Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

the guy using the shield up there never even ended up having to use barricade

Huh, I had a look and that's fair, but that was some absolute devilry juking her tracking like that for phases 2 and 3 afterwards on a video that says 'this took me over 20 hours'. Anyway, I'm not saying it's literally impossible, just miserable and opressive to play in a way I've never found the other superbosses to be. I will not be taking any more comments at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Launch DS1 is rough. Soul drops are like half the usual, it’s like playing in famine mode

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

redreader posted:

What are the int/str weapons to go for? I have 40 str and someone recommended getting up to 20 int/dex. I have 18 int but no weapons seem to need it really. What weapons should I try to get? Using the giant smasher 2-handed with the jumping cape, jumping-, charge- and roar-buffing talismans, with 'war cry' on. The actual warcry charged r2 does about 3x-4x the best damage I was able to get, before. The jump attacks even with the jump cape and talisman are definitely left in the dirt by comparison, but some bosses need the jump attacks because they're too fast for the charged r2. The charged r2 MELTS some bosses though. Went back to Caelid and did Sellia. Took about 3/4 of one of the sellia boss' bars off in one hit, it was ridiculous.

Also found the ? gelmir? hero's dungeon and turned back when I saw lava + chariot. No thanks!

Fallingstar Beast Jaw. It's Weapon Art does insane stance damage and its very hard for enemies to avoid it.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

Cowcaster posted:

i'd also like to point out that both of these videos are less than 6 minutes long addressing a different conversation that i don't think anyone here was arguing but i've definitely heard elsewhere that boss fights are all grueling 20 minute endurance fests

That's. . . that's not true. Boss fights would only be that long if the player is intentionally not using the tools the game gives to the player. 6 minutes is quite long.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

20 hours at souls level 1. Probably died on one hit

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

you can't close comments because then i can't say "yeah it took him 20 hours but he's also fighting her at soul level 1 too"

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

euphronius posted:

20 hours at souls level 1. Probably died on one hit

you can't say the thing i was going to say because the comments were closed

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

That's. . . that's not true. Boss fights would only be that long if the player is intentionally not using the tools the game gives to the player. 6 minutes is quite long.

To be fair if you aren’t doing the more gimmick things I can see the Godskin Duo taking that long, no one else

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

skasion posted:

Launch DS1 is rough. Soul drops are like half the usual, it’s like playing in famine mode

there’s a part of me that kinda wishes I’d been there for 1.0 Lost Izalith

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the secret boss of Kingdom Hearts 3 took me several times longer to beat than the secret boss of Elden Ring, perhaps now we know which franchise is for the real gamers

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I couldn't work out how to summon ashes for ages and now I just stubbornly haven't used them once in my 100 hour playtime.

I'm willing to try different weapons and mix up my build if necessary but if I've come this far without a jellyfish friend I can carry on without one. :colbert:

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Harrow posted:

Yeah the holes in my idea are that they also appear elsewhere, and that the other main deathblight creatures (basilisks) also do. Like there's an absolute shitload of basilisks in Deeproot Depths, which makes sense because it's the roots of the Erdtree and right next to Godwyn's corpse, but they also appear in places totally unrelated to that. At least with basilisks I can handwave it as just being really loving funny that they appear in the Lake of Rot and so that's why they're there.

Could the wormfaces be the result of Death Rune corruption? They show up in the forest above the corpse of Godwyn, killed by knives infused with the Rune of Death and on Farum Azula where Malekith is hiding the Rune itself. Perhaps they are corrupted Dragonkin, they look like smaller versions of the Dragonkin Soldier bosses to me - but those bosses are long rotten corpses and the Wormfaces have messed up heads of course.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

you can't say the thing i was going to say because the comments were closed

I just don't wanna be the main character for several pages okay, I usually really like these fights and absolutely hated this one and wanted to put down why without having people jumping down my throat about weapon arts I don't have or combos of blocking and juking her insanely janky tracking

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

No Dignity posted:

I just don't wanna be the main character for several pages okay, I usually really like these fights and absolutely hated this one and wanted to put down why without having people jumping down my throat about weapon arts I don't have or combos of blocking and juking her insanely janky tracking

yeah i get that.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
One aspect of ER's boss design that really needs to gently caress off is phase two immediately starting with a lethal combo that requires obnoxiously precise timing. Hoarah Loux is the worst offender but Malenia's is very bad as well and those are just the first two that come to mind. I'm sure there were others.

