Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Played the Nightmare Reaper demo it's just lo-fi Shadow Warrior 2 lol. Anyway not much of a fan and I still hate everything about the game's visuals. Hate its blocky and bloomy graphics. Hate the lovely procgen levels (and even then I saw two sections that were identical almost back to back.) Hate the indistinct monster blobs. Hate that every single thing explodes into coins and powerups, obfuscating a game that already looks like it was smeared with vaseline. Hate the ugly minigames.

By far its biggest success is its number and variety of weapons, though again that's all from a gameplay perspective because even those sprites are kinda meh. But they seem fun to use, was a fan of the one that gave me power-kicks, or the one that shotguns out shurikens, or the various magic books. But yeah, all told I'll be taking a pass on this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1328350/Turbo_Overkill/ (April 22nd)

Apogee returns as a publisher to bring you Trigger Happy's Turbo Overkill, a cross between Duke Nukem 3D and cyberpunk parkour, cranked up to 11 because, well it's in the title.

This looks extremely :hellyeah: Sad to see it's not actually out for a few more weeks! I've got the afternoon off from work and this looked like a great way to waste it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Sab669 posted:

This looks extremely :hellyeah: Sad to see it's not actually out for a few more weeks! I've got the afternoon off from work and this looked like a great way to waste it.

The demo was great.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The demo doesn't seem to be on Steam :(

I'm sure Far Cry 6 is "if you've played any one since 3 or newer and you've played them all" but is it worth $30? humm.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Sab669 posted:

I'm sure Far Cry 6 is "if you've played any one since 3 or newer and you've played them all" but is it worth $30? humm.

I found it aggressively unfun with the level scaling/bullet sponging.
Not that I mind RPG stuff in non-RPG games by any means but a headshot is a fuckin' headshot, Far Cry

It's also tonally all over the goddamn place and the environments feel very bland

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

So I'm on the 2nd character in Weird West. Am I able to get back all the stuff I gave to Sheriff Albright when she was Bell's companion or is that gone? I can't recruit her at her farm

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

The 7th Guest posted:

A story platformer published by, of all publishers, Sunsoft??? I didn't even know Sunsoft still existed! Anyway, you use a drum to summon spirits that help you navigate the world and protect yourself from enemies. It looks like there might be combat, but of the "my spirits will take care of this" variety rather than you fighting directly.

Yeah, Sunsoft still exists, but they pretty much fell off the radar after some bigwig apparently blew the company's finances on a golf course or something. As far as I understand it, they pretty much fell into a pit of mobile and pachinko for years, occasionally clawing out to give the OK on a re-release or publishing some random game.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
re: Crystal Project, good to know there's eventually a fast travel and better movement options. I spent a couple of hours trying to make any sort of progress and I'm not quite understanding the exploration loop. Money is not super abundant so far and the only way to replenish MP and HP is outside of battle (no item command so I assume there's either a job for that or it's just a design choice), at inns or when you get killed. So it seems you're expected to wipe at a boss to get all the resources you lost exploring back? It's weird. I found a slime boss that seemed like progress and it immediately drained two of my party members out of MP and stunlocked the others to death.

It feels funny to say this as someone who thinks Elden Ring is an instant classic but the exploration in Crystal Project may be a little TOO aimless :v: I really want to like this game (FF5 and FFT are my favorite FF games because of the job system!) but I think I'm gonna have to wait till someone makes a game progress guide or something, it's frustrating to run around aimlessly for half an hour and then realize this is not where you needed to go, better backtrack and grind some more/try to guess where the game wants you to go.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Sab669 posted:

The most damning thing I can say about FC6 is that it is just ok. It's not horrible, but it's also not incredible either.

I agree with Good Soldier Svejk regarding the RPG elements. I didn't really like that aspect of it, and the fact that they removed the skill unlock system and instead put the skills on gear.

I also found the Supremo gimmick to be rather boring, and made worse with the fact that the game really wants you to like it, with the main guerrilla NPC calling you every now and asking when you'll come to buy more upgrades for it.

