Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Radical posted:

honkai always let you skip the cutscenes (also the story is better)

Honkai story is mediocre thst slowly got worse as it went into imaginary tree poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Stare-Out posted:

For some reason the Chasm gave me real WoW flashbacks, I'm not sure why.

It felt like that cave area in the level 20-30ish horde area that had a jump I missed and everyone bitched me out so much I quit. Gamers

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Stare-Out posted:

For some reason the Chasm gave me real WoW flashbacks, I'm not sure why. The zone felt kind of like something from that game. The music too with the Silvermoon City-like cellos and I think I heard some Howling Fjord in there too.
I think it's because the caves are so tall. From what little I saw of WoW it was full of tall-rear end caves.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Note Block posted:

Raiden's second story quest was great

The underlying story was good. The novel's worth of additional dialog that now plagues the game was not. I should not be able to mash circle the entire time and still get all the context purely from the large amount of repetition. The mandatory inputs from the traveler are just a function to check if you're still awake. It's got the feeling of someone stretching two paragraphs into a ten-page essay.

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

Milosh posted:

I'm AR 45 and most of my chars are stuck at 60. What the hell do I do to get their mats? I suck at this game despite putting in way too much time (on the toilet).

Check Honey Hunter, it will tell you what everyone needs and who drops it.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Mailer posted:

The underlying story was good. The novel's worth of additional dialog that now plagues the game was not. I should not be able to mash circle the entire time and still get all the context purely from the large amount of repetition. The mandatory inputs from the traveler are just a function to check if you're still awake. It's got the feeling of someone stretching two paragraphs into a ten-page essay.

Good news, Raiden's second story quest doesn't really do that!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

dogsicle posted:

i feel like aside from Labyrinth Warriors and Lantern Rite (Inferior Version) there hasn't been much to complain about writing-wise? oh and Kokomi having a kinda stupid character quest i guess.

i'm sitting on Ayato and Itto atm but was very pleased with where Raiden has gone and Yae's as well though yeah i can agree the main Chasm stuff was just tedious because of Zhiqiong.

The second half of the Vision Hunt Decree stuff and everything once you were on Watatsumi Island once you found out that people were using Delusions and Teppei died were some dire stuff.

That said, I liked the part where Raiden strolled down and gave Signora the you vs Exodia experience.

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

using dialog choice boxes to contain two halves of the same same sentence & having a silent mc except for one(1) jarringly voiced line every 10 hours is so loving funny. avant garde masterpiece, almost surely unintentionally.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
The cut to white on black with the text is straight outta silent films. Just bizarre.

You explain what happened to the NPC...

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It must be an ingrained culture thing because they are quite literally doing the least cost efficient thing of writing extra dialogue that is *voiced* by all 3 language VA's every single patch....in the profile menu.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
Honkai_writing.png :

Imagine 10 pages of this for every 20 seconds of gameplay. Honkai chapters take multiple hours to complete and have something like 20 stages with 1 minute of gameplay each. Sometimes they paste some of this stuff into gameplay, but they are frequently white text on bright backgrounds while you're trying to do combos and time your dodges in an action game.
The latest chapter had a stage in which a character just slowly shuffles nowhere in particular while having an unskippable monologue that lasts several minutes. I know this because stages have timers, since it's supposed to be an action game. It gives you a score screen at the end that shows your time.

In early chapters you'll actually just fail the additional rewards from beating the stage fast if you don't click through the story quickly and try to read it. I think they eventually noticed that this is dumb and later chapters don't have it as a rewards requirement any more.

People that consider Genshin to be too verbose should be very afraid of the future miHoYo has in store for them.
Sumeru even has "scholars", be very afraid.
We had Honkai chapters where three to four "scientists" met. It gets very silly.

"Imaginary dimensional bleeds" will always be my favourite. It's such a pile of word vomit that it cracked me up and they kept going on and on about it.

I should've screenshotted more of these.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Sanctum posted:

The cut to white on black with the text is straight outta silent films. Just bizarre.

You explain what happened to the NPC...

It would be both hilarious and cool if they used the white text cutaway to explain events.

