Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

gonna be honest, i feel like the blind pests are just overtuned and i hope the devs rework them a bit, stats-wise. they seem weirdly ridiculous given how many can spawn and when compared to other flying enemies. basically wisps on steroids but you can experience them basically immediately and sometimes in packs of like 5-10 at really bad times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
They nerfed Aurelionite beating Mithrix during the item stealing phase. RIP.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Blind pests are pretty annoying, but they're usually easy to kill. I think they may have slightly more HP than a wisp? But their hitbox is larger and their attack isn't hitscan like wisps, making it way easier to avoid. The main problem is, yeah, they tend to spawn in big groups, and almost always when you're dealing with something else. If you could just focus on them for a bit, strafing and picking them off is no problem. But when you've got lemurians blasting you and you're wandering into beetle guards because you're watching the sky instead of the ground, then yeah they suck.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

just isn't the game for me. i have fun in the core game play but it feels really awful to get one shot by something stupid when a build is off the ground. i also need meta progression to feel like I'm not just wasting time. sucks cause I do like the actual loot loop and some of the classes but the dev makes some stubborn decisions.

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

Vinestalk posted:

They nerfed Aurelionite beating Mithrix during the item stealing phase. RIP.

noticed this, is this wanted behaviour since mithrix had unique interaction with Aurelionite

also me last night, playing drone-heavy engineer on loop2: "hahahaha he can take my items but cannot take my drones" *col. droneman immediately oneshots me* "uhh i guess he can"

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

just isn't the game for me. i have fun in the core game play but it feels really awful to get one shot by something stupid when a build is off the ground. i also need meta progression to feel like I'm not just wasting time. sucks cause I do like the actual loot loop and some of the classes but the dev makes some stubborn decisions.

But there is meta progression in form of item unlocks and lunar coins. Artifacts also add to that.

BobTheJanitor posted:

Blind pests are pretty annoying, but they're usually easy to kill. I think they may have slightly more HP than a wisp? But their hitbox is larger and their attack isn't hitscan like wisps, making it way easier to avoid. The main problem is, yeah, they tend to spawn in big groups, and almost always when you're dealing with something else. If you could just focus on them for a bit, strafing and picking them off is no problem. But when you've got lemurians blasting you and you're wandering into beetle guards because you're watching the sky instead of the ground, then yeah they suck.

Their attack may not be hitscan, but they don't show you when they are aiming, their windup is very fast and they correct for movement like crazy. Wisps can be interrupted by damage, you can see the little line of an aiming Wisp even if you are not looking at it.
Of course, both are rendered a non-threat once you have a single Gasoline.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Agreed that blind pests feel overtuned. A big part of it is that their spawn sound is not as loud or distinctive as a wisp's, too: when wisps do their bullshit and spawn above and behind me while in a fight, at least I can hear them and try to dodge or reprioritize on them. When 10 pests spawn behind and above me, sometimes I just die. They also have quite a lot more health, and while they are bigger than wisps it's not by a lot, and their movement is much less predictable. That's not so bad for a hitscan character, but for say Artificer, it's a problem.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

The best, and also dumbest strategy to avoid damage is just to jump and strafe all the time, and sprint as often as possible. Prioritize movement items even above healing items, at least until you've got a good baseline. And when you do take big damage, run far away like a crying baby until your health improves, even during a teleporter event. Losing a little while of charging is no big deal. Can't charge the TP when you're dead, after all. That said, if you're just not feeling it, no reason to keep grinding your face on it trying to find the fun.

For me the most stubborn decision they've made is the flat refusal to add a save and quit option when moving to a new stage. It's not like it would be a huge technical hurdle, you could store character and items in a few lines of text, and everything else is random anyway so the only other info you'd need to store is what number the next stage is, then just generate it when the save is loaded. It sucks to get a fun looping god run going and then have to quit out because you have to go do real life adult things, like 'sleeping'.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
There's a mod that saves your game at the start of each stage.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

just when I thought I was out they pull me back in

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I haven't had a lot of time to play the previous several days, but things have gone a lot better. I don't feel like I'm playing any different, but I must be doing something right. Got 3 endings and had several runs go multiple loops, finished the game pretty easily my first game as Acrid, etc. I just had this run :

Lighting aspect dropped at the same time I got my first two Plasma Shrimps. From that point on, everything that spawned within range of a turret was immediately destroyed with a horrifying noise lasting several seconds after it died. I'm not even sure how I died, probably one of Mithrix's balls. Aside from doing an end boss I'm not sure when that run would have ended, every single thing that spawned was instantly deleted including boss packs. The first time I died was dicking around without a turret down and a Grandparent killed a bunch of my Void Reavers at once. Also Newly Hatched Zoea does not stack like the wiki says, my 4 stack would fill all my slots with allies.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdWoANyL6eg

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

my idiotic quest is finally complete! I got all the steam achievements! Completing all the trials was a bit of a slog, but other than that getting them was really fun. Ingame it still shows I have 97% completion, but I just can't be bothered to get the logbook entry for the captain's red item (you have to enable an artifact where your doppelgangers spawn and hope they drop it or something) or the logbook entries for the environments.

