Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

meatbag posted:

They are using an ATGM because they don’t have a Stinger available right? Or are they just showing off?

Low flying helicopters have been vulnerable to atgm fire since forever. Pretty sure this was well covered in the documentary film Rambo First Blood Part II.

Aside from that though I think anti-helicopter has been on the Hellfire capabilities list for like 20 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Murgos posted:

Low flying helicopters have been vulnerable to atgm fire since forever. Pretty sure this was well covered in the documentary film Rambo First Blood Part II.

Aside from that though I think anti-helicopter has been on the Hellfire capabilities list for like 20 years.

Don't forget blackhawk down!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

New Zealand may have a very small military, but your nation punches WAY the gently caress above their weight in the intelligence world. New Zealand is an insanely important ally in this regard, for the U.S. Canada, and the UK.

Our SAS is meant to be top-tier, and the Maori Battalion fought like absolute lions through WWII.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

If a MANPADS is a hammer, and the chopper is a nail, then what is an ATGM but an even bigger hammer.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Murgos posted:

They are even making the hellfire into an official SHORAD missile with the M-SHORAD program

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Cimber posted:

Don't forget blackhawk down!

I thought that RPG7s were used to down the Blackhawks in the Battle of Mogadishu.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Spoggerific posted:

https://twitter.com/uaweapons/status/1511292509619568640

:stare:

I've said this before, but this is something I'd call someone an idiot for if I saw them doing it in ArmA, let alone in a real-life war against an enemy with active air defenses.

I dont know why but my first thought on seeing the control was "can you run doom on it?"

Odradek
May 23, 2007

Don't hate me because I'm cute

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

New Zealand may have a very small military, but your nation punches WAY the gently caress above their weight in the intelligence world. New Zealand is an insanely important ally in this regard, for the U.S. Canada, and the UK.

Can confirm.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Our SAS is meant to be top-tier, and the Maori Battalion fought like absolute lions through WWII.

Oh no doubt, but New Zealand’s contributions to the free world and the allied English speaking democracies in terms of intelligence is insane. Like, trust me, your military is professional and capable, just small. Your countries intelligence apparatuses just happen to be the absolute biggest and most important part of New Zealand’s capabilities and contributions.

Think about it, it’s a tiny island nation in the South Pacific, but it’s part of the FIVE EYES and a major contributor to that alliance. And that brings us to reciprocity- by default a poo poo ton of intelligence is shared to your nation from the U.S and the rest of the FIVE EYES which is a way to say your prime minister is generally as well informed about the goings on of the world as POTUS is. Obviously we have a ton of NOFORN intelligence, but not nearly as much as we share by default with New Zealand, and that New Zealand shares with us.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

He wasn't Maori but Charles Upham was the only combat soldier who got the VC twice in WWII. After being captured his escape attempts were insane, "During his transfer on a civilian train while guarded by two Germans, Upham made his final escape attempt. Upham was only allowed to visit the toilet when the train was travelling at high speed to prevent him from jumping through a window. Nevertheless, Upham prised open the toilet window and jumped onto the tracks, knocking himself unconscious. After awakening, he escaped into a nearby orchard, but the even rows of trees and lack of undergrowth provided poor cover and he was recaptured after 12 hours." When he was finally liberated he immediately picked up a gun and wanted to keep fighting but was sent to the UK to recuperate. Fortunately post-war he did fine as a farmer and lived to an old age, the book about him Mark of the Lion was recommended by a goon a while back and is well worth your time.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Hyrax Attack! posted:

He wasn't Maori but Charles Upham was the only combat soldier who got the VC twice in WWII. After being captured his escape attempts were insane, "During his transfer on a civilian train while guarded by two Germans, Upham made his final escape attempt. Upham was only allowed to visit the toilet when the train was travelling at high speed to prevent him from jumping through a window. Nevertheless, Upham prised open the toilet window and jumped onto the tracks, knocking himself unconscious. After awakening, he escaped into a nearby orchard, but the even rows of trees and lack of undergrowth provided poor cover and he was recaptured after 12 hours." When he was finally liberated he immediately picked up a gun and wanted to keep fighting but was sent to the UK to recuperate. Fortunately post-war he did fine as a farmer and lived to an old age, the book about him Mark of the Lion was recommended by a goon a while back and is well worth your time.

