Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.
Thanks for the replies. Going off Google alone, it sounds a lot like vestibular disease. His eyes were moving as if he were very dizzy. He doesn't seem to be getting worse at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Say hi to Casey!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Hello

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Hi Casey!

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Is there any thread for cancer support? I took my 9yo shepherd in for an evaluation of what appeared to be worsening arthritis and hip displaysia, and the vet said that during the exam "all of her lymph nodes are swollen" and that it is likely advanced lymphoma.

I'm really devastated. I lost my last shepherd 6 years ago to a nasal sarcoma and to read that the prognosis for lymphoma (if confirmed by labs) is just 4-6 weeks has me hosed up. Chemo doesn't appear to be a great option either as it will "only" buy another year, possibly two, but at a cost that's not affordable for us.

should I start her on prednisone (the 2nd option the vet recommended if not chemo) immediately?

I loving hate cancer so loving much

this is her on her heating blanket

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I've been through chemo personally and I promise you you're doing the dog the kindest act possible by not even considering it as an option.

I don't know about the rest, but I hope it goes as well as possible for you all.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
We just got lab results back and Sherlock has a mast cell tumor on his foot. While removal is possible, ideal margins are not. We will be seeing a surgeon for next steps. Cancer does suck.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Here is our new boy Hadrian on his first day at home, and then one from yesterday, day 10. He's been a quick learner on crates and housetraining, but having issues containing his excitement for pets/cuddles and starts nipping everything in sight. He's a fast learner in general though so I'm hopeful we can help him learn how to be excited in a way that involves fewer tiny needle teeth.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
gently caress cancer

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Wife and I almost lost our 5 year old labradoodle a couple of days ago because apparently he has addison's disease and was in crisis. He had been very lethargic and hadn't been eating or pooping for a couple of days, so we thought it was an obstruction at first. While he was at the hospital, they incidentally found a heart murmur. Once he was stable from his addisonian crisis, they did an echo and his EF was only 36% and they diagnosed him with dilated cardiomyopathy (they said it was likely due to his grain free diet). Sucks that he managed to recover from his first illness and now he's just on borrowed time from a second one. We're devastated that we probably don't have much time with him left.

I feel like the unluckiest dog owner because I had a golden retriever as a kid die at 2 years old from some sort of heart condition, a chocolate lab die while I was in college die at 5 years old from lymphoma and now a labradoodle who probably won't live past 6 years old due to DCM.

ihatepants fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Mar 25, 2022

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Stringent posted:

I've been through chemo personally and I promise you you're doing the dog the kindest act possible by not even considering it as an option.

I don't know about the rest, but I hope it goes as well as possible for you all.

Thanks for this... when the DVM said that chemo would only give her a chance at one additional year, with only 25% of dogs surviving after 2, I knew I didn't want to put her through it.

I guess we just move ahead with prednisone and keep her happy and comfortable as long as we can.

:cry:

HootTheOwl posted:

gently caress cancer

\/\/ - thank you. She's started to decline real fast. I don't think we have more than a few weeks at this point before I'll need to make the call. The only consolation i have is that she doesn't seem to be in much pain, especially with the gabapentin, but she's starting to have trouble standing.

Once she cannot stand on her own, I think that will be when i make the call for her

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 25, 2022

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
I'm so sorry this is happening to you. I truly wish for the best for you and your pup.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Sorry about your dog, it's really poo poo to have happen. We lost ours to skin cancer and these are the learnings I took away from it:

- Steroids can help, but the earlier the better and they come with their own problems. He lost muscle, changing his appearance and making him seem more unwell in other ways. If they affect comfort in the moment that's great, but wouldn't look to them to prolong things.

- We didn't think chemo was worth it, and he was 9 too. If he'd been 2 then perhaps - we had no personal experience with it but figured it couldn't be worth it for him so late on in life.

- We didn't find any of the 'traditional' or 'complimentary' treatments or supplements did anything - only stuff the vet prescribed.

- Be prepared for the decline being faster than you expect. By the time ours was diagnosed we presume it had been going on a while and what we thought would be months became weeks, then what we thought would be weeks became days. It felt a bit like dominoes in that when one thing started failing it was within 24h that everything did and we found ourselves having to make the decision a lot sooner than we'd expected.

- Probably universal advice but it's the best thing that I took from it - knowing that time was short I considered all my actions in the context of how I'd look back on them. Now I can look back and know that I did everything right, gave the best care, and that's the greatest comfort following such a difficult time.

just a kazoo
Mar 7, 2018
Does anyone have any advice for keeping your dogs from eating straight dirt?

We have 3 dogs, one of whom is a gigantic lovable idiot who will eat anything that he notices might fit in his mouth. This has included straight up dirt for as long as my wife has had him. Not long after she took him on as a rescue he ate an entire potted plant, dirt and all.

He has continued this habit of eating inedible objects his whole life. We try our best to keep him away but there is only so much we can do. It is clearly a compulsive behavior that I have determined is nearly impossible to completely extinguish. But the dirt eating continues to drive me crazy, because I am worried about his health (he often pukes after he does this) and because my lawn has multiple dog-made patches of dirt for eating.

