Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daniel Dales Dick
Apr 8, 2020

”With the coldest winter ever recorded, with snow setting record levels up and down the coast, the Nobel committee should take the Nobel Prize back from Al Gore"

Thoguh posted:

At first I thought that people like that were just more likely to catch COVID in the first place since they weren’t masking and were generally assholes spewing spittle everywhere. But now I’m not sure anymore and wonder if that’s gonna turn out to be a thing.

The tricky part is if you live in a building with other people instead of a single family home, or if you have kids. Hard to social distance from all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Pink Mist posted:

God drat what is wrong with people

FOMO

every single organ of our stupid loving society is constantly blaring at us that we need to step up (and spend) for every event and buy every product, otherwise you are Missing Out. Only losers Miss Out.

Daniel Dales Dick
Apr 8, 2020

”With the coldest winter ever recorded, with snow setting record levels up and down the coast, the Nobel committee should take the Nobel Prize back from Al Gore"
Doing laundry at midnight in a respirator while the BA.2 wave climbs

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Pink Mist posted:

it seems pushing responsibility to the individual to be safe about COVID was not exactly the best of ideas. it's fine though as it absolves government from any repercussions and they can go back to funding war.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

NeonPunk posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/fitterhappierAJ/status/1511318869121527813

I remember when posters here was saying that we were absolutely nuts for posting that masque monkey study where they found Lewy Bodies lol. "That would never happen!"

You're trying to cast lifestyle changes for prevention against viral disease as if it's comparable to those of chronic illness, which is absurd. Covid isn't caused by someone being unhealthy, it's caused by being in close proximity to someone with Covid. You're not recommending someone cut down on red meat and alcohol or that they get 10,000 steps a day, here. It's not "nihilism" to believe that permanent abstinence from social activity or ever having your face uncovered in public isn't a worthwhile tradeoff for avoiding a virus that they're already inoculated against.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

I'm sure this has no implications on regional or global commerce, industry

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

shanghai is all the way over there. my grocery store and best buy are right here, why should i care??

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I want to get off MR COVIDs wild ride

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

You can't get off the ride sorry. But you can pretend. And should really. Everyone's doing it. Please pretend with us.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
well thankfully masks are so normalized for us my spouse is masking in the house after the potential exposure and then daily tests for a few days.

apparently the hospital won’t do poo poo if you say that there is a “medical condition” . there is no follow up and everyone from physicians to therapists did not challenge this person to wear masks. all inpatient is unmasked

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
There is no ride. We got rid of the ride. Stop acting like you're on a ride just because you're being held in a cart with a metal lock bar

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

welp this looks bad

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Pink Mist posted:

I can't really blame people at this point. The government and media have declared that it's fine and we all should just stop caring about it.

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

Gripweed posted:

I can't really blame people at this point. The government and media have declared that it's fine and we all should just stop caring about it.

I agree that most people are victims of propaganda. Going out when you know you’re positive is remarkably inconsiderate, though. It’d be rude even if it was just the flu.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

FOMO

every single organ of our stupid loving society is constantly blaring at us that we need to step up (and spend) for every event and buy every product, otherwise you are Missing Out. Only losers Miss Out.

It's this. Social media is brain poison, I'm only going to be able to talk my partner out of open bidening so many times until she gives in and we catch covid because she keeps seeing pictures on loving instragram of our friends going to restaurants and shows and can't handle missing out any longer.

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
It finally happened, I got got

Top one was a throat swab, the bottom was the nose. I did them at the exact same time, pretty clear to me that Nancy Reagan had the right idea - back of the throat's the way to go

edit: oh yeah, my coworker sent me this from this morning

I totally got it from work

Cyber Punk 90210 has issued a correction as of 16:11 on Apr 5, 2022

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

pretty clear to me that Nancy Reagan had the right idea - back of the throat's the way to go

:hai:

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

NeonPunk has issued a correction as of 16:31 on Mar 4, 2023

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Pink Mist posted:

I agree that most people are victims of propaganda. Going out when you know you’re positive is remarkably inconsiderate, though. It’d be rude even if it was just the flu.

I agree for the general population, but it is insane that health care settings aren’t defaulting to masking. Especially any place that deals with high risk from COVID populations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

NeonPunk posted:

Anyone posted this yet?

https://mobile.twitter.com/ahandvanish/status/1511080124426432518

2% is a bit higher than the expected 1% lmao

2% is just the beginning :kheldragar:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Gripweed posted:

Going to cons or any kind of big, open public space while you know you're sick has always been wildly inconsiderate. It's an inconsiderate thing to do if you have a cold, or the flu, or a stomach bug, or anything that you know is easily transmissible. Americans are just poo poo.

zynga dot com
Nov 11, 2001

wtf jill im not a bear!!!

A dossier and a state of melted brains: The Jess campaign has it all.
https://www.euronews.com/2022/04/03/man-in-germany-gets-90-covid-19-shots-to-sell-forged-passes

quote:

A 60-year-old man allegedly had himself vaccinated against COVID-19 dozens of times in Germany in order to sell forged vaccination cards with real vaccine batch numbers to people not wanting to get vaccinated themselves.

The man from the eastern German city of Magdeburg, whose name was not released in line with German privacy rules, is said to have received up to 90 shots against COVID-19 at vaccination centres in the eastern state of Saxony for months until criminal police caught him earlier this month, the German news agency dpa reported Sunday.

The suspect was not detained but is under investigation for unauthorized issuance of vaccination cards and document forgery, dpa reported.

