Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

christmas boots posted:

While I largely agree, I still think Desperado Deku should have lasted a bit longer.

Agreed. The solo Deku chapters had some nice stuff, like the Muscular rematch and the moment with him saving the big animal girl, I just wish it had lasted a bit longer. Maybe the anime can squeeze a movie in that time frame?

I'm also slightly disappointed that Deku is going into this final battle in his gym clothes. I really liked the hood/scarf combo he had going on before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

christmas boots posted:

While I largely agree, I still think Desperado Deku should have lasted a bit longer.

Don't worry, the anime will stretch that poo poo out for two courses. After skipping everything up to that part, then giving the skipped part 3 half-assed episodes.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Can't wait for the beach episode with Berserk Deku

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/shibuyasmash/status/1510657789198467074?s=20&t=f_OoKP7466f9hwqBnhTgKw

Horikoshi had to cut some of his plans for the Summer Camp arc when it became apparent that no one wanted the villains to be there lol

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

People just wanted to see the kids have fun summer time shenanigans and hell, I don't blame them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Looking at recent popularity polls I can't help but wonder if maybe that is still the case. It isn't like the villains are burning up any of the charts which might explain part of why things are getting rushed. "You had an arc to set up the villains and nobody cares about them, just get to the big final conflict."

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Rhonne posted:

People just wanted to see the kids have fun summer time shenanigans and hell, I don't blame them.

The series is called My Hero Academia, I'm pretty sure a lot of people were really into the idea of superhero kids going to superhero school, but the school part of things hasn't been relevant for like half the manga if not more.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Kanos posted:

The series is called My Hero Academia, I'm pretty sure a lot of people were really into the idea of superhero kids going to superhero school, but the school part of things hasn't been relevant for like half the manga if not more.

Notably I feel like the most popular part of the villain side of things was My Villain Academia and watching them grow into villains worthy of the name.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The Legion of Doom should've gotten a chapter showing off their rooms like 1-A did.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Well now I'm just curious what the original plan for the summer camp battle was. Longer fights? More stuff with the nomu? More of the kids being involved in the fighting instead of most of them hiding out in the main building? Twice doing more than making a few ineffective Dabi clones?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Rhonne posted:

Well now I'm just curious what the original plan for the summer camp battle was. Longer fights? More stuff with the nomu? More of the kids being involved in the fighting instead of most of them hiding out in the main building? Twice doing more than making a few ineffective Dabi clones?

Probably a bigger introduction to the villains and class B yeah.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Mustard pulls out a second gun.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Mustard was the original candidate for the traitor, but due to shortening the summer camp, Horikoshi gave it to Aoyama instead.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

The Legion of Doom should've gotten a chapter showing off their rooms like 1-A did.

We should've seen them crawl their way out of being bad villains into being somewhat good at their jobs too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPUgjy-Pn-4

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Kanos posted:

I kinda wish this series was more Teen Titans than... I want to say Sky High, but I've never seen that movie and I'm not sure if that comparison is accurate.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Kinda, but of course the stakes in MHA have become way higher.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I kinda wish this series was more Teen Titans than... I want to say Sky High, but I've never seen that movie and I'm not sure if that comparison is accurate.

It is 100% accurate, though MHA kinda eclipsed the scale of the movie by the time of MVA and arguably by the big AfO vs All Might fight

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

More 2003's Cartoon Network Teen Titans and less comic book Teen Titans promising another 8 death an issue.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Looking at recent popularity polls I can't help but wonder if maybe that is still the case. It isn't like the villains are burning up any of the charts which might explain part of why things are getting rushed. "You had an arc to set up the villains and nobody cares about them, just get to the big final conflict."

I know I'm the outlier but the MVA arc was a huge blow to my interest. I just wanted a story with some altruistic good guys without going back to the tired idea of, "but what if the heroes were kinda bad sometimes? I'm very clever you see".

