Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Kazzah posted:

Wait, so is there any point to having more than the minimum number of pastures? I figured extra ones would increase the farm's productivity beyond 100%, but it seems like it does nothing except lose money.

Pretty much, yeah. Tractors and some trade union items will increase productivity while also increasing the required number of modules for farms but outside of that you will not get any benefit from overbuilding modules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Kazzah posted:

Wait, so is there any point to having more than the minimum number of pastures? I figured extra ones would increase the farm's productivity beyond 100%, but it seems like it does nothing except lose money.

And don’t forget to eliminate extra farms after you’ve installed tractors.

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Apr 1, 2022

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

What do you mean? The tractors actually increase how big the farm is. The tractor barn bonus is +50% tiles, +200% productivity +1 output every 3rd cycle and -50% work force. So it's larger but basically running at 400% production and half crew so the trade is massively in your favor and reduce the overall amount of land you need dramatically.

Or do you mean delete the extra farms once you mechanize the first few?

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Apr 1, 2022

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Alkydere posted:

What do you mean? The tractors actually increase how big the farm is. The tractor barn bonus is +50% tiles, +200% productivity +1 output every 3rd cycle and -50% work force. So it's larger but basically running at 400% production and half crew so the trade is massively in your favor and reduce the overall amount of land you need dramatically.

Or do you mean delete the extra farms once you mechanize the first few?

Yes. Otherwise you’re overproducing. Edited comment for clarity.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I was joking. I do use all the coal mines I have available, I’ve just never really thought to build charcoal kilns and made up the difference with docklands. With the negative attraction/pollution and how much space they take up I think I just sort of wrote them off, but I’ll def. keep an eye out for the right trade union people and try them out on a production island now.
The kiln thing for me is really about the free cotton and rubber kicks coming out of a fast moving kiln ring. A modest 5 kiln ring electrified and around a trade union (Ursula Green, Miss Rodriguez & park ranger) screams along at 320% and knocks out 32 coal, 8 cotton and about 6-7 rubber per minute. For comparison, in the ~25 minute time it takes for a normal cargo ship to get to and from the New World, that's about 200 cotton and 162 rubber, an influence free cargo ship's worth of cotton and rubber dumped directly into island storage, using OW land instead of NW. With Ursula in the TU, each kiln actually nets you +3 attractiveness (not that I care because I always build these rings on industrial hellhole islands anyway). Just one of these rings can supply your Arctic, and you'll probably still have to sell off some of the excess coal just to keep the cotton and rubber rolling in.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Got a dumb question about needs. Trying to upgrade my farmers and I'm always short fish.

According to the ledger I'm using 10 and producing 12,but all my houses seem to be stuck around 95%.

Should I be not trusting the ledger and always over producing a bit?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Demon_Corsair posted:

Got a dumb question about needs. Trying to upgrade my farmers and I'm always short fish.

According to the ledger I'm using 10 and producing 12,but all my houses seem to be stuck around 95%.

What could be happening is that your population is right at the point where it is occasionally not getting the need met, maybe the fish is taking a little while to get from the wharf to a warehouse, and then population is declining ever so slightly because of it and it is now stuck in a bad harmonic.

So, yeah, build another fisher hut, or you can increase the work hours on the fishing hut ever so slightly if you need just a tad more.

The ledger does not take into account time it takes to move goods around and any bottlenecks there. So if the ledger says you are producing 10 and need 10 you will be fine if you have a stockpile that can give the supply chain some elasticity. If you have no stockpile there is no elasticity and you will not be fine. Hopefully that makes some sense?

Shivers
Oct 31, 2011

Demon_Corsair posted:

Do all your farmer homes have full access to a marketplace? If you click on the marketplace, you can see it's range. You can see the range drop off as distance increases.
You can upgrade your roads to brick roads to help increase the range of buildings like marketplaces. If you can't reach certain houses, you need to build another marketplace for coverage.
It can also be that your fishing docks are bottlenecked because they don't have enough drop-off points and so you can technically have 12 production, but you won't benefit from it, because your carts are waiting in line to drop everything off in the warehouse.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

They all had good market coverage, it looks like was just supply bottlenecks. I checked and it was slooowly ticking up, so I just upped production a little bit to clear whatever was causing the slowdown.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Don't delete, turn off! Your population is always going to be increasing and you already spent a bunch of time on layouts!