He was caught at a vaccination centre in Eilenburg in Saxony when he showed up for a COVID-19 shot for the second day in a row. Police confiscated several blank vaccination cards from him and initiated criminal proceedings.

It was not immediately clear what kind of impact the approximately 90 shots of COVID-19 vaccines, which were from different brands, had on the man's personal health.

German police have conducted many raids in connection with forgery of vaccination passports in recent months. Many COVID-19 deniers refuse to get vaccinated in Germany, but at the same want to have the coveted COVID-19 passports that make access to public life and many venues such as restaurants, theatres, swimming pools or workplaces much easier.

Germany has seen high infection numbers for weeks, yet many measures to reign in the pandemic ended on Friday. Donning masks is no longer compulsory in grocery stores and most theatres but it is still mandatory on public transportation.

In most schools across the country, students also no longer have to wear masks, which has led teachers' associations to warn of possible conflicts in class.

“There is now a danger that, on the one hand, children who wear masks will be teased by classmates as wimps and overprotective or, on the other hand, pressure will be exerted on non-mask wearers,” Heinz-Peter Meidinger, the president of the German Teachers’ Association, told dpa. He advocated a voluntary commitment by teachers and students to continue wearing masks in class and on school grounds, at least until the country goes on a two-week Easter holiday.

Health experts say the most recent surge of infections in Germany — triggered by the BA.2 omicron subvariant— may have peaked.

On Sunday, the country's disease control agency reported 74,053 new COVID-19 infections, less than a week ago, when the Robert Koch Institute registered 11,224 daily infections. However, usually the number of reported infections is lower on weekends.

Overall, Germany has registered 130,029 COVID-19 deaths.

has this been posted yet? because lol

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Paradoxish posted:

Going to cons or any kind of big, open public space while you know you're sick has always been wildly inconsiderate. It's an inconsiderate thing to do if you have a cold, or the flu, or a stomach bug, or anything that you know is easily transmissible. Americans are just poo poo.

We're expected to go to work sick, what did you expect?

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed

"That thing I just made up? Scientists think it might not be real"

My news feed is full of gems this morning

Cyber Punk 90210 has issued a correction as of 16:19 on Apr 5, 2022

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

NeonPunk posted:

Anyone posted this yet?

what definition of disabled are they using ? “can’t work ?”

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

Top one was a throat swab, the bottom was the nose. I did them at the exact same time, pretty clear to me that Nancy Reagan had the right idea - back of the throat's the way to go

gently caress that sucks, gently caress this idiot country. How long has it been since the initial exposure? I've been taking throat swabs daily and still coming up negative but am curious.

navier-stoked
Aug 30, 2004

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

FOMO

oh yeah, i've got fomo alright... Fear Of Missing Organs

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

real life wang commander whose blood is now 100% spike proteins

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Have we seen anything about the effect of anti-depressants on open-bidening? I don’t have a lot of experience with them so I don’t know if it’s out of line to suggest this but these pills curb feelings of stress and anxiety. Stress and anxiety seem like the sorts of things that would keep a person from open bidening.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

That sucks rear end. Good luck on feeling better soon.

Doomtalker
Dec 10, 2019
I just want to shout out to Pillow pants who is providing a valuable service to help us stay safe- thank you very much!

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Dren posted:

Have we seen anything about the effect of anti-depressants on open-bidening? I don’t have a lot of experience with them so I don’t know if it’s out of line to suggest this but these pills curb feelings of stress and anxiety. Stress and anxiety seem like the sorts of things that would keep a person from open bidening.

oh lmao yea this is probably having a great effect. Wouldn't be hard to do a poll on attitudes about open bidening with a question about medications for depression or anxiety right at the very end

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

NeonPunk posted:

Anyone posted this yet?

Seems like they're just estimating PASC prevalence from case counts and seroprevalence:

quote:

Model #1: Reported Case Model
This model uses the cumulative number of surviving COVID cases reported in each state until January 31, 2022, as reported by the CDC, to calculate the estimated number of Long Covid cases per state.18 Using the rates from Whitaker et al (2021), we calculate that 30% of COVID cases in each state will develop at least one long-term symptom, with one third of these cases (10% of the overall case numbers) developing a disabling case of Long Covid. Dividing each state’s estimated number of Long Covid cases by the population gives an estimate of what percentage of each state’s population will be affected by long-term post-COVID symptoms (See Table 4).

It's not a bad guess and lines up with a lot of PASC research, just noting these are not indepedently derived observations of the rates. Their estimates actually seem a little low given that probably closer to half of Americans have been infected at this point.

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed

Louisgod posted:

gently caress that sucks, gently caress this idiot country. How long has it been since the initial exposure? I've been taking throat swabs daily and still coming up negative but am curious.

We had a work event on Friday (Lunch with the CEO lol) and there was about 50 employees and there was like 10 people with masks. As the A/V guy I had to attend, pretty confident that's when it happened.

Daniel Dales Dick
Apr 8, 2020

euphronius posted:

what definition of disabled are they using ? “can’t work ?”

Sadly, it's much worse than that. Those people all "post like euphronius" and may never recover to live a normal life.

Daniel Dales Dick
Apr 8, 2020

Thoughts and prayers to all affected.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Definitely not regretting my postponement of Stripper Day.

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021
Still in disbelief about long covid disability. I hope it isn't that bad (yes, hope is a mistake). I can't imagine a world where 2% of people are Gene Park.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

i am become web3, deployer of cringe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stump collector
May 28, 2007
https://twitter.com/GregKCTV5/status/1511212716186341377

feeling very proud of my college, my spectacle, my virus