I can now obliterate on monsoon on most runs solo. But the game is at its most fun when playing with friends, and together we almost always manage gently caress something up before getting the obliterate. and honestly, scrubbing out near the end is usually even more fun than completing the run.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
the final level is so loving bad now that obliterating is a preferable way to end

im like 90% sure they made it that bad just to troll all the people that couldnt handle it when it was just a nice atmospheric jaunt to mythrix, paired with the best music in the game

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
every attempt at improving it just makes it worse, kind of impressive in a way

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Verviticus posted:

the final level is so loving bad now that obliterating is a preferable way to end

im like 90% sure they made it that bad just to troll all the people that couldnt handle it when it was just a nice atmospheric jaunt to mythrix, paired with the best music in the game

I mean, the old version and the boss fight tied to it were poo poo too, so the new version being even shittier is only really a self-own on the dev team for having no loving idea on how to make a satisfying final encounter to their game to the degree that players would rather just quietly kill themselves to end a run.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

What changed in Commencement? I don't remember anything significantly different the last time I went there.

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

Kith posted:

What changed in Commencement? I don't remember anything significantly different the last time I went there.

It changed in anniversary update in spring 2021. Before that it was a simple stroll (grab items from the forge etc.) and then just jump to boss. After that you'd run to a spot and a ship came to pick you up.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

hey mom its 420 posted:

but I just can't be bothered to get the logbook entry for the captain's red item (you have to enable an artifact where your doppelgangers spawn and hope they drop it or something)

It's actually currently bugged so it never drops. Though there is a mod that just adds microbots to the regular red pool.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It was literally three full minutes of walking across a concrete freeway with a few slow robots (that you have no reason to fight) and zero enemy spawns. From the perspective of mithrix being a sometimes thing it was ok, but doing it every run was really bad.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I usually obliterate anyway and its less to do with that stage being miserable (it is) and more to do with the fact that most runs only get to wacky cathartic huge numbers on loop 2.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Planning on fighting Mithrix also means actively worrying about speccing towards certain things (ie, Gasoline/Willowisps being largely useless sans a FMP, AP Rounds being more important) instead of just running around with any old wacky build. And then you get hit once and are atomized anyway. :goleft:

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Never go to Mithrix unless you have enough movement skills/items to skip the pillars, which are the most boring part of the level anyway. If you can't just jump/launch/blink/fly/quantum tunnel your way up to the platform, just do another loop until you can. The actual fight itself is fine now, most of the frustrating edges have been filed off over time.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

BobTheJanitor posted:

Never go to Mithrix unless you have enough movement skills/items to skip the pillars, which are the most boring part of the level anyway. If you can't just jump/launch/blink/fly/quantum tunnel your way up to the platform, just do another loop until you can. The actual fight itself is fine now, most of the frustrating edges have been filed off over time.

Mithrix the worst final boss of any video game I've ever played and it's not even close to being close

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mithrix the worst final boss of any video game I've ever played and it's not even close to being close

Yup. Only done it two or three times in my thousand plus hours of play. Looping is a billion times more fun.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

He's never been exactly fun, but over time he's become manageable. If you're fast enough or flighty enough to stay off the ground, his hammer slams are avoidable. He's the only boss affected by freeze or slow, so on the Artificer you can effectively stun-lock him with ice walls and ice spears, and on anyone else the chronobauble can actually be useful for once. But yeah, he is a blatant gear check and doesn't have any really interesting mechanics. I usually tend to loop runs until I can sneeze and wipe out an entire stage, then just obliterate.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

the problem with mithrix is that it's no longer possible to stop him from taking all of your items, which means that if you have good items you just die

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

cock hero flux posted:

the problem with mithrix is that it's no longer possible to stop him from taking all of your items, which means that if you have good items you just die
This is the most aggravating piece in any game. You have to go for him the first loop as fast as possible, avoiding poo poo that will wreck you for the last stage of the boss. It's the biggest sucker punch of all times and always feels unfair.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

cock hero flux posted:

It's not possible to rush down phase 4 of the fight before he steals your poo poo anymore, but it is still possible to skip it entirely thanks to a weird failsafe mechanic...thing.

