Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Forge's depowering gun is a permanent solution, but there are temporary depowering gizmos floating about all over the place that still could work if you killed the clone right afterward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Maduo posted:

Forge's depowering gun is a permanent solution, but there are temporary depowering gizmos floating about all over the place that still could work if you killed the clone right afterward.

Yeah, there's like collars and dampening fields and poo poo that's shown up in the past. But also Forge's gun isn't permanent either. Look at Storm.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, there's like collars and dampening fields and poo poo that's shown up in the past. But also Forge's gun isn't permanent either. Look at Storm.

To be fair, Storm had to get turned into a kid and, I guess, re-undergo the activation of her x-gene to get her powers back. It's definitely not permanent but it's closer than most depowering devices!

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
He could always just whip up a clone of Leech or one of the other power-dampening mutants.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's unclear if temporarily suppressing moira's power would work or if it needs to be removed entirely. i doubt even moira would know, since she wasn't inclined to test it.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Android Blues posted:

To be fair, Storm had to get turned into a kid and, I guess, re-undergo the activation of her x-gene to get her powers back. It's definitely not permanent but it's closer than most depowering devices!

I forget how, but she got them back before that I think. Life death part two maybe?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Angry Salami posted:

He could always just whip up a clone of Leech or one of the other power-dampening mutants.

This raises an important question: where the gently caress have Leech and Artie been? They'd better not still be with the Richardses, I demand the best mutant moppets be given a kickass treehouse or something on Krakoa.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

I forget how, but she got them back before that I think. Life death part two maybe?

forge managed to reverse it during fall of the mutants

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

rantmo posted:

This raises an important question: where the gently caress have Leech and Artie been? They'd better not still be with the Richardses, I demand the best mutant moppets be given a kickass treehouse or something on Krakoa.

They got name- dropped in the Cable series as contestants in The Quarry, which is where mutants go for sparring matches (usually friendly) that an audience can also bet on.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I reaaaaally wanna know what Dazzler and Jubes fought about.

And Wolfsbane vs Pyro is also pretty out there.

C'mon Marvel, use that Unlimited scrolling comics thingy to cover these or something.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Whoa, kinda crazy to see Firestar having anything to do with Krakoa.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Saoshyant posted:

I reaaaaally wanna know what Dazzler and Jubes fought about.

And Wolfsbane vs Pyro is also pretty out there.

C'mon Marvel, use that Unlimited scrolling comics thingy to cover these or something.

I imagine it was just for fun-- a lot of these matches seem less based on personal beef and more based on "hey, we have kind of similar powers, let's tussle"

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Also love nightcrawler and blink drawing.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

rantmo posted:

Whoa, kinda crazy to see Firestar having anything to do with Krakoa.

Would be funny if part of the reason she turned down citizenship was getting beat by Magma on her initial visit. She is one of the candidates for the X-Men at this years Gala, so if she wins maybe we'll get a flashback. This was written by Duggan, so it's not entirely unlikely.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

glitchwraith posted:

Would be funny if part of the reason she turned down citizenship was getting beat by Magma on her initial visit. She is one of the candidates for the X-Men at this years Gala, so if she wins maybe we'll get a flashback. This was written by Duggan, so it's not entirely unlikely.

She'll join the X-Men but only if the Five resurrect Butter Rum.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

glitchwraith posted:

They got name- dropped in the Cable series as contestants in The Quarry, which is where mutants go for sparring matches (usually friendly) that an audience can also bet on.

I wonder what constitutes a DQ in The Quarry? I assume Gorgon and Magik were already using swords so it's not like folding chair would be outlawed. Low blow?

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
Took him to Limbo and had her demons work him over is my guess.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I wonder what constitutes a DQ in The Quarry? I assume Gorgon and Magik were already using swords so it's not like folding chair would be outlawed. Low blow?

Must have been fairly egregious whatever it was, given that Cable brought a gun to his fight with Logan.

GOD IS BED posted:

Took him to Limbo and had her demons work him over is my guess.

I like this theory.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

X-Men Red was pretty good. I just kind of want Proudstar to beat everybody up.

Marauders was... kinda eh.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
X-Men Red is off to a good start, X-Men Unlimited was great, the X-Force Annual was surprisingly enjoyable, and X-Force was funny both intentionally and unintentionally. Good week for X books! Hopefully Marauders doesn't ruin the streak!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
even aside from nova, i don't really like the team in marauders.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I think I liked Red more than Immortal, just because it's got more characters that I like

In fact, I like basically everyone on the roster page minus Vulcan, PLUS the hot character find of 2022, The Human Arakki

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Question about Marauders: When did we find out Kate's dad died on Genosha, and what was he even doing there?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Endless Mike posted:

Question about Marauders: When did we find out Kate's dad died on Genosha, and what was he even doing there?

X-men unlimited 36 and he was there to help mutants

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 6, 2022

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Did I seriously just forget that Ewing was writing Sunspot again after USAvengers? I loved him there, and I am ready for the keikaku master to come back. Is it too much to hope he'll use some of his old connections? For goodness sake, the guy once owned AIM, Roberto, please just call Songbird. Ewing plz write Songbird, plz save my waifu from comic limbo. And I especially love that Roberto knows Brand is up to some poo poo. Echoing everyone's sentiment that X-Men Red is fantastic.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Cable had the burn of the century on Thunderbird.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
loved the student/teacher dynamic between Sunspot and Magneto. great first issue, looking forward to more of it.

i thought marauders was interesting, i liked the characters and how they were written but the plot didn't really grab me.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
Hank is getting quite the beer belly. Beast? More like Bear amiright :dumbrim:

Edit: What is the story by Magneto going by Erik amd Max?