I work from home and especially this time of year (as the sun begins to come out) all of our dogs want to be outside while I work. I want to give them this luxury but they it has become all too common for this dog to start tearing into our grass with his paws and eating the raw dirt afterwords. This practice has begun to spread to our other dogs as well (though nowhere nearly as bad). It's beginning to stress me the gently caress out and absolutely distracts me from my job.

Things we have tried:
-Taking him to the vet. Multiple times. He is considered a healthy dog and no matter how many tests we have preformed they can't come up with anything that is medically wrong with him.
-Giving him mineral supplements (specifically this)
-Telling him no (strongly) when he is caught
-Spraying him with a water bottle when he is caught

Would appreciate any advice.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I live on a farm and my oldest dog just loves to eat poo poo and straw then barf it up in the middle of the night. I got him this idiot bag for idiots and not only does he not mind wearing it at all, but it also prevents him from doing his gross snacking.

just a kazoo
Mar 7, 2018

Instant Jellyfish posted:

I live on a farm and my oldest dog just loves to eat poo poo and straw then barf it up in the middle of the night. I got him this idiot bag for idiots and not only does he not mind wearing it at all, but it also prevents him from doing his gross snacking.

Gotta wait until they are back in stock with a size for our big guy, but I feel like that will absolutely help. Thank you!

Can you believe this guy would want to eat dirt?? https://photos.app.goo.gl/6nmNmZ1kCt7eatoi7

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

just a kazoo posted:

Gotta wait until they are back in stock with a size for our big guy, but I feel like that will absolutely help. Thank you!

Can you believe this guy would want to eat dirt?? https://photos.app.goo.gl/6nmNmZ1kCt7eatoi7

drat that's a hell of a drool bubble

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
I am looking for tips of the best way to save my carpet/wall from a senior dog who can't hold his pee and poo as long as he used to.* Current timeline is about 4-6 hours which has become problematic for both workdays (I do come home at lunch) and overnights (I sleep on a hair trigger now and if I hear him walking I spring out of bed). His favorite spot is unfortunately a carpeted area against a wall. I've been spot-cleaning with a few different pet-urine solutions. We have one of those water-spraying carpet vacuum things, using the Bissell solution it came with. We've used vinegar, baking soda, Nature's Miracle, and Ecos/Venus Laboratories which is apparently the original Nature's Miracle formula...? I don't know, but the area still smells like pee and I think it's a volume/amount issue. Just.... so much pee. I've now been putting towels down and am considering getting puppy pee pads. The poop is no big deal honestly because even though it's gross it's a quick clean. The real issue is that he's peeing at the wall and it's seeping down into the crevice between wall/carpet, it's hard to clean in there compared to a flat spot. Thoughts, tips, tricks?

*Not my first rodeo. He's been to the vet this week, urinalysis and fecal came back normal, bloodwork has high liver values that we're still troubleshooting, but the peeing seems to just be age related. We learned 10+ years ago that he cannot be crated, he has *extremely* bad crate anxiety and chews bars so badly that he breaks off teeth and also somehow managed to chew or rip his own nylon collar off. He's emotionally fine when left alone with free run of the house, though.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Belly band?

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Might be worth a shot! Honestly my reaction to seeing those is "my dog would pull that off himself and laugh into my face" but maybe they're built better than I imagine.

Warm Fish Salad
Dec 16, 2016

You Compleat Me

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Thank you so much for this! I have clients coming in all the time wanting to buy muzzles for their dogs who eat chicken poop and rocks and such, and most muzzles won't reliably prevent problem eating as the dog can still get their tongue between the bars, and many have feeding/drinking slots in them. I'll definitely be recommending this from now on!

kakotheres
Nov 9, 2016

Do the job that is in front of you
Hello friends! I am here on behalf of Skippy the 2.5 year old 60 pound pitbull. He lives with my friends and we are all doing the reactive doggo training courses online. Part of this is needing a new and higher fence. We live in Albany NY and CANNOT find a supply of wood fence, apparently it's a huge problem. Yes we tried Curtis Lumber :D The old fence is not entirely fit for purpose, it was there when they moved in and is really thin wood.

Tldr; do ultrasonic fences work, and to what degree. Planning on using it as an extra defense :agesilaus: until we can find a supply of wood fence.

Good boy tax

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I would try holbrook next i guess. The home depots/lowes around didn't have what you needed either? Try the one in clifton park it may have a better stock cuz rich people. Did you try both curtis lumber locations?

kakotheres
Nov 9, 2016

Stravag posted:

I would try holbrook next i guess. The home depots/lowes around didn't have what you needed either? Try the one in clifton park it may have a better stock cuz rich people. Did you try both curtis lumber locations?

I forgot about rich people, HA! I think they called around but I will make sure, thank you!!!

