Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Correct, according to these stats I was wrong to say that the vast majority of people who go into ICU survive. It remains the case however that the vast majority of people won't need to be hospitalised, the vast majority of people who are hospitalised won't end up in ICU, and a slight majority of those who end up in ICU survive.

Also the point of my anecdote, in the context of a discussion about long COVID, was that it's possible to end up in ICU but still come out of it without long-term effects. Which actually frankly seems a bit unfair if fully vaccinated and otherwise healthy young people are getting long COVID, but that's nature for you I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The other thing to consider is that few come out of the ICU intact, and the sicker you are the more of a toll it takes on you:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5506407/

quote:

PICS is now being recognized as a public health burden due to the associated neuropsychological and functional disability, however its exact prevalence remains unknown.

Cognitive impairment: It has been reported to occur on average in 25% of ICU survivors, but few studies have shown its incidence to be significantly high, occurring in more than 3/4th of ICU survivors.[5-7] The major risk factors associated with it are duration of delirium in ICU, acute brain dysfunction (stroke, alcoholism), hypoxia (ARDS, cardiac arrest), hypotension (severe sepsis, trauma), glucose dysregulation, respiratory failure requiring prolonged mechanical ventilation, severe sepsis, use of renal replacement therapy, and acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS), prior cognitive impairment (older age, preexisting cognitive deficits, premorbid health conditions).[8-12]

Psychiatric illnesses
The risk of developing psychological disability after discharge from intensive care, ranges from one to sixty two percent (%) in the form of depression, anxiety, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)[6,12-15] The risk factors are same as for cognitive impairment and also include the female gender, lower education level, preexisting disability, and the use of sedation and analgesia in ICU.[14-16]

Physical
ICU-acquired neuromuscular weakness is the most common form of physical impairment occurring more than 25% of ICU survivors (poor mobility, recurrent falls, or quadri or tetra paresis).[17-19] Conditions strongly associated with the development of ICU-acquired weakness include prolonged mechanical ventilation (> 7 days), sepsis, multisystem organ failure, as well as prolonged duration of the bed-restore deep sedation.

big risk factors for all of these include mechanical ventilation and sedation, so pretty much any intubated covid patient ... even a non-fatal trip to the ICU is a bad outcome

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Shere posted:

This is just nihilism. Nothing you do matters on "a long enough timescale", why bother? If you can significantly delay rolling the dice on getting some sort of long term disability you would be a fool not to. This is literally the concept behind every precautionary measure in modern medicine.

If the vaccine reduces your odds of winding up with anosmia (or any of the other many noted long term effects of COVID) then masking and avoiding situations where you're likely to get COVID reduces it even further. You are actually directly in control of all of these things and pretending you aren't is actually ridiculous.

You're trying to cast lifestyle changes for prevention against viral disease as if it's comparable to those of chronic illness, which is absurd. Covid isn't caused by someone being unhealthy, it's caused by being in close proximity to someone with Covid. You're not recommending someone cut down on red meat and alcohol or that they get 10,000 steps a day, here. It's not "nihilism" to believe that permanent abstinence from social activity or ever having your face uncovered in public isn't a worthwhile tradeoff for avoiding a virus that they're already inoculated against.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I wonder if long covid will enter pop culture the same way polio victims wearing elbow crutches did.

I wouldn’t be surprised if that happens. One of the contestants on Top Chef this season has long COVID, and he’s mentioned a few times he’s not sure if a dish he’s preparing is going to work because his sense of taste is hosed.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Xombie posted:

You're trying to cast lifestyle changes for prevention against viral disease as if it's comparable to those of chronic illness, which is absurd. Covid isn't caused by someone being unhealthy, it's caused by being in close proximity to someone with Covid. You're not recommending someone cut down on red meat and alcohol or that they get 10,000 steps a day, here. It's not "nihilism" to believe that permanent abstinence from social activity or ever having your face uncovered in public isn't a worthwhile tradeoff for avoiding a virus that they're already inoculated against.

