Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Paper thin walls and all it takes is one yappy dog to ensure no one's sleeping.

Bleck posted:

I think No Pet Clauses should be illegal and also are, and that should never change. That being said, everyone that lives in an apartment with a dog That Barks A Lot can suck deeply from my rear end.

The solution is to kidnap the yappy dog and raise it as your own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Raenir Salazar posted:

Why are so many apartments for rent "NO PETS!" What did they do to wrong you!?

I am literally looking for apartments right now and it's so frustrating that so many are NO PETS! Always in caps. I understand a little as the apartment above where I am living now the landlord is literally pulling up the floorboards from dog piss and needing to redo everything, but the tenants were delinquent on payments and effectively squatting. (they also like, hated that dog and it barked when they weren't around, and they yelled at it when they were :smith: )

My two aged cats are so gentle and make no smell or mess, just let me rent the apartment!

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
As long as it's not illegal there will be No Pets clauses because there's only upside. Zero risk of having to deal with repairing damage. Zero risk of having to deal with pet noise complaints.
And it's not like you have to worry about not finding tenants.

It kind of doesn't even make sense to not put the clause if you can.

I believe the remaining problem is that even in places like Ontario or Vancouver where they've banned those clauses by landlords, the apartment building itself can still ban pets if they want to.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Raenir Salazar posted:

Why are so many apartments for rent "NO PETS!" What did they do to wrong you!?

A friend of mine came home from work one day and found two snakes in her bathtub and another behind the toilet.

This sounds like a horror movie to most people but she's a vet. She was more worried about the snakes than anything else and it turns out the guy upstairs who was keeping them wasn't treating them very well anyway.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

My friend had a basement apartment with three big dogs upstairs. When they started running and sliding around on hardwood floors it sounded like it was raining rocks lmao. She didn’t seem to mind but I would’ve had to move, and I have a pretty high tolerance for noise.

Fidelitious posted:

I believe the remaining problem is that even in places like Ontario or Vancouver where they've banned those clauses by landlords, the apartment building itself can still ban pets if they want to.

IANAL but in ON all no pets clauses are void. They can say there’s a no pets policy but they can’t enforce it or evict you for violating the clause, regardless of whether it’s an apartment building.

I wouldn’t admit to lying on a rental application but the standard practice is to say you changed your mind, assuming you don’t mind having an antagonistic relationship with your landlord.

Starks fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Apr 5, 2022

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

In my experience, "No Pets" buildings tended to be fine with caged birds, fish and cats, it was usually more dogs they tended to worry about. Usually but not always.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Starks posted:

IANAL but in ON all no pets clauses are void. They can say there’s a no pets policy but they can’t enforce it or evict you for violating the clause, regardless of whether it’s an apartment building.

Not sure about purpose built apartment buildings but condo corps are allowed to have no pets clauses. There's a fairly small niche where it's allowed and enforceable, so you'd need to do some reading if you're planning on renting a condo, but I remember looking into that when I moved into one a while back and yeah if the clause is legit and you're found in violation, they're fully within their right to levy fines against the homeowner, which is probably a good way to have said homeowner suddenly need the condo for their personal use.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
There can also be restrictions on pets if they would interfere with other tenants or owners. So a landlord can’t say no pets in their building, but you can get into a lot of poo poo if your dog barks at all hours and keeps everyone awake.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

ChickenWing posted:

Not sure about purpose built apartment buildings but condo corps are allowed to have no pets clauses. There's a fairly small niche where it's allowed and enforceable, so you'd need to do some reading if you're planning on renting a condo, but I remember looking into that when I moved into one a while back and yeah if the clause is legit and you're found in violation, they're fully within their right to levy fines against the homeowner, which is probably a good way to have said homeowner suddenly need the condo for their personal use.

Yeah, this is the no pets "loophole" (at least in Ont). Landlord can't require it, but the condo corporation can and as a resident in the condo, you're bound to the condo rules.

It's been tested a few times in court and the condo corp has won each time - rough premise is that you're a partial owner of the building and you all agree to live by the same set of rules in your building. Note that the pet restriction must be written into the condo bylaws.

