Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Is it capitalism that causes every website to roll out a new interface every few months, or is that because of something else? I use my bank's website exactly once per month (to pay bills), and it's different every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Is it capitalism that causes every website to roll out a new interface every few months, or is that because of something else? I use my bank's website exactly once per month (to pay bills), and it's different every time.

Uh, it's called "innovating". Guess you wouldn't understand.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Homocow posted:

should I spend money on rent or a covid test?

i'm the apologetic addendum

Guess what, having insurance still means you pay.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

My guess is it's to confuse people into not paying a bill that they can then charge fees against :nsa:

I hate how every food app is like that too. I use a given one maybe about twice in a month. Sure enough the next time I go to use the UI is flipped around and I'm logged out and my password manager didn't catch it, so now I have to do the email reset dance.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Large businesses stand lockstep against the possibility of rising wages. Like the fabled phalanx, shields held interlocked with their brother businesses, spears ready to fell any who want to live a better life

But c-leeches do love spending $texas on consultants, so yeah you get a new ux and pos every few months

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

There's lots of reasons places do that. One being that the designers got bored and need something to do so they can justify their jobs

Management given you no tasks and you need to look busy? Time for a "UI refresh"

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

PokeJoe posted:

There's lots of reasons places do that. One being that the designers got bored and need something to do so they can justify their jobs

Management given you no tasks and you need to look busy? Time for a "UI refresh"

it’s this.

need to employ designers for random stuff
not enough work to justify them working full time
create busywork
???
new ui

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

A few jobs ago we did a "redesign" where I just made some headlines and thumbnail images a little bigger and management wouldn't stop talking about how good it was for 3 months. It was probably the easiest task I was assigned all year :shrug:. Sometimes the people in power at companies care about very arbitrary things

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
I’m constantly in meetings that are derailed by simple design decisions because the business units* have nothing better to do than nitpick about a shade of blue or how tall something should be. why do we employ designers if we aren’t going to let them design.

*I have 7 different business units that never talk to each other

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

because managers need to pretend they're doing something important

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Because it's an area people feel safe to have a reckon

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Because designers are frequently Wrong

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Because hell is real

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1511063770356924417

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

lmao

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

that's weird, i would have been sure they'd allow it but instead have the computer instantly fire them

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I'm sure that'll stop the unionization push in its tracks.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

They're gonna be really confused when the workers start getting really into onions

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
amazon manager ignores obvious 1st amendment questions

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Away all Goats posted:

They're gonna be really confused when the workers start getting really into onions

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
alexa make a chat app for my workers that repeatedly violates the first amendment, the civil rights act, and who know how many more federal laws

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

that’s definitely what the first amendment is, yep

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Their whole thing is posting like its fyad but everywhere, don't give it no mind

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

ErrorInvalidUser posted:

alexa make a chat app for my workers that repeatedly violates the first amendment, the civil rights act, and who know how many more federal laws

I doubt it violates any of those

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Maybe it violates the National Labor Relations Act, since it bans unionization discussion?

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

anything is legal with enough money

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Does anything violate NLRB rules at this point? That's a serious question as gutting labor rights has been a bipartisan exercise for over forty years now.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Does anything violate NLRB rules at this point? That's a serious question as gutting labor rights has been a bipartisan exercise for over forty years now.

Dungeon Ecology posted:

anything is legal with enough money

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/The_Katbot/status/1511098765913985027

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
If I remember properly (probably don't) there's been a big push over the last decade to be like "well as long as one employee can hypothetically talk to another about a union in some way, perhaps, then you aren't banning organizing"

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

She posted that 3 days late. Plus lmao April fool's jokes are getting worse and worse

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

30.5 Days posted:

If I remember properly (probably don't) there's been a big push over the last decade to be like "well as long as one employee can hypothetically talk to another about a union in some way, perhaps, then you aren't banning organizing"

this is why we need to get all those smiling faces back to the office, so they can only speak in supervised locations

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Homocow posted:

should I spend money on rent or a covid test?

i'm the apologetic addendum

By "rapid", they mean the consumer boxed ART kits?

$50 for that LOLOLOL

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/antihobbes/status/1510931501533212680

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Letting union organizers in the workplace violates the constitution now :911: :911: :911: :911: :911: :911: :911: :911:

https://www.npr.org/2021/06/23/1009582184/scotus-union-organizers-cannot-access-california-farms

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
we can't have CCP funded russian saboteurs in the workplace, can't we

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the roberts court has completely destroyed all legitimacy of law in this country, it owns

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

"Independent contractors" trying to organize probably violates the NLRB rules somehow, sure

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

They have this sort of creative argument. They say, you know what? This is a taking of my private property. And the Fifth Amendment to the United States Constitution says before a government can take private property, it has to pay just compensation.

I don't think they're referring to their employees as property here, but... I mean... hm...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Shame Boy posted:

"Independent contractors" trying to organize probably violates the NLRB rules somehow, sure

the roberts court would rule that they were forming a cartel