Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
A free Mokey Mokey and four UR cards of your choice, which is pretty huge for 800 gems. (At least I think it's 120 dust this go-around)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Cleretic posted:

(I did start including Kaiser Coliseum in my Kozmo deck, it seems to do pretty good even if I have to resist the urge to Kozmotown and E-Tele together three spaceships just because I can.)
You know that feeling when you're driving too fast and you hit a speedbump and you feel that awful CHUNK as your car hits it? Running KC lets you inflict that on other people.

Edit: So does El Shaddoll Winda, admittedly, but people know how to deal with Winda.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Zodack posted:

I am loving that Konami didn't even re-evaluate the Duel Pass progress and it's brainless easy to level again.

I'm seeing people mad that it's 72 days instead of 90 for some reason.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

girl dick energy posted:

You know that feeling when you're driving too fast and you hit a speedbump and you feel that awful CHUNK as your car hits it? Running KC lets you inflict that on other people.

Oh definitely. I'm currently True Draco'ing my way up the ladder again. Haven't run into many of the D.D. Dynamite bots yet, but I have half a dozen wins where I went first, opened with a True Draco and a Kaiser Coliseum, had my opponent play their first monster, then pause for 30 seconds before realising what was going on and surrendering.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Kaiser Coliseum is really the best floodgate. Your opponent can't luck into type, attribute, stat, etc. lock, and have to deal with either your monster or this spell. You shouldn't play this in your swarm deck of course.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I always get Kaiser Colosseum confused with Savage Colosseum.

tankfish
May 31, 2013

Mix. posted:

i discovered someone's "progression playoff" series on youtube and i hate how fun this sounds, has anyone here done anything like that and was it a good time?

(for those who don't know basically it's like a limited league or whatever you get sometimes in mtg, the way the people in the series im watching are doing it is all four of the players use an online pack opener to "open" 24 packs from the first set in yugioh, legend of blue-eyes, and they have to build a deck with what the random pack opener gives them and then do a best-of-one elimination tournament. the two losers from the first round then each get to elect a card to be permanently banned, and then next week the group moves onto the next set (metal raiders) and opens 24 packs of that, then updates the deck from the previous week with their new pulls and do another best-of-one tournament, two losers get to ban a card each, etc etc)

Hey I just wanna say thanks for pointing out the progression format. I have fallen down a youtube hole watching them.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I would like to do a progression series myself

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Mix. posted:

i discovered someone's "progression playoff" series on youtube and i hate how fun this sounds, has anyone here done anything like that and was it a good time?

(for those who don't know basically it's like a limited league or whatever you get sometimes in mtg, the way the people in the series im watching are doing it is all four of the players use an online pack opener to "open" 24 packs from the first set in yugioh, legend of blue-eyes, and they have to build a deck with what the random pack opener gives them and then do a best-of-one elimination tournament. the two losers from the first round then each get to elect a card to be permanently banned, and then next week the group moves onto the next set (metal raiders) and opens 24 packs of that, then updates the deck from the previous week with their new pulls and do another best-of-one tournament, two losers get to ban a card each, etc etc)

I haven't done a playoff, but my friend and I did a progression series following MBT's lead. It's a ton of fun, and you get to see a lot of weird decks when you get rid of your card pool every time a new anime starts.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Is there any of those you people would recommend? Now I'm interested in watching one.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Blaze Dragon posted:

Is there any of those you people would recommend? Now I'm interested in watching one.

MBT's Progression Playoffs is probably the best series in that style. I also like Hardleg's Chaos Draft, but that's its own weird thing.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So I was talking to someone who tried, and failed miserably, at explaining a mill deck they got beaten by that was some kind of zombie-based deck where, every time a zombie 'did something' (he could not remember, but it clearly happened a lot), cards were pitched from his deck.

Anyone have any idea what he was playing against? I can't speak to how good he was playing, so it's possible he was falling prey to a dumb rogue strat, but I'm just kinda lost as to what he might've been describing.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Cleretic posted:

So I was talking to someone who tried, and failed miserably, at explaining a mill deck they got beaten by that was some kind of zombie-based deck where, every time a zombie 'did something' (he could not remember, but it clearly happened a lot), cards were pitched from his deck.

Anyone have any idea what he was playing against? I can't speak to how good he was playing, so it's possible he was falling prey to a dumb rogue strat, but I'm just kinda lost as to what he might've been describing.

Probably a Soul-Absorbing Bone Tower deck.

Something like this: https://ygoprodeck.com/bone-tower-mill-ft-zombie-world/

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Cleretic posted:

There’s a couple of cards that do a thing every time a zombie is special summoned from grave, Soul-Absorbing Bone Tower mills. Everliving underworld cannon burns.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Bone Tower pairs really well with Mayakashi, cause their whole thing is synchro laddering from 1 to 11 in one turn. Here's TheDuelLogs showing it off:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpttBTVRwEA

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

yeah, MBT's series was the one I've been watching that made me go 'hey, i wanna do that!' (and i still want to do that, lol)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Dragon maid players elects to go first, sets 3 passes. I duster (Aside feather storm also being an hfd recycler is insane), Play lyrilusc bird call get Maxx C'd and elect not to summon anything, pass.

