Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Kit Walker posted:

Your reward is a different cutscene where Genichiro mocks you harder

The true Souls experience…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Crowetron posted:

That's literally the inciting incident of the game.

This is really coolly pointed out in the video about amazing little details in Fromsoft games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83z4wEglD8g&t=273s

At the beginning of the game before fighting, he fucks up the cool samurai draw a little bit because he's grabbing it from the wrong angle. By the end of the game, Wolf has that poo poo on lock.

Oibignose
Jun 30, 2007

tasty yellow beef
It's really nice playing a From game with an actual character. Helps that he is a complete boss but I hope the next From game takes this direction again.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

thecluckmeme posted:

This is really coolly pointed out in the video about amazing little details in Fromsoft games:

At the beginning of the game before fighting, he fucks up the cool samurai draw a little bit because he's grabbing it from the wrong angle. By the end of the game, Wolf has that poo poo on lock.

lmao @ the devs actually putting in invisible NPCs for when Kotaro is talking to the spirits of children

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

thecluckmeme posted:

That is a really beautiful touch, but the other examples in this video are kind of obvious? I'm not sure how much "attention to detail" there is where walking into a cloud of poison poisons you.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

If you're talking about the lizard one its because they went through the trouble of making bloodsmoke have a unique effect on the poison lizards that is entirely counterproductive. There are no places where you can kill a lizard and use it to your advantage. That detail is entirely for the "benefit" of the player. Not perhaps Miyazaki's poison fetish.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

marshmallow creep posted:

If you're talking about the lizard one its because they went through the trouble of making bloodsmoke have a unique effect on the poison lizards that is entirely counterproductive. There are no places where you can kill a lizard and use it to your advantage. That detail is entirely for the "benefit" of the player. Not perhaps Miyazaki's poison fetish.

I'ma gonna bet that if you somehow got one of the unique white lizards hanging off a wall in one single particular location in an end-game area to drop down and bloodsmoke it, it would also produce a smoke cloud that would inflict you with it's own very particular and rare status effect that i've even forgotten the name (and effect) of

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

marshmallow creep posted:

Why is Wolf a cowboy in that one clip?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

Listen, we all want to be a cowboy sometimes.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

The Lone Badger posted:

He’s been model replaced with Arthur Morgan, which is completely ridiculous because his VA is the guy who did the voice of Charles Smith. Immersion ruined, thanks a lot random Youtube dude!

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

Taste my Yee-Hanzo steel, gaijin

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I'm not clicking with the gameplay in Vanquish, but holy poo poo is it a fun time hearing Steve Blum and someone trying to be Steve Blum have a curse filled, hyper violent, Saturday morning cartoon/Anime adventure together. I think I'll drop down to easy, start over, and just enjoy the story and forget about it later.

Slightly off topic, a few posts above people were discussing Tiny Tina's Wonderland, is that a standalone or is that DLC for BL3? If it's standalone, my interest just jumped.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CzarChasm posted:

I'm not clicking with the gameplay in Vanquish, but holy poo poo is it a fun time hearing Steve Blum and someone trying to be Steve Blum have a curse filled, hyper violent, Saturday morning cartoon/Anime adventure together. I think I'll drop down to easy, start over, and just enjoy the story and forget about it later.

Good luck ever figuring it out, it's got so much happening at any given time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bFT9QREtyU

Such a shame that they never got a chance to get a sequel. I'd love to know where they'd go next.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

CzarChasm posted:

If you haven’t already check out Bulletstorm

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

CzarChasm posted:

Slightly off topic, a few posts above people were discussing Tiny Tina's Wonderland, is that a standalone or is that DLC for BL3? If it's standalone, my interest just jumped.

If you want something similar gameplay wise that might click better, try Wet. The story is garbage (and not in a fun way, but in a "this cutscene seems like it should have been shown an hour earlier" way). It's basically the same core idea of "always be sliding" but the systems are better set up to encourage you doing cool stuff. Sadly still only on PS360.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Hel posted:

If you want something similar gameplay wise that might click better, try Wet. The story is garbage (and not in a fun way, but in a "this cutscene seems like it should have been shown an hour earlier" way). It's basically the same core idea of "always be sliding" but the systems are better set up to encourage you doing cool stuff. Sadly still only on PS360.

My friend and I always make fun of the last battle in the game against the final boss, which along with some silly animations, also is entirely QTE based.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Morpheus posted:

My friend and I always make fun of the last battle in the game against the final boss, which along with some silly animations, also is entirely QTE based.

Don't forget that it also tries to set up a sequel hook, basically a list of what not to do with final bosses. The game is a mess, but up until then the core gameplay loop is pretty great.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Morpheus posted:

thought this post was about dying light for a moment, in which the QTE boss also almost literally says “we are not so different, you and I!”

