Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Roumba posted:

Which came first? The big screen or the 3 "little" ones?

It more or less all came together at the same time. I carried over the middle 34" UW from a previous setup and added the two 27"s and the 55" TV all at the same time along with the desk/wall build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Speaking of too many monitors...

One of the 2 new monitors I ordered wouldn't auto-switch inputs properly so I had Amazon send a replacement. I have a couple weeks to send back the bum monitor but until then, I've got triple monitors for the first time.

It's really cool in terms of panoramic wallpapers but I don't personally see much of a productivity gain over dual monitors.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

TenementFunster posted:

the rocker footrest is the secret to my posting success :c00l:

i also have a rocker footrest but mines some plastic piece of poo poo that looks ugly as sin. which one do u have i would like it

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

WTFBEES posted:

Get more desk.

those webcam lights seem like they'd be very annoying

dema
Aug 13, 2006

WTFBEES posted:

Get more desk.

This setup is almost amazing. The light leak in the joints of your background frame, thing, are driving me nuts.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Inept posted:

those webcam lights seem like they'd be very annoying

I've since replaced that webcam, but I liked it as an unmistakable reminder that the camera is active. My new one has a tiny and dim light that is much easier to miss. It was also adjustable (show there at the highest brightness).

dema posted:

This setup is almost amazing. The light leak in the joints of your background frame, thing, are driving me nuts.

Yeah, I should really do something about that. I might just stick something behind the gap to stop the leakage.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Smythe posted:

i also have a rocker footrest but mines some plastic piece of poo poo that looks ugly as sin. which one do u have i would like it

I think it’s a Humanscale: https://www.humanscale.com/products/ergonomic-foot-rests/FR300-ergonomic-foot-rocker

I got mine for at least a little bit less a few months ago, but I can confirm it is a good foot rest. It looks good and works well.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Queadlunn posted:

That is a goddamned good animation cell.
hahah hell yes; sharp eye. i’ve been looking at a few that have come up for auction, but prices have really taken off in the past few years. i’ve tried to get other layers of that DYRL autograph scene but nobody has been selling in the last decade

yup that’s the one. i goes on sale pretty regularly i think! i paid $80 about 18 months ago. helped fix a stiff ankle almost immediately

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Apr 1, 2022

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Smythe posted:

i really wanna get a typist foot button for some reason

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

nitsuga posted:

I think it’s a Humanscale: https://www.humanscale.com/products/ergonomic-foot-rests/FR300-ergonomic-foot-rocker

I got mine for at least a little bit less a few months ago, but I can confirm it is a good foot rest. It looks good and works well.

man that is a thing of beauty. 120 feels steep but 80 is about right. will have to wait for a sale.

CoolCab posted:

i really wanna get a typist foot button for some reason

iirc acclaimed YOSPOS poster silver alicorn uses pedals for shift and space i think. seems cool and hella ergo. ive been considering going "full ergo" with a split kb, vertical mouse, etc. seems like something we should all do at some point so we're not RSI addled busted down fuckers in our twilight years. long term project though lol.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Smythe posted:

man that is a thing of beauty.

It really is. I've had my eye on it for a while, but I don't like how narrow pretty much EVERY footrest on the market is, and that one is an inch narrower than the cheap foam one I already have. I'm a broad person and pinching my legs and feet together is not a comfortable way to sit for long periods of time. Does anyone make a wider version of that concept? Literally any company at all? I need like 18+" width, rockability, and height adjustment.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Smythe posted:

iirc acclaimed YOSPOS poster silver alicorn uses pedals for shift and space i think. seems cool and hella ergo. ive been considering going "full ergo" with a split kb, vertical mouse, etc. seems like something we should all do at some point so we're not RSI addled busted down fuckers in our twilight years. long term project though lol.

lol to be totally honest it would be so i could have an extra button in games, particularly one i could bind to sprint or something. that would be rad.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

CoolCab posted:

lol to be totally honest it would be so i could have an extra button in games, particularly one i could bind to sprint or something. that would be rad.

