Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Nocturtle posted:

Seems like they're just estimating PASC prevalence from case counts and seroprevalence:

It's not a bad guess and lines up with a lot of PASC research, just noting these are not indepedently derived observations of the rates. Their estimates actually seem a little low given that probably closer to half of Americans have been infected at this point.

This is what scares me the most honestly. It's a risk even if your case is mild, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Pink Mist posted:

Still in disbelief about long covid disability. I hope it isn't that bad (yes, hope is a mistake). I can't imagine a world where 2% of people are Gene Park.

I wish it was only 2%; rather than 2% per round.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Louisgod posted:

gently caress that sucks, gently caress this idiot country. How long has it been since the initial exposure? I've been taking throat swabs daily and still coming up negative but am curious.

A UK challenge study1 notes that viral shedding began within 2 days of exposure, corresponding to first detection by focus forming assay (FFA). Symptoms became clear at day 4. I would say if you're past day 4, don't have symptoms, and aren't testing positive then you're more than likely not infected. But I could be interpreting this paper incorrectly so you might want to be more cautious than that.

1 https://www.researchsquare.com/article/rs-1121993/v1

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Greg Legg posted:

This is what scares me the most honestly. It's a risk even if your case is mild, right?

yes, and there are a hundred unknowns in the issue as well. we have only a very loose handle on why certain people have certain long Covid symptoms. actually "very loose" might be generous there.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Pink Mist posted:

Still in disbelief about long covid disability. I hope it isn't that bad (yes, hope is a mistake). I can't imagine a world where 2% of people are Gene Park.

The "best" possible case is that some subset of the population is predisposed to long COVID, meaning the total disability rate will be "only" 1-2% of the total population (assuming everyone eventually gets infected). To be clear this is strictly eugenical thinking.

However the underlying causes could very well mean every reinfection is a new roll of the dice. In which case 2% is likely a lower bound for what we'll see. It is hard to overemphasize the massive recklessness of the current approach to COVID.

edit:

Greg Legg posted:

The preliminary evidence suggests yes. The actual rate estimates are all over the place though, with 10-30% being the ballpark for mild cases and higher for severe.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Nocturtle posted:

The "best" possible case is that some subset of the population is predisposed to long COVID, meaning the total disability rate will be "only" 1-2% of the total population (assuming everyone eventually gets infected). To be clear this is strictly eugenical thinking.

Just to be clear eugenics is when you advocate for or directly act to change the genetics of a population. Simply observing that this is the best case isn't eugenics.

Now if you realized this and told everyone to stop wearing masks that would be eugenics.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
fats forward to the future

chilling imagery of a dystopian conference center
infomercials playing on a jumbotron
a giant nursing home for 15-40 year olds
now back to marvelTV's featured presentation of "no way out"

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Dren posted:

A UK challenge study1 notes that viral shedding began within 2 days of exposure, corresponding to first detection by focus forming assay (FFA). Symptoms became clear at day 4. I would say if you're past day 4, don't have symptoms, and aren't testing positive then you're more than likely not infected. But I could be interpreting this paper incorrectly so you might want to be more cautious than that.

1 https://www.researchsquare.com/article/rs-1121993/v1

cool, it seems like day 4 or 5 is the breaking point to where symptoms show up or that you'd test positive. I was exposed Friday evening, have taken a test daily since (throat and nose), and took one a few minutes ago and it's negative. I don't have symptoms but do have a runny nose that's causing coughing (legit allergies) and slight dizziness though that could be from other medicines. beside that I feel fantastic.