“So and so explains the hand wavey bullshit about why there’s a mysterious dimensional portal here. And why you should go inside.”

Then cut to the event explanation graphics.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Zwiebel posted:

Sometimes they paste some of this stuff into gameplay, but they are frequently white text on bright backgrounds while you're trying to do combos and time your dodges in an action game.

oh my god they are never going to add customable subtitles to Genshin are they? feels like every cutscene runs into this and it's so simple to just have a loving thicker black outline that would fix it

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

I didn't like Raiden's second story quest because it took a character who should have been severe/badass and focused on her emotional problems that were only solved because you, the player, were there to help her. I would contrast it with Zhongli, who also has a very sad backstory, but the player doesn't help him work through it in any way. We're just there to occupy his time. So it ended up feeling gendered in a bad way to me.

I think Keqing has been the victim of similar character assassination where she's presented as this hardass who everyone is slightly afraid of, but other than her introduction everything about her has been all about high school girl problems.

While I get that "a situation/nation in stasis is shaken up by the introduction of an outsider" is sort of a classic fantasy/D&D story format, it feels shallow and unearned in these cases because the Traveler is such a nothing character and it happens too quickly.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Raiden's second story is unique in that it had a large effect on the game world. The only other character quest that had any effect on anything was Venti's story quest turning Stanley into a sadsack around mondstadt. It would be great of character quests actually influenced the overall narrative/world, but with a 10 year plan that's asking a lot.

If there's a general principle between the archon quests at this point it's that everyone wants the archons to be their gods but they don't really believe in it and it feels wrong. (I found Venti's display for Stanley the most compelling because it feels so wrong for Venti to do but Stanley wants it so bad.)

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Apr 5, 2022

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Xalidur posted:

I didn't like Raiden's second story quest because it took a character who should have been severe/badass and focused on her emotional problems that were only solved because you, the player, were there to help her. I would contrast it with Zhongli, who also has a very sad backstory, but the player doesn't help him work through it in any way. We're just there to occupy his time. So it ended up feeling gendered in a bad way to me.

I think Keqing has been the victim of similar character assassination where she's presented as this hardass who everyone is slightly afraid of, but other than her introduction everything about her has been all about high school girl problems.

While I get that "a situation/nation in stasis is shaken up by the introduction of an outsider" is sort of a classic fantasy/D&D story format, it feels shallow and unearned in these cases because the Traveler is such a nothing character and it happens too quickly.

I don't remember much of Keqing's storyline outside of the last Lantern Rite quest, so I can't comment on that, but I don't think Raiden came off less badass, if only because when you return to the other dimension to help her, you find out that Ei and the Shogun have been dueling for years, possibly even centuries, and after the fight Ei admits that if she had lost her focus for even a second during that time, she would be dead. I thought it was one of the few times that one of the god characters actually felt like a god in terms of ability.

Maybe I'm being too forgiving though, because I do think you have a valid argument that can be made, at least with Keqing

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The whole idea of Raiden's quest is her meeting the soldier ghosts and seeing just how much she sucks by comparison.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Zwiebel posted:

Honkai_writing.png :

<Snip>

"Imaginary dimensional bleeds" will always be my favourite. It's such a pile of word vomit that it cracked me up and they kept going on and on about it.

I should've screenshotted more of these.

I don't know if there was one good techobabble line about it, but you missed Nagamitsu's explanation that something had a zero percent chance of success. But as you approach the Imaginary Tree(?) reality begins to break down and reverse and there will be a moment where zero becomes infinity!

And a dimensional teleport sending someone inside of her own magical bloodline powers.

And three death fake outs in one chapter, two of which were for characters we've seen in the in game sequel, one of which played loving amazing grace.

And the attempt to pad by adding a lovely faux open world that looks like a PS1 game.

(And the occasional actual good parts and making the end of every arc feel like it could be the end of the whole game if there wasn't so much other stuff unresolved.)

It's junk. (And I love it.)

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!

Captain France posted:

I don't know if there was one good techobabble line about it, but you missed Nagamitsu's explanation that something had a zero percent chance of success. But as you approach the Imaginary Tree(?) reality begins to break down and reverse and there will be a moment where zero becomes infinity!