Whereas an apartment building has a singular owner and knows that tenants might have pets and don't give a poo poo about the other tenants. :)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I wish we just had an over-abundance of housing options so buildings could easily have rules that suited everyone and enough for everyone to choose from.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
In fun news, some ladies in Saskatoon started a really obvious ponzi scheme that not only had the benefit of ripping off investors, but also creating a giant bubble in Saskatoon's low-income housing market:

https://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/failed-saskatoon-real-estate-company-was-using-new-money-to-pay-old-money-lawyer-1.5848048

quote:

Epic Alliance was founded in 2013 by Rochelle Laflamme and Alisa Thompson. It quickly evolved into various other companies such as Epic Alliance Electrical, Epic Accounting and Bookkeeping, Epic Alliance Real Estate, Epic Holdings and EA Properties Inc. It had 118 employees at the time of its demise.

Russell said the company functioned through three main avenues: a loan program based on promissory notes, which offered interest rates as high as 20 per cent in return for loans, a "Fund-A-Flip" program and its "Hassle-Free Landlord Program."

Under the landlord program, the investor would take out the mortgage on the home and Epic would take the responsibility for everything else, promising the investor a 15 per cent guaranteed rate of return.

Epic's "fund-a-flip" program, where investors could buy homes through Epic — which would oversee improvements and upgrades — and then sell for a profit, often advertised a 10 per cent return on a one-year investment.

The overlapping programs helped Epic amass more than 500 properties in Saskatoon totalling $126 million in value, according to the company's own promotion material.

Russell said he's also troubled by how the investors were informed their money was gone.

Laflamme and Thompson spent 16 minutes on a Zoom call on Jan. 19 using swears and plain language to say, “there is nothing left," without offering an explanation or apology, other than “the FCAA f***ed us.”

Not only are some investors missing hundreds of thousands dollars – or even millions, they’re now responsible for the properties they never intended to care for.

I have 0 sympathy for these people. The business model of the company was to buy up single-family homes in Saskatoon's core neighbourhoods, and then rent them out to the people they had priced out of the market. It's basically people from B.C., upset about what foreign ownership has done to the housing market in the Vancouver area, decided to do the same thing to Saskatoon. These poor people are now stuck with the terrifying responsibility of being landlords for the properties that they bought.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to Saskatoon's housing market if 500 small single family homes come up for sale at once.

bub spank fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 5, 2022

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Randalor posted:

In my experience, "No Pets" buildings tended to be fine with caged birds, fish and cats, it was usually more dogs they tended to worry about. Usually but not always.

I had to provide references from a past landlord that my cats were not the kind to destroy the trim and piss all over the walls. So it can include cats as well, for sure.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

bub spank posted:

In fun news, some ladies in Saskatoon started a really obvious ponzi scheme that not only had the benefit of ripping off investors, but also creating a giant bubble in Saskatoon's low-income housing market:

https://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/failed-saskatoon-real-estate-company-was-using-new-money-to-pay-old-money-lawyer-1.5848048

I have 0 sympathy for these people. The business model of the company was to buy up single-family homes in Saskatoon's core neighbourhoods, and then rent them out to the people they had priced out of the market. It's basically people from B.C., upset about what foreign ownership has done to the housing market in the Vancouver area, decided to do the same thing to Saskatoon. These poor people are now stuck with the terrifying responsibility of being landlords for the properties that they bought.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to Saskatoon's housing market if 500 small single family homes come up for sale at once.

Clearly supply is the problem. We should get rid of red tape and nimbys

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Clearly supply is the problem. We should get rid of red tape and nimbys

We should just get rid of humans tbh.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Writing the draft for a scifi movie where cats and dogs have replaced humans as dominant species and all the cat landlords have a 'No Humans' clause

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

bub spank posted:

I have 0 sympathy for these people.

There's no way that the people involved didn't realize that something sketchy was going on and it follows that they then also didn't give a poo poo because they saw a potential way to personally profit so I hope they get hosed.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Had new folks come in my building with a dog that was just barking constant.

Left them a note I was worried they were dead and would have to call in a welfare check tomorrow morning if still going.

Obviously I don't like to get involved with cops, but it was kinda concerning.

They fixed it and I talked with them later. Doggo just had surgery and was in pain and sad when they were gone. It's all good now.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Stanley Pain posted:

We should just get rid of humans tbh.

We are working on it. Haven't you heard of current COVID plan: "Everything back to normal"?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Indolent Bastard posted:

We are working on it. Haven't you heard of current COVID plan: "Everything back to normal"?