I'm just confused as I spoke to a dude who popped very positive the next day for 30 minutes straight, in my entryway, 3 ft apart. maybe I'm immune to COVID and can begin my journey across the country to sacrifice my brain to science.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Pink Mist posted:

if the 2% figure isn't accurate yet, it will be at some point. it's not like we're doing anything to keep that number from constantly increasing

only way we avoid that imo is if it turns out long covid can only affect a small subset of the population due to some factor we haven't discovered yet

e: nocturtle said it much better

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
New way to make sure no one ever will mask again just dropped.

https://twitter.com/lazaruslong13/status/1511267168838569985?s=21&t=q-j_FDrkJBieEW4udhIW0w

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe
idk how many of yall might be involved in real estate transactions but MAKE SURE ALL YOUR DEEDS ARE CORRECT BEFORE SIGNING ANYTHING

TRIPLE CHECK

three of the deeds i've had come across my desk this morning have had major defects that required me to call the loving title company or to find out what the gently caress they were trying to do

been doing this for 7 years now and mistakes happen, but never at this pace and never have i had a title agent swear up and down the deeds they filed were correct when they conveyed 100% interest in the same exact property to completely different parties, or duplicated metes and bounds descriptions when they had different surveys attached, weird poo poo

title companies are notoriously full of chuds and they are 100% all in office and have been this whole time. they're super proud of not calling out ever too.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

NeonPunk posted:

Anyone posted this yet?

https://mobile.twitter.com/ahandvanish/status/1511080124426432518

2% is a bit higher than the expected 1% lmao
the organisation they're quoting - The Solve Long Covid Initiative has a Zotero chock-full of links to papers referencing long covid https://www.zotero.org/groups/4411227/research_aid_networks_long_covid_library/collections/RE76WMJ4/item-list, might be useful to paper-hunters

the white paper itself is here: https://solvecfs.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/Long_Covid_Impact_Paper.pdf

euphronius posted:

what definition of disabled are they using ? “can’t work ?”
they don't define it anywhere as far as i can see. at one point (p. 21) they quote a source saying that "One study of nearly 4,000 Long Covid patients found that 45 percent reduced their work hours", so i'd guess that it's defined as more severe than just reduced work hours. maybe they're using an official definition for the US labour force or something

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

plz pay attention to me!!!!!! - jack

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Nocturtle posted:

However the underlying causes could very well mean every reinfection is a new roll of the dice. In which case 2% is likely a lower bound for what we'll see. It is hard to overemphasize the massive recklessness of the current approach to COVID.

edit:

The preliminary evidence suggests yes. The actual rate estimates are all over the place though, with 10-30% being the ballpark for mild cases and higher for severe.

God drat. The immunocompromised kid comes tomorrow. I guess I'll crack a window but I can't be here all day.

hekaton
Jan 5, 2022

sure wish i could understand what the hell was going on with my life
so i could be properly upset when things happen

Nocturtle posted:

edit:

if its a 2% subsection of the population thats susceptible, i think we'll just ignore it and leave those people to suffer on their own

if its a 1-2% independent dice roll each time you catch COVID that you develop long COVID, there will have to be some significant changes to how we are approaching this pandemic or we will be obliterated

the latter situation, though potentially impacting much more of the population, may end up being better in some ways if it spurs the development of new treatments and procedures to reduce long COVID, and not just abandon those people to doom

tho that still requires a massive government response and its also possible we dont have the degree of immune system control/knowledge to actually fix long COVID without misregulating all sorts of disease response and everyones brain is getting aggressively reconfigured to garbage so lol

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Louisgod posted:

cool, it seems like day 4 or 5 is the breaking point to where symptoms show up or that you'd test positive. I was exposed Friday evening, have taken a test daily since (throat and nose), and took one a few minutes ago and it's negative. I don't have symptoms but do have a runny nose that's causing coughing (legit allergies) and slight dizziness though that could be from other medicines. beside that I feel fantastic.

I'm just confused as I spoke to a dude who popped very positive the next day for 30 minutes straight, in my entryway, 3 ft apart. maybe I'm immune to COVID and can begin my journey across the country to sacrifice my brain to science.

There's too many variables. You could have spoken to him on day 1.5 prior to him becoming infectious, then he caught it really early with a test. Perhaps there was a slight crossbreeze that saved you. Perhaps you did get exposed but your vaccine antibodies swatted it down before it got you. Not every exposure results in infection. Do you recall those classroom infection diagrams where certain kids just didn't get it even though the kids around them did? Just keep testing for a day or two but you're probably good if you're still testing negative today.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Good for them. :colbert:

Gripweed posted:

In my experience OP links in longrunning threads are at least a year out of date

I can’t believe you would come into my thread and insult me like this when I have done nothing to you

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

either the virus makes you stupid or they're actually trying to kill us

then again, por qué no los dos?

