Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

hobbez posted:

I’m not that bad I swear

Avoiding becoming (too much of) a yuppie is a continual struggle. We must not give in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Pacific northwest, babyyyyy

We export all our wood and have a terrible ratio of software developers to blue collar workers

My kitchen + 2.5 bathroom remodel is going to approach $400k

I can’t wait to see how expensive home ownership in the Greater Boston area is. :shepface:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

$28k for three 85 foot lengths, and two gates!

I’m pretty sure I could get a local TX company to drive to Oregon and install that fence for less than that. That’s insane. That’s like 9k or so here.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Apr 4, 2022

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

We export all our wood and have a terrible ratio of software developers to blue collar workers

This isn't the bwm thread

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Not sure if I'm allowed to post here because I'm technically renting but I'm pretty happy with how this weekend's shelving project turned out:

Took about 50% longer than I planned for, and an additional 2 trips to Menard's than I had planned on, but that's how these things go I guess!

Put about 1000% more effort into tip-proofing this than anything I ever have before in my life and I'm reasonably sure that the only thing that will bring 'em down is the tornado that demolishes the building.

Edit: I'll clean up the cables later, my feet hurt

Magicaljesus
Oct 18, 2006

Have you ever done this trick before?

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

$28k for three 85 foot lengths, and two gates!

Is this a quote for specialty sequoia harvested from the General Sherman or something? This can’t be a regular fence.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Magicaljesus posted:

Is this a quote for specialty sequoia harvested from the General Sherman or something? This can’t be a regular fence.

Yeah, this sounds a bit like the guy who quoted me $60,000 for re-siding my 1,600 sq. ft house. Gave me the estimate as a courtesy, but the implication was "I do not want this job."

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

This Machine Kills Fascists
We're working out the details of finishing our basement in our house. The entire basement is ~1700 sqft, but a small portion of that is going to stay unfinished to be a mechanical room and storage, I estimate probably 1400 - 1500 sqft of finished space.

This is a walk out basement, that is unfinished other than a few things (it has fiberglass insulation on the wood framed walk out part, it has HVAC ran already). From what I can tell talking to the contractors we've had out, there's nothing particularly hard about what we're doing. The PO and myself were careful to ensure that anything that sat below the joists all went down a central area so they could all be contained within a single sofit, there's no existing finish work or structure that needs to be removed (other than some very hastily thrown up sheets of drywall that wasn't mudded or taped or anything, as a short term fix to try and keep our cats from eating the fiberglass).

The basement is going to feature:

- LVP flooring through most (or all) of the finished space.
- A Wet Bar (utilizing an under sink pump to get the waste water up into the ceiling where the drain line is)
- A Bathroom with tiled shower (which will require digging up some of the concrete slab to install it, and to run lines into an ejector pump for the waste water).
- A "Bedroom" (Gym for us, but designed with closets etc so it can function as a bedroom if we ever sell the house).
- General living area for media area / computer area, etc.

Out of.. 15 contractors we've contacted, 2 responded back to tell us no, and two more came out and gave us quotes of $140k. The rest never responded.

The one contractor just said 140k, and didn't elaborate further without getting exact dimensions of everything. The other contractor (which I actually like better, when they came out they were much more thorough in talking about how they'd handle certain aspects of it, their solutions seemed much more reasonable, etc) gave me a fairly extensive break down of the costs, and which items were variable and which items were fixed.

That break down roughly looked like:

- $2k in site prep (dumpsters, porta potty, etc)
- $30k to frame out everything including soffits, fire blocking, etc.
- $8k to handle plumbing plus minor HVAC adjustments (extend them down to the basement ceiling, etc)
- $8k for electrical work
- $10k for interior doors, casing, moulding, built in shelving
- $8500 for a hidden bookcase door into the mechanical room
- $10k for drywall (1/2 moisture rock walls, 5/8 ceiling / sofits)
- $15k for LVP/LVT
- $24k for the wet bar
- $14k for the bathroom
- $7500 in additional allowances for plumbing fixtures, bathroom vanity, shower glass, etc

I'm aware that lumber is still very expensive, as is labor. For a variety of reasons we're trying to get this done even given that, and we're OK with the idea that it's going to cost more. I suspect that this is just what it costs right now given we've had two independent quotes that came in right around 140k, but I figured that it wouldn't hurt to sanity check this. This is in the exurbs of Philadelphia for region.

