Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Whenever they introduced the portal thing, I expected a couple of wrong guesses and seeing cameos of other shows and was kinda disappointed when they got it on the first shot. But even without portals we got cameos from Woody and Greg Universe Galaxy this week.

I'm gonna miss the Boonchuys. "I was your mother the whole time"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Whenever they introduced the portal thing, I expected a couple of wrong guesses and seeing cameos of other shows and was kinda disappointed when they got it on the first shot. But even without portals we got cameos from Woody and Greg Universe Galaxy this week.

I'm gonna miss the Boonchuys. "I was your mother the whole time"

I was honestly expecting them to join Anne on her trip back because Anne's badassery was clearly genetic at some level.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Xelkelvos posted:

I was honestly expecting them to join Anne on her trip back because Anne's badassery was clearly genetic at some level.

It wouldn't surprise me to have Anne and her friends about to be captured/destroyed when a bigass portal opens to reveal the Boonchuys, X and a good portion of the U.S. military kicking off Operation Swamp Hurricane or whatever. "Nobody messes with our kids."

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
abu grubraib

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Synopses for April's episodes: https://www.dgepress.com/disneybrandedtelevision/pressrelease/april-2022-programming-highlights/

4/2
“Sasha’s Angels” – A team of Resistance fighters gets captured by ruthless marauders.

“Olm Town Road” – Anne and her friends search for the ancient city of Proteus.

4/9
“Mother of Olms” – Anne and the crew meet with Mother Olm, the keeper of ancient prophecies. *Whoopi Goldberg guest stars as Mother Olm.

“Grime’s Pupil” – Due to dire circumstances, Grime is forced to train an apprentice. *Aisling Bea (“This Way Up”) returns as the voice of Captain Beatrix.

4/16
“The Root of Evil” – Anne and the Plantars get stuck in a strange village of plant lovers.

“The Core & the King” – King Andrias confronts the demons of his past. *Jason Ritter (“Raising Dion”) guest stars as Barrel.

4/23
“Newts in Tights” – While on a recon mission, Anne and Sprig confront an old mentor. *Archie Yates (“Jojo Rabbit”) guest stars as Joio Potato.

“Fight or Flight” – Anne tries to rescue an old friend from one of King Andrias’ robot camps.

4/30
“The Three Armies” – Anne and Sasha must convince the frogs, newts and toads to work together. *Whoopi Goldberg returns as the voice of Mother Olm.

“The Beginning of the End” – The final battle begins.

Technowolf fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Mar 22, 2022

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I hate to ask this, but when does this show get good? I'm a couple episodes in and it seems like a fairly normal show, but I've heard from other people that it's secretly really good. It just hasn't quite clicked with me yet.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
So that was my exact thought until the finale of season 1. That's a longer build up time than I usually give shows, and honestly I had given up on it but my husband kept watching because he heard you had to give it until second season. I went from paying zero attention to "holy poo poo what happens next??"

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I hate to ask this, but when does this show get good? I'm a couple episodes in and it seems like a fairly normal show, but I've heard from other people that it's secretly really good. It just hasn't quite clicked with me yet.

Episode 10 "Toad Tax/Prison Break" is when the bigger storyline really starts going.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Is it good to just jump there?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Personally I didn't care for the pilot but by episode 3 I was all in. Of course it helped that I was watching them bunches at a time so even if there was a dud it's only 11 minutes and then on to the next.

The best episode in season 1 is "Cursed!" imo.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I mean you can, but there's stuff in older episodes that gets referenced. Like, "Toad Tax" is very specifically about Anne's relationships with people in the town so by starting there you're effectively skipping seeing what those relationships are and how they're built.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 22, 2022

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Hiro Protagonist posted:

When you say you're "only a couple episodes" in, how far do you mean?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, the show didn’t grab me quite as fast as Owl House did but it gets better as the first season goes on and pretty much stays that way from there

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Technowolf posted:

When you say you're "only a couple episodes" in, how far do you mean?

Just finished the third episode (or 6th 11 minute episode).

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Just finished the third episode (or 6th 11 minute episode).

I'd say skip to about ep 7 (Dating Season/Anne v Wild) or 8 (Contagi-Anne/Family Shrub) as I remember those both being good and having stuff that gets brought up later.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Technowolf posted:

I'd say skip to about ep 7 (Dating Season/Anne v Wild) or 8 (Contagi-Anne/Family Shrub) as I remember those both being good and having stuff that gets brought up later.

Or don't skip any of them. I mean they're basically 12 min doses of content. Watch a couple and don't marathon 'til you burn out.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I just started the series not too long ago myself. Is the whole thing basically divided into two half episodes or do they eventually switch over to one story per episode?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Larryb posted:

I just started the series not too long ago myself. Is the whole thing basically divided into two half episodes or do they eventually switch over to one story per episode?

It's mostly two half episodes with occasional (Season beginning/ending) full episodes. Pretty much if you see a full episode, that's a "poo poo's going down!" episode.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
People get so impatient with episodic shows. Who cares that the plot hasn't kicked in yet in the early world building? That's not what those episodes are FOR. Some of the individual episodes might not be the best, but some will be fun, and they'll all set up characters or aspects of the world before big revelations happen.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

BioEnchanted posted:

People get so impatient with episodic shows. Who cares that the plot hasn't kicked in yet in the early world building? That's not what those episodes are FOR. Some of the individual episodes might not be the best, but some will be fun, and they'll all set up characters or aspects of the world before big revelations happen.

