Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Stand Still. Stay Silent

A translation provided in the comments:
"Kuutar gracious,

Heaven's daughter,

Hark the call of one who's faithful,
lamentations full of anguish,
Plea of succour from lands foreign,
Far from wooded wilds of homeland.

Cast about me shining silver,
white light to now stand beside me
so death won't cast me to mire,
shan't be drawn to grave by Hiisi.

Let now ungrieved be my sorrows,
Still unknown the halls of Tuoni."

Kuutar is the goddess of the moon. Tuoni is the god of the underworld. Hiisi is a term that's used in Finnish folklore that seems to refer to various types of fantastical creatures. In this case Lalli seems to be using it as a catch-all term for the creatures that plague the silent world

Finally, magic! Maybe. And intercoms, definitely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I like how the cats seem to look disapprovingly at Lali for coming in late.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
"Looking disapprovingly at things" is the natural state of Cat.

Lurk Ethic
Jul 25, 2007

Lurk More

quote:

:justpost:

Thanks all! I'll stay the course, then. I like the ritual of posting and participating. :)

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Apocalypse Johto Part 1: Silver Lining
Chapter 10: Flash Frozen

RIP Flashpoint, we hardly knew ye (because you died six pages after you were introduced).

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
You know, Apocalypse Johto is growing on me. It’s got some good faces

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:
I feel stupid for asking but... Why does the number of brain chips double each week?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Fagtastic posted:

I feel stupid for asking but... Why does the number of brain chips double each week?

The scientist lady Vera offhandedly described that behavior at the very beginning. "Every week the chip will connect to a new universe and a new version of you" -- meaning that every Ulf will split into two perspectives every 7 days. Installing the chip split him in two, a week later she was running some tests as he split into four, and now another week has passed and we're not even watching the splits happen every time anymore.

Unclear whether she'd developed it that way on purpose as part of the experiment, or it's some natural consequence of how it works -- since we're told that the chip works that way in the very first strip, you can take it basically as the core premise of the story.

Ditocoaf has a new favorite as of 22:00 on Apr 4, 2022

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:

Ditocoaf posted:

The scientist lady Vera offhandedly described that behavior at the very beginning. "Every week the chip will connect to a new universe and a new version of you" -- meaning that every Ulf will split into two perspectives every 7 days. Installing the chip split him in two, a week later she was running some tests as he split into four, and now another week has passed and we're not even watching the splits happen every time anymore.

Unclear whether she'd developed it that way on purpose as part of the experiment, or it's some natural consequence of how it works -- since we're told that the chip works that way in the very first strip, you can take it basically as the core premise of the story.

Fair enough. It does it because that's going to be incredible fuel for farce, good enough for me

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Fagtastic posted:

Fair enough. It does it because that's going to be incredible fuel for farce, good enough for me
Oh, yeah, you're in for a treat.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Mareep :smith:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Posters said that Lalli is their least favourite character but he's clearly the best so far

Blog Free or Die
Apr 30, 2005

FOR THE MOTHERLAND
Everyone posting comics in this thread is doing the lord's work keep it up

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

eating only apples posted:

Posters said that Lalli is their least favourite character but he's clearly the best so far

It's like saying Harold is the best character in The Stand because he's really well-developed* so far.

*not as a person

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I just found out I have astigmatism in both eyes, which explains why I need the text and images in my comic so huge, I might do a resize after I get my new glasses.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Ranking of Kings

End of Chapter 3

Look at how big they made his hand compared to the manga, lol.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Blog Free or Die posted:

Everyone posting comics in this thread is doing the lord's work keep it up

i would play that campaign

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Ten Earth Shattering Blows

Another new character shows up, this time to lend the protagonists a crotch.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I would not have guessed a fighting style that includes me forcefully bashing my crotch into something would be reasonable, but I'm not a trained fighter so what do I know

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
this may be a primitive desert hellscape but their jock strap technology is out of this world

Lurk Ethic
Jul 25, 2007

Lurk More
The Property of Hate

TV man has a cousin that is Radio man :3 I wonder if the concept of media has a larger theme.

