Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Right, I understand the soft/hard level caps but I was more thinking of *how* to get to those levels. Like, say I want to hit 40 vigor / 60 dexterity. Do I alternate back and forth between the two keeping them roughly even as I level them up or should I go all-in on one stat at a time? My concern is with the stats changing the rate at which they increase so I could be spending like 20 levels not really increasing anything significantly where it would have been more effective to just dump it into one before focusing on the next

To provide more context, I'm currently working on a faith/dex build. So right now I'm looking at wanting to still level up vigor, mind, dex, faith, and maybe a sprinkling of endurance so I can reliably wear some heavier armor sets without having to rely on a great rune / talisman. Should I look up the exact levels each of these stats should get to and just go all-in on them one at a time or generally level them up evenly until each one hits whatever my goal is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

infraboy posted:

I used a brass shield which has decent guard rating and isn't as heavy as a tower shield and put golden parry ash on it, basically makes it as a good as a buckler for parrying but it also has 100 block for eating the first waterfowl dance, the 2nd and 3rd attacks can be dodged relatively easily.

Malenia still took me nearly a week but it was so rewarding beating her straight up.

Brass shield is the best medium shield in the game iirc.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

No Dignity posted:

Thank you for explaining my joke :)

sorry im pretty high and slow witted at the moment

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Phenotype posted:

You know, back when this thing first came out I was wondering if naming the god/queen "Marika" was a vehicle for them to insert a bunch of subtle commentary and analogies about America. And this theory proves that was undoubtedly the case.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Blue Raider posted:

Brass shield is the best medium shield in the game iirc.

It's Carian Knight Shield (because it's coolest looking)

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Right, I understand the soft/hard level caps but I was more thinking of *how* to get to those levels. Like, say I want to hit 40 vigor / 60 dexterity. Do I alternate back and forth between the two keeping them roughly even as I level them up or should I go all-in on one stat at a time? My concern is with the stats changing the rate at which they increase so I could be spending like 20 levels not really increasing anything significantly where it would have been more effective to just dump it into one before focusing on the next

To provide more context, I'm currently working on a faith/dex build. So right now I'm looking at wanting to still level up vigor, mind, dex, faith, and maybe a sprinkling of endurance so I can reliably wear some heavier armor sets without having to rely on a great rune / talisman. Should I look up the exact levels each of these stats should get to and just go all-in on them one at a time or generally level them up evenly until each one hits whatever my goal is?

You should go all in on what you think would make the game easier for you, if you can't decide go vigor first until you think you have enough.

The difference between 30 dex, and 60 dex on one of the best S scaling weapons, is only about 550 vs 700. That is at level +25, at level +10 it's the diffence between 30 and 60 is 330 and 408.

It's about 1 half more sword swings. Where as having a ton more health will always be useful.

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 5, 2022

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I’ve really done around on Latenna for certain bosses, mostly huge stuff. Dragons, Erdtree Avatars, Tree Spirits, and any other thing that’s real real big she just pounds on mercilessly.

I just got a certain Mr. Eater as a summon and he is a big tank man as well.

I’m sure Tiche is still the best just because of her crazy damage output, but it’s fun to goof around with other stuff.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Just level them roughly evenly, maybe have a stopping point in mind (like you probably don't need more than 20-30 Mind unless you're going heavy on casting, you probably don't need more than 20-30 Endurance unless you want to wear turbo-heavy armor and wield colossal weapons) but otherwise go with your gut.

As for "benefit per stat point" curves the only big one that might be worth keeping in mind is Vigor. Up to 40 Vigor, each point is worth more than the last; this starts to go down from 40 to 60, but you still get meaningful gains. At any point up to 60, another 10 points of Vigor will be a really noticeable improvement to your survivability. This might just be me but that leads me to sort of binge-level Vigor at certain breakpoints. Like I go all-in on Vigor early on until I hit 30 (while also getting the stats to at least wield the weapons I want to use). Then I'll do that again to hit 40 when I'm ready to enter Altus and Leyndell. Then I'll do it again once I'm in the mountaintops until it's 50. But that's just because I like the immediate, noticeable survivability boost. Doing it more gradually would get me to the same end point.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Am I crazy or did there used to be a summon pool right before the Misbegotten/Crucible boss fight?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol I failed to co-op with a friend last night for an hour because, inexplicably, Elden Ring is the one game that Steam doesn't give a poo poo is updated or not and he didn't have the Radahn buff hotfix installed.

He was still summoned to counter-invade people though

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is there a source that says the Greater Will hasn’t communicated with anyone in a long time

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

Am I crazy or did there used to be a summon pool right before the Misbegotten/Crucible boss fight?

