Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

MH Knights posted:

This. Death Stranding uses an improved (from Zero Dawn) version of the Decima game engine. Kojima Productions and Guerilla Games worked together during Death Stranding's development to improve the engine and tools. Hence why Death Stranding had better performance on Windows compared to Zero Dawn. I think the facial capture tech was also improved by Kojima's team.

Zero Dawn also famously had tie-in Death Stranding collectibles!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Once I first did the Focus pulse and saw the red X's in the environment I knew it was the same engine and I started panicking that I was going to have to deliver mail

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Medullah posted:

Once I first did the Focus pulse and saw the red X's in the environment I knew it was the same engine and I started panicking that I was going to have to deliver mail

Or pizza. Or beer! Those are all missions for Erend.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

RatHat posted:

Geez there are a lot of weapon types in this game. You get 5 in the first area alone.

Is there anyway to change the ammo types on a weapon or are you stuck with what it comes with?

Unfortunately, you’ll end up holding multiple weapons of the same type just to ensure you have all the element types represented.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lobok posted:

Press triangle to listen to Erend's mixtape.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

blink 182

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Lobok posted:

But that's like entire map- I think Thornmarsh has the pizza (Blood Bread) and Chainscrape's got the ale.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Just finished Faro's Tomb. How far into the main story is that btw?

A little bit of mixed feelings on it, because it was one of the coolest missions in the game and I enjoyed every minute of it, but I think they went too cartoon supervillian with Ted Faro. Like, him destroying the world with his own hubris in the first one was perfectly evil enough. I'm not sure we needed a literal serial killer pyramid for him. And then they end it with him being some mutant pig and don't even show him?! I'm not sure they actually killed him and he won't return but it sure seemed like it.

I dunno it was a still a really fun story mission either way but I think HZD handled the character in question better.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

veni veni veni posted:

A little bit of mixed feelings on it, because it was one of the coolest missions in the game and I enjoyed every minute of it, but I think they went too cartoon supervillian with Ted Faro. Like, him destroying the world with his own hubris in the first one was perfectly evil enough. I'm not sure we needed a literal serial killer pyramid for him. And then they end it with him being some mutant pig and don't even show him?! I'm not sure they actually killed him and he won't return but it sure seemed like it.

I dunno it was a still a really fun story mission either way but I think HZD handled the character in question better.

Late-mid'ish game. There's still plenty of game left after that point.

Faro's Tomb being a supervillain lair built by the world's wealthiest narcissist and dedicated entirely to his hedonistic desires where he's had kill switches implanted in his harem is the single most believable thing about Horizon's setting. There was no point wandering through that area where I didn't stop and think "Yeah, I can see Elon Musk/Jeff Bezos doing exactly this sort of poo poo." The only unrealistic part is it's physical location.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Apr 6, 2022

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I am just screwing around fully upgrading legendary poo poo and doing scrapper missions and finding random errands I skipped. I am a little too good at killing Fireclaws and Frostclaws without rupturing their sacs.

End credits question: Why does the end credits mention a thank you to Kojima Productions? for putting Horizon holograms in its game? Was there any real collaborative work between GG and Kojipro?

Like another poster said, Kojima Prod wound up being a major collaborator on the current iteration of Decima. What started as engine licensing became co-developing to the point where a permanent connection was created between the two studios. They wound up doing a lot of tech sharing back and forth with the Kojima team adding or reworking atmospheric rendering, animation systems, and multiplatform optimizations that shored up weaknesses in previous versions of the engine.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm sure the answer boils down to how hard guerrilla went in the visual fidelity dept but it's kind of a bummer that HFW doesn't feel as good as Death Stranding in the performance dept.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anyways I'm more interested in testing out the beds than anything

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

You can lay down on the beds? I had no idea.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

veni veni veni posted:

I really disagree. We know that he has a massive ego, sees himself as some sort of redeemer, etc etc. I thought the level was incredibly creepy and really well done. And keeping Zombie Ted unseen let us imagine something that probably would have been a letdown in this world that doesn't really render body horror stuff.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Full notes
https://www.reddit.com/r/horizon/comments/txl29g/patch_110_111/

Some of my own highlights.