What really adds insult to injury is the frantic pace of phase one suddenly slams on the brakes for the boss to do some stupid protracted magical girl anime transformation sequence while your character stands there picking their nose. Then you get control back and you don't even get a chance to take a sip before there's some 100000000000 damage bullshit headed straight for your face (freezing ten inches from your face for exactly 0.873 seconds to catch one and a half panic rolls, obviously)

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'm at the capital, so far:

Went to the empty Roundtable Hold? I did a Volcano Manor quest there killing two npcs helping Bernahl. I wandered around and found a big gargoyle and roots, went to a closed coliseum and, are these roots the way to finish the game?

Can I explore the capital without fear of doing anything that locks me out of the rest of the game?

I'm still doing Ranni's quest, Volcano Manor stuff, invaded and killed Varre, finishing his quest. Yura died at Atlus and I killed Eleonora. Fia killed D (I guess?) and that's for another ending, right? Is there anything I really shouldn't do in the capital since I want to fully explore the world before beating it? This very first character will go for a 100% all bosses/dungeons and all I can loot while next ones will be much more focused.

I have to explore quite a lot of the underground zones still, should I go there before being done with the capital?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the capital isn’t a point of no return, poke around at your leisure

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Sapozhnik posted:

One aspect of ER's boss design that really needs to gently caress off is phase two immediately starting with a lethal combo that requires obnoxiously precise timing. Hoarah Loux is the worst offender but Malenia's is very bad as well and those are just the first two that come to mind. I'm sure there were others.

both those bosses start their second phases by doing a big powerful attack with a long wind-up

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Guillermus posted:

Can I explore the capital without fear of doing anything that locks me out of the rest of the game?

Yeah, don't worry. I was tiptoeing around that place terrified of triggering some story progressing/ending stuff but there's nothing like that.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

The Anime Liker posted:

NG+

Wearing Veterans Armor so I have like 80 poise

The loving imps in weeping peninsula catacombs are still able to do running attacks that literally slide me flat-footed across the ground and trigger a stagger.

God I hate these little shits.

Started a fresh ng after beating the game. Wondered how long I could go without dying (aside from tutorial boss). Very first catacomb I go into the first imp I see does the running attack. Instant multi-hit stagger, bleed, dead. lmao

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

AngryBooch posted:

Could the wormfaces be the result of Death Rune corruption? They show up in the forest above the corpse of Godwyn, killed by knives infused with the Rune of Death and on Farum Azula where Malekith is hiding the Rune itself. Perhaps they are corrupted Dragonkin, they look like smaller versions of the Dragonkin Soldier bosses to me - but those bosses are long rotten corpses and the Wormfaces have messed up heads of course.

Apparently, theres actually a mass of corrupted roots and one of Godwyns eyes in Farum Azula in the rotunda behind where Benarhl invades you. So that would line up with the wormfaces being in the area as well, if his influence was spread to that place. gently caress knows how the hell that got there.

Edit: Actually I guess we did give Maliketh a shitload of deathroots that are grown out of Godwyns corpse right before he goes to Farum Azula. Lol, whoops?

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 4, 2022

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Augus posted:

both those bosses start their second phases by doing a big powerful attack with a long wind-up

and Malenia’s has such a long recovery time that you can do appreciable damage to her with a bow

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

dodgeblan posted:

I mean people don't seem to be slaves any more than any human is a slave to their nation, government, clan or religion. Seems like a pretty normal human hierarchy level of slavery to me.

The rune of death ending is you turning the fantasy world into the normal world.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

the capital isn’t a point of no return, poke around at your leisure

stev posted:

Yeah, don't worry. I was tiptoeing around that place terrified of triggering some story progressing/ending stuff but there's nothing like that.

Nice thanks! I already know that it isn't the last part of the game but I'm worried that I'd miss an optional zone as I'm doing all quests and stuff possible.

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019

Sapozhnik posted:

I kinda want to try Dark Souls 1.0, like, the version that shipped on the physical DVD, in a PS3 emulator at some point because the meta and balance and such was pretty crazy on release apparently

Like that video about Iron Flesh being completely OP for instance

I think the most common experience at launch was playing through 90% of the game with the lightning spear you get in Sen's Fortress because the upgrade system was completely impenetrable

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

dodgeblan posted:

I think the most common experience at launch was playing through 90% of the game with the lightning spear you get in Sen's Fortress because the upgrade system was completely impenetrable

It's possible to play Dark Souls 1.0 on PS3 with CFW (or the original disk version) but at this point, I think a beefy PC and an emulator will run it better than a PS3.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I think Loux barely gives you enough time to chug before you have to dodge backwards. Malenia is weird though, she kinda floats and then accelerates and does an instant divebomb and I think the tracking breaks in the acceleration phase so you can also kind of start to run and then dodge backwards, but the tell for the dodge timing is still a bit fuzzy. Of the many co-op attempts I've done against her 50% eat poo poo to a Waterfowl Dance, 40% eat poo poo to the phase 2 opening powerbomb and 10% eat poo poo to something else.