They got rid of the summon pool before Fort faroth behind the giant dragon field boss so I'm sure they've been loving around with this stuff.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

Is there a source that says the Greater Will hasn’t communicated with anyone in a long time

After you make it to the tree, Enia implies it will take hundreds of years for the fingers to contact the GW, presumably because it’s hundreds of light-years away. So if the GW has communicated with anyone recently, it must have been a very late response to something. Possibly the Fingers’ calling back the Tarnished to become Elden Lord was the most recent piece of input the GW has had.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

skasion posted:

After you make it to the tree, Enia implies it will take hundreds of years for the fingers to contact the GW, presumably because it’s hundreds of light-years away. So if the GW has communicated with anyone recently, it must have been a very late response to something. Possibly the Fingers’ calling back the Tarnished to become Elden Lord was the most recent piece of input the GW has had.

I took this to mean the Two Fingers were just "checking in the back" waiting for you to go away.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://twitter.com/valdotpng/status/1511063762845020176

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

SettingSun posted:

I took this to mean the Two Fingers were just "checking in the back" waiting for you to go away.

Why, though? The Fingers want you to become Elden Lord. Enia says that they’re shook because you couldn’t get into the Erdtree, and this makes sense to me: you can’t do the one thing they wanted you to do without torching the tree, the cardinal sin and a direct attack on the Greater Will’s order. I feel their need for new instructions from space is genuine.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the two fingers looking like an old rear end television antenna only makes the "phonecall to space" angle more probable, imo

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If the Fingers wanted to be rid of the player, they'd try a lot harder than just "maybe if we ignore them they'll go away." We see what they do to people they want to be rid of with Ranni, for example.

It's more likely that the Fingers are just as much in the dark as anyone else.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

skasion posted:

"BOSS WE GOT SOME PROBLEMS"

"Oh hey fingers how was Marika and Godfrey's wedding?"

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Vermain posted:

the two fingers looking like an old rear end television antenna only makes the "phonecall to space" angle more probable, imo

Also fits with how there’s satellite dishes everywhere

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

actually, come to think of it, that's probably why there's dead twin fingers at the top of each divine tower: they went there to try and get better reception and died waiting for a response

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
That loving bear on the way to the volcano mansion place. Holy gently caress you. Two things that have absolutely terrified me in this game is climbing that tower while making jumps on broken rear end ledges while I get vertigo, and the murder bears. I just scream at my monitor while rolling until something dies.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

Vermain posted:

actually, come to think of it, that's probably why there's dead twin fingers at the top of each divine tower: they went there to try and get better reception and died waiting for a response

I think that's right, they were put on top of the towers for better reception but died because they're no longer connected to the erdtree. All the living fingers are still in the ground (although who knows what's up with the roundtable hold in terms of its physical/temporal location).

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I love this game for creeping me out and giving me vertigo.

Anyway, last night I gaind 2 early 60-s levels just trying to get that banished knight at the dragon temple in Caelid to give me his loving pants. I've got 2 swords, 4 shields, 5 chests and 3 gloves and 1 pants out of it.

At some point my wife had to tell me to shut up as I trash talked the RNG.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

PIZZA.BAT posted:

general priority I use when in the process of making builds is:

1.) get to a minimal "safe" level of vigor for the area of the game I'm in. 20 is a good place to start in Limgrave and Weeping Peninsula pre-Stormveil for example
2.) figure out what I want to use between equipment and spells, work towards the minimum stat requirement for using this loadout
3.) pump vigor for a while to get a nice health buffer
4.) start getting some scaling stats. early on stat contribution isn't too great but lategame when scaling gets higher from upgrades and enemies have a lot more health it adds up.
5.) get any of the two ancillary stats I want (end, mind) based on what I'm doing with my build and whether equip load, fp, etc. feels lacking
6.) (optional) use the larval tears I've accumulated to respec if I pick up any shiny new stuff I need to adjust my build to use or if I feel I didn't bump my vigor enough. you get a lot just from exploring and playing, my current character is sitting on like 13.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

DiHK posted:

I love this game for creeping me out and giving me vertigo.

Anyway, last night I gaind 2 early 60-s levels just trying to get that banished knight at the dragon temple in Caelid to give me his loving pants. I've got 2 swords, 4 shields, 5 chests and 3 gloves and 1 pants out of it.

At some point my wife had to tell me to shut up as I trash talked the RNG.

I had 5-15 of everything before I got the helmet then on my second character the helmet dropped from my first kill. It's my favourite armor set in the game though!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

TastyAvocado posted:

(although who knows what's up with the roundtable hold in terms of its physical/temporal location).