Does this look like what people would generally expect to finish ~1500ish sqft of basement with the above features in today's climate?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I've seen situations where someone will buy a not running car for scrap value, $500, register it so it's legal, and then park it in front of their house to dissuade people from parking there. Spaced correctly you can block people from parking in front of your house/near your driveway. It's hugely passive aggressive but as long as your city doesn't have regular street cleaning is technically legal

We live in what's arguably for the area, a tourist district and I'll park my car 80% of a car length from our driveway and minimizes the amount of people in front of my house + makes it super easy to get in and out of our "parking space" since our lot is only ~2.5 car lengths wide after you subtract the driveway

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
poo poo's just crazy right now. My kitchen project is $112k without the appliances, light or plumbing fixtures

My half-bath is $410/SF without the cost of the light or plumbing fixtures. That's an expensive.... vanity, they quoted me!

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

drat that is a lot for what seems like a pretty basic remodel. You’re not even re-doing a shower or any floor work.

The idiot in me is saying I would DIY most of this

You should post lots of pictures, obviously

hobbez fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 4, 2022

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

hobbez posted:

drat that is a lot for what seems like a pretty basic remodel. You’re not even re-doing a shower or any floor work.

The idiot in me is saying I would DIY most of this

You should post lots of pictures, obviously

Yeah it's absurd. I think they were banking on me glossing over that line item since it's smaller than the other rooms. But as far as I can tell, they're basically charging $12k for demolition, paint, and a new basic vanity?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

yowza that's not a lot of work for 12k, that's like 8% of what I paid for a whole house, and it's not even like" redo entire bathroom" Taking down teh wallpaper and makign the walls smooth is going to suck but that's not a lot of space for 12k worth of work.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yeah it's absurd. I think they were banking on me glossing over that line item since it's smaller than the other rooms. But as far as I can tell, they're basically charging $12k for demolition, paint, and a new basic vanity?

Maybe they Googled your name and found your last house

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

continuing my rant

Concrete guy 3 failed to show up for estimate today (guy 1 got sued to give deposit back after failing to do anything last year, guy 2 has been no contact after a successful contact in the fall). Called places 4,5,6. Someone else "hey use these guys" google them, 3 negative reviews on their new company and their old company ended up paying 200k to the courts for a non-bidding scheme with a town.

maybe I'll just build a deck, i really don't wanna deal with pavers. but I also really wanted something close to ground level which means a deck'll die in about 5 years in my wet climate.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

Hadlock posted:

I've seen situations where someone will buy a not running car for scrap value, $500, register it so it's legal, and then park it in front of their house to dissuade people from parking there. Spaced correctly you can block people from parking in front of your house/near your driveway. It's hugely passive aggressive but as long as your city doesn't have regular street cleaning is technically legal

We live in what's arguably for the area, a tourist district and I'll park my car 80% of a car length from our driveway and minimizes the amount of people in front of my house + makes it super easy to get in and out of our "parking space" since our lot is only ~2.5 car lengths wide after you subtract the driveway

This is an extreme level of get off my lawn-ism

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

hobbez posted:

This is an extreme level of get off my lawn-ism

I suspect a lot of $1000 ex police crown vics ended up with this job. The rest are taxis.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
We’re a few years off but all these numbers are making me very much not looking forward to re-doing our back patio and adding a covered screened in section.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

devmd01 posted:

We’re a few years off but all these numbers are making me very much not looking forward to re-doing our back patio and adding a covered screened in section.

