Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
*Tim "The Toolman" Taylor noise:. "Hurrrrr????"

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

My wife, who I chose to marry and hopefully spend the rest of my life wants to talk to me often. Fuckin women!

I think you need to look at the thread title

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I think you misspelled "fucken"?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I do have to wonder just how many of these "Take my wife... please" types are actually just closeted gay guys who only got married due to societal expectations, because they don't actually seem to enjoy the company of women at all and definitely seem like they'd be happier sharing their lives with another moustachioed dude.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I do have to wonder just how many of these "Take my wife... please" types are actually just closeted gay guys who only got married due to societal expectations, because they don't actually seem to enjoy the company of women at all and definitely seem like they'd be happier sharing their lives with another moustachioed dude.

doesn't have a drat thing to do with their sexual preferences and everything to do with them just being miserable old cranks

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They aren’t gay (I mean, statistically speaking, some are, but), they just want a wife who doesn’t speak unless spoken to

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

They aren’t gay (I mean, statistically speaking, some are, but), they just want a wife who doesn’t speak unless spoken to

which what dude would want to put up with that toxic poo poo?

Someone try to treat me like that I'm feeding them the blunt end of a fist.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Ding ding

cursedshitbox posted:

which what dude would want to put up with that toxic poo poo?

Someone try to treat me like that I'm feeding them the blunt end of a fist.

:rolleyes: calm down sugar I can see your brain overheating already

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011
I don’t know if this will load, but I’m a member of the adv rider group on Facebook and well:

Uploaded to Imgur instead:

https://imgur.com/a/rS7rq84

Alamoduh fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 16, 2022

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Here's the direct pic:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Only two "lol" reactions?

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Only two "lol" reactions?

Anyone else who might've considered it funny saw a bunch of words and thought "too much effort."

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If those boomers could read they’d be very upset

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Got myself involved in an ADVing the other day sadly. Someone posted a pic of one of my bikes in the "girl on old bike" thread. Was at a car show where I won an award and they did pro photos with a couple models leaning on the bike.

quote:

What's the BMW part number for one of those pillion accessories?

Mine* is old and worn out now, and I could do with a replacement like one of those.

Not entirely sure what the gist of the joke is here, but I assume it's misogynistic

quote:

Keep in mind, the cheapest part on any BMW is the owner/rider. Given that you may have very limited funding to pay those desirable pillion accessories.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I married my wife for her looks but now she's old

and

I can't imagine pretty girls liking me for any reason except money, this must be true for everyone

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Got myself involved in an ADVing the other day sadly. Someone posted a pic of one of my bikes in the "girl on old bike" thread. Was at a car show where I won an award and they did pro photos with a couple models leaning on the bike.

Not entirely sure what the gist of the joke is here, but I assume it's misogynistic

I know I’m a glutton for punishment on that site but going into that thread is a level up

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
All right I know this is problematic to be defending that thread on that site but legitimately there are interesting photos posted in there sometimes. I've learned of strange people I'd never heard of before, such as Aloha Wanderwell recently.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

All right I know this is problematic to be defending that thread on that site but legitimately there are interesting photos posted in there sometimes. I've learned of strange people I'd never heard of before, such as Aloha Wanderwell recently.

Yeah that’s true, I remember finding out about some badass lady adventurers from back in the day from that thread. It’s just the posts from leering old dudes that are obnoxious.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
They cleaned it up a bit recently, it’s much more actual old photos of old bikes with women on them. This offended many posters. It cut them to the core of their being, and they posted the way they must have when Obama was elected. Vowing to leave because this is not the forum/country they were born in. Some day God will prove them right that Obama wasn’t born in Hawaii and also they should be able to post pics of a hooters waitress sitting on a 97 Dyna for a photo at bike week.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Like a lady’s hoo ha! Get it guys?!?!?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

And if all the information presented in that image somehow isn't enough to tell exactly what kind of guy he is, the three nylocks plus one totally different nut really gives it away.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Slavvy posted:

And if all the information presented in that image somehow isn't enough to tell exactly what kind of guy he is, the three nylocks plus one totally different nut really gives it away.