It’s probably a remembrance hewn into the Erdtree. Dead things go back to the tree, and the real roundtable is certainly dead. It’s the “table of lost grace” that we visit. This would also explain why it catches fire with the Erdtree itself

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Go all in on vigor first since it has the biggest gains. Damage stats like dex/faith are worse early on but better once your weapons are more upgraded since higher upgrades = better scaling = more damage gained per stat point.

Then level whichever of dex/fth increases your damage more with your weapon of choice. You can see the weapon AR previews on the level-up screen so just see which option gives bigger number. Throw mind or end in arbitrarily whenever you feel like you need more I guess

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I figured they died when you took the great rune of their champion, and that they were on at least some level working at cross purpose to each other.

Also several NPCs Varre, Gideon, and Ranni state that the Two Fingers (or the Finger Readers, it's unclear) are out of communication with the Greater Will and just bluffing/trying their best, but they're all pretty biased.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

PIZZA.BAT posted:

In this game here is how to choose where points go when leveling up on a first run:

1. Spellcasting or damage stats to use a desired spell or weapon (within reason don't rush to 35 INT for one spell)
2. Vigor up to 40
3. Mind to use a desired Ash Summon
4. Endurance

So basically, unless you just got a new weapon that you need 2-3 more DEX for or whatever, just keep dumping points in to vigor, then make sure your mind and endurance are where you want them, and then come back to pumping up damage stats.

Then later, when you have more points to play with, you can respec and tweak the numbers to make more sense for what you are doing later in the game.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Trying to avoid the wiki for spoilers and confusion, but want to know how to continue the Ranni quest.
  • Met Blaidd.
  • Pledged to Ranni.
  • Spoke to Seluvis.
  • Gave Nepheli Loux's (ex-?)father the potion because gently caress Seluvis.
  • Returned to Seluvis to report in.
  • Met and summoned Blaidd in the Radahn fight.
  • Have visited and possibly completed Nokron with no signs of the Ranni quest there.
  • Went back to Ranni and she's just sleeping silently?

Should I go to that one fort in the south of Caelid where even the lowly bats could stomp me?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I would hazard a guess that Marika and Radagon and the Elden Beast being locked inside the tree with the shattered Elden Ring is part of why the Greater Will is having problems communicating. To me it seems that the Greater Will used to be accessible and the Two Fingers are trying to re-establish contact. But the Elden Ring and more importantly Marika make it impossible until you fix the system. Possibly because all prior communication with the Greater Will went through the Elden Beast.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
I think Enia implies it can take millenia for the two fingers to even get a response so I guess an upset in the a distant space colony/experiment/whatever the Lands Between is to the Greater Will takes so long for the Greater Will and the two fingers to fix it could easily seem that they’re doing absolutely nothing.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

RBA Starblade posted:

It's Carian Knight Shield (because it's coolest looking)

That requires int, and is therefore bad, sorry.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

VagueRant posted:

Trying to avoid the wiki for spoilers and confusion, but want to know how to continue the Ranni quest.
  • Met Blaidd.
  • Pledged to Ranni.
  • Spoke to Seluvis.
  • Have visited and possibly completed Nokron with no signs of the Ranni quest there.

Should I go to that one fort in the south of Caelid where even the lowly bats could stomp me?

Check out Renna's Rise, north of Ranni's tower.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

VagueRant posted:

• Met Blaidd.
  • Pledged to Ranni.
  • Spoke to Seluvis.

There's an item in Nokron you have to find.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

VagueRant posted:

• Met Blaidd.
  • Pledged to Ranni.
  • Spoke to Seluvis.

What was the last boss you fought in Nokron?

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Another good early game farm without much effort.
- Night Calvary: From Lenne's Rise, pass time to night and ride north, aggroing the Night Calvary. Just ride right up the hill triggering every poison trap on the road you can, which should poison the Night Calvary. Keep him right on your butt, don't sprint. When you reach the three vulgar militia at the top of the hill, turn sharp 90° left and make sure your camera stays facing north. Night Calvary will leash back and presumably fall to his death. 45000 and arguably the best universal Ash of War.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

VagueRant posted:

• Met Blaidd.
  • Pledged to Ranni.
  • Spoke to Seluvis.

Did you explore Night's Sacred Ground in Nokron? There's an item you need there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

VagueRant posted:

• Met Blaidd.
  • Pledged to Ranni.
  • Spoke to Seluvis.

there's a sub-area in Nokron you have to jump down to from the area after the mimic tear boss that has the ancestral followers