Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Balon posted:

Hey goons, I have a preview card for April 10th.

plug your content my man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

This is such a great charm, goddamn. I love versatile cards where every mode can be extremely powerful.

Balon posted:

This is awesome, you've come so far in what feels like not that huge of an amount of time. Keep up the great work!

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Sickening posted:

Crackling doom's art was cooler and the damage had more utility than it does today. It was a 2 for 1 often.

uh

what definition are you using for "2 for 1" when crackling doom is quite literally a one for one

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The 2 damage on crackling doom can't really be evaluated as worth an extra card, but it is a nice upside.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Balon posted:

nice, congrats, great job!

*cough*

...so what is it

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

bettin' pool time

i bet it'll be a 4 MV card

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Eight-Six posted:

bettin' pool time

i bet it'll be a 4 MV card

It’s definitely a creature. I say this off of pure intuition.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

A big flaming stink posted:

uh

what definition are you using for "2 for 1" when crackling doom is quite literally a one for one

You use to be able kill a creature and a planeswalker with it. You use to be able to redirect the damage.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Sickening posted:

You use to be able kill a creature and a planeswalker with it. You use to be able to redirect the damage.

Oh right because when they made the damage redirect change a few years ago, "each opponent" effects got nerfed in the crossfire. And there were a lot of planeswalkers that saw play when Khans was in standard so the ability to do that was very relevant.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

mcmagic posted:

plug your content my man

Find me everywhere fine Commander content is made, under the name Commander Mechanic:

https://linktr.ee/CMDRMechanic

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
This card is so much better than Crackling Doom lmao it isn't close

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Balon posted:

Find me everywhere fine Commander content is made, under the name Commander Mechanic:

Nice to see that you AND the dive down both got preview cards!

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Sickening posted:

oh drat you're totally right, I completely forgot about that detail, my bad!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I can't wait for this card to see some fringe play in non-rotating formats. until it's pushed out by Balrog's Charm the summer.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Balon posted:

Cool I didn't realize you were making content. Congrats on the preview card.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

https://twitter.com/HipstersMTG/status/1511350858021228553?t=QfgM7uqFxq801ZCVCUI4Mw&s=19

:eyepop:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Looks good for standard and limited.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

I like Bant and this makes me happy.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
ngl I thought it said Bonkers Charm for a second.

If the middle mode were any stronger, it would be.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

Going 2 drop into that charm basically lets you react to anything your opponent does, it's rad.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I like how the blue and white modes are the same as Esper Charm, and then it gets a bite instead of the discard. It's very versatile and powerful in standard and limited and it'll probably see a lot of commander and some pioneer play too.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I like all the charms a lot besides Naya. People are sleeping on Maestros Charm being very good, the removal mode is probably the best of the charms and it plays really well with Bloodthirsty Adversary.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Hasbro has rejected the rear end in a top hat hedge funders’ offer

https://www.reuters.com/business/retail-consumer/hasbro-adds-two-directors-plans-keep-wizards-unit-2022-04-04/

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

I like all the charms a lot besides Naya. People are sleeping on Maestros Charm being very good, the removal mode is probably the best of the charms and it plays really well with Bloodthirsty Adversary.

the jund charm plus the jund triome are going to be fun to play with in my jund grind deck featuring bloodthirsty adversary and lurrus

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Balon posted:

Congrats!

A small step closer to goons taking over the world.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
So after being intrigued by the first part of the story I've read the ending today and honestly the second thing didn't make any sense even by the low standards of free magic fiction. Urabrask was never actually seen, Tezz never appeared again, there's no explanation of why no one can remember what happen or why Elspeth seems to come from hundreds of years of years in the planes past and someone randomly turns out to be an angel?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

neaden posted:

So after being intrigued by the first part of the story I've read the ending today and honestly the second thing didn't make any sense even by the low standards of free magic fiction. Urabrask was never actually seen, Tezz never appeared again, there's no explanation of why no one can remember what happen or why Elspeth seems to come from hundreds of years of years in the planes past and someone randomly turns out to be an angel?

Oh wait the story is over over?

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

HootTheOwl posted:

Oh wait the story is over over?

Yeah the last part is up today.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
there might be more going up along the way, fwiw. i don't think they like to show off story beats before the cards get revealed, like what happened with tamiyo in neon dynasty iirc

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
It's for sure not over why would you think that. You must have confused last with latest.

e: oh hmm eep 5 is up. 4 was definitely not the last. Lemme read it now but you're probably right and the answer is they're dumb.

Fuzzy Mammal fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 5, 2022

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
It ends with an epilogue and Elspeth saying "time to go to Dominaria"

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

When something targets something with the "highest mana value" is that as printed on the card, or the cost spent to cast it - like if the card had kicker, or an X in the cost, etc

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Mana value always refers to printed on the card, unless it is on the stack in which case x counts for whatever you are paying. Once it is in play x counts as 0. Kicker doesn't effect mana value ever.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

big cummers ONLY posted:

When something targets something with the "highest mana value" is that as printed on the card, or the cost spent to cast it - like if the card had kicker, or an X in the cost, etc

MV is always the number in the upper right. It doesn't include extra costs (like Thalia) or kicker costs.
And X is always zero (except on the stack)

Also the charm doesn't target a creature, it targets a player. They then choose the creature that meats the quality.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

HootTheOwl posted:

They then choose the creature that meats the quality.

:grin:

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

The meats are well distributed.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

neaden posted:

Check the side stories, this one in particular: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/side-freedom-2022-03-30

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Nothing funny about quality meats.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Okay that's easy to remember!

I'm torn on how to approach Capenna. I had about two boxes of Innistrad 2011 opened in my closet, and I made five quasi-constructed decks with them based on the most popular draft archetypes. I say quasi because I didn't want them to be constructed power-level, so they are mostly commons and uncommons, with cheap rares that aren't too strong but still support the themes. The decks are a blast to play and pretty balanced against each other and I think this is what I'll want to do for every set.

I tried to do the same thing with a set booster box of Forgotten Realms and there just weren't quite enough cards to make more than 2 or 3 evenly matched decks. I'd like to make at least four for each set.

I googled around and the smart thing to do is to just buy playsets of each common/uncommon and then whatever rares fit well into the archetypes and aren't too expensive... but man I love cracking packs. Considering getting a draft booster box and making draft archetype decks from those but then I know I'm going to need to buy singles on top of that to make sure I have enough cards to make each archetype playable. I remember from cracking a box of every set back in the day that while I'm likely to get 4x of each common this way, uncommons are another story, and they seem like they are designed as lynchpin cards now.

I realize after typing all that, that I am just complaining about my hobby costing money. Oh well. It really is fun slapping together these constructed-but-also-draft-style decks. I just wish the cheapest option to do it included the gambling aspect of opening packs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Urabrask was my fav praetor so im glad hes getting some screen-time.