Yeah, that's in the lead-up to Otto. I had to do that boss fight several times, because he will frequently just push the horse out of bounds and there's no death plane or anything that stops you from infinitely falling.
I did the Post Honkai 2 final boss the other day and it was such jank, it makes Sonic 2006 look like a masterpiece of game development.
Honkai falls on its face so that Genshin can fly.

Captain France posted:

It's junk. (And I love it.)

Yeah, that's where I'm at as well. I like Honkai well enough, but I can't respect it.
I looked up an explanation for the "Durandal has an Isekai adventure off-screen, no it's not translated into english" and it sounds like someone playing mad libs with Final Fantasy.

Looking forward to the inevitable crossover into Genshin (please let it be Fu Hua or the Vodka twins).

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

No Wave posted:

Raiden's second story is unique in that it had a large effect on the game world. The only other character quest that had any effect on anything was Venti's story quest turning Stanley into a sadsack around mondstadt. It would be great of character quests actually influenced the overall narrative/world, but with a 10 year plan that's asking a lot.

If there's a general principle between the archon quests at this point it's that everyone wants the archons to be their gods but they don't really believe in it and it feels wrong. (I found Venti's display for Stanley the most compelling because it feels so wrong for Venti to do but Stanley wants it so bad.)

Pretty much the exact impression I had

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

if genshin let me click through the text way faster or just skip it entirely the story would instantly get way better

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Zwiebel posted:

Yeah, that's in the lead-up to Otto. I had to do that boss fight several times, because he will frequently just push the horse out of bounds and there's no death plane or anything that stops you from infinitely falling.
I did the Post Honkai 2 final boss the other day and it was such jank, it makes Sonic 2006 look like a masterpiece of game development.

Yeah, that's where I'm at as well. I like Honkai well enough, but I can't respect it.
I looked up an explanation for the "Durandal has an Isekai adventure off-screen, no it's not translated into english" and it sounds like someone playing mad libs with Final Fantasy.

Looking forward to the inevitable crossover into Genshin (please let it be Fu Hua or the Vodka twins).

Can Fu Hua be two Archons? I mean she and the Herscherr Of Sentence are really two different characters and they're the best two.

For a collab crossover, please let it be Carole or Fun Kiana.

(I didn't encounter any issues with the APHO2 finale, but I'm pretty sure I was way overleveled.)

Edit:
Also your problem was that there was a zero percent chance of you being pushed out of bounds, but as you approached God Otto you reached a moment where zero became infinity.

(Apologies if this isn't as funny to anyone else, I ran out of my sleeping pills and have been off for a few days.)

Captain France fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 5, 2022

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Xalidur posted:

Well unfortunately, (it took help from Yae Miko) we're the only person in Teyvat willing and able to battle her to a standstill since Zhongli's certainly not coming to Inazunma anytime soon. And as has been made clear, martial arts are kinda her entire thing. So there's not a whole lot of people on the list to ask for help on that one.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Shinji2015 posted:

I don't remember much of Keqing's storyline outside of the last Lantern Rite quest, so I can't comment on that, but I don't think Raiden came off less badass, if only because when you return to the other dimension to help her, you find out that Ei and the Shogun have been dueling for years, possibly even centuries, and after the fight Ei admits that if she had lost her focus for even a second during that time, she would be dead. I thought it was one of the few times that one of the god characters actually felt like a god in terms of ability.

Maybe I'm being too forgiving though, because I do think you have a valid argument that can be made, at least with Keqing

Yeah, my interpretation of what went on is that Raiden Shogun did work out her own emotional journey in the most Ei way possible, with blades - specifically, beating up 500 years of her own bad decisions as embodied in the shogun puppet. However, it takes an uncounted time in order to do that, and where we come in is to anchor in the present day and fish her out of the timestream like a recalcitrant mascot character.

