Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

I actually had the exact opposite reaction, the early part was great and then as the game goes on gathering tons of stuff gets more tedious and the delays between milestones get longer. The former you can eventually (mostly) fix with the automated extractors, but you still need to wander the countryside to get to all of them. I'm still enjoying it but now it's mostly wandering around seeing what I can find or expanding my base while waiting for numbers to go up because there's nothing left to do except built more of whatever I already have and that's not compelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

power crystals posted:

I actually had the exact opposite reaction, the early part was great and then as the game goes on gathering tons of stuff gets more tedious and the delays between milestones get longer. The former you can eventually (mostly) fix with the automated extractors, but you still need to wander the countryside to get to all of them. I'm still enjoying it but now it's mostly wandering around seeing what I can find or expanding my base while waiting for numbers to go up because there's nothing left to do except built more of whatever I already have and that's not compelling.
It's the automated mines I was referring to yeah. I only have three but one of them is right outside my base for quick restocking. What you're describing seems to be the base game loop: hit a point where you can't really make the number go meaningfully faster, go explore a new ship or area or revisit one you didn't quite tap out, while you're doing that you'll either get a notification that something unlocked or you'll find enough of whatever your currently limiting resource is to build another of something you couldn't afford before.

That or build more rockets.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The game also functionally ends after the tree stage right now. Every following stage is literal number go up busywork as filler. I did get a big kick out of planting whole jungles around my base though.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Yeah he's said that he wants to add animals and things but tree stage is basically endgame right now.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Vasudus posted:

Icarus is really growing on me. I don't know what it was like at launch (other than bad) but it seems like there has been a considerable amount of development, plus Rocket appears to be finally relenting to player pressure for some things (like the timers / gold and copper spawns / etc.) so that's good. The weekly updates are good as well, I'm personally more of a fan of drip content rather than waiting six months for a huge update.

It's a very slow paced walking simulator that is still kinda clunky, but I think it has the potential to be pretty much the peak of the genre.

I'm still way too slow and tech up too far, but I've also been running on hard mode so it's kind of justified. I'm done with the starter forest biome missions and have started to venture into the arctic. Polar bears are loving terrifying - if I don't land a stealth headshot on one with a recurve bow + flint arrows (or better) then I'm stuck with a fast moving freight train with teeth and claws. I made an expedition in there ill-prepared and ended up making a mad dash back to the forest jamming raw meat into my gullet as the frostbite nearly killed me. Next mission I'm going with an actual source of heat and a full set of polar bear armor. And probably a gun.

Polar bears are amazing. I swear my wife got PTSD from the bears in this game. It's good fun, I genuinely enjoy it and do agree it could be the very best game in the genre given time.

Im still hesitant about the teaching up and base building every mission though, admittedly I haven't played it for more than 30 mins since they updated the ore yields and added more caves etc. But I'm keeping a keen eye on the progress in the game.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Splicer posted:

It's got heavy subnautica aesthetic but yeah subnautica is much more story/exploration based.

That's the thing, I fully disagree with this statement. Subnautica had you explore as a person going through a living world packed with animals and plants that seemed to fit into a proper ecosystem. Planet Crafter, from what I saw from the demo, takes place on a barren rock full of wrecks and debris. They couldn't be any more different.

Yes Subnautica had some barren areas but it's the lively nature of the other areas that made them stand out, and there was usually a reason why they were so depopulated.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 5, 2022

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I think the point of the barren areas of Planet Crafter is that they're not barren later on

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

CuddleCryptid posted:

That's the thing, I fully disagree with this statement. Subnautica had you explore as a person going through a living world packed with animals and plants that seemed to fit into a proper ecosystem. Planet Crafter, from what I saw from the demo, takes place on a barren rock full of wrecks and debris. They couldn't be any more different.

Yes Subnautica had some barren areas but it's the lively nature of the other areas that made them stand out, and there was usually a reason why they were so depopulated.

