Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ante posted:

Someone sneaks a second bot into the same fight

My god that's Rusty's music!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

PostNouveau posted:

There's also a lot of chatter on Reddit about the new out of bounds rules. Apparently, you cannot put someone out of bounds intentionally. If it's an accident, you win the match. If it's intentional, you're DQ'd. It would be funny if Blip and Tantrum were forced to fight for TV reasons, Tantrum just parked near the out of bounds area and let Blip flip it out, and then Blip is DQ'd using a rule they haven't talked about or applied all year.

You know, I was thinking in the past episode that it seemed like flippers weren't aiming for the DQ as much as I thought they should, I guess that rule explains why

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

RBA Starblade posted:

My god that's Rusty's music!

the treads he went with this season, i thought were just baffling

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

You know, I was thinking in the past episode that it seemed like flippers weren't aiming for the DQ as much as I thought they should, I guess that rule explains why

That's a weird rule change. I guess it's for safety?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

That's a weird rule change. I guess it's for safety?

Yeah. They greatly reduced the amount of out of bounds area because it was dangerous for the crew to have to remove bots from it.

I don't know why they kept any OOB area at all if their new rules is going to be so vague as "don't do it intentionally".

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

How could they possibly determine intent :psyduck:

If you don't want ringouts maybe don't design a battle box that allows for them?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

is pepsi ok posted:

How could they possibly determine intent :psyduck:

If you don't want ringouts maybe don't design a battle box that allows for them?

Yeah, complete idiocy to keep the small OOB areas. They're lucky it hasn't come up yet.

But indications are it's more to do with a "Ship of Theseus" controversy. Cobalt team said it would become apparent later why their fight was highlighted instead of shown. Tantrum got all hosed up by Rotator. Could be something along the lines of Blip fighting as "Tantrum" or Whiplash strapping the Tantrum weapon on and getting a rematch with Cobalt.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

PostNouveau posted:

I don't know why they kept any OOB area at all if their new rules is going to be so vague as "don't do it intentionally".

I think the only corner that it's still possible is where the entrance is. That part of the lower wall is hinged and behind it is the door.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I'm okay with the ringouts that have happened so far, and do like them from a certain perspective -- but that's precisely why the upper deck has grown on me over the course of the season. It's a more specific and intentional target for such things and it's been used well (even though it's brand new and a bit of a surprise) plus it checks the safety box.

It feels more controlled in practice and there's potential for more drama watching a robot attempt to recover while the other one lurks like a shark. Unfortunately, that the red edge is a sticking hazard inconsistently in way that does not happen with the yellow edge (like with Whiplash).

Wait does this mean Hydra eats a DQ if he tosses a robot on top of the viewing windows? Very mixed feelings there.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, complete idiocy to keep the small OOB areas. They're lucky it hasn't come up yet.

But indications are it's more to do with a "Ship of Theseus" controversy. Cobalt team said it would become apparent later why their fight was highlighted instead of shown. Tantrum got all hosed up by Rotator. Could be something along the lines of Blip fighting as "Tantrum" or Whiplash strapping the Tantrum weapon on and getting a rematch with Cobalt.

There was a team video from them that talked about all the shared frame/internal componentry as a way of making pit repair part inventory easier, seems plausible.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

PostNouveau posted:

I wonder if Aren Hill pulls something in the semis from a bot eliminated in the quarters.

Teams sharing parts isn't unheard of. Jake even admitted to taking parts from Fusion to stick in Hydra after the prelims.

I'm wondering if it has something to do with Riptide. From earlier threads, a lot of builders are kind of sour on that team for multiple reasons. One of them being that they copied another bot precisely down to the exact screw placement. Another one of them being that they prematurely started against Huge and got a free hit in before the match was restarted. Maybe they pull that again with Sawblaze.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Okay, calling it now. There's a hosed up judge's decision relating to Cobalt.

The last one was hosed up, but can you even imagine if that was the finals match

Edit: actually I'm going to go one further.

Exhibit A: someone said that the Cobalt match is important for future context

Exhibit B: Aren has never hinted at any drama, and as far as I've seen, no one has directed any at him. So I don't think he has anything to do with it

Exhibit C: Hydra has been posting judge scorecards and complaining all season

Conclusion: there's a questionable decision in favour of Cobalt vs Hydra.

As much as I like Blip, sounds like both those bots are out

ante fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 4, 2022

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

PostNouveau posted:

I don't think so. I watched a Norwalk playoff match where two Jamison Go bots matched up and they didn't even fight. The team decided which would forfeit. The announcers said that was standard operating procedure in robot combat.

There's also a lot of chatter on Reddit about the new out of bounds rules. Apparently, you cannot put someone out of bounds intentionally. If it's an accident, you win the match. If it's intentional, you're DQ'd. It would be funny if Blip and Tantrum were forced to fight for TV reasons, Tantrum just parked near the out of bounds area and let Blip flip it out, and then Blip is DQ'd using a rule they haven't talked about or applied all year.

It is pretty normal for Norwalk (and presumably other low weight class events).