The weapon upgrades/crafting stuff I found annoying since you were artificially limited. Suppressors that you crafted can only suppress a few shots before it overheats and stops working until it cools down. Higher tier versions let you fire more shots before it gets too hot. There were different ammo types you could mod your weapon for (incendiary or armor piercing, for example) but since shortly into the game everyone starts wearing helmets, and armor, you almost had to go with AP rounds or else you were dumping entire mags into enemies.

Lastly, I found the gameplay loop to be bland. You go to one of 3 areas, do missions for the area's dominating group to gain their trust and then you get it and move to the next one. There are checkpoints to capture and SAM sites to destroy, but I quickly discovered an easy way to clear both. For checkpoints, I sniped everyone and then blew up the propaganda sign, and for SAM sites, I would find somewhere that gave me LOS to the SAM and just shot a grenade at it. There were caches of uranium to collect, but it's only used for unlocking the Supremo weapons and upgrades, so I ultimately didn't care to get them.

Ultimately, it's just an OK game. It doesn't do anything too offensive, despite my complaints above, but it doesn't really stand out either. It's a Far Cry game, and if you've got the itch for it, then this will give you your fix. $30 isn't a bad price for this game.

If you haven't played any since 3 however, I'd probably recommend playing 5 instead since it just felt better to play, imo. Also you could whack people over the head with shovels.

Velocity Raptor fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 4, 2022

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Jimbot posted:

I'm excited! Sounds like Curse is gonna get done dirty but more Monkey Island is a good thing.

FWIW Ron Gilbert did tweet this:

https://twitter.com/grumpygamer/status/1511022135191384067

I liked Curse (The demo for it in one of those Lucasarts collection packs is what got me into those games, frankly), but I am fine with keeping Murray and jettisoning most everything else, for the most part. Escape can go in the garbage where it belongs. Haven't played enough of Tales to make a judgement call on that.

Anyway, I am getting the semi-annual urge to play XCOM2 again and maybe beat it this time (but I likely will not). One question as I try to get into it; do I need to keep anything in mind in order to have a successful run on Normal, or will I be good if I beat most of my missions and keep progressing with research and stuff?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Monkey Island Multiverse. The MIM for short.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

tales wasn't bad by any measure but it was also fairly bland and charmless and felt more like a weird knock off than an actual monkey island game. never played escape.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Not that I mind RPG stuff in non-RPG games by any means but a headshot is a fuckin' headshot, Far Cry

It's also tonally all over the goddamn place and the environments feel very bland

I was able to oneshot enemies with headshots from the start of the game to the end with a souped up pistol

It is probably the easiest far cry ever in terms of gameplay though. Spend the 30 bucks on two months of ubisoft+ and you will have more than enough time to finish far cry and enjoy something else as well

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

I've used it at full draw on an unaware opponent and it was still pretty poo poo. Quiet doesn't help if it won't kill.

This is the problem I have with them.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Velocity Raptor posted:

The most damning thing I can say about FC6 is that it is just ok. It's not horrible, but it's also not incredible either.

I agree with Good Soldier Svejk regarding the RPG elements. I didn't really like that aspect of it, and the fact that they removed the skill unlock system and instead put the skills on gear.

I also found the Supremo gimmick to be rather boring, and made worse with the fact that the game really wants you to like it, with the main guerrilla NPC calling you every now and asking when you'll come to buy more upgrades for it.

The weapon upgrades/crafting stuff I found annoying since you were artificially limited. Suppressors that you crafted can only suppress a few shots before it overheats and stops working until it cools down. Higher tier versions let you fire more shots before it gets too hot. There were different ammo types you could mod your weapon for (incendiary or armor piercing, for example) but since shortly into the game everyone starts wearing helmets, and armor, you almost had to go with AP rounds or else you were dumping entire mags into enemies.