Who knows if it'll be better, worse, or the same in 1-2-3 years. Also it varies by state, metro, neighborhood, and overwhelmingly Value Of Home. One contractor we talked to left behind his like, marketing materials folder, and he accidentally left his in-house notes in there.

It referenced the purchase price I paid to my home, the $360k increase to current redfin/zillow, and a breakout of how to get his remodel quote to $360k

It's all bogus funny numbers that are slightly influenced by current material & labor prices and sometimes you can just ask them to knock 50% off the price and they say Oh Hell Why Not, here ya go

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Who knows if it'll be better, worse, or the same in 1-2-3 years. Also it varies by state, metro, neighborhood, and overwhelmingly Value Of Home. One contractor we talked to left behind his like, marketing materials folder, and he accidentally left his in-house notes in there.

It referenced the purchase price I paid to my home, the $360k increase to current redfin/zillow, and a breakout of how to get his remodel quote to $360k

It's all bogus funny numbers that are slightly influenced by current material & labor prices and sometimes you can just ask them to knock 50% off the price and they say Oh Hell Why Not, here ya go

Funny enough, according to Redfin/zillow my house has appreciated by about 170k since we bought here, and 140k roughly puts you at ~85% LTV :tinfoil:.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

devmd01 posted:

I just paid $4000 for some pretty extensive masonry work (building a large brick raised bed.) It's not that bad. I did provide the bricks though.

But yes, the OP who recently sold a house for $10million probably is having his estimates significantly influenced by his current home price.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Got a lot of rain on Saturday, and water started coming out from the top of the window where it meets the drywall, highlighted here. The exterior of the house is stucco.

Who I even call for this? Stucco repair? Exterior painter? Window people?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
If you never want people to park in front of your house get the city to install a fire hydrant there. Pretty sure you can get a permit to install one yourself all nice and legal.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Send someone up in the attic and figure out where the water intrusion is. Looks like the top of the window is near the roof eave, so I'm not convinced it's the window or stucco

Presumably the water ingress is happening somewhere between the top of the window, and the peak of your roof. Just because it's pooling up and coming out of the window has no relation with where it's originally leaking from.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Unless your siding is EIFS, in which case, it's coming through the EIFS!

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Hadlock posted:

Send someone up in the attic and figure out where the water intrusion is. Looks like the top of the window is near the roof eave, so I'm not convinced it's the window or stucco

Presumably the water ingress is happening somewhere between the top of the window, and the peak of your roof. Just because it's pooling up and coming out of the window has no relation with where it's originally leaking from.

It's a bit hard to see (well, impossible really) in the photo, but there's another story above the window in question; that roofline you see is a small part of our lanai. If it was coming from up above the window itself, I'd see it in my office which is above that room. I am fairly confident it's coming from around the window frame itself.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Unless your siding is EIFS, in which case, it's coming through the EIFS!

I believe it's stucco, but I'm not sure how to really determine that. It's Florida, I think most houses are CBS here

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Elephanthead posted:

If you never want people to park in front of your house get the city to install a fire hydrant there. Pretty sure you can get a permit to install one yourself all nice and legal.

Or you could buy some Rust-Oleum red epoxy enamel spray paint and fire lane signs, then paint the curb and glue the sign to the wall in an attempt to prevent tour busses from parking next to your house and idling, despite an official city sign explicitly banning them from idling there all drat day. Not that anyone has tried that before, and clearly doesn't work

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Omne posted:

Got a lot of rain on Saturday, and water started coming out from the top of the window where it meets the drywall, highlighted here. The exterior of the house is stucco.

Who I even call for this? Stucco repair? Exterior painter? Window people?

Sup window frame leakage buddy. This is affecting several units in my midrise condo building, we have a masonry exterior. Currently I need to deal with the water by catching it in some Solo cups to avoid water damage to my wood floors and other items.

