and not expanded to everyone. One thing I like is that because they exist on the map, other factions can interact with them: if you want to raid them then by all means you can.

I wouldn't mind a seafaring variant if someone can get a good faction to give them too, just because that gives Vampirates and Dark Elves someone to pirate.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

As much as I like the mechanic I think they should stay relatively rare and not expanded to everyone. One thing I like is that because they exist on the map, other factions can interact with them: if you want to raid them then by all means you can.

I wouldn't mind a seafaring variant if someone can get a good faction to give them too, just because that gives Vampirates and Dark Elves someone to pirate.

Lore wise the dawi and high elves have been sending caravans all over for thousands of years and the empire sends caravans to the tomb kings as well as cathay. The order factions getting it would make sense and like you said it would provide a ton of pillaging variety esp on the bigger IE maps. It'd be cool to see actual trade fleets going to the new world so instead of just empty oceans you'd have a crazy target rich environment and you could have really fun naval themed trade armies to actually use the sea battle maps. Themed caravans would be fun too like dawi to dawi would travel in underway stance and be a thematic build but dawi to human would be a mixed human/dwarf army. Gimme some goddamn slayers armed with pistols and a few units of maneaters with empire bombards. Vampire coast would be super fun to play with a vast naval black market caravan system where you had to build hidden coves before you could send the caravan. Vamp counts could be given some vampire coven buildings to get ready for neferata and you could send undead caravans to those.

When was the last time you played on a sea battle map in TW2?

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Because I'm in a strange mood, I'm actually gonna humor Arghy's idea on more complex ideas on sacking/razing and map out how he can implement it once all the modding tools are out.

The important thing here is we already have ui/ux for targeting specific buildings from the Damage Building hero action AND we already have an abstraction of...effort? power, from the siege equipment interface. Each building (and tier of) gets an amount of effort to sack or raze, with razing being less effort intensive since you're just burning that poo poo to the ground.

Razing is fairly straightforward, it applies ALL of your effort to tier/tear down as many buildings as it can, when a t1 gets depleted, its gone. The main settlement always gets hit last (a t2 main settlement building can't become t1 until all other buildings get brought down to t1, etc). You'd probably want to roughly match it so that a strong stack of same tier as the buildings can tear down a minor settlement an entire tier per turn, maybe a little slower at the front and faster at the back end, whatever, do some spreadsheet math.

Looting is more complex because you actually allocate what buildings you're gonna sack against your manpower/effort rating using the combination of the siege equipment mechanics + damage building targeting. If you're here for the money, you're targeting economy rich targets and generally avoiding military/main targets because they'll be structured to take more manpower/time. Get in, smash up some gold mines, steal some tools, and bounce.

Each of these can be built off the general siege stance when you're besieging a city - so once you've won a settlement battle, if you click raze or sack, you're "staying" in siege as you spend turns clearing out the settlement.

I *think* with some of the dynamic targeting and changes to db setup you could actually setup certain faction specific interactions (orcs kind of universally suck to loot but they raze super quick, skaven are a loving nightmare to raze but pretty quick to loot, etc) that would be more "lore" accurate if you wanted to do that as well. Or do both and split one into a submod for loreheads or whatever. Go nuts.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Ideally you want to remove the garrisons from minor settlements so you could remove the need to build siege equipment until the province army chooses to defend. This way you wouldn't need to worry about building siege equipment because it'd basically be an ability but then there would be trouble deciding what to do when the province army wants to defend now but that could be a decision that has to be made first so if/then: province army defends then normal siege map, province army declines then not a siege open the raze/sack UI.

The AI could be made to handle the province army pretty easy too because it could just go by auto resolve, does it think it could defeat the attacking army: yes then fight, no then hold to defend the major settlement.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
What if they removed garrisons and settlement battles entirely and an army has a radius of control meaning that in order to capture any settlements within that army's zone of control you'd have to first defeat it in battle? But once defeated you could just waltz into any settlement unchallenged. I can almost picture how you could make that mod fairly easily. You can't move through an army's zone of control without attacking it. You could tweak the current zone of control size to be much bigger. The main place this would run into issues are places like mountain passes where movement is massively reduced so in theory you could park an army there and no other army would have the movement points to reach it.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Patch 1.1 is tomorrow. This one will have changes to the Realms of Chaos, not just bug fixes, right? Anyway, probably don't want to start new campaigns tonight.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I think the thing I'd like most for caravans is a way to really interact with them as someone not with them. Have the Caravan sell items if you approach it, or you can sell your troops to it as mercenaries, the only thing you can do is attack them, which is really unsatisfying.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Onmi posted:

I think the thing I'd like most for caravans is a way to really interact with them as someone not with them. Have the Caravan sell items if you approach it, or you can sell your troops to it as mercenaries, the only thing you can do is attack them, which is really unsatisfying.
Buying items from them is a pretty cool idea!

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
ooooo being able to buy faction exclusive items from caravans would be pretty sick. would love me some dawi gear

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Onmi posted:

I really hope this is DLC fodder because I need it in my life.

edit: or because of the outpost mechanic already letting us have foreign troops in our armies, have swapping units with the caravan be a thing. Oh the caravan has x unit and I could pay to add it to my army, or trade one of my current units to recruit it? Helllll yeeee

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

It'd be a great way to get rid of the tier 1 gold chevroned units, just sell em to passing caravans. I have a feeling that TW3 modding will surpass the game itself because you'd have such freedom and the giant map with all the different factions.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Id like to sell you for 1 gold to a passing caravan, Arghy

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

Id like to sell you for 1 gold to a passing caravan, Arghy

It's going in the book, my book of TW3 suggestions.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Dr Christmas posted:

Patch 1.1 is tomorrow. This one will have changes to the Realms of Chaos, not just bug fixes, right? Anyway, probably don't want to start new campaigns tonight.

Yeah, this is the one with the changes to the campaign. We should get patch notes alongside the patch tomorrow.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

hemale in pain posted:

maybe doing something with a hero, like assaulting an enemy army or damaging a wall, could require you to fight a small battle?
I'd like some kind of ambush mechanic where percentage of not getting spotted or something is higher the smaller your army is, alongside roaming smaller armies on the world map.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I'd like some sort of nude mod, which made all the units fully nude, with no clothes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Collapsing Farts posted:

I'd like some sort of nude mod, which made all the units fully nude, with no clothes

Waiting for the Slaanesh "Free the nip" mod