Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

bird with big dick posted:

It's April, Elon, where's my 3P you fucker.

One of my neighbors has had a red Y for a while and just now a red 3LR has been parked in his driveway also, not sure if it's a visitor or one of them bought it. When my red 3 shows up we're gonna have the highest red tesla per capita concentration on the planet.

My friend's Y performance has been pushed back from this month to May or June I believe 😢

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer
My LR Y has been sitting at May 2-30 for some time now, hopefully they can kick that into April with Texas starting up

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

priznat posted:

Just reading about the BMW iX, the car won’t let you open the hood if you’re not a service technician, lol.

EQS is the same.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Dealership had a Mach-E Select and we were kind of in the area so I stopped by with my husband as while I had seen and test driven one in person, he hadn't, even though we have a Premium one on order.

Dealership wanted a $10k market rate adjustment and tried to pressure me into into right then because someone else would buy it on Monday.

$10k, I thought the $5k markup on the exact model I ended up ordering was outrageous.

moosemanmoo
Jan 6, 2007
R the Reply that his life was in danger
The center screen on my 2021 SR+ (NCA battery) popped up the warning “Maximum battery charge level and range may be reduced. Ok to drive - service soon” yesterday at the start of a 400 mile day of driving. :negative:

Luckily it drove, supercharged, and L2 charged at home just fine, and nothing seems wrong so far other than the estimated range going down to 213 miles if I drag the charge limit slider to 100%. Seems like other folks who reported the same bms_066 error end up having the high voltage battery replaced under warranty.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Is Level 1 charging to 100% a bad idea on a EV with a 67kwh battery that is limited to 64kwh anyway? (Kia Niro EV).

Level 2?

DC, yeah 80%

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

General consensus is its fine, just don't leave it at 100% for extended periods.

L1/L2 is pretty much the same for this purpose since they're both so far below 1C

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Yeah, it's fine to charge to 100% if you want max range for the first leg of a long trip or similar. Just minimize the time spent there.

I've charged to 100% on DC as well, but that was because the parking lot the charger was in closed while I was hooking up and I had to crawl out a broken window to avoid spending the night there. :v:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

My Prius was totaled a couple weeks back (2nd time in just over 4 years where somebody ran through a stop sign and ran into me, both times I had Priuses) and now it's time to get a new car so I've decided to go for a Bolt and get out of the ICE game.

I realize that it's probably going to be a while before they are actually available again since production literally only started again today at GM, but I was wondering if there was any advice from Bolt owners here. I'm looking at getting a 2LT and adding on the dual charger and the infotainment package. The vast majority of my driving will be in the city (maybe 10 miles a day more or less) with trips between 200 - 500 miles a few times a year. I've heard GM's incentive right now is them installing a 240v home charger if you get a 2022 model- does anyone have any experience with that as well?

Please help a total EV n00b.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

My Prius was totaled a couple weeks back (2nd time in just over 4 years where somebody ran through a stop sign and ran into me, both times I had Priuses) and now it's time to get a new car so I've decided to go for a Bolt and get out of the ICE game.

I realize that it's probably going to be a while before they are actually available again since production literally only started again today at GM, but I was wondering if there was any advice from Bolt owners here. I'm looking at getting a 2LT and adding on the dual charger and the infotainment package. The vast majority of my driving will be in the city (maybe 10 miles a day more or less) with trips between 200 - 500 miles a few times a year. I've heard GM's incentive right now is them installing a 240v home charger if you get a 2022 model- does anyone have any experience with that as well?

The Bolt can do road trips, just not well because its DC fast charging limit is only 55 kW, but that is pretty common for something with its MSRP. 150+ kW DC fast charging that turns road trips much more practical isn't a thing till you are over $40,000 MSRP. So you can do it, just don't expect it to be as easy as a Prius.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah I'm figuring that adding a couple hours for charging on a road trip from San Francisco to Santa Monica would be normal more or less.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
So my 2018 M3 rear camera died for the 5th time. Who can I escalate this to?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

lostleaf posted:

So my 2018 M3 rear camera died for the 5th time. Who can I escalate this to?

BMW I guess.

Jokes aside, there's a recall on this, haven't they done yours?

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
My service advisor said they have not received any parts at all. The recall is at least 6 months old.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Nah it’s only been a little over 3 months!

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

Indiana_Krom posted:

The Bolt can do road trips, just not well because its DC fast charging limit is only 55 kW, but that is pretty common for something with its MSRP. 150+ kW DC fast charging that turns road trips much more practical isn't a thing till you are over $40,000 MSRP. So you can do it, just don't expect it to be as easy as a Prius.