These must have been fun for people trying to grind upgrades:

quote:

Fixed an issue where player level instead of kill count could influence whether Apex or Evolved machines would spawn in the open world instead of standard variants.
Fixed an issue with the Bristleback where the Apex version would never spawn in the open world.
Fixed an issue with the Plowhorn where the Apex Plowhorn would not contain the Apex Plowhorn Heart.
Fixed an issue with the Rockbreaker where “Mining Claws” could not be collected from an Apex Rockbreaker after detaching them.
Fixed an issue with the Slaughterspine where looting the Plasma
Earthblaster from the Apex Slaughterspine would contain one metal shard, instead of Volatile Sludge and Crystal Braiding.

quote:

Rebalanced the unintentional change on Legendary weapons.

lol, unintentional or recovering from the backlash?

quote:

Fixed an incorrect statement in the tutorial text for the Purgewater tutorial. The text used to state 'Once in this state, their elemental attacks are disabled and they become more vulnerable to Frost and Shock attacks.' This has been changed to ‘Once in this state, their elemental attacks are disabled and their resistance to all elemental damage and states is reduced.’

Oh... That would have been nice to know...

quote:

Added a “Toggle” option in the Settings menu for loot actions.

Noice

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

quote:

Fixed an issue where player level instead of kill count could influence whether Apex or Evolved machines would spawn in the open world instead of standard variants.

I wonder if this is why I consistently couldn’t get any apex slaughterspine spawns while I’ve been trying to farm my level five legendary upgrades the last few days :argh:

All the other apex variants would spawn just fine except this one

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is it just me or is Aloy's dodge really terrible? Does it even have i-frames?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

aloy's dodge lets you look cool while taking tons of damage.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Aloy's dodge is meaningless because every robot in the game has a massive aoe melee attack larger than Aloy's dodge.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Lol its like 3 whole seconds of iframes.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Unormal posted:

Lol its like 3 whole seconds of iframes.

Do you mean 3 whole frames

EDIT: Oh my god she trips if you dodge 3 times in a row

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

RatHat posted:

Do you mean 3 whole frames

EDIT: Oh my god she trips if you dodge 3 times in a row

There exists an outfit-only skill that extends the amount of dodges before stumbling! Evader

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

RatHat posted:

Is it just me or is Aloy's dodge really terrible? Does it even have i-frames?

It has a million I-frames. Genuinely, you can dodge at the right time and have attacks go right through you even if it’s explosive or they end up sitting directly on your face. Hell, you can even dodge the plasma explosion from getting plasma status applied to you.

Don’t get me wrong, the dodge is still terrible feeling, especially compared to the range of machine melee attacks and their aggressiveness, but the i-frames are pretty generous in this game.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

They deliberately made the enemies attack with different timings, almost to the point that the machines are feinting. You can't dodge at the first sign of trouble or you'll get caught in an attack by the time you're done your roll. If you add a little Vanquish style to your game the slide helps a lot for getting out of harm's way because it can be cancelled into a dodge if you're too early. (And the slide is good for free slow-mo and any +X Agility Damage you've got equipped.)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You do have generous iframes but the machines will also attack constantly while you're in melee range until you screw up and get smashed

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I felt the dodge is more useful for the i-frames than attempting to outright move out of range of an attack.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

vanilla slimfast posted:

I wonder if this is why I consistently couldn’t get any apex slaughterspine spawns while I’ve been trying to farm my level five legendary upgrades the last few days :argh:

All the other apex variants would spawn just fine except this one

I found that the Slaughterspines that are not marked on the map wouldn't reliably spawn as apex. The one in the snowy mountains that is marked on the map would spawn as apex every time I set time to night and humped my way up there from the spawn point near the Tremortusk and the Scorcher north of it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It’s weird that they describe the stats of machine strike pieces in your inventory and stores instead of just showing the stat card. I’m guessing it’s some technical reason and they can’t show the card outside of the mini game?

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

BitBasher posted:

I found that the Slaughterspines that are not marked on the map wouldn't reliably spawn as apex. The one in the snowy mountains that is marked on the map would spawn as apex every time I set time to night and humped my way up there from the spawn point near the Tremortusk and the Scorcher north of it.