Really it should be for your flashlight

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Smythe posted:

man that is a thing of beauty. 120 feels steep but 80 is about right. will have to wait for a sale.
yeah it rules. i had pain/stiffness in my right ankle since college and it stopped almost entirely after i got the footrest. turns out squishing my foot between the floor and the wall for ~30 years wasn’t good for my achilles and plantar fasciitis or w/e! the rocker can be a bit of fidget, but that just makes me stretch my poo poo even more! 10/10!

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Definitely recommend at least getting an ergo mouse of some sort. I hate vertical mice but love trackballs, I immediately felt much more comfortable after an entire day using it.

Ended up getting a split keyboard too. Just a no frills one, not like the crazy Ergodock or Moonlander. It's been a little weird trying to get typing right but again it did wonders for my workday.

May be worth it to see if your company will pay for ergo equipment too. Two of the last few companies would give you keyboards and mice and even sit to stand desks with no pushback.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Seconding split keyboards with a standard layout, it's an easier switch than it seems and they do wonders. Still waiting for someone to put a decent sensor in one of those vertical ergo mice, though

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Unsinkabear posted:

It really is. I've had my eye on it for a while, but I don't like how narrow pretty much EVERY footrest on the market is, and that one is an inch narrower than the cheap foam one I already have. I'm a broad person and pinching my legs and feet together is not a comfortable way to sit for long periods of time. Does anyone make a wider version of that concept? Literally any company at all? I need like 18+" width, rockability, and height adjustment.

Unsinkabear posted:

Seconding split keyboards with a standard layout, it's an easier switch than it seems and they do wonders. Still waiting for someone to put a decent sensor in one of those vertical ergo mice, though

How about a split footrest? Buy two identical ones!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Budgie posted:

How about a split footrest? Buy two identical ones!

split monitors! split keyboard! split mouse! split footrest! split desk! split chair, one for each cheek!

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Now you're thinkin' with your butt

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
2022 Work Setup

- Late 2021 macbook Pro 16 inch charged/powered by and connected to main monitor via thunderbolt (can't get enough of the M1 chip or the display which is fantastic)
- Dell U4021QW as main monitor, which is an incredible 5K2K curved ultrawide that I love dearly.
- 12.9 Inch M1 iPad Pro with magic keyboard serving as third monitor via Universal Control (or sidecar but I rarely ever need that). The magic keyboard also lets me grab the ipad whenever I'm moving around the house, to read in bed, when I want to do a cooking recipe etc.

Sorry about the RGB keyboard that is probably triggering some people, but I have a Filco Majestouch 2 with cherry browns and sometimes use that too. Just depends on the mood.

Audio setup is a 2 channel class AB amplifier with a Schiit Modi 3 and JBL Studio 530 speakers.

Across the room, Gaming Setup

RTX 3080 / Ryzen Windows 11
LG C9 OLED connected via HDMI 2.1 for 4K/120 and HDMI 2.1 VRR
A second pair of Studio 530s connected to an HDMI 2.1 receiver
A random PS5

But wait how do you play KB/mouse games

I have a DP 1.4 cable run around the side of the room to play mouse/KB games on my U4021QW if I need to, which isn't often. Mostly stick to PS5 and games that used the Xbox controller.

For my chair, I use a Herman Miller Embody. Last weekend I had to replace the gas cylinder, which was actually pretty difficult, but I've used the drat thing for 10+ years so fair enough. Treat your back right folks. The amortized cost of this chair is like $100 a year and keeps dropping, it's not that expensive.

Taima fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 5, 2022

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

cage-free egghead posted:

Definitely recommend at least getting an ergo mouse of some sort. I hate vertical mice but love trackballs, I immediately felt much more comfortable after an entire day using it.

Ended up getting a split keyboard too. Just a no frills one, not like the crazy Ergodock or Moonlander. It's been a little weird trying to get typing right but again it did wonders for my workday.