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

leave it running and sell it off for stuff in ur docklands so you can get more promoted goods and make your docks even bigger

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Agean90 posted:

leave it running and sell it off for stuff in ur docklands so you can get more promoted goods and make your docks even bigger

Is that a dlc? I only have the base game.

Are there any must have dlcs?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

All of them?

Like I think the two weakest DLCs in terms of content are the Anarchist one (adds a new expanding AI NPC who's basically a medium AI with some extra bits) and the Botanical Garden one that adds basically a zoo/museum but for plants (with stronger buffs including adding fertilities).

Everything else cracks the game open in one way or another.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

isn't the Anarchist DLC basically just a pre-order bonus? I got the impression it's not really supposed to be seen like any of the other DLCs.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

More or less. I do love the idea of AI players with their own gimmicks and mechanics, but that's all Dr. Mercier is. So I'm not really upset about it being mainly a pre-order bonus or one of the super-early DLCs.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Demon_Corsair posted:

Is that a dlc? I only have the base game.

Are there any must have dlcs?

I would say Sunken Treasure is a must if you like building big cities. Sunken Treasure gives you access to a new map session that is similar to the old world and has all the same resources and fertilities, but has a humongous land mass for you called Cape Trelawny. I usually make a beeline for Trelawny in my games and it is my "main" island and that can simplify things for me. That DLC is in season 1.

Bright Harvest, a season 2 DLC, allows you to utilize Silos and Tractors to increase ranch and farm output substantially. Silos double the output of a ranch/animal place and only take like a 2x3 block of space. The silo must be in range of a warehouse and must be filled with wheat. 1 wheat farm can feed I think 10 silos. So very powerful on space constrained islands or if you want to minimize the environmental damage of pigs. Tractors are similar; they require fuel from a fuel depot, which requires an oil connection. You build a tractor barn, also 2x3 I think, and now your farms work differently. They require 50% *more* fields, but now use significantly less workers, production is increased by 200%, and you also get a bonus item every 3 collections, so it quadruples (I think) farm output. Very useful for new world crops.

Docklands, a season 3 DLC, allows you to trade any item for most any other item via docklands. You have to trade a lot of the items to get good rate or to unlock all the trade possibilities. This DLC is the best if you see some production chains and want to say "Oh, the hell with that". (As a note do not buy docklands just because you don't want to do canned meat or rum, instead you can hire the "actor" and place them in a town hall, without requiring any expansions).

Each season has one very powerful game changing DLC and then a few others that are interesting. I would argue that you might want to buy a season pass for the one that interests you as opposed to buying just the 3 biggest game changing ones. Some of the side stuff in the seasons adds new maps/sessions or adds powerful end game buildings. Tourist Season allows for some really interesting very late game stuff, along with high life.

Seat of Power is very useful if you are running short on influence and love to make big zoos or museums, which is what I do. The Seat of Power DLC unlocks the palace, a mid to late game item, which gives powerful bonuses. One of those bonuses negates the influence cost of Zoos or Museums. Botanica and the Anarchist are probably the last 2 you should worry about acquiring. I do not like playing with the AIs on, other than pirates, so if you are the same Anarchist is completely useless for you.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I would say Sunken Treasure is a must if you like building big cities. Sunken Treasure gives you access to a new map session that is similar to the old world and has all the same resources and fertilities, but has a humongous land mass for you called Cape Trelawny. I usually make a beeline for Trelawny in my games and it is my "main" island and that can simplify things for me. That DLC is in season 1.

Bright Harvest, a season 2 DLC, allows you to utilize Silos and Tractors to increase ranch and farm output substantially. Silos double the output of a ranch/animal place and only take like a 2x3 block of space. The silo must be in range of a warehouse and must be filled with wheat. 1 wheat farm can feed I think 10 silos. So very powerful on space constrained islands or if you want to minimize the environmental damage of pigs. Tractors are similar; they require fuel from a fuel depot, which requires an oil connection. You build a tractor barn, also 2x3 I think, and now your farms work differently. They require 50% *more* fields, but now use significantly less workers, production is increased by 200%, and you also get a bonus item every 3 collections, so it quadruples (I think) farm output. Very useful for new world crops.