Would be quite something though to have a bot just kind of forfeit / not try on Battlebots to let their other team bot advance. Like it would be game changing for Battlebots and accepting teams to compete every year.

But I can't really imagine a controversial moment in Battlebots that wasn't based around Jake Ewert... Also seems he has mentioned a couple times through his Youtube channel about what the rules do or do not allow for modifications to a bot. Like he welded the forks together on to Hydra for the Ribbot fight so Hydra would still look like Hydra.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

ante posted:

Exhibit C: Hydra has been posting judge scorecards and complaining all season

to be fair, Jake would do that for fun

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Also to be fair. If anyone were to cause a lot of controversy. It likely would come from Jake / Team Whyachi. Anyone else they could just ban and not accept applications from. Team Whyachi is special though and make the speed controllers and some other parts most of the teams are using... so it's not quite as easy to say sorry you can't compete.

If I were guessing though, it would make complete sense that the controversy would be from Jake running a vertical spinner configuration on Hydra which he showed off for one of the Skorpios videos while asking if it's still the same bot and within the rules.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Also to be fair. If anyone were to cause a lot of controversy. It likely would come from Jake / Team Whyachi. Anyone else they could just ban and not accept applications from. Team Whyachi is special though and make the speed controllers and some other parts most of the teams are using... so it's not quite as easy to say sorry you can't compete.

If I were guessing though, it would make complete sense that the controversy would be from Jake running a vertical spinner configuration on Hydra which he showed off for one of the Skorpios videos while asking if it's still the same bot and within the rules.

Just posted on their FB

Also, all the buzz could just be about a BS judge's decision too.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

Also, all the buzz could just be about a BS judge's decision too.

ah. the unsurprising, controversial SA goon judge vote. can't wait

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Has anyone commented that a great way to tell who won during the split decision readout is if the first score is from judge Derek, that's always the loser

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ante posted:

Has anyone commented that a great way to tell who won during the split decision readout is if the first score is from judge Derek, that's always the loser

I feel like it's well-known that he's the dumb one who usually makes the weird decisions.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

That's because when Lisa gets announced last on a split the incels emerge from their caves to explain why she's wrong.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

ante posted:

Derek's pretty consistent about weighting (complete) control more heavily. He's probably responsible for 10% of all wins for non-spinners.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

is pepsi ok posted:

Yeah the Minotaur Maneuver might be the sickest thing I've ever seen in this sport. If End Game had landed a clean shot to their underside while they were doing that they might have been KOed but they just skirted around them. What an insane move.

Warhead running into their opponent on their spinner while inverted was pretty crazy to see at the time.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Big ups to the driver pretending it was intentional.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

vid for reference

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q7nZlcOlkg&t=80s

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

so I got to the thread late (I don't generally do tviv) but here is my incredibly busted bracket that I still am somewhat proud of because I did the wordart based on "whatever fonts I had available"

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
Sawblaze v Minotaur will hopefully be a fun match, but Minotaur is a tough brick that I could see Sawblaze having a hard time registering significant damage on. Sawblaze could get Minotaur under its forks and just get lit up by that drum spinner. It's a tough matchup for Sawblaze but I'm going to root for whichever team wins that match to win the whole thing. Both teams have great drivers and deserve to win dat nut.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Railing Kill posted:

Sawblaze v Minotaur will hopefully be a fun match, but Minotaur is a tough brick that I could see Sawblaze having a hard time registering significant damage on. Sawblaze could get Minotaur under its forks and just get lit up by that drum spinner. It's a tough matchup for Sawblaze but I'm going to root for whichever team wins that match to win the whole thing. Both teams have great drivers and deserve to win dat nut.

Sawblaze actually already left Minotaur in flames this season! Although I'd bet they won't make the same mistake of getting upside down again.

Although they have to get through Rip Tide & Witch Doctor respectively too get that rematch.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Sawblaze actually already left Minotaur in flames this season! Although I'd bet they won't make the same mistake of getting upside down again.

It wasn't even particularly close

https://twitter.com/discovery/status/1481687489681240074

They have a paper-rock-scissors thing this season where Sawblaze hosed Minotaur up real good, Minotaur beat End Game pretty easily, and End Game threw Sawblaze out of the box in 10 seconds flat.

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

After watching sawblaze's fights so far, I really don't see how he can lose to any of the remaining bots on his side of the bracket. I can't predict how he'll match up against the flippers but I don't know how a spinner could get it done against him.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Tantrum and Cobalt both have good shots of taking out Sawblaze since they can win the ground game. Tantrum already did it last year.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Blip is being taken for a ride in the shots that have been released. One big flip at ten seconds in, and a huge one at 35 seconds :smith:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ante posted:

Blip is being taken for a ride in the shots that have been released. One big flip at ten seconds in, and a huge one at 35 seconds :smith:

Maybe it's a misdirect!

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

halokiller posted:

Tantrum and Cobalt both have good shots of taking out Sawblaze since they can win the ground game. Tantrum already did it last year.

Yeah definitely, but I think they're on the opposite side of the bracket. I would check my bracket but I threw it away after the 2nd half of the round of 32...