Also the #1 thing I hate is that you simply have barely any room to make mistakes unless you got lucky with defensive items. I'd say on average I don't actually have that much trouble with the fight, but even then I still actively avoid it because I usually don't feel like playing Dark Souls at the end of my run.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Apr 9, 2022

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I like the Mithrix fight. It's an unapologetically hard fight in a game where you can become so powerful that you can clear entire levels by simply being there.

I just wish you could skip the Item Theft segment. Nobody fights it for real anymore - you either cheese it or you play so safely that it's not fun.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

There's just no reward for beating Mithrix; you go through the fight, speed back to the ship, run around in circles while it charges, then... it's over. There's no reason to not just obliterate or keep running around until you get instakilled by a void enemy.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

This is a stupid problem to have but item cards aren't showing up when I collect items (even with the ItemStats mod) and I haven't been able to find some setting that I must've used to shut them off. Kind of a pain since there are new items to learn.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

that's what I was complaining about when I said this game isn't for me. I did end up reinstalling it because it's what my friends play. I was comparing it to slay the spire where there are good end bosses and a super difficult optional boss that you can go after if you have a God run.

really risk of rain 2 would be better if it stole the heart and ascension system wholesale--if instead of Mithrix stealing your poo poo, you unlocked him by offering random items at a shrine or something, then unlocked a slightly harder version of the game by killing him, it would feel like less of a waste of time and the fight itself would feel less stupid.

I'm not opposed to the fight being just as difficult if not more difficult than it currently is in terms of success rate, it's just really stupid to have a God build in the regular game have nothing to do with killing the last boss. this games version of meta progress are achievements which I just personally find a lot less satisfying.

Tax Evasion
May 27, 2020
To those who want a STS Ascension style-thing, Eclipse is basically that. It starts out as Monsoon where you are required to fight Mithrix to win, and builds up stacking modifiers on each win for each character, capping off at Eclipse 8, which makes a portion of the damage you receive permanently reduce your max health for the rest of the stage. It's actually incredibly fun, as you are forced to play much more carefully. I've only beaten it on Void Fiend so far.
As for the Mithrix fight itself, it's not too bad as long as you plan for it and know what to expect. Get lots of movement items and make sure you have a way to deal with the last phase (Capacitor, Preon, or being Railgunner are all very good hard-counters to that phase). Even if he gets some ridiculous items, it's very doable to slowly get his health down (and ideally, some damage or movement items back).
Also post-Anniversary Commencement is good actually, it's an actual significant threat now instead of just 3 Chimeras before Mithrix.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
[quote="Tax Evasion" post="522706399
Also post-Anniversary Commencement is good actually, it's an actual significant threat now instead of just 3 Chimeras before Mithrix.
[/quote]

The problem isn't that it's easy or hard it's that it's boring.

They could have added different objectives like finding ship parts or something and Mithrix always has the last one, put stuff on the moon so there was something to look at like the Contact Light, just anything but no the final level on both routes has yet more "stand around waiting for the meter to fill, the hardest challenge is staying awake!" except the void fields one is worse because you need to run out into massive damage to avoid eating instant death lol.

RoR 2 really feels like a game that any fun had in it is despite the devs' best efforts. There isn't even a real cutscene for beating either final boss, just a YOU WIN.

I definitely had fun playing but I don't think I'd want to go back to it again.

Kith posted:

I like the Mithrix fight. It's an unapologetically hard fight in a game where you can become so powerful that you can clear entire levels by simply being there.

I just wish you could skip the Item Theft segment. Nobody fights it for real anymore - you either cheese it or you play so safely that it's not fun.

In what world is Mithrix hard? It's super easy to float out of range of all his attacks.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 10, 2022

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Even worse, it's a fight that is trivial or extremely difficult based mostly on which character you have. If you have a halfway decent long ranged attack he doesn't stand a chance, if you're melee-only good luck.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Honestly it kind of feels like the main problem with him is that he's built like a boss that wears you down with attrition, but his damage output is so high that it's easy to get blasted in two hits. If you know exactly what you're doing, it's possible to get consistent wins, but if you make the smallest mistake you can go from fine to dead in a few seconds. Normally you'd see that sort of damage on an enemy that telegraphs their big attacks, but Mithrix can just zip by and hammer you into a pulp with barely any time to react.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
id say my main complaint about mythrix is that pre-change the entire final level was basically aesthetic and the boss fight probably should've been as well. just make him scale less for the first three rounds, make the item-less fight more equal between characters and somewhat difficult, and then go from there

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
They should add a dodge or block to the game and then add actual combat mechanics instead of just "continue shooting and hope you get enough hooves to not just randomly die to bullshit."

Mithrix would be a lot more fun if his swings were half as fast and hard to dodge instead of nearly instant, undodgeable and basically a numbers check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It's also very easy to cheap out his AI using the ramps, which exchanges his massive threat potential for tedium.