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

euphronius posted:

what definition of disabled are they using ? “can’t work ?”
update on above, found a possible source of the term "Disabling Long Covid" in Quantifying the ongoing epidemic of disability after covid-19 in the UK population aged under 35 years; secondary analysis of the Covid Infection Survey:

quote:

This paper focuses on the population aged under 35 years and uses the term ‘disabling long covid’ to describe those with symptoms lasting more than 12 weeks and daily activities limited a lot.
still not particularly precise, but better than nothing i guess :shrug:

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

NeonPunk posted:

Anyone posted this yet?

https://mobile.twitter.com/ahandvanish/status/1511080124426432518

2% is a bit higher than the expected 1% lmao

learn to live, with covid

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

ah, the quantifiable "a lot"

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Dren posted:

Have we seen anything about the effect of anti-depressants on open-bidening? I don’t have a lot of experience with them so I don’t know if it’s out of line to suggest this but these pills curb feelings of stress and anxiety. Stress and anxiety seem like the sorts of things that would keep a person from open bidening.

Started doing some cursory research and boy howdy does the first paragraph of this top result not bode well

https://www.ibtimes.com/antidepressants-affect-morality-decision-making-new-study-finds-1995363

quote:

Healthy people who are given commonly prescribed mood-altering drugs see significant changes in the degree to which they are willing to tolerate harm against themselves and others, according to a study published Thursday. The research has implications for understanding human morality and decision-making.

edit: upon reading further it looks like some drugs make people more selfish, and more willing to harm others. other drugs have the opposite effect.

Dren has issued a correction as of 17:07 on Apr 5, 2022

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Hold on, were they NOT already?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Sex Arse of Calais posted:

Between the way they are now defining hospitalizations and the lack of funding for tests (which is already on top of the push for at home testing) I'm not even sure if we would have hit the point where masks would have been reccomended even at the height of the Omicron wave.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sex Arse of Calais posted:

They'll always move the goal posts to ensure that COVID is over!

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

home from a half day in the office, my first day in 25 months. boy I hope Covid really is over because nobody is ever going to take any precautions ever again. I was the only person I saw in a mask all day, either in the coffee shop or in the office. at least nobody said poo poo about my N95. fuckin lol I hate offices.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

hekaton posted:

if its a 2% subsection of the population thats susceptible, i think we'll just ignore it and leave those people to suffer on their own

if its a 1-2% independent dice roll each time you catch COVID that you develop long COVID, there will have to be some significant changes to how we are approaching this pandemic or we will be obliterated

the latter situation, though potentially impacting much more of the population, may end up being better in some ways if it spurs the development of new treatments and procedures to reduce long COVID, and not just abandon those people to doom

tho that still requires a massive government response and its also possible we dont have the degree of immune system control/knowledge to actually fix long COVID without misregulating all sorts of disease response and everyones brain is getting aggressively reconfigured to garbage so lol

Yeah about this. If people are sending their kid to school they must know there's a good chance they might get it. And we know reinfections are pretty common. If you have 2% chance of disability every time your child catches this, I mean I guess that looks low on paper but try telling that Gene Park guy. Christ.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

i hope we get some breakthroughs on long covid treatment soon, but imo there is only so much improved treatment and procedures can do for the people whose gray matter got perforated by covid

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

wife's boss is in the office today while her husband has just come down with covid

why risk giving it to others when you have an easy phones 'n' computers job?

"what am i supposed to do? stay at home for two weeks?"

lol i can't deal with this

am i an alien?

why does anyone think behaving like this is acceptable?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

endlessmonotony posted:

We already updated the spreadsheet a few days ago.

Goongratulations and/or goondolences.

I've been out of the thread for a while. What is this spreadsheet?

