Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/RnaudBertrand/status/1510627832111656969

I wish my country would do things like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

that is such an amazing, unbelievable thing for a local government to declare with such short notice and be confident in their ability to achieve it

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/FinancialTimes/status/1511003371628646418

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

god imagine being part of a polity that believed in communal effort like this

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Truga posted:

lmfao there's one comment on that article and it's

It's just the flu, which also isn't real

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Centrist Committee posted:

god imagine being part of a polity that believed in communal effort like this

if you have any covid doomer friends I’ve found this sort of stuff is a really easy way to chinapill them

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/ryanl_hass/status/1510949730251116546

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Dont quote me on it, but I think the unusual amount of ugly stories coming out of Shanghai has to do with the guy running SH (Li Qiang) is a Xi guy. There is a lot of secret pushing and pulling to make sure the Xi guys are not getting good positions in 20th congress.

I am okay with Xi guys not getting into standing committee.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

stephenthinkpad posted:

Dont quote me on it, but I think the unusual amount of ugly stories coming out of Shanghai has to do with the guy running SH (Li Qiang) is a Xi guy. There is a lot of secret pushing and pulling to make sure the Xi guys are not getting good positions in 20th congress.

how come

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

leftist "unity" strikes again :rolleyes:

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

stephenthinkpad posted:

Sounds interesting. Feel free to expand on this.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

stephenthinkpad posted:

pushing and pulling from what flanks, to what ends?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Breakfast All Day posted:

pushing and pulling from what flanks, to what ends?

Both the Jiang faction and the "Tianpai" (Hu + Hu Chun hua + Wang Yang ) among others.

To make sure the other factions have a say in Xi's potential heir.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

do those factions not really like Xi or is it more they want to make sure the successor isn’t some fuckhead

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Are they gonna find a bigger, cooler communist to replace xi or what

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Fractionalism has always been part of Chinese dynastic politic.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

stephenthinkpad posted:

Fractionalism has always been part of Chinese dynastic politic.

I’m asking if we know what’s motivating the factions

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

https://twitter.com/ruima/status/1511110509138898944?s=20&t=CxAqfBv3JJYtdVbAVaGBzA

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

hmm. seems pretty good

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Video of how the euro-to-ruble thing is going to work out:
https://twitter.com/incontextmedia/status/1510938045859737614

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

indigi posted:

hmm. seems pretty good

I haven't seen a bonus since 2019 so yeah lmao I agree

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Rando memery about Shanghai declaring independence, unrelated (?) to the Shanghai National Party astroturf fringe dorks, for once

https://twitter.com/big_ear_cat/status/1509870271255166989

https://twitter.com/shadowglenelf/status/1510645148782247944

https://twitter.com/lude_media/status/1509122147934879746

Jokes aside, Shanghai is relatively pretty lib, like Hong Kong. Wondering if any other coastal mega-cities have a similar "too good for the rest of the country" attitude to their identity. Shenzhen doesn't afaik

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Shenzhen doesnt because they are just starting to get a generation of kids born into relative wealth thanks to the back breaking work of their parents, but a lot of these kids formative years were spent under Xi thought which has shaped them differently than the more lib areas

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

https://twitter.com/RealSexyCyborg/status/1508781269139697666?s=20&t=CxAqfBv3JJYtdVbAVaGBzA

https://twitter.com/RealSexyCyborg/status/1508111260159647748?s=20&t=CxAqfBv3JJYtdVbAVaGBzA

https://twitter.com/RealSexyCyborg/status/1508111264085516289?s=20&t=CxAqfBv3JJYtdVbAVaGBzA

It sounds like this is just kind of on brand for shanghai. Lots of money. Lots of foreigners. Lots of superiority complex.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Taiwan's economy is the size of Shanghai, these days. CPC should think twice about annexing such a place. With great capital comes great cringe

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah. You can basically transcribe any new Yorker stereotypes (especially Manhattan) to Shanghai and they work perfectly.

Chinese people are getting very fed up with the rules. It's not just about foreign travel, tbh, very few people experienced or cared about that. But movement within the country is heavily restricted, which is very bad for morale. Many many Chinese people live far away from their families for their jobs, and can only go home once or twice a year for holidays. For the last 3 spring festivals (by far biggest holiday) there have been "stay in place" orders. People are starting to think "what's the point of covid 0 if I can't even see my family" also everyone in China is aware that overseas, life is back to normal and people are going on vacations. Ofc the huge number of casualties from the wests stupid policies are not publicized.