The patch definitely did something, because last night I was able to bounce back and forth between the two sites on the far west of the map and bag half a dozen apex hearts in like 10 mins no problem

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
This just popped up on a feed I was watching.

Holy shitballs.

Horizon Photography

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The skyscraper relic ruin has to be one of the worst puzzles I’ve seen in a video game

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Was staying out of the thread until I finished

Astounding technical achievement

What the hell at that ending

Gameplay systems were kind of a mess

This concludes my four hour long youtube analysis

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

My thoughts:
The Good
The aesthetic of the game. It does look good, but more importantly: the art direction is brilliant. I really like the cavemen meets modern tech look. Everything is colorful. And lastly, I really like how we're finally at a place where natural skin types can be rendered. Aloy doesn't have perfect skin and the game is better because of it.
It's genuinely refreshing to have a protagonist in an open world game that just wants to help people and save the world.
It's also refreshing to have a base in a game where the npcs and not you decorate it.
I don't know if I got better or the difficulty level got lowered but I enjoyed the combat much more in this game. It felt easier to the point where I got :tinfoil: that the game lowered the difficulty level to easy without me knowing it.
Facepaint!
Aloy's bond with Beta felt really good. Of course they would butt head because they're basically the same person and that person is almost unable to see things from another's perspective. But because they're also good person they're able to overcome those difficulties.
I love how some of the artificial intelligences are catty bitches that nurtures a deep and genuine hatred towards Aloy.
The flying mount is so good that it could easily sell the game on it's own,
The various tribes works really well. No one falls in the cliches where the more war like tribes are super though and only cares about war and the not so war like tribes are soft pussies that can't stand up for themselves.
The reactive dialogue is really good. People will comment on things you do.

The Bad
A base that you don't really do anything with seems kinda useless and it feels like it was added just because that's what open world games have to have now.
the antagonists: The concept behind them is really good. Humans that are so disconnected form humanity that they no longer understand it. Even TIlda seems to think that as long as Aloy look at some fine art she will get over Varl's death. And Regalla who fight an enemy that no longer exists and maybe more than anything just wants an honorable death. But not much is done with it. You spend a long time without meeting them and they're not really developed.
The platforming.
The game doesn't really innovate much. Things are like are in the last game and that game wasn't really that innovative either. I really hope that the next game shakes things up. My dream scenario is that they do a the Last of Us Part 2 and gives us the controls of another character. Playing as Beta would be a good compromise

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Alhazred posted:

The flying mount is so good that it could easily sell the game on it's own,

I'm so glad this wasn't spoiled for me and I discovered it organically. It really blew me away that they added it, and I spent hours just flying around, checking out the scenery, taking pictures and looking for random Greenshine slabs

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Alhazred posted:

The Bad
A base that you don't really do anything with seems kinda useless and it feels like it was added just because that's what open world games have to have now.

The game doesn't really innovate much. Things are like are in the last game and that game wasn't really that innovative either. I really hope that the next game shakes things up. My dream scenario is that they do a the Last of Us Part 2 and gives us the controls of another character. Playing as Beta would be a good compromise

Thinking about the underused companions and the lack of combat innovation (and how people have compared this game to Mass Effect Part Deux) it'd be awesome to have your pick of companion to fight alongside you whenever you want with dedicated gameplay mechanics for it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

First Forge have to be the buggiest sidequest yet. Dead enemies would float around, Erend would randomly collapse into a fetal position and spin around when I touched him and I had to run in and out of the cave several times before the final custscene would play.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So I've got a quest marker in Plainsong without an npc to talk to. Anyway to fix this? I think quest is The Roots that Bind, which I need for the plat

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

veni veni veni posted:

I agree with this. While I liked the atmosphere, it felt like it didn't even fit, and it felt more like something ripped out of Resident Evil, and I felt like the stuff that put in it retroactively made the story in Horizon Zero Dawn worse. It just felt like something that didn't even need to be visited because I feel like he got more development in this game than even the game's central villains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

This has to be the worst puzzle in the entire game:

Figure out which piece of identical rock you can interactive in order to enter a cave.