Yup :smith:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

bub spank posted:

Protip: It was those same people in BC that priced each other out of the BC property market, by doing this exact same thing. These were just the ones too late to the party to get in on anything but shoe box condos in BC.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

bub spank posted:

Unlike crypto, there's probably things you can seize and sell to get something back for the victims

Also upon further reading: lol no such thing as free money

Isentropy fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 5, 2022

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Pet chat, I've seen restrictions on aquarium sizes for apartments, but that just seems to be a bit of reasonable risk limiting. Like a pet deposit. But, I also understand the greedheads doing the greed thing, like those caught up in the Sask Ponzi scheme. It's tougher to scam the honest and non greedy.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

BRB, installing a 20,000 gallon reef setup in my 25th floor apartment.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

McGavin posted:

BRB, installing a 20,000 gallon reef setup in my 25th floor apartment.

Just fill your balcony with water and put fish in it. they can't ding you for outdoor fish.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
That probably needs to also go into the OSHA thread maybe? Imagine one of those panels giving way. :stare:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It was, ages ago. I think we figured out there could be as much as 2000kg of water there. which is like 1950kg more than Modern condo balconies are designed for.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

B33rChiller posted:

Pet chat, I've seen restrictions on aquarium sizes for apartments, but that just seems to be a bit of reasonable risk limiting. Like a pet deposit. But, I also understand the greedheads doing the greed thing, like those caught up in the Sask Ponzi scheme. It's tougher to scam the honest and non greedy.

It's totally a problem with the market, though. When demand is loving insane, you can limit risk to an arbitrary degree because you'll always find tenants.

The answer isn't relaxing development standards; it's making somewhere other than the lower mainland and the GTA desirable to live in. I mean, look at the sheer amount of middling cities in the US that wouldn't loving suck to live in, and you'd be able to find a job. Or, similarly, in Spain or in Germany or in Japan or any number of other first-world countries. We need to develop that here, because honestly we don't have it right now for most people. We have next to no actual constraints on the availability of land but for the fact that everyone wants to live in the same two metro areas (add in Calgary if you're in resources).

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

PT6A posted:

It's totally a problem with the market, though. When demand is loving insane, you can limit risk to an arbitrary degree because you'll always find tenants.

The answer isn't relaxing development standards; it's making somewhere other than the lower mainland and the GTA desirable to live in. I mean, look at the sheer amount of middling cities in the US that wouldn't loving suck to live in, and you'd be able to find a job. Or, similarly, in Spain or in Germany or in Japan or any number of other first-world countries. We need to develop that here, because honestly we don't have it right now for most people. We have next to no actual constraints on the availability of land but for the fact that everyone wants to live in the same two metro areas (add in Calgary if you're in resources).

I grew up in Kitchener. I won't be able to afford to live here. I don't want to live in those other places, but the backsplash from the Toronto market is loving us over, when it is over 100 km away. This market is hosed and the government does nothing to properly fix it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

MatchaZed posted:

I grew up in Kitchener. I won't be able to afford to live here. I don't want to live in those other places, but the backsplash from the Toronto market is loving us over, when it is over 100 km away. This market is hosed and the government does nothing to properly fix it.

Yeah, it's insane; it's not workable, it can't form the basis of a functional society.

We need people from around the country and indeed from around the world to think things like "Regina? Winnipeg? Lethbridge? Fredericton? Sure, those sound like nice places I wouldn't loving hate to live, and I think I could make a living there." But, no, we have these two massive black holes drawing all the investment and industry, and everyone's miserable as a result.

You think the capitalists love it? Unless they're specifically involved in real estate, they don't. They can't find employees at a reasonable salary because everyone's like "gently caress you I can't afford to live in Vancouver for that." They wish they didn't have to be based there too!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Our place allows for cats but not dogs which is totally unfair because dogs are the best. That being said we just got a kitten and the kitten wants everyone to know that cats are the best.

My dad's complex used to allow for dogs but one too many barking late at night dogs and they have now said no dogs allowed. However all those late night barking dogs have been grandfathered in so the barking continues.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

PT6A posted:

I mean, look at the sheer amount of middling cities in the US that wouldn't loving suck to live in,

I'm going to have to stop you right there because there is no such thing, unless you have enough cash to live comfortably anywhere in the world in which case why are you flipping a coin to choose between Boise and Des Moines?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

The other problem is that a lot of places have size restrictions on dogs and I really think it's counterproductive. The vast majority of big dogs are very chill, unless you specifically train them to be otherwise. Small dogs are frequently loud assholes, and frequently aggressive, it's just that they can't do any damage because they're tiny so people put up with lovely behaviour.