Docklands, a season 3 DLC, allows you to trade any item for most any other item via docklands. You have to trade a lot of the items to get good rate or to unlock all the trade possibilities. This DLC is the best if you see some production chains and want to say "Oh, the hell with that". (As a note do not buy docklands just because you don't want to do canned meat or rum, instead you can hire the "actor" and place them in a town hall, without requiring any expansions).

Each season has one very powerful game changing DLC and then a few others that are interesting. I would argue that you might want to buy a season pass for the one that interests you as opposed to buying just the 3 biggest game changing ones. Some of the side stuff in the seasons adds new maps/sessions or adds powerful end game buildings. Tourist Season allows for some really interesting very late game stuff, along with high life.

Seat of Power is very useful if you are running short on influence and love to make big zoos or museums, which is what I do. The Seat of Power DLC unlocks the palace, a mid to late game item, which gives powerful bonuses. One of those bonuses negates the influence cost of Zoos or Museums. Botanica and the Anarchist are probably the last 2 you should worry about acquiring. I do not like playing with the AIs on, other than pirates, so if you are the same Anarchist is completely useless for you.

Thank you, this is exactly what I needed. Adding a new area feels stressful when I'm still trying to manage the old and new worlds. God I wish I could pause and build.

And I have no idea how I like to play, I've made it most of the way through the campaign and am trying a game of being highly distributed and relying on lots of shipping.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Demon_Corsair posted:

God I wish I could pause and build.
Yes but you’ll most likely find out in a while that it doesn’t really matter.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Yes but you’ll most likely find out in a while that it doesn’t really matter.

Especially with the super slow. The thing is, nothing runs out so it really doesn't matter how fast or slow you are going. If resources ran out then the lack of pause would be a big problem but they don't so just relax and build.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Demon_Corsair posted:

Thank you, this is exactly what I needed. Adding a new area feels stressful when I'm still trying to manage the old and new worlds. God I wish I could pause and build.

And I have no idea how I like to play, I've made it most of the way through the campaign and am trying a game of being highly distributed and relying on lots of shipping.

There's no shame in playing a sandbox game with 0 competitors. Just relax and build and have all the time in the world to build.

Mayveena posted:

Especially with the super slow. The thing is, nothing runs out so it really doesn't matter how fast or slow you are going. If resources ran out then the lack of pause would be a big problem but they don't so just relax and build.

One of the best changes from 2070 to 2205 that was kept was they got rid of resources running out. Oh sure you could always pay cash in 1404 or use a cheap item in 2070 but it was so obnoxious.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

given the influx of new players we should probably update the OP with a summary of what each dlc brings

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I really should try it sometime, but I can’t imagine playing this game without Docklands. I think in many ways it would be a lot more challenging and probably also slower, especially in the mid/late game. Docklands so hugely blows open your production and removes so many limits on what you can do by making raw materials more or less limitless. That coupled with usually playing with 1 star AIs that always ask before settling islands means scarcity isn’t really something I’ve had to confront in Anno.

E: or silos. I don’t use tractors that’s much until the veeery late game, but silos are a lifesaver.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I keep finding myself in a weird supply chain where my bakeries are so efficient I usually need to trade my bread for wheat through the Docklands.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I had the same thing happen with bricks. I got a dude who makes my kilns also make steel beams, so I over produced on bricks to the point where I could simply trade excess bricks away for more clay to make more bricks for steel

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart
Docklands are great, especially for mined resources. In one dock you can pull in something like 8000 ore every 20 minutes, depending how many warehouses you put down. That's 50 electrified iron mines, more than you can find on all islands put together.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I got good results constantly trading windows away, so that my Quartz mines which were boosted to also produce raw gold were always working. The items to do that are available relatively early and cheaply from the Scrap -> crafting system at Old Nate’s in the Cape.

There’s another item which gives pearls from window factories, so you can run very basic high-end luxury production just off of the chains which are giving you the product you trade for everything else.

Champagne is a good Investor-level trade good with this setup since it just uses agricultural products and glass, which you’re already trying to make as much of as possible for the gold ore.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

moosecow333 posted:

I keep finding myself in a weird supply chain where my bakeries are so efficient I usually need to trade my bread for wheat through the Docklands.

I do the same, also my bakeries are a critical steps in my wine and chocolate production.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Do I just have to have a clipper parked at the prison to snap up any good experts that are ther?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

skooma512 posted:

Do I just have to have a clipper parked at the prison to snap up any good experts that are ther?

Yes, this is a thing you should do.