It was recommended by me, in fact! I've sent it to a few people for Secret Satan and recommend it to everyone I can.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Charles Uphams grandson, Harley Upham was my Squadron Sgt Major and RSM, can confirm the bloke is as hard as woodpecker lips.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I assume this went well for that pilot afterward.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret

Grand Fromage posted:

https://aviationhumor.net/you-think-we-can-make-it-through-there/

Only 1 million dollars worth of damage from crashing into a tree.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Promoted ahead of peers.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
https://twitter.com/i/events/1483255084750282753

About drat time this diplomatic escalation was made.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Steezo posted:

I dont know why but my first thought on seeing the control was "can you run doom on it?"

Almost certainly. Early 2000s embedded design with some graphics capability, I'd guess it's based on some flavor of MIPS32.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
What about maybe the doom hud as an overlay on the stugna screen??

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

https://twitter.com/i/events/1483255084750282753

About drat time this diplomatic escalation was made.

Right like my question was why tf does Russia even have a seat at the UNs table right now.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

tater_salad posted:

Right like my question was why tf does Russia even have a seat at the UNs table right now.

Everyone gets a seat at the table, but Russia stands to lose a lot of prestige and diplomatic influence permanently if they lose their security council veto. It's a great threat, in my estimation. It carries no existential military peril, but it does make Russia a less attractive partner to nations like Eritrea, Syria, and North Korea if Russia can no longer protect their interests with a veto.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

A.o.D. posted:

Everyone gets a seat at the table, but Russia stands to lose a lot of prestige and diplomatic influence permanently if they lose their security council veto. It's a great threat, in my estimation. It carries no existential military peril, but it does make Russia a less attractive partner to nations like Eritrea, Syria, and North Korea if Russia can no longer protect their interests with a veto.

I agree, but I think it's impossible to actually accomplish this. China will certainly oppose any such radical move. India too, unless the seat is transferred to them.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Nz's opposition party is calling for us to send Javelins to Ukraine. Do we even have them to send? I have no idea of the capabilities of our military beyond "lol"

send sheep numbered in sequences 1, 3, and 5

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Nz's opposition party is calling for us to send Javelins to Ukraine. Do we even have them to send? I have no idea of the capabilities of our military beyond "lol"

NZ has a proud tank building tradition.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
NZ has light infantry and 100-ish AFVs. Javelins fit well with their forces composition, and they’ve had Javelins since 2006.

So not a token force but nothing heavy like the Aussies have.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

EasilyConfused posted:

I agree, but I think it's impossible to actually accomplish this. China will certainly oppose any such radical move. India too, unless the seat is transferred to them.

India can’t do poo poo. They’re not a permanent member of the SC and thus do not have a veto.

China on the other hand would almost certainly use their veto to block anyone even hinting at removing Russia who is their closest ally amongst the permanent members of the SC. A SC where it’s the US, UK, and France against China is the stuff of nightmares for their diplomatic service.

And honestly any creditable hope of a Russo-China split wrt the SC is a pipe dream.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

EasilyConfused posted:

China would absolutely lose their poo poo since the same article that names the USSR also says the Republic of China, not the PRC.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Nystral posted:

India can’t do poo poo. They’re not a permanent member of the SC and thus do not have a veto.

China on the other hand would almost certainly use their veto to block anyone even hinting at removing Russia who is their closest ally amongst the permanent members of the SC. A SC where it’s the US, UK, and France against China is the stuff of nightmares for their diplomatic service.

And honestly any creditable hope of a Russo-China split wrt the SC is a pipe dream.

This may sound really loving strange, but I think India, Nigeria, and Brazil should have permanent seats. (russia should too, if they could manage to stop being existential threats to their neighbors for a few decades)

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 6, 2022

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

A.o.D. posted:

This may sound really loving strange, but I think India, Nigeria, and Brazil should have permanent seats. (russia should too, if they could manage to stop being existential threats to their neighbors for a few decades)

What do you think Pakistan would do if India got a seat?

I'm not saying India shouldn't, they probably should, but...

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

eke out posted:

seemed like in other videos embedded with ukrainian units, Stugnas get placed on top of cover and everyone hides behind it and waits for tanks to come within range? i wonder if that helicopter was just in a really unlucky place

unlucky?

naw man unskill

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
If you give India a seat you have to give Pakistan one. They both have nukes.