May be worth it to see if your company will pay for ergo equipment too. Two of the last few companies would give you keyboards and mice and even sit to stand desks with no pushback.

Unsinkabear posted:

Yeah, the switch isn't that bad, though I alternate between standard and split so the muscle memory isn't there. (Split at work where it's typing heavy, standard at home where it's mostly a game peripheral or just used for messaging.)

Still waiting for a good ergo mouse to exist in general. At least one that isn't bank breaking. I've tried several and none are an improvement, several (including every vertical mouse I've tried) were noticeably worse.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

WTFBEES posted:

Get more desk.

Ok ... that's what I need. Not the back light wall, but 2-3 normal monitors and a 48 or 55 OLED TV on top ... ok. The money's burning in my wallet already.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Taima posted:

2022 Work Setup

- Late 2021 macbook Pro 16 inch charged/powered by and connected to main monitor via thunderbolt (can't get enough of the M1 chip or the display which is fantastic)
- Dell U4021QW as main monitor, which is an incredible 5K2K curved ultrawide that I love dearly.
- 12.9 Inch M1 iPad Pro with magic keyboard serving as third monitor via Universal Control (or sidecar but I rarely ever need that). The magic keyboard also lets me grab the ipad whenever I'm moving around the house, to read in bed, when I want to do a cooking recipe etc.

Sorry about the RGB keyboard that is probably triggering some people, but I have a Filco Majestouch 2 with cherry browns and sometimes use that too. Just depends on the mood.

Audio setup is a 2 channel class AB amplifier with a Schiit Modi 3 and JBL Studio 530 speakers.

Across the room, Gaming Setup

RTX 3080 / Ryzen Windows 11
LG C9 OLED connected via HDMI 2.1 for 4K/120 and HDMI 2.1 VRR
A second pair of Studio 530s connected to an HDMI 2.1 receiver
A random PS5

But wait how do you play KB/mouse games

I have a DP 1.4 cable run around the side of the room to play mouse/KB games on my U4021QW if I need to, which isn't often. Mostly stick to PS5 and games that used the Xbox controller.

For my chair, I use a Herman Miller Embody. Last weekend I had to replace the gas cylinder, which was actually pretty difficult, but I've used the drat thing for 10+ years so fair enough. Treat your back right folks. The amortized cost of this chair is like $100 a year and keeps dropping, it's not that expensive.

nice job mate. a little loud for me but i can appreciate it. goon heaven. beautiful.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Thanks. Totally fair on the loud.

This is so lame but the reason I turn the gaming setup those colors is because that's my master bedroom. I work from home, and the master bedroom is where all the work AND gaming is done, AND my home gym along with like... sleeping of course too.

The only time I leave my room, generally speaking, is going biking (mountain or road biking for at least one hour, 7 days a week) and evenings I'm cooking dinner and hanging out with the wife until we go to sleep. I don't eat during the day; just one meal a day, at dinner. I rarely run errands or shop for groceries; kind of a long story but I don't have to do those things, they are done for me.

As a result my life is depressingly static during weekdays. So, to give the illusion of free will and difference in my daily schedule, I change the lights. The lighting around the office PC that you see there is the "workday" lighting when im coding or taking a zoom call or whatever.

Then when the workday is done I turn on the party lights so I can have some small change of pace, so it doesn't all blur together. Kinda sad I guess, but there it is.

Taima fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 6, 2022

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
Looks great dude. My setup's in the bedroom too, gotta make every detail count. Life could be worse.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Taima posted:

Thanks. Totally fair on the loud.

This is so lame but the reason I turn the gaming setup those colors is because that's my master bedroom. I work from home, and the master bedroom is where all the work AND gaming is done, AND my home gym along with like... sleeping of course too.

The only time I leave my room, generally speaking, is going biking (mountain or road biking for at least one hour, 7 days a week) and evenings I'm cooking dinner and hanging out with the wife until we go to sleep. I don't eat during the day; just one meal a day, at dinner. I rarely run errands or shop for groceries; kind of a long story but I don't have to do those things, they are done for me.