I also like to send soap to the prison in the early game to make money to emaciate experts

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

skooma512 posted:

This is what I use my old clipper fleet for when they start to get replaced with steam ships: if I’ve got no items I really want to ship back after several re-rolls I can just sell the ship and wait for the next obsolete hull to arrive by getting distracted doing something else.

Also if you use the Enbesa DLC you can eventually build the University project and be able to manufacture basically every ship or island item you’ve ever gotten, it allows you to trade time for carefully-planned Trade Union setups.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

My reaction to Docklands is fairly negative. It isn't the undermining of the traditional Anno cross-shipping mechanics that bothers me, rather it's the general thoughtlessness of the implementation. First, they look like poo poo. Why does this invariably brown lump of crap hanging off an island like a cancerous nipple add attractiveness? And far worse: in what universe does this economic system exist? So if I utterly bury the international market in fish, fish then becomes more valuable. What. Why? Why was I just informed by a ruddy-yet-lifeless Australian talking head that I just moved up in the "batting order"? Is that how economics works? After I dump a commodity for a couple hours, shouldn't I have to switch to something else? Shouldn't some of these trading partners send me a request for something in particular sometimes? Have fluctuating needs based on what I do, or who they are? And if the theory is that I "snagged the market" presumably meaning I monopolized a commodity, shouldn't there be more to that than just mindlessly dumping as much as possible of that commodity on an infinite timeline? Nope, my rewards only increase if I do this, for no reason.

It's just a huge missed opportunity. Docklands could have been an engaging trading system, a legitimate trading DLC with well-earned rewards for game-playing. It could have reinvigorated the post-investor money system. Instead we got a $15 cheat button. It really is an island decoration that auto-cheats resources into your storage every 15 minutes, completely oblivious to any conceivable theory of supply and demand. The low maintenance cost, added attractiveness and free almost unlimited harbormaster just make it worse. The Palace DLC was pretty bad but at least it looked nice.

My house rules used to be one docklands per session. But lately I have been experimenting with conquered islands where I build a basic docklands on an island to be mostly farmers doing only farmer poo poo poo poo, trading tier 1 commodities for enough high end resources to support a small group of investors. Nothing in between: just farmers toiling in the fields and investors oppressing them. No DL imports allowed other than investor needs/wants, no imports of any kind from my empire except maybe potatoes. That has at least been challenging, rewarding, and fun, seeing how many manor houses I can support by trading red peppers and hops for coffee and pocket watches.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

quote:

And far worse: in what universe does this economic system exist?

Nothing in between: just farmers toiling in the fields and investors oppressing them

:ironicat:

Jokes aside I'm inclined to agree, it needs to be fleshed out more. Plus I still haven't reached 1000t exported despite playing for like 10 hours on this session.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
You're not wrong and it's been pretty obvious that they've really been stretching for content within the current game limitations for last bit of DLCs.

But I'll still probably buy season 4.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

physeter posted:

Why does this invariably brown lump of crap hanging off an island like a cancerous nipple add attractiveness? And far worse: in what universe does this economic system exist? So if I utterly bury the international market in fish, fish then becomes more valuable. What. Why?
I do really wish you could break up your docklands into smaller, more spread out bits and still get the attractiveness bonus, or just get rid of the attractiveness bonus altogether. Like you say, it doesn’t really make sense for them to give attractiveness anyway.

As broken as docklands is, it does sort of model the trick Britain esp. pulled in the 19th century where they sold tons of manufactured goods for basic commodities like wheat and and lumber. I think that idea of competitive advantage is sort of what docklands and the tier system is aiming at emulating. If you are incredibly good at making sewing machines and not very efficient at growing wheat, it makes most sense to make a fuckton of sewing machines and trade them for wheat. That idea is pretty much the basis for 19th C Liberal, free trade economics.

I think the tier system where exporting more fish makes your fish more valuable vaguely emulates this kind of competitive advantage, but it does sort of assume unlimited worldwide demand? If you’re exporting tons of fish, presumably you’ve figured out how to produce your fish cheaper than the rest of the world, so the labor required to produce 1 ton of your fish has more purchasing power in an export market than the (more) labor it takes a slower person to produce 1 ton of fish?

