Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
mori's artwork is somehow getting stronger. his panel layout was phenomenal this chapter, and last chapter had really good panelling too. somewhat surprised to be saying this for a series older than i am

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

also he's not being particularly subtle, but i do think its a good job, how we are shown what ippo can now offer (in terms of his advice being useful for mashiba) but also where his weaknesses still are (refering to ippo basically saying "dont go for the last punch he's going to counter"). mashiba will take that step and grab victory, ippo himself is still a little short (lol) there

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Chapter 1374
Mashiba must really be out of it if he's respecting Ippo.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah hell froze over when I read that panel.

My first reaction was oh for gently caress's sake George don't dra.. oh he's actually down. Fool me once.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

mashiba slapped his poo poo

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Mashiba will see Ippo hugging his sister and will go back to hating him in a second

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I would legitimately kneel in reverence if he never had Ippo get into the ring, Sendo won the world title with Ippo as his second, and the retirement is utterly genuine.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Onmi posted:

I would legitimately kneel in reverence if he never had Ippo get into the ring, Sendo won the world title with Ippo as his second, and the retirement is utterly genuine.

it would be one of the gutsiest writing decisions i've seen in manga for sure

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Onmi posted:

As long as it ends like Rocky III

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Sendo wins the title, ippo trips over his monster dong while rushing into the ring to congratulate him and his head hits a stool, placing him in a coma where Kumi and Kamogawa have to make a difficult decision

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

tbp posted:

it would be one of the gutsiest writing decisions i've seen in manga for sure

It would be actual pay off instead of base gratification.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

The Notorious ZSB posted:

It would be actual pay off instead of base gratification.

ironically i think the base really likes the retirement arc. there was a reddit thread a few months ago asking about favorite arcs in the series (reddit is the only other place i know of beside this thread that ever talks about hni) and the retirement arc was clearly the winner in terms of enjoyment

it'd defy my expectations incredibly, but i think it'd be neat if ippo really was just a trainer from now on. that said mori's put too many hints in for him to really do that i think

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
That and it would be virtually impossible from a narrative standpoint to take the previous drat near 30 years of him boxing and not pay THAT off. I'll still be thoroughly shocked if this isn't just an extended version of the first 'Ippo's retiring' arc right after the Rookie King fights. Somehow the training he's been doing will magically let him stop face tanking every single thing. He takes the weights off and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWKda4d9pKw

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Chapter 1375

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Ah finally, we're out of the gimmick fight and going to a real, deep, and high level boxing match

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Who is that though, Iga?

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

The bestest brother.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Miyata is loving savage.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Funny how despite having a multi-time multi-world title holder in his gym, it's Sendo who keeps dragging Ippo out of Japan

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

TaurusOxford posted:

Miyata is loving savage.

loving owned that shitlord. :allears:

edit: Let's face it Sendo is doing everything he can to make Ippo get back in the drat ring :v:

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 22, 2022

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Who is that though, Iga?

Yeah it was Iga. It was a bit hard to recognize him cause he was showing Emotion instead of being a heartless robot.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

this is a great comedy manga too man

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I don't know what in Japanese translates to "bestest" but I like it

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

tbp posted:

Though I am pretty sure he said something like. "Makunouchi don't touch my sister! I'll kill you!"

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

tbp posted:

*astronaut meme* Always has been. George has done a really good job developing all the (main) characters outside of their fights. In early chapters just seeing all the poo poo the main 3 give each other, or two of them them standing around making faces in the background can still get an actual IRL laugh out of me.

Garrand posted:

I don't know what in Japanese translates to "bestest" but I like it

Ippo was probably just imagining him talking like a kawaii schoolgirl and that was the closest English approximation.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

Though I am pretty sure he said something like. "Makunouchi don't touch my sister! I'll kill you!"

Oh really?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Everyone's weekly massive hog fix is here

https://mangadex.org/chapter/3530d698-8aba-4e01-9248-5221f7b98f45/1

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Nice cool down chapter at least.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Monster X monster is a hunter X hunter reference, manga going on hiatus for 3 years

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

chapter was fine but this must be an irl fight week or something. all they do is sprint for like four pages then we call it a day

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I did enjoy Takamura mentally freaking out that Ippo was keeping up, barely, while being weighted down. with his massive hog

Jiro fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 29, 2022

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

ippo's gonna go across that line and not even realize it

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jiro posted:

I did enjoy Takamura mentally freaking out that Ippo was keeping up, barely, while being weighted down. with his massive hog

Top tier faces from both of them during those sprints :tviv:

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

i kinda like ippo being a bit more of an rear end in a top hat to takamura

however, i am sad that by the time ippo's mentality is back to actually fight again, he will be diagnosed with the World's Worst Joint Damage because he's been wearing those loving weights for like 20 months now

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Chapter 1377

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Splorch

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Ippo's improved so much that Takamura poo poo

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm really wondering when we're finally going to have someone address Takumura's right eye loving up

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Takamura losing weight even though he's in his natural weight class now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I was thinking we'd gone too long without seeing dick.