Is the idea that it's going to become less barren and maybe even start having wildlife as you fix the environment? I thought that was the whole point of Planet Crafter, that you're essentially terraforming it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

a7m2 posted:

I think the point of the barren areas of Planet Crafter is that they're not barren later on

Yeah, but they are made that way by your own actions. Subnatuica's whole bit is that you crash into a food chain that you can use technology to climb the ranks of but can never make it to the top.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Planet crafters added an update todo list earlier
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1284190/view/3187993091429806369

Much larger map and a vehicle are cool.
I've been using the spaceship mod on Nexus.
its not faster and doesnt fly, its really just an extra backpack for making a miner run for me.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

It does have the overall aesthetic, though. Everything is super clean and built via nanite bullshit or whatever Planet Crafter calls it. Sure the actual game is different, but if you dropped the Subnautica structures into Planet Crafter it'd look totally at home.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

power crystals posted:

It does have the overall aesthetic, though. Everything is super clean and built via nanite bullshit or whatever Planet Crafter calls it. Sure the actual game is different, but if you dropped the Subnautica structures into Planet Crafter it'd look totally at home.

I mean if that is the standard to judge it by then Satisfactory would apply the same way on its own.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

CuddleCryptid posted:

I mean if that is the standard to judge it by then Satisfactory would apply the same way on its own.

I mean, yes? The first time I played Satisfactory I immediately thought "huh this looks a lot like Subnautica" for exactly that reason. In specific areas anyway, there's a lot more going on there. But the original claim was "heavy subnautica aesthetic" which I fully agree with.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
every game is subnautica if you think about it

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

- Hostile Enviroment
- Safest inside large mechanical body
- Limited resources on map

Mechwarrior is basically Subnautica

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

More games should give me a submarine.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

It's not the angle I would take for Subnautica comparisons, but I still find the comparison apt (and mentioned it in my commentary in the chat thread) in terms of presentation and the core loop.

• Gathering is based around harvesting randomly-spawned single-use nodes scattered around the play area; somewhat naturally for Subnautica, jarringly random for TPC
  • Construction may as well be interchangeable between the two games, minus the lack of center-of-room items (maybe these arrive later, I didn't finish the unlocks fully)
  • Advancement is driven (entirely for Subnautica, partially for TPC) by finding (components/chips) in the wild by diving into existing wreckage, analyzing them, and getting blueprints to craft with; TPC also has its idle advancement tracks
  • Exploration is gated by air supply and extended by building outposts, which don't need to be anything more than a room full of magically generated air
  • Effectively zero combat (I know exploits make knife combat viable in Subnautica for certain basic targets, but that's about it)

The issue is, as I framed it before, TPC is an idle game as made by someone who literally only has ever heard of Subnautica in terms of video games. It does nothing that couldn't easily be accomplished on a bloody webpage without losing out on any of the gameplay. Instead it's a surprisingly demanding game (on default settings) that does absolutely nothing of value with its 3D environment, but wants you to wait for your timers to tick up while it's chugging away at 100% utilization. There's no interesting gameplay mechanics, there's no exploration to really be had right now, there's no story to follow on account of the whole "early access", there's literally nothing to keep you playing except wanting to watch number go up on your tracks.

It's the worst video game I've played since Starforge, without any doubt in my mind. I hope that its full release is better fated than Starforge's was, but with the state that this released in, I have serious doubts about that.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I feel a lot more optimistic for this game after reading this news post. They seem to be well aware what is doable, what isn't, and know the limits of their own ability. I feel like there's a gajillion open world survivalcraft games that are all in perpetually early access, but it seems like they have the right attitude and mindset to pull it off.

They still have a really long way to go but this looks like a promising start.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

CuddleCryptid posted:

Yeah, but they are made that way by your own actions. Subnatuica's whole bit is that you crash into a food chain that you can use technology to climb the ranks of but can never make it to the top.