Okay so they're down to 1 card in hand, they play a maid get a spell link to Striker Dragon, play a spell to ressurect, link into Heiretic Seal. "Okay that might be an issue...I'll have to bait out something or go Nightning Gale first to get the protecti-"

They then banish to ressurect another dragonmaid to link up to the no effect Gaia Linker hit me for 2.6k and pass.

But why though?

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Dragon maid players elects to go first, sets 3 passes. I duster (Aside feather storm also being an hfd recycler is insane), Play lyrilusc bird call get Maxx C'd and elect not to summon anything, pass.

Okay so they're down to 1 card in hand, they play a maid get a spell link to Striker Dragon, play a spell to ressurect, link into Heiretic Seal. "Okay that might be an issue...I'll have to bait out something or go Nightning Gale first to get the protecti-"

They then banish to ressurect another dragonmaid to link up to the no effect Gaia Linker hit me for 2.6k and pass.

But why though?

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Progression is one hell of a drug. MBT isn't lying when he called it something of a watershed moment for the community. While his view was more from the perspective of a creator, I think it fits far more broadly.

I fell out of having any real interest in YGO back during the GX era of the game. Outside of catching some random episodes of the anime(duelling on motorcycles whoa) that was basically it. Fast forward and during some late night procrastination of watching random youtube videos I end up stumbling into a Cimo video doing some Sealed format and from there into some random episode of his Progression series.

And that got me hooked, binged through the entirety of their first season, keeping up with their second season and I'm midway through MBT's Progression Playoff. Installed Master Duel and am now enjoying just slowrolling through the solo gates at this moment.

The Progression series just seem to hit all those sweet spots. The early parts for a lot of people will just be pure nostalgia and after that there is a clear sense of the decks evolving and changing over time. Due to the limited card avaiability it generally stays at a super fun janky casual level of gameplay, even if there is always that potential for crazy swings that end up in a blowout(damage step Kalut). Being free from the meta is a big advantage, but really the Progression series just all seem to manage to capture and compress that essence of what makes a TCG interesting.

Which is all a lof of words to say that there should totally be a goon organized progression format.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

This thread or the goon channel could be the event and data center to organize series of private duel.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Progression is a fun video concept but I think it has deep flaws as a limited format. The early opens can have huge ramifications for the entire duration of the series and you can frequently be on the same deck or core of cards for many weeks in a row. It is interesting how it's raised the profile of limited Yugioh though, I'd be interested to see more curated formats like Cube.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Progression is a fun video concept but I think it has deep flaws as a limited format. The early opens can have huge ramifications for the entire duration of the series and you can frequently be on the same deck or core of cards for many weeks in a row. It is interesting how it's raised the profile of limited Yugioh though, I'd be interested to see more curated formats like Cube.

That's why the additional rules in MBT's series are so good. You ban bullshit cards as a short term solution and ditch your collection right around the time it starts getting really good. It keeps progression limited.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

King of Solomon posted:

That's why the additional rules in MBT's series are so good. You ban bullshit cards as a short term solution and ditch your collection right around the time it starts getting really good. It keeps progression limited.

Yeah, one of the things I liked about Playoffs more than Cimo and Gage's progression series was that you did get a chance to see some of the weirdo decks like Morphtronics that just didn't really keep pace with a less limited cardpool. That, combined with having someone like Brent that has just a really good eye for weirdo jank and you see some really interesting stuff.

That said, I do think MBT's group has a habit of accidentally loving themselves out of a fun format by the end of an era, when their bans end up knocking out interesting decks (usually because one person does really well with it once) and they're just left with a mono-format that nobody really enjoys. I stopped watching when they got to Xyz (just for personal reasons of not having time anymore), but I remember it happened every time for the first three; specifically I remember that GX just ended up as big beatsticks and their bans in the 5Ds era meant they didn't really have the ability to make fun synchros.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah I enjoy MBT's interactions with his friends but playoffs seems like a miserable format to play most of the time. GX in particular was dire enough without banning all the interactive cards because someone didn't open any copies of them.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Yeah I enjoy MBT's interactions with his friends but playoffs seems like a miserable format to play most of the time. GX in particular was dire enough without banning all the interactive cards because someone didn't open any copies of them.

To be fair, the person who didn't open any copies would have been just out of the series forever at that point.

Part of the problem is GX and Synchro kind of just have the "best" in each pack and the rest, whilst playable, was never going to be better than that.

Xyz was much better about that, and Pendulums even more so.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Lord_Magmar posted:

To be fair, the person who didn't open any copies would have been just out of the series forever at that point.

Part of the problem is GX and Synchro kind of just have the "best" in each pack and the rest, whilst playable, was never going to be better than that.

Xyz was much better about that, and Pendulums even more so.

You say that, but they didn't ban...uh, most of the dragon rulers, and they seem determined to ban everything except Performapal Goodstuff.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

King of Solomon posted:

You say that, but they didn't ban...uh, most of the dragon rulers, and they seem determined to ban everything except Performapal Goodstuff.