It just gets worse the longer you look at it. Truely

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

quote:

Ok help me out here folks, twice I've lusted after some sweet naked rides only to be let down after a demo.

I currently ride a sweet '07 GSA with an Akropovic can and TRX suspension front and rear. Just love it to bits, but want to add a little zing to the stable as a second bike (gently used, I never buy new).

This past summer I rode:
Kawasaki ZRX1200
Ducati Monster S4RS

Both of these bikes I researched and read up extensively - I was so pumped to ride these classics. Cash in hand off I went to some prime specimens. After 5 mins on each, I turned around and brought it back to the owner. Why? Riding position for one. I don't have endless curves around me, closest thing to that are the on-off ramps to the freeway. Needlesstosay that comfort is rather critical. Not sofa comfort, but my wrists need to maintain feeling and not go numb after 15 mins.

In both cases, that 17" front wheel seemed downright scary at first. It was like the bikes read my mind when I wanted to initiate a turn, which was really weird. Just not used to how responsive that geometry is.

I was downright depressed after riding the Ducati. What a gorgeous machine.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

How devastatingly old and useless do you have to be to think a zrx, the closest thing to a two wheeled diesel locomotive, has a sporty riding position or nervous handling?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Slavvy posted:

How devastatingly old and useless do you have to be to think a zrx, the closest thing to a two wheeled diesel locomotive, has a sporty riding position or nervous handling?

This is your brain on BMWs

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Oh hey I can answer that maybe. Or at least one element of it.

Two years ago I started planning on getting new bars because I thought the angle I had to hold my wrists at on the rex was making them hurt. Last year I made a conscious effort to support my body weight from my core instead of my hands, and mirabile fuckin dictu, my wrists didn't hurt, even after a day in the saddle. Turns out the riding position on my last three bikes - two dualsports and a Weestrom - let me get away with leaving my core all floppy, without punishing me with wrist pain.

Guessing the same happened to this jamoke.

I never thought it had nervous handling, though.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

lol @ the idea that anything smaller than a 21” dual sport rim/tire being “scary”

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Phy posted:

Oh hey I can answer that maybe. Or at least one element of it.

Two years ago I started planning on getting new bars because I thought the angle I had to hold my wrists at on the rex was making them hurt. Last year I made a conscious effort to support my body weight from my core instead of my hands, and mirabile fuckin dictu, my wrists didn't hurt, even after a day in the saddle. Turns out the riding position on my last three bikes - two dualsports and a Weestrom - let me get away with leaving my core all floppy, without punishing me with wrist pain.

Guessing the same happened to this jamoke.

I never thought it had nervous handling, though.

Yeah it's this.

Every time some old fart bangs on about how comfortable bmw's are it's almost always because they're used to office chair seating positions that let you slouch like a sack of flour and not use your legs or core at all.

Highly recommend you try a bike with a 21" front wheel and you'll discovery how incredibly zippy your 220kg bike really is.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

actually i would love that guys review of a sumo bike with a 17” rim and tire. my take is he would be seriously confused

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Even more broke brain is that a GSA runs a 19" front, not a 21".

They're also such numb loving bikes in that they just iron out whatever the terrain is transmitting into them. It uses literal iron to do this.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I love that he absolutely nailed what people love about sporty bikes and that’s the thing he hated

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

i guess we will never know but i get weirded out if i ride a street bike with the 65 series profile tire in the front. feels like it takes a lot of effort to get the bike to turn.

vs. the 70 series profile fronts that are more triangular shaped. those take a gentle push of the bars to get the bike leaned over. feels real good after having ridden them so much

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

Not that I'm supporting that guys opinion, but if you live somewhere where your most significant curves are the highway off ramps, then you will definitely notice the handling and ergos of a sportier bike.