This is prompting a 5 figure masonry repair with a company that specializes in the work in our area, thankfully paid out of our HOA reserves. I sincerely hope the repairs stop the leakage, otherwise it may turn into a nasty liability battle. But at least you don't have to worry about that!

In my case, from my understanding of the contract language, they are removing and replacing some capstones above the window frame and adding flashing where the builder previously had none. Not guaranteed to stop the leak but that's the hope.

I am also glad I caught it before it got moldy and disgusting so I don't need to remove and replace the window trim or drywall and paint (which I would be hiring out to a handyperson).

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 5, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Comrade Gritty posted:

Funny enough, according to Redfin/zillow my house has appreciated by about 170k since we bought here, and 140k roughly puts you at ~85% LTV :tinfoil:.

So I don't know if you're paying PMI or not, how long you've owned, whatever. But I know we're in a similar area.

So if you need that LTV to get over PMI: call your mortgage company, pay for the appraisal. My redfin/zillow estimates were just right in line with what an actual appraiser said this place is worth for my refi that closed last week. I bought it about 3.5 years ago. And it's nuts what it's "worth" now compared to then.

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

Motronic posted:

So I don't know if you're paying PMI or not, how long you've owned, whatever. But I know we're in a similar area.

So if you need that LTV to get over PMI: call your mortgage company, pay for the appraisal. My redfin/zillow estimates were just right in line with what an actual appraiser said this place is worth for my refi that closed last week. I bought it about 3.5 years ago. And it's nuts what it's "worth" now compared to then.

Oh no, I don't have PMI, I was just being tinfoily after GoGoGadgetChris mentioned that a contractor left behind their notes, including how much the house price had risen, and looking at my own quotes of ~140k to finish a basement. The 85% LTV is just assuming that if my contractors were doing the same thing, and they assumed a HELOC, that their price point perfectly fits between my original sale price and 85% of what Zillow says it's worth now.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Comrade Gritty posted:

The 85% LTV is just assuming that if my contractors were doing the same thing, and they assumed a HELOC, that their price point perfectly fits between my original sale price and 85% of what Zillow says it's worth now.

LOL, this would not surprise me at all as an input to a quote like that.

I'd hate to be trying to do something on that scale now. I pushed off a bunch of projects including a major one when this came down and the major one was the one one I'd need outside help with. Most of this was just related to material cost/availability. If I had a crystal ball I would have ordered in materials and arranged labor later. Now the landscape for this kind of thing is even worse and yeah.......you just cant' predict the future. But I can decide "this doesn't matter enough to me to do this now". That may or may not be your answer.

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

Motronic posted:

LOL, this would not surprise me at all as an input to a quote like that.

I'd hate to be trying to do something on that scale now. I pushed off a bunch of projects including a major one when this came down and the major one was the one one I'd need outside help with. Most of this was just related to material cost/availability. If I had a crystal ball I would have ordered in materials and arranged labor later. Now the landscape for this kind of thing is even worse and yeah.......you just cant' predict the future. But I can decide "this doesn't matter enough to me to do this now". That may or may not be your answer.

Yea :smith:

We originally started looking in.. January of 2020, and oddly around March 2020 we stopped looking! But all the reasons we started looking originally have just continued to be a problem, so we decided to shop around and see if we can stomach the costs. 140k is within what we can do, just haven't really decided if it's *worth* 140k to us. We're still looking around and talking to other contractors, but given we've had two independent quotes of 140k, we assume that's likely where most folks are going to be at right now.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Comrade Gritty posted:

Yea :smith:

We originally started looking in.. January of 2020, and oddly around March 2020 we stopped looking! But all the reasons we started looking originally have just continued to be a problem, so we decided to shop around and see if we can stomach the costs. 140k is within what we can do, just haven't really decided if it's *worth* 140k to us. We're still looking around and talking to other contractors, but given we've had two independent quotes of 140k, we assume that's likely where most folks are going to be at right now.