If covid 0 lasts to the next spring festival, I will be totally shocked.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Wuhan was hosting EDM festivals a year ago, what happened

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Omicron is very good at spreading and Hong Kong is a super spreader island (liberals).

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

They didn't get the tests back by 7PM but they did do everyone. Pretty neat, but it really helps when everyone is in nicely organized little 小區 or big rear end complexes. Abolish detached housing.

Maximo Roboto posted:

Rando memery about Shanghai declaring independence, unrelated (?) to the Shanghai National Party astroturf fringe dorks, for once

https://twitter.com/big_ear_cat/status/1509870271255166989

https://twitter.com/shadowglenelf/status/1510645148782247944

https://twitter.com/lude_media/status/1509122147934879746

Jokes aside, Shanghai is relatively pretty lib, like Hong Kong. Wondering if any other coastal mega-cities have a similar "too good for the rest of the country" attitude to their identity. Shenzhen doesn't afaik

Having just moved from HK to Shanghai, they're both super lib and precious.

I'll agree that Carrie and Co have been pretty loving random because the ruling political class of HK are just drooling idiots that make US Congress critters look empowered. They need to satisfy Beijing and the financial class of HK and those groups are basically sitting in direct opposition on COVID policy. This has led to HK trying to have it both ways on COVID policy and running screaming in both directions whenever cases go up or down. Thankfully the politics are gonna go great with libs already comparing 90s CEs to Vaclav Havel and the presumptive follow-up to them as loving Putin lol.

Shanghai is just mega lib because its always been the most "cosmopolitan" (e.g, Western) city and so you end up with the London / NYC type culture folks swarming around and being who they are. Has just gotten worse since I last lived here in 2014. Doesn't help that being being in the Shanghai leadership position is seen as a strong stepping stone to standing committee or at the very least a powerful factional position in the party.

indigi posted:

do those factions not really like Xi or is it more they want to make sure the successor isn’t some fuckhead

There's always a lot of political wrangling leading up the the turnover of the standing committee, and a lot of times the influence players are previous standing committee members trying to secure their specific projects / ideology - so expect stuff about Hu Jintao to start cropping up again and maybe they'll dust off Jiang Zemin.

If we remember back to Ye Olde 2012 there was a lot of push-pull between the Xi faction and the one that ostensibly backed Bo Xilai. I still think Bo Xilai may have done a better job addressing some health and social spending infrastructure that continues to be a pain point in China, but Xi obviously has built the physical infrastructure and "China-for-China" supply chains that bolster the country's position as both an international political-economic player and help the bottom line. Read the corruption scandal of Bo Xilai and Xi's crackdowns as you will from that, the truth is that the standing committee members make sure their networks get to eat.

Xi is very popular, but definitely has detractors in the party because he's played favorites to build his projects. China is not free from politics.

Mirello posted:

Yeah. You can basically transcribe any new Yorker stereotypes (especially Manhattan) to Shanghai and they work perfectly.

Chinese people are getting very fed up with the rules. It's not just about foreign travel, tbh, very few people experienced or cared about that. But movement within the country is heavily restricted, which is very bad for morale. Many many Chinese people live far away from their families for their jobs, and can only go home once or twice a year for holidays. For the last 3 spring festivals (by far biggest holiday) there have been "stay in place" orders. People are starting to think "what's the point of covid 0 if I can't even see my family" also everyone in China is aware that overseas, life is back to normal and people are going on vacations. Ofc the huge number of casualties from the wests stupid policies are not publicized.

If covid 0 lasts to the next spring festival, I will be totally shocked.

Maybe we just speak to different people but I don't get as much of this impression. I too would be surprised if the government doesn't do some degree of course correction, but I don't think there's a huge impetus towards "open er up" policies. Maybe Shanghai's government was trying to push that by doing their big data microtargeting testing and lockdowns prior to this big lockdown, but it's pretty clear when compared to Shenzhen they hosed up and folks are more pissed at them having to pull an HK-style bait-and-switch with the requisite runs on groceries and so on.

Most people in my community are more pissed that they weren't given an opportunity to prepare and the government has only provided one piddly bag of bok choy and cabbage, and I feel the same way, give me a goddam carrot lol

Now today with the cases going up again there's been no direction on what next besides "You're locked down until we can get our poo poo together".