You'll see more of radio head later on.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Captain Hygiene posted:

I would not have guessed a fighting style that includes me forcefully bashing my crotch into something would be reasonable, but I'm not a trained fighter so what do I know

One of the author comments for 10ESB calls this "reverse fanservice"

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

realised what's bugging me about the character design in TESB

https://twitter.com/Pizza_Suplex/status/850379783515013121

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

last time: missing owl was actually safe all along

and that's it, really. that's the final owl comic before the artist stopped - they never did find the final missing owl. from memory of the little blogposts that came with each comic the author'd been not having a great time with seasonal depression, and i guess just never picked up the owls again.

so yeah, that was opus otus by myrntai. owls galore.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
It’s too bad about the owl comic. I really liked that zero stakes adventure. I hope the author is doing okay.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

if i can give one criticism? it could've used more owls

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

PringleCreamEgg posted:

zero stakes adventure

I like this genre.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Captain Hygiene posted:

In MMA they call this "ground game"

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Tree Bucket posted:

I like this genre.

Same, its a nice little trip with friends and very low stakes peril.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

PringleCreamEgg posted:

It’s too bad about the owl comic. I really liked that zero stakes adventure. I hope the author is doing okay.

Agreed. Thanks for posting it, Inexplicable Humblebrag!

Meanwhile, somewhere further away from zero stakes adventures,
Stand Still. Stay Silent

Fasten your seatbelts, kids

"Dalahästen" means "The Dala Horse"

Seems that spell didn't last long

Sweet dreams~

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I like that there's an implicit story in between the news articles when the second one is eight years later and basically "yeah we learned the hard way it was a mistake to have a train without a giant buzzsaw on the front"

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Well I'm stealing that thing to use in a campaign.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Transdimensional Brain Chip

25. What the gently caress?

26. Mad at you

27. Movies

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I can't believe this is working out

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

In Which Everybody is Just a Real rear end in a top hat to Rice Boy

I'm not glad we met Gerund, I think he sucks. But Rice Boy likes him, so now I'm being an rear end in a top hat too!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I can't believe this is working out
Well, wouldn't you want to go see Car Trunk Hell Gate if it turns out that Lethal Conundrum sucked?

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Kit Walker posted:

Stand Still. Stay Silent

I have to say this comic is really growing on me.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I love the slow build and the worldbuilding. I half hope we never actually see a monster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I read through SSSS already, couldn't wait for the updates. And holy moly it's a long comic. It's completed though.

Now I gotta say though, the end left me feeling a bit disappointed. The stories were super long, but in terms of story not a lot got done, our heroes did not change the world they lived in one bit when it was done. There was so much to this world I was wondering over that just never got answered though.

-What was the disease really, where did it come from? Was it engineered? Was it supernatural?

-When that first monster got half obliterated, parts of it that remained in the train, like a human skull started acting human and going all "help help", I really thought that would lead somewhere big. It did explore it a little but not in a way that felt satisfactory.

-Why did supernatural forces not seem to exist before the plague? I definitely thought the series would explain why there were now mages and ghosts and poo poo, but it was like eh, magic always existed

-I also have a hard time thinking only iceland escaped, what about svalbard or greenland, these places surely must have survivors. And since we had places in Finland in the lake area surviving, why not Åland or other coastal islands that have no land bridge, I can think of a lot of places in Finland that could make good places to survive in.

-Why are everyone white? Surely non white people living in scandinavia survived too?

I felt like the author never meant to adress these issues ands instead wanted to focus on people with the world as a backdrop, or she got tired of the story after like 8 years. Also seems to have some religious conversion which might've done something to continuing the series.

His Divine Shadow has a new favorite as of 18:15 on Apr 5, 2022