Great Dane? Wonderful apartment dog, chill as gently caress, not a lot of pent-up energy and barking. Pom? Dumb as poo poo, barking all the loving time, bites anything it can get it's tiny, stupid mouth around.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

eXXon posted:

I'm going to have to stop you right there because there is no such thing, unless you have enough cash to live comfortably anywhere in the world in which case why are you flipping a coin to choose between Boise and Des Moines?

Well, yeah, I can see that. But I feel like someone being told "yeah, your job is going to transfer you to Minneapolis" is probably going to be met with less consternation than "you're being transferred to Thunder Bay."

To make another comparison: you know why CBC doesn't make a Canadian version of Escape to the Country? Because everyone would eventually figure out it's the Okanagan every loving time, because there's no other semi-rural place you'd willingly put up with. Maybe 1 out of 10 episodes could be "cottage country" in Ontario, and another 1 out of 10 might be somewhere on the east coast where the primary industry is Anne of Green Gables.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

The Calgary Police Service is throwing a tantrum about being told to remove their stupid, lovely Thin Blue Line patches, and the chief is trying to delay the implementation of the new rule which was decided by the civilian overseers.

Why do we put up with this poo poo? "Oh, police morale is at an all time low :qq:" Good, it loving should be. People are pissed off because you're loving useless, racist assholes who've protected the white supremacist anti-vaxx pieces of garbage who've befouled our city for two years. I bet if the police weren't racist, useless assholes, no one would give the furry crack of a rat's rear end what the gently caress you wear on your uniform! Maybe do something about that first, instead of whining about civilian oversight.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

but they say it's about remembering the fallen YOU WOULDN'T DISREPECT ARE FALLIN TROUPS WOOD YOU

It doesn't matter what nonsense meaning they say they've ascribed to the symbol after-the-fact. The black band over the badge is what you wear to commemorate the fallen. The TBL patch is what you wear to demonstrate your commitment to killology and white nationalism in policing. You assholes wanna play soldier, fine: Follow your loving orders.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

It's amazing how every other dangerous profession manages to remember those who've lost their lives without using symbols of white supremacy. Really makes you think...

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

but they say it's about remembering the fallen YOU WOULDN'T DISREPECT ARE FALLIN TROUPS WOOD YOU

It doesn't matter what nonsense meaning they say they've ascribed to the symbol after-the-fact. The black band over the badge is what you wear to commemorate the fallen. The TBL patch is what you wear to demonstrate your commitment to killology and white nationalism in policing. You assholes wanna play soldier, fine: Follow your loving orders.

The fallen? As in your wives who have “fallen”down the stairs?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

The thing I find really odd about the situation is the lack of introspection on the part of the cops as to why so many people hate them.

No one likes crime. Literally no one thinks, "hey, you know what would be great? more crimes!" The concept of a group of people who exist to prevent crime and punish wrongdoers is an inherently positive thing for 99% of humanity. If you start from that concept, and end up at a place where people hate you and call you bastards all the time... it's probably a structural problem that needs to be addressed.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

PT6A posted:

it's probably a structural problem that needs to be addressed.

One of the many lessons out of Ottawa this year was that reform is for all intents and purposes impossible. Even in the exceedingly unlikely situation that you get someone in a leadership position who is dedicated to reform, the lower brass and rank and file will absolutely frag them the very first opportunity they are given, to prevent them from implementing their agenda. Sloly was a lesson to everyone re: exactly what will happen to you and your career if you show up talking about the structural problems that need to be addressed.

I too believed reform was possible, and it plainly is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Sloly hosed himself on his way in the door by calling out the OPS for systemic racism, without clarifying that a systemically racist system doesn't necessarily mean a plurality of the people in it are racist (even though they demonstrably are), and by citing a report that didn't actually prove the thing he was claiming because the one that would've proved it hadn't been published yet. Throw in some loud reformer talk and yeah you've got a great guide on how no tot take command and have people do what you say. Every time he was in front of a camera, or addressing the public, he stepped on his dick. Literally every single time.

This is entirely separate and apart from the impossibility of reforming a police agency in situ, which the Knapp Commission proved before these twits were born.