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Telluric Whistler posted:

They didn't get the tests back by 7PM but they did do everyone. Pretty neat, but it really helps when everyone is in nicely organized little 小區 or big rear end complexes. Abolish detached housing.

Having just moved from HK to Shanghai, they're both super lib and precious.

I'll agree that Carrie and Co have been pretty loving random because the ruling political class of HK are just drooling idiots that make US Congress critters look empowered. They need to satisfy Beijing and the financial class of HK and those groups are basically sitting in direct opposition on COVID policy. This has led to HK trying to have it both ways on COVID policy and running screaming in both directions whenever cases go up or down. Thankfully the politics are gonna go great with libs already comparing 90s CEs to Vaclav Havel and the presumptive follow-up to them as loving Putin lol.

Shanghai is just mega lib because its always been the most "cosmopolitan" (e.g, Western) city and so you end up with the London / NYC type culture folks swarming around and being who they are. Has just gotten worse since I last lived here in 2014. Doesn't help that being being in the Shanghai leadership position is seen as a strong stepping stone to standing committee or at the very least a powerful factional position in the party.

There's always a lot of political wrangling leading up the the turnover of the standing committee, and a lot of times the influence players are previous standing committee members trying to secure their specific projects / ideology - so expect stuff about Hu Jintao to start cropping up again and maybe they'll dust off Jiang Zemin.

If we remember back to Ye Olde 2012 there was a lot of push-pull between the Xi faction and the one that ostensibly backed Bo Xilai. I still think Bo Xilai may have done a better job addressing some health and social spending infrastructure that continues to be a pain point in China, but Xi obviously has built the physical infrastructure and "China-for-China" supply chains that bolster the country's position as both an international political-economic player and help the bottom line. Read the corruption scandal of Bo Xilai and Xi's crackdowns as you will from that, the truth is that the standing committee members make sure their networks get to eat.

Xi is very popular, but definitely has detractors in the party because he's played favorites to build his projects. China is not free from politics.

Maybe we just speak to different people but I don't get as much of this impression. I too would be surprised if the government doesn't do some degree of course correction, but I don't think there's a huge impetus towards "open er up" policies. Maybe Shanghai's government was trying to push that by doing their big data microtargeting testing and lockdowns prior to this big lockdown, but it's pretty clear when compared to Shenzhen they hosed up and folks are more pissed at them having to pull an HK-style bait-and-switch with the requisite runs on groceries and so on.

Most people in my community are more pissed that they weren't given an opportunity to prepare and the government has only provided one piddly bag of bok choy and cabbage, and I feel the same way, give me a goddam carrot lol

Now today with the cases going up again there's been no direction on what next besides "You're locked down until we can get our poo poo together".

thanks that’s a helpful answer

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mirello posted:

LET'S GO GOLDEN EAGLES LOVE DA EAGLES

SHANGHAI BABEY!!!

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

it sounds like the lockdowns outside of Shanghai went pretty smoothly, is that about right? i recall Qingdao and shenzhen being early epicenters but that they’ve basically had restrictions lifted now

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Telluric Whistler posted:

Doesn't help that being being in the Shanghai leadership position is seen as a strong stepping stone to standing committee or at the very least a powerful factional position in the party.

Say what you want about the U.S. political establishment, it's smart enough to cut New Yorkers from the top positions, at least post-Roosevelts.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Even bumbling Shanghai can just up and test every person in a day
I imagine that's terrible for the economy however

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Maximo Roboto posted:

Say what you want about the U.S. political establishment, it's smart enough to cut New Yorkers from the top positions, at least post-Roosevelts.

our most recent president was a New Yorker lol

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Spergin Morlock posted:

our most recent president was a New Yorker lol

And he wasn’t from the political establishment!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

SorePotato posted:

Even bumbling Shanghai can just up and test every person in a day
I imagine that's terrible for the economy however

terrible compared to what?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Maximo Roboto posted:

And he wasn’t from the political establishment!

And the turd has moved to Florida so we don't has to associate with him anymore. Dem also make sure Crumo is not running for president next round so I can see the anti-New York deep state at work.

I also don't see the New York, Shanghai city comparison btw. The kind of characters you meet in NY subway, you don't see in Shanghai. NY style is from a colder climate.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Same thing with Beijing and Los Angeles. I feel as if Beijingers are too uptight compared to your average laid back Angelino.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

no american city compares to shanghai because you can actually afford to live there, they don't have tent cities full of mentally ill homeless people everywhere, and you don't have to fear either crime or jackbooted pigs.