I hit a lovely DCFC on the Oklahoma turnpike that maxed out at 50kw(of a claimed 200) today and was mad as hell about it...but it was still absolutely doable.

Would have been better if the service station was one with better food, but we were stuck with lovely gas station BBQ.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Yeah I'm figuring that adding a couple hours for charging on a road trip from San Francisco to Santa Monica would be normal more or less.

Its worth noting if you're in the US and your tax situation is such that the rebate will be beneficial, GM has run out of their tax credits, while other companies still have them available, which could make a more expensive car with faster charging competitive with the bolt in the end more, than it looks at first glance.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Tom Guycot posted:

Its worth noting if you're in the US and your tax situation is such that the rebate will be beneficial, GM has run out of their tax credits, while other companies still have them available, which could make a more expensive car with faster charging competitive with the bolt in the end more, than it looks at first glance.

It’s still GM and Tesla that are out, ya? Is Ford getting close?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

lostleaf posted:

My service advisor said they have not received any parts at all. The recall is at least 6 months old.

I had a door latch recall on a Ford Focus that was open for like 16 months. It's not good, but it's is not abnormal.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I had a door latch recall on a Ford Focus that was open for like 16 months. It's not good, but it's is not abnormal.

Yea, my Takata airbag recall went on for what seemed like years, between the initial and final replacements.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

MrYenko posted:

It’s still GM and Tesla that are out, ya? Is Ford getting close?

I think Ford is projected to break the cap 3Q this year. IIRC people discussing it thought it was possible but unlikely 2Q, but pretty much guaranteed 3Q.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Yea, my Takata airbag recall went on for what seemed like years, between the initial and final replacements.

Ford took three years to repair my dangerous Takata passenger-side airbag. Repeatedly calling my dealer and corporate support did nothing. They always said, "sorry, no parts available, no ETA, just don't sit in the passenger seat and you'll be fine".

I got another recall notice last year for the driver's side airbag, saying "we don't have parts and will let you know when we do".

So my car will probably kill me at some point. Hooray.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Assuming you are an average adult driver between the ages of 30 and 80, your collision rate is like 330/million miles driven. So assuming you drive 12,000 miles a year, your odds of being in a collision are roughly 0.39% per year. Let's assume that every crash blows the airbag (bad assumption, this will make things high side inaccurate but I am lazy). Of an install base of 67 million recalled Takata airbags, 19 people were killed. So assuming the airbag blows, you have a roughly 0.000028% chance of the airbag killing you.

I wouldn't describe something that has approximately a 0.00001% chance of killing you every year as "will probably kill you" but I guess that's a matter of interpretation.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

They're not going to install a charger, they're going to give you a "credit" toward installing a charger, which the dealer will immediately pocket in a shell game. I think it's like $500. I recommend you try to get the dealer to turn that credit into, like, the dual-level charging cord, an extra key fob, and the interior protection package, which should be the same amount.

Unless you have a sub panel in your unfinished garage and want the EVSE to go a meter away from that, $500 isn't enough to cover the installation cost.

Also, the Bolt is fine for occasional road trips, just bear in mind you're gonna be charging a lot. You sound like a good candidate for this. If you're doing a 2-day drive, maybe rent a car for it.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

cruft posted:

They're not going to install a charger, they're going to give you a "credit" toward installing a charger, which the dealer will immediately pocket in a shell game. I think it's like $500. I recommend you try to get the dealer to turn that credit into, like, the dual-level charging cord, an extra key fob, and the interior protection package, which should be the same amount.

Unless you have a sub panel in your unfinished garage and want the EVSE to go a meter away from that, $500 isn't enough to cover the installation cost.

Also, the Bolt is fine for occasional road trips, just bear in mind you're gonna be charging a lot. You sound like a good candidate for this. If you're doing a 2-day drive, maybe rent a car for it.

The charging thing I'm speaking of is this: https://www.chevrolet.com/electric/living-electric/home-charging-installation - did you have problems with it?

Yeah when I take trips like I've mentioned most of the time they are leisurely. I guess I'll decide on a rental depending on the trip itself.

Also thanks for the thoughts on getting something larger like a Mach E but the Bolt is really in that sweet spot of physical size and range. Being in San Francisco I simply don't want or need a car that is almost 2' longer than the bolt.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

The charging thing I'm speaking of is this: https://www.chevrolet.com/electric/living-electric/home-charging-installation - did you have problems with it?

Oh, huh. That seems pretty unambiguous, not what I thought it was.

I never went through with buying a new Bolt, I bought a lightly used 2019 instead. It's a fun little car, and San Francisco seems just about perfect for this car. Be sure to post photos when you get it!