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Pingui already shared this study but I’m sharing it in tweet form so I can easily drop it in the OP.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MeetJess/status/1511151454567940107

quote:

It also found that, despite what most people have been told, viral shedding and transmissibility occur at high levels when a person is infected regardless of whether they have severe or mild symptoms.

Pingui posted:

Some more challenge trial data are in and the key takeaways are (wild type on a young and healthy cohort):
1) It is very infectious.
2) There is no correlation between symptoms and infectiousness.
3) It is detectable in the throat first, but got higher in the nose.
4) Loss/change of smell was very common and lasted at least past 180 days for some.

It is long and dense, so I've cut very heavily (there are also graphs in the article, but they require a lot of text to explain so: snip snip).

Also challenge trials are very ethical and cool, which is why this line gets honorable mention:

Really more of a challenge than a trial :ok:

Edit: link to CNN article about it: https://edition.cnn.com/2022/03/31/health/first-challenge-study-covid-19/index.html

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

"airborne droplet" please just use the words we have for things like that

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Dren posted:

edit: upon reading further it looks like some drugs make people more selfish, and more willing to harm others. other drugs have the opposite effect.

So what you’re saying is we just need to find the right combo of pills to make people good?

Wamsutta posted:

home from a half day in the office, my first day in 25 months. boy I hope Covid really is over because nobody is ever going to take any precautions ever again. I was the only person I saw in a mask all day, either in the coffee shop or in the office. at least nobody said poo poo about my N95. fuckin lol I hate offices.

Well, about that

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

alarumklok posted:

ah, the quantifiable "a lot"
yeah, i know. from the linked paper, it's just a single question in the ONS Covid Infection Survey with three possible responses, so it's those self-reporting "a lot" as their answer to the question "Extent to which Long COVID reduces ability to undertake day-to-day activities"

quote:

The CIS measures disability by a single question on limitation in daily activities, with categories not limited, limited a little and limited a lot. An advantage is that the severity and impact of the condition upon the individual and community is captured. Such questions are routinely used to quantify the population with disability in old age epidemiology. There will be differences in reporting behaviour, but the measure has meaning at population level.
(ed: data here)

CGI Stardust has issued a correction as of 17:21 on Apr 5, 2022

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Glumwheels posted:

Some indie “game dev” knew they were COVID+ and went to GDC, attended talks, had meetings with people etc

But cons are safe am I rite because attendees are being responsible!

https://mobile.twitter.com/ChelWongAudio/status/1511164059500040192

“you all” being the virions.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

CGI Stardust posted:

update on above, found a possible source of the term "Disabling Long Covid" in Quantifying the ongoing epidemic of disability after covid-19 in the UK population aged under 35 years; secondary analysis of the Covid Infection Survey:

still not particularly precise, but better than nothing i guess :shrug:

that’s close to the the ADA definition. far far away from the social security one

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

Pingui posted:

I wish it was only 2%; rather than 2% per round.

Given its a percentage of the whole population and half of Americans have gotten COVID, it could be 4% per infection.

So if you get infected 4-5 times a year, that math gets scary fast.

This is also assuming the faster replicating variants don’t result in a higher incidence of Long COVID.

This is not a sustainable situation and if the system had any sense of even 5 year long planning alarm bells should be ringing.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

oh word? the positive-sense single strand rna virus which doesn't even need to bring in other enzymes into the cell in order to replicate and can be assembled from the piece of rna alone might be a tad dangerous even in low doses? huh, that's weird

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

They accidentally published a story from May 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Louisgod posted:

Here's a better pull quote from the nature version of the paper:

quote:

Despite earlier viral detection in the throat by other methods, median time to first detection by daily LFA tests was the same in nose and throat at 4 days (range, 2–8 days) after inoculation (Fig. 5a). This was, on average, 24–48 hours after first qPCR positivity (Fig. 5b) and within 24 hours of FFA (Fig. 5c).

I assume you're taking a LFA. So the median for LFA detection is 2-8 days but it can be as early as 2 days after inoculation. The dude you talked to really could have been pre-infectious when you talked to him.