Venti's quest is interesting to me in that it follows along the theme of Venti believing so strongly in the freedom of the individual, and archon intervention as a means to deny it, that he won't intervene unless necessary to preserve a greater freedom. His main archonly contribution to Venessa's rebellion, for example, was an expert forgery of a Liyue contract (still not enough to fool Morax though). And while I'm not saying Stanley was necessarily going to take a long walk off a short pier that very night, intervening in this way is also pretty consistent with what Venti does to Xiao - playing a familiar flute late at night in the Dihua Marsh when the weight of karma becomes too much to bear.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I complain a lot about characters but Ayato is just awesome. You have to build hard into his normal attacks to make them especially powerful but the tools exist and they are weird (yunjin, specifically). But you can also build a comp that abuses his burst more and just use his normal attacks to spend some free field time, the same way that Ayaka's normal/charged attacks function. He's not hyper-focused into an ideal gameplay loop and his downtime is weird and unique. And you can hold down normal attack so your fingers don't hurt. Really pleased, definitely my favorite rate up since his sister.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I still don't have Jean but I remembered I have c4 Sayu so I swapped my Xiao team from Xiao/Kaz/ZL/Raiden to Xiao/Sayu/ZL/Albedo. My plunging attacks went from 25-30k crits to 40-50k crits when everything's up (to say nothing of the Albedo 10k+ pulses attached to them, or the Sayu healing), which feels like a worthwhile exchange for giving up the Kaz vacuum.

What I'm saying is: Hopefully that Xiao rerun happens soon, because I'm all-in on this. Even if now I've hit the "need a proper attack type goblet or a crit/crit dmg hat" portion of gathering Xiao's set from the new domain.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

No Wave posted:

I complain a lot about characters but Ayato is just awesome. You have to build hard into his normal attacks to make them especially powerful but the tools exist and they are weird (yunjin, specifically). But you can also build a comp that abuses his burst more and just use his normal attacks to spend some free field time, the same way that Ayaka's normal/charged attacks function. He's not hyper-focused into an ideal gameplay loop and his downtime is weird and unique. And you can hold down normal attack so your fingers don't hurt. Really pleased, definitely my favorite rate up since his sister.

Yeah he's straight up fun to play and doesn't seem underpowered or fiddly. I was happy to roll for Itto but ended up not really playing with him after getting him to friendship 10 because the play style did not really jive with me and I hated not having reactions. Ayato's gameplay gives me joy *and* he's nice to look at. 10/10

Conclusion: will continue rolling for attractive men.

cranky corvid
Sep 30, 2021

Xalidur posted:

... While I get that "a situation/nation in stasis is shaken up by the introduction of an outsider" is sort of a classic fantasy/D&D story format, it feels shallow and unearned in these cases because the Traveler is such a nothing character and it happens too quickly.
Yae talks the Traveller's importance way up when discussing her plans in and around the shrine during Omnipresence Over Mortals - The Servant's Path, but she has a well-established habit of coming up with dramatic bullshit, and I don't buy that her plans are as reliant on the Traveller as she makes it seem. The Traveller is able to defeat Ei during the second visit to her realm of consciousness thanks to the power of the collective wishes of the people of Inazuma, and I think we already see that power in play in the material world, when the visions on the Statue of the Omnipresent God light up and Kazuha blocks the Shogun's Musou no Hitotachi. Ei then pulls the Traveller into her realm of consciousness, and the Traveller fights her with their own baseline power level until they realize they should use Yae's omamori to summon Yae, which allows Yae to grant them the power of the people's wishes again, enabling them to defeat Ei so Yae can persuade her.

So the Traveller's own power is not what defeats Ei, hence it doesn't follow that she can only be defeated by the Traveller or someone with an Archon's baseline power level. And the power that does defeat her can also be applied in the material world, not only a realm of consciousness. Raiden's story quest II establishes that Ei and the Shogun are equivalent in terms of power level, since it has them fighting each other to a draw for centuries on end, and hence, if the power of the people's wishes can defeat Ei in her realm of consciousness, it follows that it can probably also defeat the Shogun in the material world. But if the Shogun is in actual serious danger, Ei will be forced to try to intervene to preserve her vision of eternity, and furthermore, since Ei previously split an island in two when she slew Orobashi, there's a problem in that the Shogun being forced to fight at full power could destroy Inazuma City. The most obvious solution to that is for Ei to pull enemies into her realm of consciousness and try to defeat them there... Meaning that the Traveller's presence is not strictly required for Yae's plans.