Thing is, some of the bigger examples of this in recent years (Amphibia, Steven Universe) suffer from shallow & episodic early episodes but people recommend the shows to others based on their later story arcs. It's definitely a tougher sell to get someone invested in a show which is so uninteresting during its beginning. I'm usually a binge watcher and took me *months* to get through S1 of Amphibia (just a few months ago).

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

BioEnchanted posted:

I mean, I get it. I initially bounced off the first episodes too. It was only after watching "Reunion" that I went back and watched from the beginning. Still, after re-watching from the beginning, I wished I'd stuck with it because it really does set up the characters to be people you care about.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/radrappy/status/1506763847960387584?s=21

Leaked screencap (via Hulu):

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Technowolf posted:

Leaked screencap (via Hulu):

I like how even the robot head looks a little worried to see Sasha

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Kinda disappointed that they don't have a new theme song now that they're back in Amphibia. But I get it, that costs money and making a new one for only one half a season is probably more than they can spare.

Also I was super scared during Sasha and Grime's meeting that we were gonna get more backstabbing poo poo. Glad we're finally past it.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

I'm disappointed that they went straight back to Anne's S1/2 design instead of sticking with a more updated one

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Wow, this show gets really dark as it goes along

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Larryb posted:

Wow, this show gets really dark as it goes along
It sure does.

How far along are you?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yvonmukluk posted:

It sure does.

How far along are you?

Just started Season 2 but I’m also aware of a few future details via cultural osmosis prior to me getting into the show (like Marcy being stabbed through the chest on screen and a big portion of Sasha’s character arc) to the point where I’m actually surprised at times that this is supposed to be a show for children (but then again, I’ve seen cartoons get away with worse in the past and it was watching a YouTube AMV containing some of those darker moments that actually convinced me to finally give the show a try in the first place)

Overall I’m enjoying it (and Owl House which I’m watching for the first time alongside it) a fair bit

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 2, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Finally caught up, that certainly escalated quickly from what it started from and I really hope these girls make it out ok (especially Marcy). I do like that they still try keep up the humor though even though the show itself has taken a much darker turn as of late.

Also I think this might be the first time I’ve heard Bill Farmer in a role besides playing Goofy (Brenda Song as the lead is also pretty good and of course Keith David is pretty much always awesome in whatever he’s in)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 4, 2022

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

https://twitter.com/JennerallyJenn/status/1511042549061873669

I’m a sucker for that off screen gag.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Concept art isn't always interesting to me but seeing how they made like 20 different Sasha designs here is funny.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Radrappy/status/1508204314845609985

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

That's pretty standard for any character redesign. I remember seeing loads of them for Anne's S3 Earth design.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kind of a pity Anne never really got a cool battle outfit like Sasha or Marcy (closest thing she had as I recall was some chest armor)

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Larry here acting like fighting while wearing two shoes doesn't count as a cool battle outfit...

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

jassa posted:

Larry here acting like fighting while wearing two shoes doesn't count as a cool battle outfit...

Good point, also she can go Super Saiyan(ne) Blue now thanks to the gem so that’s something as well (plus as the main character Anne has the strongest defense of all: Plot Armor)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 5, 2022

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something kind of interesting with this show now is that Amphibia CAN'T be saved like you'd want to - Andreas has done so much damage to it it's going to at least leave permanent scars basically everywhere, probably for a very long time. Certain areas like the area around the former location of Newtopia are so badly devastated that even when nature starts to take it back, the landscape itself will be irreperably altered.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hell assuming Marcy can be saved, even if they stop all this and go back home the trio themselves has changed too much during their time in Amphibia for things to just go back to normal again. As such, I’m very curious at this point to see how they decide to end things

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 5, 2022

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

BioEnchanted posted:

Something kind of interesting with this show now is that Amphibia CAN'T be saved like you'd want to - Andreas has done so much damage to it it's going to at least leave permanent scars basically everywhere, probably for a very long time. Certain areas like the area around the former location of Newtopia are so badly devastated that even when nature starts to take it back, the landscape itself will be irreperably altered.

Amphibia also doesn't seem to be all that large, so maybe the populace can immigrate to Earth. I mean some frogs, I assume, are good people...

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BioEnchanted posted:

I think you're overestimating the show's realism. After all, I'm pretty sure the Plantars' house has been destroyed multiple times and Frobo shot a hole through the Boonchuys' house only for it to be repaired the next week (and there's been plenty of other majorly destructive incidents that get repaired fast).

Like sure, things definitely won't go back in an instant right after Andrias is defeated, but I feel like it won't take long (I suspect there will be a montage involved) to get things back to a rough approximation of a pre-Andrias (or I guess a pre-Andrias-heel turn) Amphibia. The more interesting thing will be to see how a post-Andrias world functions politically, since the monarch will be gone and fighting him is going to unite a lot of previously separated factions (like for example how we know toads in general used to look down on frogs)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I wonder who (if anyone) is gonna take charge after Andrias falls. The Plantars did make some friends during their time on Earth so them moving over there could be a possibility

As I mentioned before, I’m also curious how Anne, Sasha, and (assuming she can be saved) Marcy adjust to normal life again after everything is over (maybe at least one of them ultimately decides to remain in Amphibia)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Everyone posted:

Amphibia also doesn't seem to be all that large, so maybe the populace can immigrate to Earth. I mean some frogs, I assume, are good people...

They'll just move to the Boiling Isles or find a dead Titan of their own.