Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
In theory I like the mental image of us throwing infrastructure to the wind and just have everyone weave around potholes like a field of race cars warming their tires on a safety lap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

apatheticman posted:

North Americans choosing SUVs over hatches is a travesty unto mankind.

For a lot of people in the US the idea of a "safe" car is a car so big it will pancake the other car in a wreck.

mystes
May 31, 2006

davebo posted:

In theory I like the mental image of us throwing infrastructure to the wind and just have everyone weave around potholes like a field of race cars warming their tires on a safety lap.
It would suck for bicycles but I guess as long as the roads became impassible by car it would be an improvement.

Coredump posted:

SUV's handle potholes better and roads in the US can suck.
lol SUVs aren't even actual SUVs anymore, they're just lovely trucks

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

We have crossovers now which are SUV body panels on a sedan platform combining truly the worst of both worlds.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

It’s me, I’m the SUV chooser*. Picked her up Friday night. The hybrid engine + AWD combo loving rules. The full EV mode and auto brake hold in traffic does too. Love it.

*if they still made the Prius wagon I woulda bought it!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

It’s me, I’m the SUV chooser*. Picked her up Friday night. The hybrid engine + AWD combo loving rules. The full EV mode and auto brake hold in traffic does too. Love it.

*if they still made the Prius wagon I woulda bought it!

Is that the Highlander? We tried to look at the Toyota hybrid SUV things for carrying stuff + dogs etc (and yeah my wife likes the higher ride height), but at the time there was the whole COVID supply chain stuff and you couldn't find one to test drive.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Rav4. They're pretty close in size now but the Highlander has a lot higher towing at the expense of mileage etc. And yeah, they're all a pain in the rear end to find at the moment and a lot of dealerships are adding 5k+ markup on MSRP on top of that.

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
We went to a dealership today to look at a RAV4 Prime and was quoted 2-3y wait if we want to put our name on list.
What even does that look like? They’re assuming they’ll have made enough rav4 in 2025? Prob going Volvo instead as they’re in stock around here.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I have a 2020 RAV4 TRD and it’s insanely overvalued right now. But so are most cars, so it’s not really a win to trade in

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

TotalLossBrain posted:

It's the V6 and I'm definitely not left wanting for power. Gas mileage is decent only when cruising.
It's my understanding that the V6 uses a standard 6spd auto box and not the 4cyl CVT

Yea a V6 and traditional geared transmission would be a much nicer drive.

Oh well, I'm just happy we have a reliable, economical car that's paid off instead of trying to find one right now.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I needed a very small keyboard for an idiot project so I got a Vortex Core. I don't have some Andre the Giant hands but:

it's so tiny!

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Do they, actually?

Yes it’s true.

couldcareless posted:

The best way to handle a pothole is to know where they are and avoid them. I drive my GTI around our neighborhood's atrociously bad streets fine, I just know when to slow down, when to swerve, etc.

Yeah If I got room to do that in my car for sure. But it is pretty nice to be in my Element and just trundle over the metal plates or potholes and maintain my lane without worry.

Coredump has a new favorite as of 04:23 on Mar 28, 2022

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Coffee when it's cheap, 2.99€ a pack. Regular coffee price is more like 6 euros a pack now.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Oh man Mega is posting in PYF Recent Purchases again. Did they get another camera?

Yes.

This is a Rittreck II-B an extremely rare variant of the Rittreck II-A (Optika II-A for those playing from the US) that I thought was a II-A when I was buying it and can find no information about! It needs a service but is functioning correctly. A fun and terrifying project.

This is a Super Fujica-6. A camera that's been on my to buy list for a long time and one finally popped up for a good price. It too needs a service but it working, just sluggish.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/SQdzFYxh.jpg[/img]

So, I've gone from 0 project cameras to 2. Now I just need to find the time to work on them.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

Spendy for a Lego kit but it's just too drat cool.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I bought a Lisa Hannigan album I didn’t know existed at B&N.