Being able to take those risks for something as petty as in person dining is an expression of class privilege. I get that thing and get the long version which ruins my ability to work, I lose a good portion of my yearly income and my ODSP is already maxed out.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

StratGoatCom posted:

Being able to take those risks for something as petty as in person dining is an expression of class privilege.

You sure about that? Is there any data on the class status / economic status of people who are out and about more than other people?

I've been going out to some things and it sure doesn't seem like its just hoity toity rich folks traipsing about because they can afford to get sick or whatever. I went to a relatively small (probably a couple thousand people) concert a few months back and it was definitely not mostly fancy people there haha. Very working class.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

StratGoatCom posted:

Being able to take those risks for something as petty as in person dining is an expression of class privilege.

Where did I say anything about restaurants? Once again: contracting covid is caused by being in close proximity to someone with Covid. It isn't caused by restaurant food. Are you trying to claim that underprivileged people don't socialize with each other?

quote:

I get that thing and get the long version which ruins my ability to work, I lose a good portion of my yearly income and my ODSP is already maxed out.

You are welcome to continue isolating and masking then? I don't see your point here in respect to what I said.

This is such a weird and asinine red herring/strawman response.

Xombie fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 5, 2022

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

StratGoatCom posted:

This take is so completely divorced from reality I have to wonder what orifice it was pulled from. Participation in social, dining and entertainment activities during the pandemic has not been limited by class or representative of class and I challenge you to come up with anything that shows it.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

MadJackal posted:

These are not common outcomes and you really should point out if they were vaccinated or not.

They were fully vaccinated

So was my manager. He caught it twice and can't do office work full time anymore because of fatigue. He's out with his second round of pnemonia right now, actually.

I'm observing this virus disable my friends and coworkers in real time.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

The Ferret King posted:

I'm observing this virus disable my friends and coworkers in real time.

Well that's the thing about anecdotes, isn't it? I've spent the pandemic watching my friends and coworkers either a) not get covid at all or b) get covid and experience the most mild symptoms, and be back to normal within a week.

There's our two experiences.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
It was only yesterday at work that we were all notified that someone tested positive for COVID and today there's a dozen people jammed into a conference room having lunch together. It seems like a bad idea to me.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

Xombie posted:

Yeah, we don't shut down society every winter for the flu, and that kills tens of thousands in a bad year, as well as sometimes causing lasting damage.

I'm not anti-lockdown. They made sense at many times in 2020-2021. But the point of all of that was getting to the finish line and developing an effective vaccine. We've done that. This idea that we're supposed to indefinitely keep restaurants closed or mask forever is bizarre.There are certainly some things that I hope become a norm, like N95s on places like planes and public transit in winter.

Tiny Timbs posted:

This take is so completely divorced from reality I have to wonder what orifice it was pulled from. Participation in social, dining and entertainment activities during the pandemic has not been limited by class or representative of class and I challenge you to come up with anything that shows it.

Yeah I've noticed this scolding insinuation that in person social interaction is some kind of decadent luxury pop up in places, which is loving absurd. Socialization is something known unambiguously to hugely important to mental health, happiness, etc. But people act like you're Marie Antoinette for valuing hanging out with friends.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Fill Baptismal posted:

Yeah I've noticed this scolding insinuation that in person social interaction is some kind of decadent luxury pop up in places, which is loving absurd. Socialization is something known unambiguously to hugely important to mental health, happiness, etc. But people act like you're Marie Antoinette for valuing hanging out with friends.

Further proven by the fact that the highest spread rate throughout the pandemic has been among underprivileged people, across all facets of society. It's up for debate what exactly is the root reason for that, but it is also tangential to the point: that it is very very clear that the thing they all have in common is that they did not stop socializing with people, and it wasn't over suburban brunch mimosas.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Tiny Timbs posted:

Seriously, working class people have been going to bars and restaurants since time immemorial. They may not go as frequently, or to more expensive places, but come on do you think everyone who goes to cheap dive bars or some cheap chain restaurant once in a while is well off?