I moved from a coastal area to the prairie a few years ago. I didn't bring my bike, because I'd been spoiled with tight twisty roads and those just don't exist here. ~3 years ago I bought a husky 701 SM. When I take it back home to the coast on vacation, it's untouchable in the twisties. Out here, it's not super comfortable for long distances where you're not constantly moving yourself around the bike to cut through curves.

Last summer I added an F800GS to the stable because it's more comfortable/practical for the type of riding out here.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Sometimes people on ADVRider start the most banal threads.

Pinlock visors and Gortex jackets

quote:

Been riding for many years and have known about pinlock visors, most of my helmets came with one, known about Gortex jackets for just as long, now call me stubborn but never fitted the pinlock thought just a gimmick, well kick me up the arse for being so stupid. Mate convinced me to try it and went for a ride yesterday, fog mist and torrential rain, clear vision and no fogging, previously I would have been lifting the visor to try and clear the misting constantly, can't believe it's taken mẹ this long. As for the Gortex jacket torrential rain and not a drop inside

Reasonable Road Speed

quote:

How fast do you ride?
I’m generally over the limit as I ride just above the flow of traffic, safely of course constantly scanning, slowing at intersections etc.
I’m not promoting shenanigans or excessive speed just curious if my daily commute is occurring too fast as I had a coworker tell me I ride like a maniac, which has me thinking do I ride too fast?
Many variables road conditions, traffic density but what do you consider reasonable speeds?

21" front vs 19"

quote:

It's amazing how much bigger 21" is.. makes all the difference!

Do cagers really HATE us that much?

quote:

Happened to read an article this morning (on an automotive website) about "Arizona and Virginia may legalize lane-filtering..."

"Well, here's hoping," thought I, then noticed there were 80-odd comments. I started to read a few comments (should have known better).

The comments were all from cagers (not surprisingly, I guess), and what struck me was the bitter HATRED they expressed towards motorcyclists! After reading a half-dozen, I was done. Like I said, shoulda known better.

I suppose in the current cultural climate of "every group hates every other group" I shouldn't have been surprised. But it sure didn't give me much hope that "we could all just get along"...

--Doc

Can I really take my GS off-road?!

quote:

I have a 2007 R 1200 GS…can I really take it off-road? I feel comfortable on the street but it still seems weird to take a big bike off-road.

Rain and riding

quote:

When riding in moderate to light rain if you must what to you guys do to improve visibility, RainX on shields or?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

When riding in moderate to light rain if you must (like a peasant)

How do these people find their dick in the morning?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Honestly, the lack of racism, transphobia, gay bashing or generalized misogyny in those posts is refreshing.

Yeah they’re dumb, basic questions, but they are far from the worst that ADVRider has to offer.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's just raw distilled inanity. Like a water cooler filled with water cooler chat. I have met so many of these fucks irl and they are all exactly the same - they can't ride for poo poo, they spend money on idiotic garbage, they're racist and sexist as gently caress, but also they're all somehow desperate for validation.

The other day I had a guy just like this with a guzzi give me a pair of brand new genuine brake and clutch MC's, complete with levers, still in the box. Then he pulls out a pair of those horrendous $20 AliExpress levers - I got to watch a fifty year old man hold back tears because I told him they were garbage, he'd wasted his money and there's no way I'm fitting them to brand new MC's that have factory levers already attached. He just couldn't accept that the internet lied to him.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Yeah I chose those to take a step away from the terrible poo poo I inflict upon myself by looking for content for this thread.

Right now there is a discussion thread about Itchy Boots and every other post is tut-tutting her for taking too many risks and eating street food in South America and travelling alone and gawd is it tedious. At least only a couple have mentioned her appearance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Yeah I chose those to take a step away from the terrible poo poo I inflict upon myself by looking for content for this thread.

That’s fair, gotta cleanse the palate