No amount of tragedy is gonna make me feel anything for the group of people trying to literally destroy the world no matter how imperfect that world is.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

TheKingslayer posted:

I know I'm the outlier but the MVA arc was a huge blow to my interest. I just wanted a story with some altruistic good guys without going back to the tired idea of, "but what if the heroes were kinda bad sometimes? I'm very clever you see".

No amount of tragedy is gonna make me feel anything for the group of people trying to literally destroy the world no matter how imperfect that world is.

The story has never shied away from “Hero Society isn’t great” though. It’s in the literal first chapter that society has some deep problems, (Bakugo is praised, Izuku abused/mistreated). The story you wanted wasn’t ever what MHA was about I don’t think.

MVA isn’t where that started, that’s been part of the narrative the entire time (and the narrative also specifically never questions the actual heroism of All Might and Izuku, just the society itself and the flaws it has).

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
The beginning of the story had Mt Lady and Kamui Woods arguing about who got to beat up a villain, and a bunch of heroes standing around and watching the sludge guy slowly suffocate a child.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Staltran posted:

and a bunch of heroes standing around and watching the sludge guy slowly suffocate a child.

To be fair, they were trying to minimize the damage and most of their powers didn't work well against the sludge monster or Bakugo blowing up everything in the area.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

TheKingslayer posted:

Same. The anime compressing the MVA arc was not, in my opinion, a huge loss because I don't give a single gently caress about team murder-death-kill.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Lord_Magmar posted:

The story has never shied away from “Hero Society isn’t great” though. It’s in the literal first chapter that society has some deep problems, (Bakugo is praised, Izuku abused/mistreated). The story you wanted wasn’t ever what MHA was about I don’t think.

MVA isn’t where that started, that’s been part of the narrative the entire time (and the narrative also specifically never questions the actual heroism of All Might and Izuku, just the society itself and the flaws it has).

Schoolyard bullying isn't exactly showing some massive societal failure or whatever. Some of the heroes being into for personal gain just seemed realistic vs some statement, those kind of people exist in everything. The poo poo becomes eye rolling when there's actually a secret council of people directing heroes to do assassinations. That's some Zack Snyder level trash.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

If anything, it's suffering from the Dark Knight Rises/MCU problem where you have your villain be fighting back against flaws in society as a gesture towards shades of gray but because they're the villain, they still need to set up a nuke in a football field and massacre innocents.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Yeah there's a yawning grand canyon-esque gulf between "quirks make people arrogant shitheads/pro heroes are flawed people" and "hero society is a corrupt and degenerate jenga tower that is maintained by a shadowy cabal assassinating undesirables".

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

TheKingslayer posted:

Schoolyard bullying isn't exactly showing some massive societal failure or whatever. Some of the heroes being into for personal gain just seemed realistic vs some statement, those kind of people exist in everything. The poo poo becomes eye rolling when there's actually a secret council of people directing heroes to do assassinations. That's some Zack Snyder level trash.

I don't see how. Is it any different than IRL law enforcement agencies assassinating people? (also the Hero Public Safety Commission isn't secret at all, idk where you got that from)

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Staltran posted:

I don't see how. Is it any different than IRL law enforcement agencies assassinating people? (also the Hero Public Safety Commission isn't secret at all, idk where you got that from)

No, it isn't any different. That's my whole point. I wanted escapism, not the real poo poo we deal with but the cops can turn you inside out with a super power.

And yeah of course people know they exist. The secret part is all the assassinations.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
I just don't think the series ever quite fit the escapism theme. Deku was doing permanent damage to himself form early on, the teachers at his middle school seemed to be complicit in the bullying and discrimination, the UA staff (including All Might, even) decided to chain and muzzle a student on live TV because he refused to accept a medal, etc.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Staltran posted:

I just don't think the series ever quite fit the escapism theme. Deku was doing permanent damage to himself form early on, the teachers at his middle school seemed to be complicit in the bullying and discrimination, the UA staff (including All Might, even) decided to chain and muzzle a student on live TV because he refused to accept a medal, etc.