*laughs in grapple drill prawn suit*

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SkyeAuroline posted:

It's not the angle I would take for Subnautica comparisons, but I still find the comparison apt (and mentioned it in my commentary in the chat thread) in terms of presentation and the core loop.

• Gathering is based around harvesting randomly-spawned single-use nodes scattered around the play area; somewhat naturally for Subnautica, jarringly random for TPC
  • Construction may as well be interchangeable between the two games, minus the lack of center-of-room items (maybe these arrive later, I didn't finish the unlocks fully)
  • Advancement is driven (entirely for Subnautica, partially for TPC) by finding (components/chips) in the wild by diving into existing wreckage, analyzing them, and getting blueprints to craft with; TPC also has its idle advancement tracks
  • Exploration is gated by air supply and extended by building outposts, which don't need to be anything more than a room full of magically generated air
  • Effectively zero combat (I know exploits make knife combat viable in Subnautica for certain basic targets, but that's about it)

The issue is, as I framed it before, TPC is an idle game as made by someone who literally only has ever heard of Subnautica in terms of video games. It does nothing that couldn't easily be accomplished on a bloody webpage without losing out on any of the gameplay. Instead it's a surprisingly demanding game (on default settings) that does absolutely nothing of value with its 3D environment, but wants you to wait for your timers to tick up while it's chugging away at 100% utilization. There's no interesting gameplay mechanics, there's no exploration to really be had right now, there's no story to follow on account of the whole "early access", there's literally nothing to keep you playing except wanting to watch number go up on your tracks.

It's the worst video game I've played since Starforge, without any doubt in my mind. I hope that its full release is better fated than Starforge's was, but with the state that this released in, I have serious doubts about that.
I agree 100% on the gathering mechanics, but I think you're being overly hard on the idle advancement. Sure you can hang around your base grinding nearby resources and waiting for the next thing to unlock but the game is ~really about~ going off and exploring to find things that let you sequence break the game and get ahead of the idle curve. The problem is there's not enough push or pull to make you do this.

Sure you could cut the next unlock down from three hours to 30 minutes by going on a trip, but the game doesn't naturally push you to go on that trip. The passive progression means you can just wait three hours for the next thing to unlock, and the tedious-but-abundant resources means if you do get bored the most obvious solution is tediously grinding your immediate location. With Subnautica you very quickly hit points where you either go exploring or you accept you're not playing the game anymore. This game currently very quickly hits a point where you can theoretically keep bouncing between the same three locations while theoretically progressing.

Similarly there's no pull to other locations. You can build almost all your stuff beside your initial base (unless you build it in the lake by mistake lol). There's no distress signals. The meteors fall on your current location and the resources don't persist through saving and reloading.

These are all things that could be fixed, and need to be fixed. Increasing the size of the map won't help if the game isn't encouraging you to explore it. Cutting down on the number of easily acquirable resources and inserting an exploration-unlocked resource tier between ground and mines would go a long way. Making meteors easier to track and having them fall near points of interest would mimic the distress signals. ~Somehow~ encouraging the player to set up meaningful satellite bases would be good.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
The game doesn't try to present itself as some ultimate super-crunchy hard science simulation, the marketing info is pretty up front about what it is.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I got completely lost from my starting area and now there are little shacks outside of each POI with all of the loot hauled out of each and I'm assuming that at some point I will stumble back onto the starting area because I don't think the game map is actually that big?

Imo it's a fine game for what it is, it could use more content ultimately, but for a $17 game it's not bad and the demo very accurately represents what you're getting.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

More than anything I want an actual hard science terraforming game. Make me learn about atmospheric composition, albedo, greenhouse gasses and all that poo poo.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Wasn’t Sim Earth kinda like that?

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
I love the cinematic kill cam and crazy headshot multiplier in Icarus. Turns out survival games just needed to copy Sniper Elite.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Wasn’t Sim Earth kinda like that?

Man, long time since I've played that. Reading about it, it's very complex. I'm guessing I couldn't quite wrap my head around it when I was a kid.