But being maybe vaguely grounded in some historical reality doesn’t make it any less broken.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

The not-so-concealed colonial aspect of Anno 1800 is one of my favorite parts of the game. Sure obrero lady, here's your beer, I'll be taking your oil now. Yes, all of it. That's the bliss that comes from progress. The concept of using DL to crush the world under the weight of my exports is great, but without a simulated market to engage with, there's no real gameplay. They could have expanded the expedition system with new missions to open trade routes and secure contracts, but that doesn't happen. Or how about a roving pirate fleet that grows as my exports increase, the refugees of my callous economic policy, entering the Old World and attacking my docklands directly? That would have been amazing, requiring the player to either maintain a defensive fleet or invest in turrets. I'd have to seriously consider whether building a docklands installation on the outskirts of a session map is something I can afford to do. Never happens. It's just a mechanic where some dude takes away my actual garbage and gives me goodies every 15 minutes. Demand is unlimited, consequences are zero, and it's shame because it clearly could have been so much more, even working within the bounds of resources already in the game.

Anyway, my mini DLC reviews:

The High Life: A completely tone deaf DLC in that it is more suited for Anno 1900 than 1800, but I actually quite like it and think it does a lot with the game's resources. If you like spinning plates (you know you do), this is your jam.

Tourist Season: Worth getting. The gameplay meat here is the overlapping needs buffs from food venues that make huge investor cities manageable. The sole existing skin for the hotel is an atrocity. They don't do nearly enough with the concept, but it's fun and not overpowered at all, which I appreciate.

Land of Lions: A gorgeous DLC with its own huge unique session map. I like or love everything about this expansion. Implementation of scholars is well-balanced, and the main quest is huge and well-designed. The background lore is subtle, working well as glimpse into a wider world outside the concerns of the base game. And given the timing of the release, I expected the African DLC to Anno 1800 to be a Wakanda ripoff or loaded with fatuous virtue signaling. Instead it was nuanced, wacky, and legitimately fun.

Golden Harvest: A well-dressed buff machine for farms and livestock pens. Not much really, but well-implemented and balanced.

Seat of Power: Bad. Overpowered and only one skin for the most powerful building you can make. Of the palace policies, most are just obvious choices really. Nearly the entire maritime line of policies is superseded by Docklands anyway. A poor and lifeless DLC, especially considering how awesome the Queen is to interact with when she's around in other DLCs. This could have been more and less at the same time.

The Passage: Makes my top ten DLCs of all PC gaming. I just love everything about this one. The music, the environment, the challenge, the cannibalism. Everything about this DLC is hard, lonely, and isolating. The devs' ability to squeeze that much character into a game that plays like this one was really impressive to me. From the relentless butchering of seals and whales, to the questionable nature of the entire settlement, this is kind of a morose loving DLC that I could not get enough of. "I hope we do no harm to the Arctic by warming it." Me too, plucky explorer girl. Me too.

Botanica: I always play with it, but the buffs are crap and the devs never added more sets so it feels incomplete. Worth getting but ultimately rather unloveable.

Sunken Treasures: As said above, a giant landmass to settle on. A giant landmass which lacks much in the way of flat space, which is incredibly annoying. I do like Old Nate and building a true Crown Falls metropolis is a grand task every Anno player should undertake at least once.

The Anarchist: I actually love playing with the hapless Hugo, but I'm in the minority.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

My favorite dlc is definitely land of lion, you don't see a lot of Africa in video games and helping the emperor of Not!Ethiopia really had the devs start pushing what they can do with missions in game. I love looking over old texts so I can catch a bunch of nuns in a gotcha actually, it's my poo poo

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Land of Lions is amazing because it just oozes charm on so many levels. A truly beautiful region, and one of the mechanics is basically taking 1404's Noira mechanics and making them not suck.

I love the Tourist Season stuff, I do agree that the hotels could have used a few spare models.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

physeter posted:

The High Life: A completely tone deaf DLC in that it is more suited for Anno 1900 than 1800,
Anno 1800 includes Anno 19XX because there can't be an Anno 19XX because of naming convention overflow.

Or so I like to think, anyway.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Anno 900 might be interesting, but yeah not Anno 1900

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Anno 1377BC

Trade around the Mediterranean and fend off attacks by the sea people, which you could have a hand in creating. Questline with Ea-nasir to make him stop shipping bad copper.

Fake edit: Does anyone have a savegame with a completed skyscaper? I want to unlock the characters but my current game feels like it's stalling after I got to Engineers.