Imagine finally raggedly fighting tooth and nail to get to phase 2 for the first time ever only to get immediately exploded lmao. What an incredible gently caress you. Malenia phase 1 is a fine and engaging fight on its own and it doesn't have those giant stupid wings blocking the view of what I'm supposed to be dodging either. Just in general not every boss fight needs a phase 2. Gwyn didn't have a Phase 2 and nobody complains about him being a dull final boss.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Guillermus posted:

Nice thanks! I already know that it isn't the last part of the game but I'm worried that I'd miss an optional zone as I'm doing all quests and stuff possible.

AFAIK there’s only two ways to “miss” content in a playthrough: killing NPCs and beating the boss of the last story required zone in the game. It’s surprisingly generous in that respect.

On a different note: anybody have any recommended first time playthrough/LPs? I really like watching people react to these games on their first playthrough.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Oxxidation posted:

and Malenia’s has such a long recovery time that you can do appreciable damage to her with a bow
also both can be avoided without actually rolling, so no need for timing at all-malenia's you can sprint under her and it whiffs, hoarah you can sprint around his side and it whiffs for a huge opening.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lord_Magmar posted:

To be frank the specific situation with the Great Caravan was that they were imprisoned for worshipping the Flame of Frenzy in particular, at which point they proceeded to summon the Flame of Frenzy to try and escape their imprisonment. Also all the unimprisoned merchants still use frenzy attacks, so like, possibly Marika was right about them worshipping the Flame of Frenzy that wants to revert all life everywhere to primordial chaos (but still an rear end in a top hat for the imprisonment thing).

Frankly I think the Greater Will doesn't exert that much influence over Marika (in fact that's sort of implied to be part of the Perfect Order's fix). Hence her scheming and ultimately shattering the Elden Ring.

The lore states Marika was born outside the lands between, and conquered it on behalf of the greater will. Probably because the Dragon God hosed off for some reason, and then the dragons just decided to basically hibernate till he came back. Maybe the shattering was another power play, trying to gain power with being subservient.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

pre shattering Lands Between seems like a really lovely place anyway

- like 5 different slave races (omens, trolls, misbegotten, demi humans, albinaurics) who get massacred and tortured at will
- omens just seem to be born randomly like a birth defect, and all those babies either get their horns chopped off and die, or horns chopped off and used as slave soldiers, or if they're royal they get locked in the sewers forever
- a noble family exclusively of executioners (the marais at shady castle)
- awful body horror fates tied to basically any kind of study or pursuit. get too into dragon stuff, become a magma wyrm. get too into sorcery, turn to stone and crystal. study the erdtree and become a t-posing zombie
- psycho sorcerers making balls out of each others heads
- roaming torture machines
- undying people crucified forever
- best case scenario for the end of your life is you get glued to the erdtree and sucked into it. even then giant ants might just loving dig you up and eat you anyway
- endless imperial war on behalf of the erdtree

shabriri did nothing wrong

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Turtle Sandbox posted:

The lore states Marika was born outside the lands between, and conquered it on behalf of the greater will. Probably because the Dragon God hosed off for some reason, and then the dragons just decided to basically hibernate till he came back. Maybe the shattering was another power play, trying to gain power with being subservient.

part of the lore is that when the erdtree first arrived it reshaped everything in the primal crucible, implying stuff had different forms and properties before then. so i wonder if people and things from outside the lands between are less enthralled to the erdtree and maybe are more able to hurt it effectively.

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019

Sapozhnik posted:

I think Loux barely gives you enough time to chug before you have to dodge backwards. Malenia is weird though, she kinda floats and then accelerates and does an instant divebomb and I think the tracking breaks in the acceleration phase so you can also kind of start to run and then dodge backwards, but the tell for the dodge timing is still a bit fuzzy. Of the many co-op attempts I've done against her 50% eat poo poo to a Waterfowl Dance, 40% eat poo poo to the phase 2 opening powerbomb and 10% eat poo poo to something else.