PS: get the pretty iceberg blue color!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Are Teslas lately still kind of joked about? They look so good on paper but IDK. I hear too many stories about quality control issues that make me worried a bit.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Are Teslas lately still kind of joked about? They look so good on paper but IDK. I hear too many stories about quality control issues that make me worried a bit.

They're mostly better just based on the sheer volume they're making now. You'll still see some horror stories here and there but if that's your one concern then you'll (probably) be ok and shouldn't be reason enough to not look at once if that's what you're after.

(buy an EV6 instead :getin: )

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The main downside to buying a Tesla at the moment is they're kind of long in the tooth on their development cycle. Who knows when their next generation of batteries comes along, and their lack of 800V charging capabilities means newer EVs (like the EV6) have better DCFC curves.

Edit: Most of all when I sell my Model 3 Performance, I'll miss the software. All the other makers are several years away from giving their owners unrestricted API access with full telemetry, and the amount of features added to my car via updates in the past 3 1/2 years is staggering.

Nfcknblvbl fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 5, 2022

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
When you centralize everything to the point of requiring Tesla workshops(TM) and Tesla dealerships(TM), you also take on the bad publicity that comes with that, which would otherwise have sounded more like bad individual experiences with dodgy salespeople and repair folks.

If people have any bad QC experience, there's only Tesla to blame.

But ofc they still get to sell a lot more cars with higher margins by doing things their way. I'm pretty sure they're fine with the trade-off.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Three things keep me out of a Tesla:

1. Their stance on right to repair is on par with apple and John Deere and frankly, disgusting.
2. I really don't like the central screen being the only source of information. Give me a small pod on the dash with a speed and battery charge, minimum.
3. They're loving everywhere

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Nfcknblvbl posted:

The main downside to buying a Tesla at the moment is they're kind of long in the tooth on their development cycle. Who knows when their next generation of batteries comes along, and their lack of 800V charging capabilities means newer EVs (like the EV6) have better DCFC curves.

Edit: Most of all when I sell my Model 3 Performance, I'll miss the software. All the other makers are several years away from giving their owners unrestricted API access with full telemetry, and the amount of features added to my car via updates in the past 3 1/2 years is staggering.

How many software features do you really need in a car though?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

GlassEye-Boy posted:

How many software features do you really need in a car though?

We didn't think we'd need supercomputers in our pockets 20 years ago but here we are.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

MustardFacial posted:

2. I really don't like the central screen being the only source of information. Give me a small pod on the dash with a speed and battery charge, minimum.

I think no gauge cluster screen would be ok if they had included a hud. Its something that seems odd to me as its a simple effect, it won't break up the ultra (too ultra for me) minimalism of the dashboard design, and still comes across as "high tech" to put into a car.

It seems a perfect match for tesla but... i dunno.

Maybe its some kind of patent thing.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Buy a Tesla Model 3 Performance right now, get good trade in in 2 years when the best car in the history of the world starts hitting the streets in volume, the Hyundai Ioniq 5 N Performance.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
The only reason Tesla does the "only a center screen and no hard buttons" thing is because it lets them cheap out on the interior while acting like they're doing something new and innovative. The same also holds for any other car maker converting hard buttons into touch controls.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Roadie posted:

The only reason Tesla does the "only a center screen and no hard buttons" thing is because it lets them cheap out on the interior while acting like they're doing something new and innovative. The same also holds for any other car maker converting hard buttons into touch controls.

Let's be fair: when Tesla did this, it was new and innovative. We haven't yet hit the time when this is viewed as a cheapskate design but it's coming.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Putting in a hud when the gauge cluster was removed to save money on assembly seems like it'd defeat the point.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

cruft posted:

Let's be fair: when Tesla did this, it was new and innovative. We haven't yet hit the time when this is viewed as a cheapskate design but it's coming.

It was new an innovative because nobody else thought they could get away with the obvious unpopular cost saving move.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

We didn't think we'd need supercomputers in our pockets 20 years ago but here we are.

I think a lot of people thought that would be awesome actually, it just seemed infeasible. The fact that we already have those is a good reason why we don’t also need them in our cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I think a lot of people thought that would be awesome actually, it just seemed infeasible. The fact that we already have those is a good reason why we don’t also need them in our cars.

My car has been pretty clutch on lunch breaks. Fire up Plex/YouTube, chill, maybe take a nap. I like that it got an update that allows me to store 4 camera angles on a USB drive without buying any equipment. It preconditions the battery before DC fast charging. I can set the desired SoC and amperage from my phone while or before it charges. My DC fast charging max speed bumped up from 150kW to 250kW.

These are all things that were added to my car after I bought it.