As a result my life is depressingly static during weekdays. So, to give the illusion of free will and difference in my daily schedule, I change the lights. The lighting around the office PC that you see there is the "workday" lighting when im coding or taking a zoom call or whatever.

Then when the workday is done I turn on the party lights so I can have some small change of pace, so it doesn't all blur together. Kinda sad I guess, but there it is.

blink twice if you need me to call the police

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
You really need to eat more than once a day dude; that isn’t healthy.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

I eat one meal a day to STAY healthy man, one of the best things I ever did for myself.

Anyways this isn't a thread about my weird life, apologies and thanks for the concern yall it is appreciated :)

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

SkyeAuroline posted:

Still waiting for a good ergo mouse to exist in general. At least one that isn't bank breaking. I've tried several and none are an improvement, several (including every vertical mouse I've tried) were noticeably worse.

One of the big trackballs is the answer (NOT a thumb ball), or forcing yourself to use the mouse with your entire arm. The issue with every mouse is the movement you do, unless you use your whole arm, works very weak areas of your wrist.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

SkyeAuroline posted:

I have two mice plugged in and make myself mouse with my off hand as much as possible.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
I eat over 100 times a day but they're fork-sized meals.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Taima posted:

I eat one meal a day to STAY healthy man, one of the best things I ever did for myself.

Anyways this isn't a thread about my weird life, apologies and thanks for the concern yall it is appreciated :)
lmfao the crypto avatar

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Coredump posted:

I have two mice plugged in and make myself mouse with my off hand as much as possible.

I can make myself mouse with my off hand but it generally takes way longer, and it doesn’t feel nearly as good

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

hopefully the single meal is good though

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
Few men have mastered the 1800-calorie 5pm Chaos Meal. Many have tried.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
as long as it isn't soylent

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Also shoutout the humanscale foot deal. I've had mine a couple years and it's a tank.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

shrike82 posted:

hopefully the single meal is good though

We tend to stick to east asian food because western food is bad at being healthy and tasty at the same, generally speaking. Lots of sushi, korean, chinese

It’s just intermittent fasting, 20 hour fast / 4 hour eat window, it’s not as strange as people imagine :shrug: it’s not even hard once your body is used to it. I don’t get hungry till about 4pm.

e:

TenementFunster posted:

lmfao the crypto avatar

It's a gang tag friend, not an av. Though, I did used to deal in bitcoins back when they were $10 each. At the time it was the only way to buy drugs on the original Silk Road, using the Tor browser.

Buying bitcoins was actually a hilarious process at the time because you had to wire money to shady accounts. I had to do this, in person, at my bank, and I was like idk early 20s at the time. One of the finance guys took me aside and was like "this 99% looks like a scam, this is shady af". But they let me do it, and I got (excellent and super potent) drugs in exchange. I did get a nastygram once from the feds though. Luckily I wasn't married yet because the weird letters from Europe were hard to explain.

If I had just held onto those bitcoins instead of buying drugs I would be extremely rich because it would be like 10 bitcoins for $100 worth of drugs, which at one point was enough bitcoins to buy a nice house (or still is maybe I don't gently caress with bitcoins these days).

Unlike many goons I have nothing against people who do trade in bitcoin though. Sure they're a front for all kinds of unsavory things, but so is the dollar, so whatever.

Taima fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 8, 2022

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Chilled Milk posted:

Also shoutout the humanscale foot deal. I've had mine a couple years and it's a tank.
hell yeah brother

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I'm pretty happy with my new setup! I had been using two 24" asus monitors, but the bezel was really thick so I felt like I was always turned either left or right and I couldn't just sit in the middle. Even though I'm not a streamer I opted to do the "streamer" setup with one monitor in portrait. I'm really loving happy with it, but I'm open to suggestions (I'm considering getting an arm and letting me do a "stacked" setup and get rid of my desk lamp).

Also please ignore the towel, it's temporary until I get a curtain for that loving window