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Edit: ^^ magneto went by Erik Magnus, maximus etc for a while he's had a few names and I forget them all he is also " master of magnet"

Whoever said Sinister save scumming is totally right - remind me of playing old Sierra Online "* Quest" games

Also Brand poking Beast's eye hole.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 7, 2022

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

quote:

Notable aliases:
Magnus,[2] Erik Lehnsherr,[3] White King[4] (later Grey King[5]) of the Hellfire Club, Michael Xavier,[6] Erik the Red, Henryk Gurzsky,[7] White Pilgrim

his latest real name is max eisenhardt, apparently.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

He was born as Max Eisenhardt and picked up a new identity, Erik Lehnsherr, after World War II when he was married to Magda.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I knew I got some of that wrong, well wasn't he also xorn? Or did that get reconned?

vv: thank you

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 7, 2022

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

It's mostly just retcons. iirc he went by Magnus at first and had no explicit background in the 60s, and only got the holocaust survivor background where he was also long time friends with Charles in the 80s under Claremont, but never had his heritage explicitly confirmed. Then in the 90s they wanted to shift him back towards being a supervillain (and allegedly thought having a Jewish supervillain was A Bad Look) and came up with the Erik Lehnsherr name and gave him an implied Romani background (that they thought this was better is also A Bad Look.)

He got a mini in 2008ish? 2009? that revealed his birth name as Max Eisenhardt and that he is in fact Jewish for realsies, but he's consciously chosen to go by Erik since then and people mostly respect that. afaik this is one of the few times the Max name has come up and is probably a Significant Character Moment that he's introducing himself to someone as such.

e: all the Xorn stuff was immediately retconned, yes

Abroham Lincoln fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Apr 7, 2022

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Abroham Lincoln posted:

afaik this is one of the few times the Max name has come up and is probably a Significant Character Moment that he's introducing himself to someone as such.

The only other time I can recall Max being spoken is maybe in the Magneto solo from about 10 years back. It really does seem like a big shift, especially that he's introducing himself freely as Max and not just being called by that name.

Marauders was iffy. I love X-Men space stuff in theory, but a lot of it never seems to work. The Hickman story with the New Mutants when that book first launched was pretty solid, but this one's doing nothing for me. I quite liked the original cast and premise of Marauders, and while I'm excited that Tempo is getting something to do, there was a lot of buildup in this first issue and not a lot of endearing me to the characters. Contrast with X-Men Red, which both sets up the thrust of the series and is chock full of development for five or six different characters.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

Rochallor posted:

The only other time I can recall Max being spoken is maybe in the Magneto solo from about 10 years back. It really does seem like a big shift, especially that he's introducing himself freely as Max and not just being called by that name.

Was that the run that introduced his black suit after AvX and Scott's totally awesome arms across the chest "X" era?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

Cable had the burn of the century on Thunderbird.

what makes it really funny is that john hates the summers family in general for what james went through. but actually, he should hate cable specifically.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Was that the run that introduced his black suit after AvX and Scott's totally awesome arms across the chest "X" era?

It was concurrent with the Bendis X-Men stuff, yeah. Seem to remember it being pretty good but like all books in that era it got derailed by crossover after crossover.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

what makes it really funny is that john hates the summers family in general for what james went through. but actually, he should hate cable specifically.

I think maybe they were thinking of X-Force being the Xavier hit squad under Cyclop's tenure.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I really liked Marauders 'cuz I thought Orlando's Cassandra Nova was hilarious. :allears: I'm so glad they're following up on the previous X-Men: Red resolution.

As for the current X-Men: Red, I liked it too, and Storm is great here, though I find it a little too convenient that everyone just sort of very conveniently feels, or senses, somehow, that Brand is up to no good, despite the fact that they really shouldn't know anything about that. Yes yes I realize Roberto is just somehow awesome somehow and so forth, but it smacks a little bit of characters knowing things because they were able to get their hands on a copy of the script. For another book.

Speaking of Brand, I actually quite liked her scene with Beast over in X-Force; between this and Immortal X-Men last week I'm really glad writers are remembering that they used to be a thing. They're, let's face it, basically two completely different characters from when they last interacted in very dysfunctional ways, but the dysfunction of it was kinda charming here. Aw yea Abby, you thirst for Henry's eye-hole. That's how they roll.

Speaking of Beast though...what in the flying fat gently caress, yo? What exactly is the long term plan for the character, here? How complete degenerate and off-the-rails is he going to get before anyone else in the room is like, dude nah, this is actually just really degenerate and off-the-rails and doesn't actually help anything? I feel like Percy thinks he's doing some sort of interesting entertaining thing but mostly it's just really unsubtle and therefore irritating.

All in all though, a great crop of X-books between this week and last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

BrianWilly posted:

I really liked Marauders 'cuz I thought Orlando's Cassandra Nova was hilarious. :allears: I'm so glad they're following up on the previous X-Men: Red resolution.

It does follow from X-Men Red, but it could equally follow from the end of New X-Men which had the same resolution for the character (which everybody ignored, and I'm still salty about that).

I like the way she's written but there's something about Cassandra Nova where she's such a product of that Morrison run that she just looks wrong when she's not being drawn by Frank Quitely.