Ha haaa yeah, that's not unlike my experience. My house is 1982-original inside and I've been trying to get work done since May 2019. Housing prices are going up WAY faster than contract work, so it's increasingly sensible to remodel vs sell, even if it scorches the ol' pocket book something fierce

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Comrade Gritty posted:

We're still looking around and talking to other contractors, but given we've had two independent quotes of 140k, we assume that's likely where most folks are going to be at right now.

I'm at the point where it would be cheaper for me to build a shelter for a material pile and then quit my job and do it myself when I have everything, then get another job......or the same job in this market (they probably would just give me a sabbatical). But I don't want to......I know I can't get exactly what I want to do the thing I want right now so I'm not gonna do it.

This is a barn........so your want and needs to do this are obviously very different compared to my ability to stomp my feet and just take nothing at all until I get what I want at the price I want.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
I get you. I just got quoted $2,500 to do a simple water heater replacement and an eye-watering $15,000 to replace my central air/electric furnace with a heat pump unit. It's a quote so high our city's energy loan program designed to cover the cost of such jobs...can't cover the cost of it.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Blindeye posted:

I get you. I just got quoted $2,500 to do a simple water heater replacement and an eye-watering $15,000 to replace my central air/electric furnace with a heat pump unit. It's a quote so high our city's energy loan program designed to cover the cost of such jobs...can't cover the cost of it.

That's not too off.. I live in a low/mid COL city, I got quoted something like 2k to replace my water heater with a power vent (the old one was vented in a very bad way and was likely not to code). My HVAC replacement was something like 10k from the company I went with, but one other place quoted me around 14k after trying to hide 3k of financing costs for their 72 month 0 interest plan.

Call around a few places but that's not terribly out of line depending on area..
My work was ~12000 dollars in Apr 2020
40 gal power vent HWT
AC unit (none in house)
96% furnace w/ humidifier
resize main trunk.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

tater_salad posted:

That's not too off.. I live in a low/mid COL city, I got quoted something like 2k to replace my water heater with a power vent (the old one was vented in a very bad way and was likely not to code). My HVAC replacement was something like 10k from the company I went with, but one other place quoted me around 14k after trying to hide 3k of financing costs for their 72 month 0 interest plan.

Call around a few places but that's not terribly out of line depending on area..
My work was ~12000 dollars in Apr 2020
40 gal power vent HWT
AC unit (none in house)
96% furnace w/ humidifier
resize main trunk.

I got quoted about 7,500 in 2019... But then my sewer line broke and I had to set aside 25 grand for that so....

I'm just salty.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I called the gutter people about five times, left messages including video of the leak. They said they'd fix it Friday and didn't show up (I asked them to give me a heads up and they never called either) then they showed up unannounced on Monday and fixed the gutters. Hopefully that's the end of that, and also hopefully the next gutter company I use, who will not be these people, are better.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Still seems high, I'm PNW and paid like 35/lf or so iirc last year. Not Seattle COL area, but not too far behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Getting contractors is proving difficult for everyone still I guess.

Looking at reviews of fence companies lots of them have "didn't show up" or "didn't call back" etc. some was during peak pandemic when stuff was shut down shut down. But again as Iv'e ranted here or elsewhere, I can' get people to show up to do jobs I don't wanna do. Concrete folks are not coming back because my job is small peanuts, or they're giving me gently caress you prices.. a 400sqft stamped concrete patio shoudln't be 8-10k, I'll do pavers or my own deck if that's the only price I get. The reasonable ppl just disappear. I've had folks schedule estimates and not show. I'm now calling for fences and we'll see how that all goes. It looks like material cost for a 6ft wood fence is about $1.25 / inch if I do it myself. I'm just a point in my life where I'd rather toss someone money to not eat up a weekend digging holes and then another weekend putting up fences.