At the end of the second Raiden story quest, Yae also thanks the Traveller for having a strong enough will to reach Makoto's realm of consciousness during the mission to help Ei, but I see no reason to assume that such a will is unique to the Traveller and Yae couldn't have found someone else sufficiently strong-willed and motivated - for example, Kujou Sara, to name someone that subscribes to the Raiden Shogun school of cultivating unshakeable willpower. This is also after it turned out that Ei wasn't really in much need of help and was able to defeat the Shogun's challenge on her own, but the Traveller did risk their life, so Yae thinks they deserve some respect. I don't recall anything else that seemed like it would've required specifically the Traveller during Raiden's story quests, and once Ei's defeat shook her out of isolation, I don't see why Yae couldn't have helped her eventually succeed in dealing with her issues either way.

My impression of the quality of the writing in Genshin Impact is that it's mediocre overall, but I definitely feel that Raiden's second story quest is well above the game's usual level.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Haven't leveled Ayato yet because the Hydro cube sucks and I need one more 4* constellation anyway, but the team I'm brainstorming is Ayato/Raiden/XL/Yanfei. I already run a similar setup for some anti-freeze domains using Kokomi/Raiden/XL/Xinyan. I'm hoping Ayato can output more damage, while Yanfei with C4 and Prototype Amber will be enough shielding/healing. Might not pan out, but I've been using the same few teams for months and am itching for something new.

Speaking of anti-freeze, the next Abyss lineup looks like the biggest middle finger to freeze since 1.0

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

I still don't have Jean but I remembered I have c4 Sayu so I swapped my Xiao team from Xiao/Kaz/ZL/Raiden to Xiao/Sayu/ZL/Albedo. My plunging attacks went from 25-30k crits to 40-50k crits when everything's up (to say nothing of the Albedo 10k+ pulses attached to them, or the Sayu healing), which feels like a worthwhile exchange for giving up the Kaz vacuum.

What I'm saying is: Hopefully that Xiao rerun happens soon, because I'm all-in on this. Even if now I've hit the "need a proper attack type goblet or a crit/crit dmg hat" portion of gathering Xiao's set from the new domain.

I just got Jean and am I also in love with this comp. Xiao is so much more fun to play when you can mitigate the energy needs/hp drain with a single character.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I finally have c4 Jean and I'm completely mad with power when I play Xiao now.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i want a real geo healer so my anemo can instead be another theoretical character with cc to counter Xuao's tendency to push enemies away, while being a decent battery with anemo res shred

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

ninjoatse.cx posted:

It would be both hilarious and cool if they used the white text cutaway to explain events.

“So and so explains the hand wavey bullshit about why there’s a mysterious dimensional portal here. And why you should go inside.”

Then cut to the event explanation graphics.

Inspired by Stranger of Paradise, the next time the traveler encounters obstructive border bureaucrats we get a cut to a screen of black text on white that briefly talks about how we spent three months going on tedious stealth missions and delivering letters in order to earn our passage, becoming steadfast friends with 3 colorful NPCs that only get 1 line each pre-timeskip

Kale
May 14, 2010

It's weird going into a new area and seeing a statue of Morax rather than Baal (I assume it's her at least) for the first time in almost a year.

Xalidur posted:

I sort of disagree a little. We helped her out to sort some of her poo poo out, but her resolve essentially being unshakeable enough to fight a duel for 500 years and doing most if not all of the fighting on her own in her character arc I felt didn't degrade her status much. Also she just never really was the ultra hardass we were led to believe, but more very stoic in personality and genuinely believing everything she did was for the best for Inazuma's survival after being turbo-hosed so much 500+ years ago leading her to take the most hardline absolute path towards ensuring it's eternity. The way it plays out it seems like she also still would have won her duel but it's possible that the time synchronization thing would have left Inazuma without it's beloved Shogun for some unforetold amount of time which may have very well destroyed the countries morale since they don't seem as prepared to live without her or the Shogun puppet acting in her stead right now like Mondstadt and Liyue do with their gods just yet. It's more so character growth and learning to adapt and finding less absolute solutions to lasting problems than character assassination and weakness IMO.