It’d make sense to give permanent seats to the ten most populous countries, because hey that ressembles democracy, however…

Whole lot of not-white people on there, can’t see the western world being down with this.

For what it’s worth, the International Maritime Organization, the UN agency that regulates shipping (sorta, it’s complicated) does most votes on the basis of registered shipping tonnage. So convincing the UK and USA to agree to something is great but if you want to really get poo poo done you have to get Panama and the Marshall Islands to the table.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Nystral posted:

The Security Council can't do anything anyways, Russia can veto their own removal. The point is that the only theoretical way to do this is with virtually complete buy-in from the entire UN membership. I brought up India because they are the second-most influential among Russia's friends. That would matter in such a situation, which again, is complete fantasy anyways.

Grand Fromage posted:

China would absolutely lose their poo poo since the same article that names the USSR also says the Republic of China, not the PRC.

I don't know if it came up in this thread or another one, but China's authority to claim that seat is very clear per the UN resolution that replaced RoC with PRC representation. It's not because of the USSR dissolution argument that China would have a problem.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Stultus Maximus posted:

What do you think Pakistan would do if India got a seat?

Blame America probably.

Topical!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Evergreen

https://youtu.be/QMlARal_oEc

“I know it’s one of America’s current two allies in the world but…”

Edit: I believe this is from mid 00s, so before Modi took over India.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Apr 6, 2022

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

A.o.D. posted:

I’d rather remove the vetoes entirely from the perm members. Or failing that give an override of a veto to a unified rotating members + 3/5 perm members. Pretty much anything to break the logjam.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

EasilyConfused posted:

I don't know if it came up in this thread or another one, but China's authority to claim that seat is very clear per the UN resolution that replaced RoC with PRC representation. It's not because of the USSR dissolution argument that China would have a problem.

I will happily bet you a dollar that if Russia were removed because of the Article 23 language, China would flip the gently caress out about it saying Republic of China and claim that they're next.

And not just because Russia won't be removed so I won't have to pay for that reason. :v:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Grand Fromage posted:

I will happily bet you a dollar that if Russia were removed because of the Article 23 language, China would flip the gently caress out about it saying Republic of China and claim that they're next.

And not just because Russia won't be removed so I won't have to pay for that reason. :v:

I don't suppose it would do any good that they're the [People's] Republic of China, would it?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I don't suppose it would do any good that they're the [People's] Republic of China, would it?

Nah, the Republic of China is right there offshore. And China's propaganda never lets silly things like facts get in the way when they want to spin up the hate.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Nystral posted:

I’d rather remove the vetoes entirely from the perm members. Or failing that give an override of a veto to a unified rotating members + 3/5 perm members. Pretty much anything to break the logjam.

I don't oppose this.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Lots of attention is given to the military aid being given to Ukraine, naturally. I'm seeing a bullet-point right now on BBC highlighting that the US has pledged another $100m in aid, specifically $100m in Javelins. Which is a lot of missiles and CLUs.

Does it seem odd that so much attention is focused on one singular weapons system? Saint Javelin, etc. I get that it's probably the best-in-the-world man portable ATGM system, but drat. Ukraine has more to worry about them just tanks.

Makes me wonder what the most effective form of aid actually is, and if things like massive shipments of atgms are helping to deflect from that. Or, if it's an appeal to something more concrete that the public can understand rather than something abstract. Or a big ole marketing push from the MIC so we buy a bunch more missiles. More helpful or more abstract things that come to mind: The intelligence feeds, satellite overwatch, the AWACS that's been airborne in Poland since day one? I swear I'm not trying to trigger NSA Wizard, I'm just musing at the bar.

A.o.D. posted:

I don't oppose this.

Agreed. The ability of any one permanent member to shut down any action of the UNSC sets it up to be as useless as the League of Nations, it feels like to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Even though it's an ATGM by trade, the Javelin isn't just useful against tanks: it's useful against nearly everything. It makes sense to send because we built them by the fuckload (and a hundred million bucks' worth isn't really that many since they're pretty expensive).

Infantry in a fortified position? Javelin.
Helicopter poking its nose over a hill? Javelin.
Need to make a precision shot to avoid collateral damage? Javelin.