Lastly, I found the gameplay loop to be bland. You go to one of 3 areas, do missions for the area's dominating group to gain their trust and then you get it and move to the next one. There are checkpoints to capture and SAM sites to destroy, but I quickly discovered an easy way to clear both. For checkpoints, I sniped everyone and then blew up the propaganda sign, and for SAM sites, I would find somewhere that gave me LOS to the SAM and just shot a grenade at it. There were caches of uranium to collect, but it's only used for unlocking the Supremo weapons and upgrades, so I ultimately didn't care to get them.

Ultimately, it's just an OK game. It doesn't do anything too offensive, despite my complaints above, but it doesn't really stand out either. It's a Far Cry game, and if you've got the itch for it, then this will give you your fix. $30 isn't a bad price for this game.

If you haven't played any since 3 however, I'd probably recommend playing 5 instead since it just felt better to play, imo. Also you could whack people over the head with shovels.

Mmmm guess I'll pass.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Ubisoft is the ultimate company for gamers with limited time because you can play a single game in the series and effectively have played all of them because they're all the same

like if you played fc4 congrats, you also played 3, 5, and 6. same with rear end Creed. You play Odyssey? good work you've played Origins and Valhalla.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.

Unlucky7 posted:

Anyway, I am getting the semi-annual urge to play XCOM2 again and maybe beat it this time (but I likely will not). One question as I try to get into it; do I need to keep anything in mind in order to have a successful run on Normal, or will I be good if I beat most of my missions and keep progressing with research and stuff?

If you're consistently beating missions you should be good on the campaign! One thing to keep in mind is that it's always tempting to build the stuff that upgrades your troops, but if you're not aggressively expanding the resistance network you might lose the strategic game anyway.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Ripper Swarm posted:

If you're consistently beating missions you should be good on the campaign! One thing to keep in mind is that it's always tempting to build the stuff that upgrades your troops, but if you're not aggressively expanding the resistance network you might lose the strategic game anyway.

You can ignore the resistance layer early on somewhat, but that means you'll have to play hard catchup later.
The doomclock is more or less cosmetic, since there's normally something you can do to get a pip and reset it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

You can ignore the resistance layer early on somewhat, but that means you'll have to play hard catchup later.
The doomclock is more or less cosmetic, since there's normally something you can do to get a pip and reset it.

I forget if it applies to the base game as well as WotC but at least in WotC that is no longer the case. If you fill the bar and get the countdown timer getting a pip back doesn’t reset the full clock and leaves you with whatever time was left when you got the pip. So if you start the clock one time and let it go down to 7 days left to completion before you stop it the next time it starts it will begin at 7 days. I think there’s a minimum time it resets to, so if you stop the clock with 1 hour left it’ll reset back to 2 days or something, but you can’t do a full reset any more so a bad turn that restarts the clock when you don’t have much time left can end a run.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Kibayasu posted:

I forget if it applies to the base game as well as WotC but at least in WotC that is no longer the case. If you fill the bar and get the countdown timer getting a pip back doesn’t reset the full clock and leaves you with whatever time was left when you got the pip. So if you start the clock one time and let it go down to 7 days left to completion before you stop it the next time it starts it will begin at 7 days. I think there’s a minimum time it resets to, so if you stop the clock with 1 hour left it’ll reset back to 2 days or something, but you can’t do a full reset any more so a bad turn that restarts the clock when you don’t have much time left can end a run.

Ah, I had heard about cheesing the doom counter but did not hear that WotC removed this. Good to know.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
ToMI would have been worse than EfMI if Monkey Kombat (and the swamp puzzle) didn't exist

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

Well poo poo I didn't know about that, and I actually beat WotC. How interesting.
In that case, you should prioritize resistance comms, the medbay, and whatever it is that gives you the faction cards.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

whatever it is that gives you the faction cards.

Resistance Ring

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Kibayasu posted:

WotC makes getting Avatar Project reductions so easy I never went into overtime on it, I guess.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
Wandersong is a bit of an odd duck; the game is more like a walking sim with some very forgiving rhythm/QTE segments (so forgiving I'm not actually sure you can fail). There's some platforming and puzzles but they're not particularly well designed or challenging.