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

GCU Quelle Suprise posted:

Tldr; do ultrasonic fences work, and to what degree. Planning on using it as an extra defense :agesilaus: until we can find a supply of wood fence.
They work for most dogs with proper associated training, but I would never, ever, ever rely on one to completely contain an unsupervised dog. Especially any breed with a high prey drive. No amount of training or discomfort is going to override "I MUST CHASE THAT BUNNY".

I did a lot of research on ultrasonic fences several years ago, and the experts I've read recommend them only as a secondary layer of protection for when a dog successfully escapes a physical barrier. Which may fit your situation ("we have a fence, but it's not great and my dog can occasionally jump/hulk past it").

kakotheres
Nov 9, 2016

WhiteHowler posted:

They work for most dogs with proper associated training, but I would never, ever, ever rely on one to completely contain an unsupervised dog. Especially any breed with a high prey drive. No amount of training or discomfort is going to override "I MUST CHASE THAT BUNNY".

I did a lot of research on ultrasonic fences several years ago, and the experts I've read recommend them only as a secondary layer of protection for when a dog successfully escapes a physical barrier. Which may fit your situation ("we have a fence, but it's not great and my dog can occasionally jump/hulk past it").

Thank you, this is exactly what I needed to know about them, will only use as extra stopping power then!

edit: hell yeah Crooooowwwww

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

WhiteHowler posted:

Yeah. Jarvis's best friend is a now 80lb doberman that lives down our street. He was freaking the gently caress out at the back door the other day. We opened the curtain and there she was, trying to play with him. They have an invisible fence, but she blew right by it when she picked up his scent. I can only imagine it was because the wind was coming out of the east that day.

They had a good time barreling around our house while my wife called them. They had no idea she had taken off.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

drat Bananas posted:

*Not my first rodeo. He's been to the vet this week, urinalysis and fecal came back normal, bloodwork has high liver values that we're still troubleshooting, but the peeing seems to just be age related. We learned 10+ years ago that he cannot be crated, he has *extremely* bad crate anxiety and chews bars so badly that he breaks off teeth and also somehow managed to chew or rip his own nylon collar off. He's emotionally fine when left alone with free run of the house, though.

Check out reusable whelping pads or human incontinence bed pads instead of towels. You could also put down a shower curtain or tarp below the pads to better protect your carpet. Can he be contained in an area with just pads or does that trigger his anxiety too?

A belly band is a good idea too! My very old dog has never tried to remove his when he's had leaky days and needed it.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Yeah pee pads always seem to leak through, we put them over a small tarp.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Any of you guys ever have a dog who just licks furniture for no apparent reason? Like I'm just sitting here and I hear licking noises, I look over and this clown is just licking the chair. Occasionally she licks the wooden arm rest for the chair.

I virtually never use the chair in question, so I kinda don't care, but every now and then she licks my bed and that really irritates me. Nothing like making my way to bed at night and finding a large wet circle where I normally sleep.

The dog and chair in question:

(the one being sat on)

I don't know to stop this behavior. Like I can just call her name and say no and she looks at me and stops, but in a few days she'll probably do it again. It's such an infrequent behavior that I don't know how to correct it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
My dog does that, but he only licks his own bed, so I haven't bothered trying to correct it. :shrug:

just a kazoo
Mar 7, 2018
My understanding is that excessive licking typically happens when dogs are weened too early. The dog I posted above who is driven to eat dirt also does this.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

She's 8 years old now and I got her when she was 5 years. She also likes to eat dirt, incidentally

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

I take my dog out to poop and she won't poop but she'll try to eat rabbit poop and our lord in Christ we are trying to get poop out of your body not in loving stop

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Eating poo poo is my other dog's favorite thing in the world :mad: And apparently so many people in my neighborhood don't clean up after their dogs.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Lady is a big fan of poop as well, and it usually isn't a problem in the neighborhood, but now that the weather's turned we let our cat in the (fenced) backyard. He sometimes poops out there, and we can always tell because when we let Lady out afterwards she bolts for it and noms it up.

She also is a big fan of rolling in anything stinky, but I think that's extremely common (as opposed to the poop munching, which I think is just pretty common).

Filthy animal, we love her to bits.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Ahboo was a connoisseur of poop when he was around. His own, other dogs, he didn't care.

Fortunately, Kepler doesn't share his "uncle's" love for eating his own poop, or (as far as I can tell) poop from other dogs. But when rabbits cruise through our backyard, Keps will devour their poop like Pac-Man running a maze.

Dogs are weird and gross.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
Yeah ours won't eat his poop or other dogs poop, but he will eat rabbit poop in the yard. His favorite is goose poop though. We have a local trail that goes along the river and geese hang out there so much that the trail gets covered in goose poop in some places, and it's a nightmare to get through. Leaveitleaveitleaveitleaveit

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Bonnie doesn't seem to be interested in the goose poo poo in the park, nor the horse poo poo in the forest when we go for a hike. Just dogs, excluding her own & her step sister's :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

My Benni doesn't eat poop (although she tries to smell all the poop she finds on our walks) but does try to rub herself on bird poop (and sometimes randomly in the grass, but I assume there's some nasty stuff in there too).