Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

MarcusSA posted:

Does Upload get better? I’m like 2 episodes in and I’m not so sure about it.

What are you not sure about? They advertise it like it's a comedy, which it is at times, but it is also a horrifying commentary about the society of its world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I dunno I’m just not jiving with the two lead characters yet.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
If you don’t like Upload after a few episodes, you probably won’t like the rest either.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

It's a solid B.

The second season so far is B minus C plus

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I think they are both really good.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

This is definitely a me problem but I found the characters being so unearthly pretty made it hard to completely sympathise with their 'life is hard, in this economy' angle. Like it seemed they gave the fat nerd office guy a scene to establish he was in fact a chud, not that he'd been brushed off earlier for not being eligible to star on the WB.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Chubby Henparty posted:

This is definitely a me problem but I found the characters being so unearthly pretty made it hard to completely sympathise with their 'life is hard, in this economy' angle. Like it seemed they gave the fat nerd office guy a scene to establish he was in fact a chud, not that he'd been brushed off earlier for not being eligible to star on the WB.

I appreciate that looking pretty is meant to be a defining characteristic of the privileged characters, but I did think it was frustrating that the office workers were all basically super hot even before their digital glow ups.

It's the kind of thing you have to accept with TV -- I read somewhere that only 3% of body types are represented on television, but this was decades ago and that number could have gone up or down -- but it's still often frustrating. I think the world can root for realistic looking people to fall in love with each other, ya know?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

MarcusSA posted:

I dunno I’m just not jiving with the two lead characters yet.

I made it 3 or 4 episodes in and quit for that reason. I didn't like the guy at all and the whole thing just has a weird... tinge to it I didn't like.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I still haven’t watched Upload S2 but yeah it has this weird “cartoon real life” vibe that makes some of its more serious satire/social criticism not land as well. If the real life parts were less cartoony than the upload parts that would have helped, but it all felt cartoony. Still, I liked it well enough

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Idk if anyone else talked about it yet but the whole of Degrassi the next generation is now on HBO. I guess they're doing a reboot show too.

My wife had never watched degrassi before so I showed her a couple episodes from season two and now she's (and me again) hooked.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

I think the world can root for realistic looking people to fall in love with each other, ya know?

Do you? I don't think people want to see ugly people that much. What's the ugliest show and what's the most successful ugliest show? In terms of cast, and not in terms of "oh I think such and such hot person is fugly actually" but just average looking mediocre faces, lacking symmetry, nice features, and other hallmarks of conventional media beauty. I can vaguely recall some reality shows over the years to have an uggo or three but the closest I can think of for scripted shows are maybe some of those deeply sub-mediocre network sitcoms aimed at the kind of audience that would never post here or talk online about tv shows, like maybe that kevin james show where he's a racecar guy i can't remember the name of or any faces from because my body just can't see that sort of show. even that i assume is stocked with attractive folks.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Upload's definitely a curious balance of silly cartoonish comedy and genuinely depressing social commentary and existential crisis. But like... i'm glad. There's no way I would have been able to get through it if it was just all "we're all gonna die and your very existence is dependent on capitalist whims." I know that already! I want to be distracted with charming silliness and romance and intrigue.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Kingtheninja posted:

Idk if anyone else talked about it yet but the whole of Degrassi the next generation is now on HBO. I guess they're doing a reboot show too.

My wife had never watched degrassi before so I showed her a couple episodes from season two and now she's (and me again) hooked.

I love the original 80s ones, you should start her there!

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

STAC Goat posted:

Upload's definitely a curious balance of silly cartoonish comedy and genuinely depressing social commentary and existential crisis. But like... i'm glad. There's no way I would have been able to get through it if it was just all "we're all gonna die and your very existence is dependent on capitalist whims." I know that already! I want to be distracted with charming silliness and romance and intrigue.

I agree. Upload works because it's funny and sweet besides being semi-dystopian.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Upload's comedy, drama, and social commentary just never get to the same places as the premiere Office-creator afterlife show. It really feels like a ten year old show somehow.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/ditzkoff/status/1511389047838679046

That's literally the entire TNG cast

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

It would have been wrong to not bring everyone in for a last hurrah.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Finally, the backdoor pilot to Dr Crusher: Federation Assassin we've all been waiting for.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I'd be more interested if they got all new writers

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Shageletic posted:

I'd be more interested if they got all new writers

Fifth times the charm!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx6AS0zzfGM
New Barry trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFj5K7WmwqI
Josh Brolin with spooky goings on at the ranch on Amazon Prime

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Not Wesley :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

He'll probably show up and ruin whatever scene he's in.

I fuckin hate Wil Wheaton.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

He seems like a nice dude.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Hell yeah man Barry gonna be back

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I watched Stand By Me for the first time recently and Wheaton was very good in it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Escobarbarian posted:

I watched Stand By Me for the first time recently and Wheaton was very good in it.

I AM ALLOWED TO HATE WIL WHEATON ESCO

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Rhyno posted:

I fuckin hate Wil Wheaton.

GreenNight posted:

He seems like a nice dude.

I don't necessarily enjoy the Wesley Crusher character, but I can confirm that Wil himself is a super nice dude.

I've met him a few times over the years, from the mid-90's up until a few years ago, and he was always friendly and respectful, even in situations where Star Trek super-nerds were weirding out at him.

I hope they give him at least a cameo in Picard, if that's something he wants to do.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I got five seconds into the Barry trailer and realized I don't want to watch the trailer at all!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

I AM ALLOWED TO HATE WIL WHEATON ESCO

Your mistake was being a Star Trek guy

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Isn't he still friends with the abuser Chris Hardwick? That's enough reason to dislike him.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Chris Hardwicks wife has mentioned numerous times that he’s a different guy since he’s been sober. Not that gives him a pass for past behavior but still. He didn’t meet his current wife until after he quit booze.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Isn't he still friends with the abuser Chris Hardwick? That's enough reason to dislike him.

He caped so hard for the man that he blew up his social media over it. Wil Wheaton sucks rear end.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

theflyingexecutive posted:

I got five seconds into the Barry trailer and realized I don't want to watch the trailer at all!

Spoiler: this season looks great!

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Just realized I never finished S5 of Better Call Saul - apparently we stopped at the episode where Kim and Jimmy get married. Now on 8, "Bagman"

God this show is so good. Can't wait for April 18th!

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

lol halo is so loving dumb but I'll watch the whole thing

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

The CGI is fuckin garbage lmao hell yeah

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Skipped through one episode out of curiosity. As someone with zero interest in or experience with the games, it looked like a potentially fun dumb goofy space military show. If I hear alright things by the end of the season I'll give it a shot.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Escobarbarian posted:

He was great in toy soldiers with Sean Astin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

GreenNight posted:

Chris Hardwicks wife has mentioned numerous times that he’s a different guy since he’s been sober. Not that gives him a pass for past behavior but still. He didn’t meet his current wife until after he quit booze.

Her family (she's Patty Hearst's daughter) went out of their way to help Hardwick avoid any real repercussions. So maybe, hopefully, he's a changed man, but that whole bunch is rotten.