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Found out Cobalt's weapon costs $50,000 because it is a completely new alloy invented for them. They paid $0 for it but it was costly for the sponsor.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
it costs $50,000 to run this weapon... for 12 seconds

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

No winner or specifics to the finals but... Some people won't want to read it maybe...

Pretty sure there were 2 controversial worthy decisions in the finals... One from the judges and one from the refs...

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Yeah that was an... interesting decision by the refs. Apparently the losing team had a couple of people get into a shouting match with the BattleBots CEO and the audience nearly rioted.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Great Beer posted:

Yeah that was an... interesting decision by the refs. Apparently the losing team had a couple of people get into a shouting match with the BattleBots CEO and the audience nearly rioted.

(This is the controversial match spoiler with bot names... probably don't want to click it...)

The Battlebot's rule book actually states that if a bot is stuck after 90 seconds into a match, they'd get counted out. It also states there is a 20 second time before they pause the match to unstick a bot if it's before 90 seconds... And you can clearly see the clock when Minotaur is on the shelf and it's in the 1:40s remaining, they had to call the timeout within 5 seconds of Witch Doctor getting stuck!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Alright, final episode. Time to watch every fight with a judge's decision and go "Is this the big controversy?"

Sawblaze took care of business with Riptide. That looked like a pretty even matchup going into it, but it didn't seem to be in doubt at all. Those forks worked perfectly. Glad Sawblaze shook their quarterfinal curse.

Tantrum done done it again. Great driving, just jabbing the whole time and using maybe Cobalt's only weakness of its weapon range.

Magnet stuck to the rail for Blip. Who could have called that? That's some terrible luck. Didn't get to see much of the ground game we thought would decide the match because Blip spent so much time on its back.

The controversy 1:

Witch Doctor-Minotaur:I think if unsticks happened more often, this would be less controversial because the rules do allow for them within the first 90 seconds.

It would have been hilarious if the judges deemed Minotaur the winner after they limped around for 90 seconds on one wheel because Witch Doctor absolutely could have just finished them off and probably just lost themselves aggression points by not doing anything themselves.

The judge's decision itself I can't fault though. Minotaur was basically incapacitated.

I don't think the refs or judges made any mistakes in that match; pretty much all the controversy was caused by Witch Doctor's decision to not finish Minotaur off.

I get not engaging for a bit, because engaging turns the countdown off. But after, like, 20 seconds, the ref has clearly made a decision and you have to finish the fight based on that decision not spend a whole minute asking them to change their mind.

The controversy 2:

Hydra-Tantrum: bad decision here. Judges botched it. I can see how you might talk yourself into part of Hydra's flipper getting sheared off being the only noticeable damage of the fight, but still. Tantrum spent most of the fight airborne.

Jake nailed it that he should have won aggression. Tantrum moved around a bunch, but they didn't go in for weapon hits a lot. Both weapons are trigger activated instead of constantly running spinners, so you could probably go count the number of activations. I bet Hydra doubled Tantrum up.

The rest:

Sawblaze-Witch Doctor :catstare:

That was probably the best knockout of Witch Doctor's career.

See, Mike, what happens when you don't stop and beg for a countout after you take off one wheel?

WD should keep that single weapon configuration on for the finale. That was insane.

Final: Pretty disappointing. One bot gets disabled immediately. Shoulda been counted out much sooner than they were. You really want a slugfest for the final, with like, a knockout coming 15 seconds before the bell so it's not a judge's decision. Instead, a relatively minor bit of damage high centers Witch Doctor right away.

Tantrum had a great run, but I woulda much rather seen Witch Doctor win. Pretty bummed about the Galatlies getting second again.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

Hydra-Tantrum: bad decision here. Judges botched it. I can see how you might talk yourself into part of Hydra's flipper getting sheared off being the only noticeable damage of the fight, but still. Tantrum spent most of the fight airborne.

Jake nailed it that he should have won aggression. Tantrum moved around a bunch, but they didn't go in for weapon hits a lot. Both weapons are trigger activated instead of constantly running spinners, so you could probably go count the number of activations. I bet Hydra doubled Tantrum up.

I respectfully but strenuously disagree. Jake can say he “pointed” all he wants, but he can charge if he wants aggression. The flipper isn’t a gun. He isn’t aiming it with a chance of it engaging unless and until he takes the next step and actually drives forward. I would hope that bots in Tantrum’s position would generally win both aggression and control because they’re the ones who chose when engagement happened, and how. Although it’s more fun to watch Hydra flip things high, I don’t see a way for Hydra to get more points in a match like that.

Ultimately, Tantrum is an incredibly well designed bot- not because it’s great at destroying things, but because its design allows it to showcase aggression and control by choosing when to engage. It forces opponents to win by getting damage points, but it’s durable enough that it’s fairly difficult to do that. Hydra just didn’t deal enough damage to win.

I don’t see a great solution unless BB decides to add an “X-factor” or “entertainment” category or something else.

Separately on the “controversy” I’ll say without spoilers that it wasn’t as controversial as I expected and I assume that it must have read differently live, because I didn’t see anything here that I thought would really change the outcome.