I was definitely worried it was going to turn out that way though where the traveler comes in and Raiden is just kind of useless without his assistance and breaks down into a quivering pile but nope still pretty stoic and cool. Keqing definitely sort of feels that way though lately being sort of a tsundere Ojou-Sama archetype that loves her golden shrimp balls and has emotional problems with voting against her friend in a friendly cooking competition.

Kale fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 5, 2022

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

dogsicle posted:

i want a real geo healer so my anemo can instead be another theoretical character with cc to counter Xuao's tendency to push enemies away, while being a decent battery with anemo res shred

Noelle or C4 Gorou. Noelle can do a decent job if you can keep her burst up. Don't have C4 Gorou, but it seems.... doubtful.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Noelle or C4 Gorou. Noelle can do a decent job if you can keep her burst up. Don't have C4 Gorou, but it seems.... doubtful.

neither of them are real healers

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Zwiebel posted:

Actually Durandel’s visual novel was translated into English. You can read it online. It’s several hours long. Read parts of it and some of it was entertaining with some intriguing characters, but felt too long for its own good. Read a summary so I could understand just what the hell was happening in chapter 25.

Anyway what draws me to Honkai are the characters and their arcs, which sometimes culminate in fantastic emotional payoffs. I mean nothing in Genshin has hit as hard as Shattered Samsara (Fu Hua’s arc). But I’ll admit the plot is borderline incomprehensible sometimes, and that’s even with having read the manga. (Which also has some great moments, though again mostly character related.)

The overall dialog in Honkai though tends to be more fun to read than Genshin. Which makes me wonder if it’s a different writing team.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 5, 2022

Kale
May 14, 2010

Zwiebel posted:

We already have the Vodka twins in lizard form though. I'm also very much down for a hand to hand fighter in Genshin at some point though if they ever decide it's okay to have more than 5 weapon types. There's still the matter of that character in the one montage that looks like Fu Hua wielding a pole arm that turned out not to be Yelan like everyone thought it was going to be. I've been reading her visual novel that's not actually really about her recently so much as Li Sushang and it almost feels like these characters and their time period could be it's own franchise in some ways. I never realized that Honkai Impact had such a lengthy lore to it taking place across 50,000+ years before a few months ago or that Fu Hua potentially makes Morax looks like a youngster in comparison.

theblackw0lf posted:

Actually Durandel’s visual novel was translated into English. You can read it online. It’s several hours long. Read parts of it and some of it was entertaining with some intriguing characters, but felt too long for its own good. Read a summary so I could understand just what the hell was happening in chapter 25.

Anyway what draws me to Honkai are the characters and their arcs, which sometimes culminate in fantastic emotional payoffs. I mean nothing in Genshin has hit as hard as Shattered Samsara (Fu Hua’s arc). But I’ll admit the plot is borderline incomprehensible sometimes, and that’s even with having read the manga. (Which also has some great moments, though again mostly character related.)

The overall dialog in Honkai though tends to be more fun to read than Genshin. Which makes me wonder if it’s a different writing team.

That's pretty cool about Durandal's VN. I've been using google translate to read "Fu Hua's" which works surprisingly well in terms of coherency compared to Japanese->English stuff, but it also has the annoying issue of it only displaying the first character on English mode so I have to constantly flip back and forth between Chinese and English with each new line the parser spits out and start each one of them in Chinese otherwise it clips about 95% of it and I have to read it from the archive. It's made for some pretty slow reading, but I only have about 5-6 more chapters to go to get to the end of what they've currently done with it.

Durandal seems like a beast of a character with a pretty interesting story arc so I'm curious to know more about her once I hit that point in going through things in chronological order and hopefully not having to do it the brute force manual translation one line at a time way.

Kale fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 5, 2022

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

That's a young Madame Ping almost for sure. No rumors about her becoming playable in any form unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

Finished leveling up the Chasm's mcguffin so I decided to throw the fates from it into the Ayato banner.....and got my 5th Sucrose from this banner alone. I think she's C16 now. Judging from the few wishing streams I watched, Sucrose seems to be turning up for everyone lately...