Having it in 3D and first person is something else though. I think it's one of the reasons I ultimately played way more Satisfactory than Factorio, for example.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

If you're looking for a pretty good Subnautica-like I'm enjoying Elden Ring

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Black Griffon posted:

More than anything I want an actual hard science terraforming game. Make me learn about atmospheric composition, albedo, greenhouse gasses and all that poo poo.
There's TerraGenesis, but it's entirely external, you're just working with satellite images of Mars basically. Kind of an idle game, but it'll go runaway Venusian if you're not careful.

It models atmospheric composition, albedo, and greenhouse gasses (and plenty more) while also updating what the planet looks like throughout the process.

stringless fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Apr 7, 2022

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

FFT posted:

There's TerraGenesis, but it's entirely external, you're just working with satellite images of Mars basically. Kind of an idle game, but it'll go runaway Venusian if you're not careful.

It models atmospheric composition, albedo, and greenhouse gasses (and plenty more) while also updating what the planet looks like throughout the process.

oh dang, might as well check it out since it's on mobile. thanks!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Terragenesis definitely has the terraforming theme down pat but I have a really hard time swallowing the time/energy based f2p phone game model.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Black Griffon posted:

Surviving Mars isn't exactly super deep planetology but all of that less albedo are in Green Planet

There is nothing that comes even sorta close to SimEarth tragically

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
OK what if, and hear me out, there's a collab with the Subnautica devs and the planet you're terraforming in Planet Crafter goes horribly wrong and floods and we have a Subnautica Prequel!

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

LegoMan posted:

OK what if, and hear me out, there's a collab with the Subnautica devs and the planet you're terraforming in Planet Crafter goes horribly wrong and floods and we have a Subnautica Prequel!

If I recall correctly the Subnautica devs are basically at "Boy we sure are glad everyone enjoyed these two subnautica games but please don't make us make any more subnautica games"

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Spanish Matlock posted:

If I recall correctly the Subnautica devs are basically at "Boy we sure are glad everyone enjoyed these two subnautica games but please don't make us make any more subnautica games"

They do have a non-Subnautica project planned for early access later this year, but uhh...

https://twitter.com/UnknownWorlds/status/1512146852258459649

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I mean, "please don't make us make any more subnautica games, we've got enough money to expand the team and pay someone else to do it"?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Now that they've been bough by (to quote wikipedia) " one of the seven gaming billionaires in South Korea", I hope they stay doing what they've been doing.
Subnautica and BZ has been some great fun that i've played repeatedly.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Me personally, I just want them to make Natural Selection 3.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Below Zero was already too much of Subnautica 1.5 for me so I think they need some radically new ideas or a completely different game/genre.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
For Project Zomboid so far the absolute most fun is finding a decent modded PvE MP server and setting up a small faction to go do stuff. Mods, especially vehicles, clothes, weapons, trailers and the extra workshop stuff really make it shine (though prepare for dropped frames in heavy populated areas).

The key mod is the Journal mod that lets you save your stats so you don't have to re grind every drat point on respawn. I was worried it'd be too "god mode" and ruin the game but I haven't found myself getting bored or losing motivation. I'm cool with grinding stats with books and stuff, but not over and over because I died after my car bugged out or something.

The slow, methodical gameplay just makes it great for rewarding good tactics instead of just running in like leeroy Jenkins.

I've yet to play on a PvP server but I imagine that turns into a boring DayZ experience of getting constantly murked by sweaty chads. If I could stomach it I bet doing a roleplay server would be the best because you have ppl looking to create an immersive experience but I can't do the acting, it's just too cringey for me (which isn't a fair feeling, just leftover hangups).

It'd be really cool to do a fresh wipe starting somewhere with a group, with different people taking on specialist roles (medic, cook, carpenter, etc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Trivia posted:

Me personally, I just want them to make Natural Selection 3.

Natural Selection 3 except it's played underwater like Depth and set in the subnautica universe would be tight as gently caress.