A goon can have the mp3
Lisa Hannigan: At Sea
UN_22624_b22290
atorecords

dinahmoe
Sep 13, 2007

Holy crap, I just bought a new saxophone. My amazing Conn 10m died in a car accident years ago, and I never replaced it. I am now disabled, and didn’t think my thumbs could handle playing ever again, but I bit the bullet and bought a new Selmer tenor sax. I am looking forward to seeing how much muscle memory I have retained. I am very excited but also very anxious. I also bought an Otto link brass mouthpiece, because my original is in storage.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Music posts are my favorite. Hell yeah goon.

KaLogain
Dec 29, 2004

I got her number. How do you like them apples?
Cybernetic Crumb

dinahmoe posted:

Holy crap, I just bought a new saxophone. My amazing Conn 10m died in a car accident years ago, and I never replaced it. I am now disabled, and didn’t think my thumbs could handle playing ever again, but I bit the bullet and bought a new Selmer tenor sax. I am looking forward to seeing how much muscle memory I have retained. I am very excited but also very anxious. I also bought an Otto link brass mouthpiece, because my original is in storage.

Good Luck Goon!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

dinahmoe posted:

Good luck! Saxophones are an extremely awesome instrument.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

A cool coffee table book:

The giant rear end lego colosseum

A video card:

Some alcohol:

And a ton of other stuff that's not all that exciting

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I wish I liked tequila cause every time I see that bottle I’m like oooh

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Rolo posted:

I wish I liked tequila cause every time I see that bottle I’m like oooh

It's a sweet tequila so it tastes pretty different from most. Also if you've never had anything better than cheap stuff the difference is pretty staggering.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Maybe I’m due because I’m an adult who can buy nice things and if anything deserves a second chance it’s hard liquor.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
I bought a head

Signed Sara Morris 1985, it is close to 20 pounds and larger than it looks and it creeps me the hell out now that I have it.

Also been buying a bunch of bad art

Not as creepy as I thought it would be

I like this one

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Hahahah those are all amazing.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
Can you feed coins into the head?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Just fyi that video card is LONNGG. Post your build when done please.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I had no intact shoes, and I decided that probably the best way to acquire intact shoes would be to buy them.

So I ordered some ugly sneakers that should be very comfortable:

And some less ugly sneakers that are less ugly:

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Helios Grime posted:

Can you feed coins into the head?

Yes, but I'd have to cut the felt off the bottom to get anything out so I haven't actually stuck anything in there.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Coredump posted:

Just fyi that video card is LONNGG. Post your build when done please.

Not a problem for me

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Wow yours has pipes!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I still have a midtower case from 2012 that has 2 optical drives in it. I guess nobody uses them anymore? You buy an external drive if you really need one?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Josh Lyman posted:

I still have a midtower case from 2012 that has 2 optical drives in it. I guess nobody uses them anymore? You buy an external drive if you really need one?

Yeah I guess. I built my computer in like 2019 and haven’t even thought about needing one since. Same for any other storage that isn’t M.2.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Aramek posted:

Wow yours has pipes!

It's the Internet!

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Yeah you want nice clean and open pipes to make sure the internet flows freely through your computer. The downside is your computer is now infested with the internet, which is terminal.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

To be fair it is not actual terminal but usually just emulated. :v:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

Not a problem for me

It did a number on my Meshify Compact. Whew lad. I like your setup but where is your pump?

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Coredump posted:

It did a number on my Meshify Compact. Whew lad. I like your setup but where is your pump?

It's on the back of the distribution block at the bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

I've been looking for some new shoes, and those (and some others I see on Gola's website) are right up my alley.

You may not know, but any idea if these run slightly small or slightly large? I typically wear a 10.5 but they only have whole sizes, so wondering if a 10 would be too tight or 11 too large?

I'll probably get an 11 if I do go with Gola, cause a little loose is better than too tight, but just thought I'd ask.