Like there's a valid criticism of when it's a safe enough time to start doing so again but casting it as only rich people go to bars or restaurants is some real bizarre stuff.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 5, 2022

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Xombie posted:

Further proven by the fact that the highest spread rate throughout the pandemic has been among underprivileged people, across all facets of society. It's up for debate what exactly is the root reason for that, but it is also tangential to the point: that it is very very clear that the thing they all have in common is that they did not stop socializing with people, and it wasn't over suburban brunch mimosas.

Lin Manuel Miranda posted:

See, I never thought I'd live past twenty
Where I come from, some get half as many
Ask anybody why we livin' fast and we laugh, reach for a flask
We have to make this moment last, that's plenty

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Oh no

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
im going to ban you for posting cringe

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's not my fault that LMM is, from time to time, capable of genuine insight. :colbert:

(Maybe it is my fault that I know Hamilton well enough for the line to have come to mind, but, well, ain't apologizing for likin' the showtunes.)

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Xombie posted:

while i get the point you are arguing at large, masking in public is such an easy step to safeguard your health that it seems disproportionate to object to it

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
~50% never leave the ICU where it happens~

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Xombie posted:

You're not recommending someone cut down on red meat and alcohol

And I'm not doing those either tyvm

Tiny Timbs posted:

I think this is the guy who genuinely believes that the only reason people dine out is to experience the sick thrill of having somebody "serve" them

A big flaming stink posted:

while i get the point you are arguing at large, masking in public is such an easy step to safeguard your health that it seems disproportionate to object to it

I don't really want to be carrying phone, keys, wallet and mask everywhere I go for the rest of my life. On a plane sure, or on the train during flu season if I've got the sniffles, but retail or the grocery store... eh. I still do it now even though it's not mandatory where I am, because we're only at the end of the beginning and it's not that much of a bother, but I can't see it becoming a permanent change that everyone still accepts in, say, the year 2050. (I'm also quite often the only person at the grocery store or whatever still choosing to wear a mask, but I've never once had anyone give me poo poo or even look at me funny, which strikes me as a pretty key difference to what I understand much of the US is like).

Anyway have a lol at this from the local paper yesterday:

https://twitter.com/sophieelsworth/status/1511191805907599364

Babies apparently spend 100% of their time in hospitals, trains, aged care homes and airports, which are the only places in Victoria masks are mandatory anymore.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

freebooter posted:

I think this is the guy who genuinely believes that the only reason people dine out is to experience the sick thrill of having somebody "serve" them

I’ve seen the “people only go to restaurants so they can abuse waitstaff” thing sincerely from a few posters and it never stops weirding me out. It’s like an alien trying out opinions as an experiment.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

freebooter posted:

(I'm also quite often the only person at the grocery store or whatever still choosing to wear a mask, but I've never once had anyone give me poo poo or even look at me funny, which strikes me as a pretty key difference to what I understand much of the US is like).

Yeah, I figure I'll keep wearing 'em in stores until none of the employees are anymore.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

In Virginia I’ve really only had one lady give me poo poo for wearing a mask and she scurried away before I registered what was happening. I think most people just assume you have a medical condition.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I think most people don't even give it any thought.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Zarin posted:

Yeah, I figure I'll keep wearing 'em in stores until none of the employees are anymore.

I'm well past that, most places around here the employees don't either. And I can't really blame them at this stage of the pandemic - it's one thing to say a mask is no big deal when you're a customer popping in for ten minutes, it's another to be wearing one for 8-10 hours straight.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Tiny Timbs posted:

I’ve seen the “people only go to restaurants so they can abuse waitstaff” thing sincerely from a few posters and it never stops weirding me out. It’s like an alien trying out opinions as an experiment.