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The real final boss of Dying Light was climbing the tower to fight Rais anyway. Dying Light 2 did a great job of showing off why Dying Light's QTE boss fight was a fantastic idea, for Techland specifically.

edit: It's because it turns out they suck at designing boss fight enemies

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 20:10 on Apr 4, 2022

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

thought this post was about dying light for a moment, in which the QTE boss also almost literally says “we are not so different, you and I!”

This is also how The Order 1886 ended, and the QTE was a repeat from the one other boss in the game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Also this scene plays out much funnier than you gave it credit for, what ACTUALLY happens is, is Rais shouting at Crane to finish him off and take his vengeance like a true man (him) would do while Crane idly yells at the one-armed loser to shut up while stopping the bombing run. Then Rais tries to get him from behind, unsuccessfully.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Playing as Shinada in Yakuza 5, in the middle of a fight, I tried to pick up a baseball bat, but Shinada just sadly shook his head and dropped it, before getting suplexed by a guy wielding two long pipes. Even to defend himself, he just can't pick up another bat.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

credburn posted:

Playing as Shinada in Yakuza 5, in the middle of a fight, I tried to pick up a baseball bat, but Shinada just sadly shook his head and dropped it, before getting suplexed by a guy wielding two long pipes. Even to defend himself, he just can't pick up another bat.

It’s because he has so much respect for the bat that he won’t use them as weapons.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Dewgy posted:

It’s because he has so much respect for the bat that he won’t use them as weapons.

It's one of the best little touches in the 2nd worst yakuza game.

Also I feel like I am the only Shinada enjoyer. Gimme a game that's nothing but him and Akiyama.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Waste of Breath posted:

It's one of the best little touches in the 2nd worst yakuza game.

Also I feel like I am the only Shinada enjoyer. Gimme a game that's nothing but him and Akiyama.

Shinada’s story/character rules, I don’t think that’s an especially hot take even if his gameplay sucks disjointed rear end.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Shinada is nowhere near as hated as say, Tanimura (which is correct because Tanimura sucks)

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Crowetron posted:

Shinada is nowhere near as hated as say, Tanimura (which is correct because Tanimura sucks)

His taunt is objectively the best though

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Pokemon Legends Arceus: Most Pokemon will either attack you or run away when they see you. Except Bidoof; they just kind of amble over and say hi. :3:

Also, it's kind of funny that the first Pokemon game where I'm using the computer Pokemon, Porygon, is also the one where computers canonically haven't been invented yet. Pokedex entry: "the hell even is this thing, it's not even breathing."

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Last Celebration posted:

Shinada’s story/character rules, I don’t think that’s an especially hot take even if his gameplay sucks disjointed rear end.

I started out hating him because he comes out of nowhere when I was kind of expecting the game to start wrapping the gently caress up by now but his story is actually great and the characters that populate his story arc are also really fun.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Morpheus posted:

I about poo poo when Shadows of Mordor did this to me, all that hack-and-slash fun with my Nemeses throughout the last XX hours and this is what you end with!?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

StandardVC10 posted:

Also, it's kind of funny that the first Pokemon game where I'm using the computer Pokemon, Porygon, is also the one where computers canonically haven't been invented yet. Pokedex entry: "the hell even is this thing, it's not even breathing."

How is... why... I have so many questions I don't even know where to begin.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Randalor posted:

How is... why... I have so many questions I don't even know where to begin.

But.. that makes no sense; It was developed on Cinnabar Island in Pokemon R/G/B. It's a digital program created by humans! :psyduck:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I haven’t played Legends but my understanding is that there’s ingame events where wormholes open up and drop down rare Pokémon, which included Porygon since it’s taking place in Not-Sinnoh where it got its (second) evolution so that’s its “region”.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

But.. that makes no sense; It was developed on Cinnabar Island in Pokemon R/G/B. It's a digital program created by humans! :psyduck:

You come to ancient sinnoh via a time portal. You are not the only one and time and space there are becoming really dangerously unstable

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
It's like Metal Gear Survive

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Philippe posted:

It's like Metal Gear Survive

Man that's a really mean comparison

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Am I wrong?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I've seen people enjoying LoA so to some degree yeah. :smith: Man I'm still so bummed about how Konami just dumpstered the MG series.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Kitfox88 posted:

I've seen people enjoying LoA so to some degree yeah. :smith: Man I'm still so bummed about how Konami just dumpstered the MG series.

I'm glad they let the team make Survive, because the people that made the MGS series, making a final game as a thematic response to the mainline series ended up pretty drat cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I don't hate MG Survive, but BOY is it a departure.