The first two things here aren't really all that dark at all, they're not actually that far off from most shounen in tone even if the visuals of seeing the main character punch so hard his bones turned into goo was pretty novel at the time. And the third thing is entirely played for laughs, it's not supposed to be even a little serious.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Well sure the main character has to struggle for something.

Again, realism that bullying can and does happen.

The muzzle thing was played for a gag. It wasn't some stealth critique of child abuse.

The themes you wanna draw from it are just as valid as mine but the societal stuff isn't as in your face as you imagine.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The problem is that every shounen we've seen in the last 6 years is actually something many people would prefer as a slice-of-life manga where people do incredible things not as eye-popping feats of comedy athleticism but just part of life. Someone catches a falling steel girder from a nearby construction site and uses it to get a cat out of a tree before returning it. And old lady is tossed 30' into the air before they stop a truck with their bare hands and gently catch her. A river's flow is punched to a standstill so kids can be pulled out safely before they go over a waterfall. Himoko Toga's max speed is clocked on a spedometer as Pop Step fangirls outpace her five times over on their way to one of her shows. Y'know, the usual.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Frankly I agree that MHA focusing on the school stuff would have been ideal, but I actually still like the current route and would be pretty bored by either version of the story (focus on the schooling or the current war ramping) if the villains didn’t have the nuance they have of being abandoned and abused by society and falling through the cracks.

MVA being cut short sucks because it completely nullifies the actual purpose of the villains in the story, which is to highlight societies worst ills whilst still needing to be stopped from destroying everything.

Shigaraki is wrong, and needs to be stopped, but he was once a child abused by his father who had a terrible tragic accident and nobody to save him. That’s extremely important to the themes of what heroism actually is and means.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 6, 2022

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I would buy that the muzzle thing was supposed to be just a joke if it wasn't an entire plot point in the summer camp arc that the villains saw the heroes muzzle a student on live TV and went "yeah that guy would probably join us, the heroes clearly don't respect him." The only reason they were wrong is because Bakugo has kind of hosed up logical reasoning skills and hates losing and considers villains to be universally losers.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

CuwiKhons posted:

I would buy that the muzzle thing was supposed to be just a joke if it wasn't an entire plot point in the summer camp arc that the villains saw the heroes muzzle a student on live TV and went "yeah that guy would probably join us, the heroes clearly don't respect him." The only reason they were wrong is because Bakugo has kind of hosed up logical reasoning skills and hates losing and considers villains to be universally losers.

I don't remember that bit, but I believe you enough to say that was a dumb plot point

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

If anything they should've kept the muzzle on him longer.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Funky Valentine posted:

If anything they should've kept the muzzle on him longer.

it was a loaner from Hound Dog

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

CuwiKhons posted:

You're right in that the villains did see it as an example of Bakugo's anger and thought maybe he'd be interested in flipping sides because of it, but the "we tied up Bakugo and muzzled him" is absolutely a joke and wasn't intended to be taken terribly seriously. There's no scenes of people being shocked that he's being tied up or anyone going "holy poo poo did they loving restrain a child like Hannibal Lecter?", which would be the expected response if it was meant to be taken as anything other than a sight gag.

The villains could have drawn the exact same conclusion if he didn't go up there muzzled and instead yelled gently caress really loud and turned down the award.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I don't think we were supposed to think about it at the time and I can even buy that Horikoshi maybe intended it to be just a joke, and then maybe his editor was like 'hey that's hosed up' and he went 'oh yeah, i guess' and had the villains use it as justification.

It's sort of the difference between Todoroki being physically abused by his father and we're supposed to be horrified by that but Bakugo gets smacked around by his mom constantly and it's Just For The Giggles. There's a very real narrative dissonance if you think about it too hard, but you're not supposed to think about it that hard unless the author suddenly wants you to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Concept: MHA but Katsuki has a muzzle on for the whole story.