The tone is a bit all over the place, with some kind of maudlin and serious parts, but also dances to collect and a lot of 'wacky' characters. There are world ending cosmic threats, magical kingdoms with monsters, but also one part has you essentially salting a factory to unionise it, and then the boss hears the workers issues and just... agrees to change with no pushback.

It definitely has its own kind of cute charm, but it's kind of biting off more than it can chew. Feels like the devs should have stuck closer to the basic singing and dancing mechanics and made a more focused game.

I just got up to the warring kingdoms bit, with all indications being that I'm 60-75% of the way through, and I just don't think I care enough to stick with it.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Yet another The Planet Crafter impression.

Don't pick it up unless you're 100% sure you're fine playing with a proof of concept toy than a game. There's a lot of mechanics which feel like holdovers until something better is designed, and I wouldn't be surprised if the fundamental loops change drastically by the time the game is finished. I put about 5 and a half hours into it and I think I might shelve it for now and return it it next year or something. I think its heading in the right direction. I like the premise a lot and the visual feedback of the planet changing is incredibly nice. Also when it rains it looks like the sky is jizzing. I never saw rain this poorly done before.

Really hoping the devs carry this to the finish line.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
RE: XCOM2

Yeah, not even past the first month and I am thinking of restarting, though granted it is more so that I wasn't diligent about saving and suddenly, I find myself weeks prior to where I wanted to restart. :v:

In any case I wanted to kind of redo the techs I started with and try to get Resistance Comms earlier.

I do have one question: I have WOTC and if I do not turn on the Lost and the Abandoned mission, will the Chosen rival always appear in that first end of month terror mission (Which is where I got my teeth kicked in and wanted a mulligan, up until I realized my save situation)?

As an aside, my man Warlock is out here cutting a promo like he is on WWE.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

I do have one question: I have WOTC and if I do not turn on the Lost and the Abandoned mission, will the Chosen rival always appear in that first end of month terror mission (Which is where I got my teeth kicked in and wanted a mulligan, up until I realized my save situation)?

correct. I had success prioritizing guerilla tactics center first to rush squad size 5 before that mission.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
Yeah, I'm putting Weird West on hold for a month to wait for some patches. You can play around the bugs but eh...

I renewed my gamepass subscription for this, but I just noticed psychonauts 2 on there. :cool:

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Speaking of Gamepass, pretty good first half of the month. Especially if you want some narrative adventury games.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I wish they would just put the Show on PC instead of doing this streaming poo poo :mad:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Hypnospace Odyssey sequel (or something like it) announcement stream incoming:

https://twitter.com/_tendershoot/status/1511326956490473477?s=21&t=viXPD97oAwXcjrtGVM8Kcw

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256880792/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1649170340

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

goferchan posted:

Hypnospace Odyssey sequel (or something like it) announcement stream incoming:

https://twitter.com/jaytholen/status/1511363913547407365

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bZRPUTNJBc

They're also doing an FPS

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

No less than three emails from humble choice upon canceling - while I want Destroy All Humans I don't want it for the full choice price, and I either have or don't want the rest of the choices.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

StrixNebulosa posted:

No less than three emails from humble choice upon canceling - while I want Destroy All Humans I don't want it for the full choice price, and I either have or don't want the rest of the choices.

Thanks for the reminder

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

explosivo posted:

I wish they would just put the Show on PC instead of doing this streaming poo poo :mad:

I assume its cause a port takes time but uh can I play it streaming on my PC? I've never used xbox cloud before but I put tons of hours into that game when it was PS exclusive

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Batting is hard enough in The Show, I can't imagine playing it through a streaming service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
It's literally the reason I was a PS guy around the time of PS3 (which means I will be one forever because all my rock band dlc is on there) but I don't have a PS4 or 5 because I wasn't in a position to afford them, so I'll give it a shot in any case