Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Ngl though I’m pleased to see hammer time decline in popularity. At SCG Philly 3 out of my 4 losses were hammer time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I split a JP Strixhaven set box last night and we only got 4-5 list cards but they were all rare/mythic. Has anyone else heard of this happening?

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I split a JP Strixhaven set box last night and we only got 4-5 list cards but they were all rare/mythic. Has anyone else heard of this happening?

That is pretty unusual. I buy set boosters more than I should, and I don’t think I’ve seen anything like that. Most list cards are poo poo, and then you occasionally luck into something decent.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I loving hate living end

Too bad it won it all!
(the second game was actually exciting because 4c had 4 solitudes and survived the first living end and then with all four in the yard shut off future ones)

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

HootTheOwl posted:

Too bad it won it all!
(the second game was actually exciting because 4c had 4 solitudes and survived the first living end and then with all four in the yard shut off future ones)

That’s cool lol. I did watch some of the NRG stream yesterday and it was fun to watch paper magic coverage

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

TotalHell posted:

That is pretty unusual. I buy set boosters more than I should, and I don’t think I’ve seen anything like that. Most list cards are poo poo, and then you occasionally luck into something decent.

Yeah it was wild, I just got a Nicol Bolas, another guy got Moraphon and a third got Chain Veil and Speaker of the Heavens.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Meanwhile in legacy:
115 players, the decklists aren't out but it's Delver vs Delver in the finals.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

Sick as poo poo, i love dumb tribal decks

:sickos:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

HootTheOwl posted:

Meanwhile in legacy:

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Sick as poo poo, i love dumb tribal decks

It's not really a traditional tribal deck, it's a standstill deck that tutors didgeridoo with urza saga and put high MV minotaurs into play without triggering standstill. There is almost no other tribal sinergy.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Apr 4, 2022

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Guy who got beat to death by minotaurs: "Gonna break Standstill, what's he gonna do, draw more minotaurs?"

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

HootTheOwl posted:

Meanwhile in legacy:

That the NRG 5k? Apparently 12post top 8ed. It's putting up decent results recently

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

YggdrasilTM posted:

It's not really a traditional tribal deck, it's a standstill deck that tutors didgeridoo with urza saga and put high MV minotaurs into play without triggering standstill. There is almost no other tribal sinergy.

Can you please stop being a pedantic nerd all the time

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Can you please stop being a pedantic nerd all the time

I'm built this way, sorry. I'll try to keep it down.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Lol

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

YggdrasilTM posted:

True, but what if this deck was Merfolk and the Didgeridoo was Aether vial?
There was another deck a while back (or recently? I don't follow legacy much) that was using Scroll of Fate (the T: Manifest a card from your hand) to get around Standstill. So I think there's a concept here with standstill is being underexplored.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ilmucche posted:

That the NRG 5k? Apparently 12post top 8ed. It's putting up decent results recently

Yes. It was defeated in the t4 by tournament winner, and delver pilot Joe Bernal.

Which is to be expected, I have never ever in my life defeated Joe Bernal while playing any post variant and I assume being able to do so simply isn't possible under the current rules.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

True, but what if this deck was Merfolk and the Didgeridoo was Aether vial?

Merfolk is a better tribe, Aether vial is a much much worse target to be tutored it via U. Saga.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

YggdrasilTM posted:

I'm built this way, sorry. I'll try to keep it down.

Sorry, i was kinda mean. I know its not tribal in the traditional sense but its fun! I just want fun!

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i've been playing mtg arena and i noticed a fun card in my "jump in" deck:

has anyone considered building a combo deck around this? thinking of a deck that has cards that draw, especially cards that draw when you put a +1/+1 counter on them, to draw most of the deck and create like a 30/30. i don't know what the card pool for this combo might be because i'm just coming back to playing mtg after a decade, so i don't know what the standard card pool looks like. biggest drawback i can see is that it takes until turn 5, assuming you don't get mana screwed, to pop it's finishing combo, but it seems like a fun concept to me. maybe a card that you can use the creatures attack power to directly target the player as a sorcery/instant as a finisher

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
The problem is if you have a good way of drawing 30 cards, you can probably just win without spending 9 mana leveling up an enchantment.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

neaden posted:

The problem is if you have a good way of drawing 30 cards, you can probably just win without spending 9 mana leveling up an enchantment.

well the infinite card draw would be from that enchantment itself. unfortunately i looked here: https://mtgdecks.net/prices/wizard-class/combos, and it looks like the 2 good cards that can combo with it to draw the whole library (benthic biomancer and fathom mage) are not legal in standard anymore, and this deck is probably way too slow and gimmicky to be any good in modern :( ah well, fun thought experiment

e: finisher would be this card or similar: https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=491786

hot cocoa on the couch fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Apr 4, 2022

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Other than being Jund that definitely seems like the best charm spoilered so far. That second mode in particular seems pretty good.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Yeah that's a good'un

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

More fucky cost soul shatter with two more good modes seems good

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

that's the backbone of any jund control if there ever is such a thing

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

HootTheOwl posted:

Yes. It was defeated in the t4 by tournament winner, and delver pilot Joe Bernal.

Which is to be expected, I have never ever in my life defeated Joe Bernal while playing any post variant and I assume being able to do so simply isn't possible under the current rules.

Hell back when I played constructed in paper I dont think I've ever beaten Joe. Had a lot of fun limited games against him, guy is good player.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

I don't feel like the card will see much play but the second mode is actually really interesting considering it can be played at your opponents end step.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Sickening posted:

I don't feel like the card will see much play but the second mode is actually really interesting considering it can be played at your opponents end step.

You probably play it on your own end step, turn three, if your control opponent is tapped out.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

resistentialism posted:

You probably play it on your own end step, turn three, if your control opponent is tapped out.

Seems word than their end step, but it is an option.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

:sickos:

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

holy poo poo

this is a dang 3 mana draw three instant in the late game. I remember not being 100% sold on Showdown of the Skalds and I think this is in the same tier, I won't be fooled again

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

nah i think this is a pretty good standard card. It's a better crackling doom which saw a decent amount of play as well.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

nah i think this is a pretty good standard card. It's a better crackling doom which saw a decent amount of play as well.

Crackling doom's art was cooler and the damage had more utility than it does today. It was a 2 for 1 often.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Hey goons, I have a preview card for April 10th.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Balon posted:

Nice! Congratulations!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Sickening posted:

Crackling doom's art was cooler and the damage had more utility than it does today. It was a 2 for 1 often.

Soul Shatter was played in standard like 4 months ago, think this card will be okay.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Balon posted:

Nice!

Unlike that OTHER goon who got one and didn't tip us off...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Also, be prepared: Spoilers are only supposed to last a week, starting on the 7th and ending on the 14th.