The Dragon Rulers that did things got banned, the ones that didn't make a splash on their meta did not, and have any of them actually been playing Performapal Goodstuff?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Lord_Magmar posted:

The Dragon Rulers that did things got banned, the ones that didn't make a splash on their meta did not, and have any of them actually been playing Performapal Goodstuff?

Last week was the only week since Pepe became a deck that people didn't play it.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

I don't think any of the 3 different formats that I've seen so far have found the perfect balance yet. Some form of limiting or banning should occur just to rein in any extreme outliers, but I'm not super into abandoning the entire collection when they tick over into a new anime era.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Cleretic posted:

That said, I do think MBT's group has a habit of accidentally loving themselves out of a fun format by the end of an era, when their bans end up knocking out interesting decks (usually because one person does really well with it once) and they're just left with a mono-format that nobody really enjoys.
How about forcing the banner to play their opponent’s deck in next match if they choose to do so? They might be incentivize to ban a useless card to improve the deck instead. :v:

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Apr 6, 2022

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

King of Solomon posted:

I think the problem with their ban system is that it's really good at shutting down singular powerful playmakers, but it's basically impossible for them to check a more all-rounded deck without clear power cards. It's why GX turned into vanilla beatsticks, why 5Ds mostly got dominated by Blackwings by the end, and why Dragon Rulers and Performapals are hard to check; they just don't have the capacity to ban cards fast enough.

I think Cimo and Gage had the right idea by implementing the Traditional banlist on top of their hall-of-faming for that reason.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Apr 6, 2022

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

There's obviously pluses and minuses to both series. If we ever set up a goon prog series (which I am in favour for since it sounds like a good time and an excuse to play with actual people) we'll need to decide how WE will be handling stuff like bans, F/L lists, and what packs to open.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Cleretic posted:

I think the problem with their ban system is that it's really good at shutting down singular powerful playmakers, but it's basically impossible for them to check a more all-rounded deck without clear power cards. It's why GX turned into vanilla beatsticks, why 5Ds mostly got dominated by Blackwings by the end, and why Dragon Rulers and Performapals are hard to check; they just don't have the capacity to ban cards fast enough.

I think Cimo and Gage had the right idea by implementing the Traditional banlist on top of their hall-of-faming for that reason.

Nah, their choice to use traditional instead of the actual modern banlist led to the show dumpstering in quality. You need to straight-up ban cards, and often, for a progression series to work. From watching both MBT's and Cimo's shows, as well as doing my own prog with a friend of mine using rules largely based on MBT's, that's READILY apparent.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think cards should be banned for one of two reasons:
- too many people in the format are on the same thing, a ban is required to shake things up (eg some of the Chaos cards probably have to go or else that'll be the dominant strategy for a long time)
- an individual card is just too strong and keeps deciding games (eg something like Painful Choice is going to start instantly winning every game it resolves at some point in 5Ds)
If there's a lot of people in a league it could work on some kind of voting system.

In terms of catchup mechanics I'd rather give someone who's consistently losing some extra pulls or a "craft", giving them bans as a catchup mechanic is awkward because they'll often end up banning out bread-and-butter cards that allow the format to actually function as a game.

In terms of trying to create variety I also think throwing away all the previous sets once you hit a new era is too extreme since eg a lot of GX cards don't function without DM cards and they also assume you have basic interaction from past sets. It might be better to have a rule where you need to play a certain number of new era cards in your deck.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

In terms of trying to create variety I also think throwing away all the previous sets once you hit a new era is too extreme since eg a lot of GX cards don't function without DM cards and they also assume you have basic interaction from past sets. It might be better to have a rule where you need to play a certain number of new era cards in your deck.

For what it's worth, when my buddy and I did our run, we gave ourselves 3 copies of Polymerization and talked about allowing other cards that might be important later (like Manju, for example)

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

King of Solomon posted:

we gave ourselves 3 copies of Polymerization and talked about allowing other cards that might be important later
Perhaps banning isn’t the best way to do thing, but allowing the player to select a few key cards to make their deck works is better.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Just spitballing here, but depending on the amount of people involved you could have one person ban a card, another gets to set one to semi and another to limited. And then maybe at the turn over points between eras there is a group vote for unbans? Adding some limited form of crafting also seems good to even things out.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Nyaa posted:

Perhaps banning isn’t the best way to do thing, but allowing the player to select a few key cards to make their deck works is better.

Nah, banning cards was really important, and emptying the pool periodically helped keep things fun. If I had the choice between keeping bans and rotation or keeping everything around, I'd choose the former every time.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

I imagine it's the kind of thing that could be discussed and worked on as those bridges are came to :v: it also probably depends on specific bans too and having good threat assessment, plus if this thing ended up having more than 5 people it could end up having more than two cards banned per week which could also help deal with some of the more obvious threats (depending on interest and all that)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Did Adamancipator also get new support in the recent selection packs? I've been in the upper Plat ranks most seasons and was Plat I last season and saw them maybe once in over 100 duels, but in the past few days I think I've played five of the same deck