I think that's definitely true of a very small and very loud portion of restaurant goers

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Tiny Timbs posted:

Some people are bitter that they can’t afford restaurants and magnify every social media example of bad behavior to ignore the 99.9% of visits where people just eat tasty food they didn’t have to cook.

It’s contrarianism masked in caring.

Anyhoo, I’ve reached a good sample set of about ~100 Omicron breakthroughs where I haven’t seen the same neurologic or pulmonary Long COVID effects as Delta. The unvaxxed keep popping up as weird TIA / permanent dialysis / healthy-vegan-5-day-inpatient-stay, but they’re all before December.

My most common post-COVID conversation for my vaccinated folks is “I had it a few months ago, I was surprised I tested positive at home, took 5 days off and no problems since.”

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Tiny Timbs posted:

In Virginia I’ve really only had one lady give me poo poo for wearing a mask and she scurried away before I registered what was happening. I think most people just assume you have a medical condition.

In Los Angeles nobody gives any poo poo because we're all still wearing them.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
With a few exceptions such as airplanes, hospitals , I kinda think anyone with extremely strong opinions in either direction on mask mandates at this point has kinda lost the plot a little.

A indifferently enforced mask “mandate” that an incorrectly worn cloth mask satisfies (which is most of them) is an extremely minimal imposition. It’s also likely not doing that much good. I can’t bring myself to care that much about it in either direction.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
I think at this point trying to fight the tide on other people wearing masks is a losing battle. Assume you have zero protection via source control and wear whatever you need to protect yourself.

Had a fun experience at the pharmacy today as the unmasked pharmacist explained how my (heavy) immunosuppressants worked.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

enki42 posted:

I think at this point trying to fight the tide on other people wearing masks is a losing battle. Assume you have zero protection via source control and wear whatever you need to protect yourself.

Had a fun experience at the pharmacy today as the unmasked pharmacist explained how my (heavy) immunosuppressants worked.

That's hosed. People in medical professions should know better.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

freebooter posted:

Anyway have a lol at this from the local paper yesterday:

https://twitter.com/sophieelsworth/status/1511191805907599364

Babies apparently spend 100% of their time in hospitals, trains, aged care homes and airports, which are the only places in Victoria masks are mandatory anymore.

I mean...living in a country that has had a outdoor mask mandate since Jan 2020, my kid couldn't recognize people in masks until the past week (at 8 months.) It was an issue being out sometimes and them getting scared because they felt alone, more than just regular baby jitters. I think it would take a much longer-term study to see if the babies born during the pandemic are more likely to suffer from facial blindness or whatever because they saw less face compared to pre-pandemic babies.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

GoutPatrol posted:

I mean...living in a country that has had a outdoor mask mandate since Jan 2020

Which country did this? Somewhere in Asia?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

How are u posted:

Well that's the thing about anecdotes, isn't it? I've spent the pandemic watching my friends and coworkers either a) not get covid at all or b) get covid and experience the most mild symptoms, and be back to normal within a week.

There's our two experiences.

What's the thing about anecdotes?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Everyone has one and they all stink

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Tiny Timbs posted:

Everyone has one and they all stink

Lol.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

The Ferret King posted:

What's the thing about anecdotes?

They can shape your perception of a situation based on a variety of factors, known and unknown to you, and should not supplant actual data

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Riptor posted:

They can shape your perception of a situation based on a variety of factors, known and unknown to you, and should not supplant actual data

Oh that's fine then. I'm just expressing a personal story. I'm not a researcher.

Just seems like a weird thing to reply to someone sharing their experiences is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

The Ferret King posted:

Oh that's fine then. I'm just expressing a personal story. I'm not a researcher.

Just seems like a weird thing to reply to someone sharing their experiences is all.

Some people’s quality of life is seriously diminished but that gets balanced out by the fact that other people are okay. Not suffering personal consequences is an equally valid experience we must consider. In fact, it’s decently over the magical 50% line where we get to say “most” authoritatively, like so: “most people in drunk-driving accidents don’t even go to the hospital!”