Imagine finally raggedly fighting tooth and nail to get to phase 2 for the first time ever only to get immediately exploded lmao. What an incredible gently caress you. Malenia phase 1 is a fine and engaging fight on its own and it doesn't have those giant stupid wings blocking the view of what I'm supposed to be dodging either. Just in general not every boss fight needs a phase 2. Gwyn didn't have a Phase 2 and nobody complains about him being a dull final boss.

This is probably my only other complaint with the game

there's a ton of fights where the second phase is the OKAY SERIOUS mode. While the first time you get to the transition to phase two it's a really cool dramatic moment, when you're bad and you spend like an hour on every hard boss you inevitably get to the point where the first phase is just kind of pointless. I feel like they really liked this on the final boss of Sekiro and went wayyyy overboard on it. When your're stuck on Margit the first phase gets pretty easy, and then the second phase is the part you actually have to concentrate on. Godskin nobles are kind of weak in the first phase because they don't really have any of their super threatening moves. Renalla is the worst offender. Second phase is cool when it's a change of pace but not every boss needs to go supersaiyan.

I don't think this really applies to the final boss, because both phases are hard in different ways. But when phase 2 is a straight upgrade on phase 1 it's not it chief

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

dodgeblan posted:

This is probably my only other complaint with the game

there's a ton of fights where the second phase is the OKAY SERIOUS mode. While the first time you get to the transition to phase two it's a really cool dramatic moment, when you're bad and you spend like an hour on every hard boss you inevitably get to the point where the first phase is just kind of pointless. I feel like they really liked this on the final boss of Sekiro and went wayyyy overboard on it. When your're stuck on Margit the first phase gets pretty easy, and then the second phase is the part you actually have to concentrate on. Godskin nobles are kind of weak in the first phase because they don't really have any of their super threatening moves. Renalla is the worst offender. Second phase is cool when it's a change of pace but not every boss needs to go supersaiyan.

I don't think this really applies to the final boss, because both phases are hard in different ways. But when phase 2 is a straight upgrade on phase 1 it's not it chief

I liked Ludwig's phase 2 in Bloodborne where really it was a fair bit easier than his hellish first form but still would probably get you a few times before you got him, so you got the drama of his incredible phase transition without having the climb two entirely different get good mountains for one fight

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I keep seeing first time players list out their build off a wiki with real names and meanwhile I’m like, I use a great shield and a katana and sometimes a rapier. You can’t stop me. I put crappy 12 fth magic in my offhand also

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Orb

https://twitter.com/king_bore_haha/status/1511070517372985344?t=WYKsZu3GM4o35tN8rjWu-Q&s=19

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019

juggalo baby coffin posted:

pre shattering Lands Between seems like a really lovely place anyway

- like 5 different slave races (omens, trolls, misbegotten, demi humans, albinaurics) who get massacred and tortured at will
- omens just seem to be born randomly like a birth defect, and all those babies either get their horns chopped off and die, or horns chopped off and used as slave soldiers, or if they're royal they get locked in the sewers forever
- a noble family exclusively of executioners (the marais at shady castle)
- awful body horror fates tied to basically any kind of study or pursuit. get too into dragon stuff, become a magma wyrm. get too into sorcery, turn to stone and crystal. study the erdtree and become a t-posing zombie
- psycho sorcerers making balls out of each others heads
- roaming torture machines
- undying people crucified forever
- best case scenario for the end of your life is you get glued to the erdtree and sucked into it. even then giant ants might just loving dig you up and eat you anyway
- endless imperial war on behalf of the erdtree

shabriri did nothing wrong

on the other hand

-turtle popes
-jars that need to be petted
-a big tree night light that you can't turn off
-being a magma wyrm sounds pretty cool actually
-the capital looks like a nice place to live
-big gently caress off statues everywhere
-ummmm.... that's all i got

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Endgame poo poo but god drat

https://twitter.com/SunhiLegend/status/1511076051467780105?t=yht8q2JcfW1wQqZOd6zdTw&s=19

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

dodgeblan posted:

on the other hand

-turtle popes
-jars that need to be petted
-a big tree night light that you can't turn off
-being a magma wyrm sounds pretty cool actually
-the capital looks like a nice place to live
-big gently caress off statues everywhere
-ummmm.... that's all i got

-your boss rides a pony that is smaller than his left foot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
-oh yeah and sometimes the tree drops it's magic pollen on you which I assume feels like a massive dose of a cosmic hallucinogen

It seemed like this had some sort of positive effect in game but I never worked out what it was