Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Is there seriously no way to update a gigabyte monitor using a Mac? I won’t want to have to find someone with a windows laptop to update this dumb thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
counterpoint do you really need to

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

M32U for $600: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083GRVFXN (this discount is also at best buy and newegg) (review)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Apr 3, 2022

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

M32U for $600: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083GRVFXN (this discount is also at best buy and newegg) (review)

For what it's worth goons I'm very happy with mine, use it for office work and gaming. I turn the hdr on for games and it makes a difference.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

How is this so freaking cheap?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

How is this so freaking cheap?

I’m not sure, but gigabyte has been very aggressive with both MSRPs and discounts of its monitors.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

cage-free egghead posted:

I bought a light bar that clips to the top of my monitor and illuminates my workspace. Has a couple warm or cool settings and a sensor for brightness. Has definitely helped reduce strain from just using bad overhead lights.

What did you buy?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I bought the Gigabyte M32U a week ago for $739 so you bet I’m going to go get the difference back and buy another.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

K8.0 posted:

Different resolutions and refresh rates is entirely fine. There are issues where if you have the second screen updating (most noticeable with video) the primary screen will get delayed refreshes to sync up with it, but MS has done a bunch to fix the issue.

What games are you playing? Do you plan on upgrading your system any time soon? It's really hard to recommend anything short of a 1440p high refresh VRR monitor for gaming at this point, but if you're playing relatively demanding games and/or don't expect you can/will get a GPU in the near-ish future, maybe 1080p VRR makes sense for you. The other thing is, you may be able to get a really cheap used 1080p 60hz monitor if you want to keep things on a budget until you can justify a beefier GPU and a better monitor.

Right now I'm playing lots of indie survival games like Project Zomboid, 7DTD, Green Hell, DayZ and Scum, but I also dip in and out on Milsims and the like, mainly Squad, ArmA and Tarkov. Also into building and crafting stuff like Space Engineers. Considering also trying out War of Rights. Debated getting into DCS also, but knowing myself if that clicks I'll be going down an expensive rabbit hole of gear for it, lol

The most "Triple A" I've got into was RDR and Cyberpunk 2077.

Yeah I just wonder what my timing should be like for upgrades. I only just built this PC two years ago from scratch, and I'm not particularly thirsty for better graphics (much prefer good FPS and stability) since this is my first PC in over 15yrs my current graphics are still pretty novel.

I just wonder if I should get a super cheap 1080p monitor now, then check in again next year if I want to up it to 1440p with either a new GPU and/or monitors. I just don't feel right now I'm missing out on 1440p enough to upgrade after 2 years given what I play. Thoughts?

edit: sorry I saw that other post. Would it be feasible to buy a 1440p monitor and use my current 1080p monitor as a non gaming second monitor for browser, maps and such? That sounds like an ideal solution so then my next upgrade say, in a year wouldn't need to buy two new monitors at once.

Oysters Autobio fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 3, 2022

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

wow this rules. THANKS

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

fighting evil by moonlight
winning love by daylight

I'm currently using a ASUS PG279Q from... 2016? 2017? I think. I was curious if there was anything worth upgrading too. I'd be interested in a larger size, a higher resolution, and better colors (maybe HDR!?). Is it worth upgrading yet, or should I wait for the arrival of OLED monitors?

If I'm completely honest, I don't think I really use the 144hz that much and don't notice it because I'm getting Old. :(

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

sailormoon posted:

I'm currently using a ASUS PG279Q from... 2016? 2017? I think. I was curious if there was anything worth upgrading too. I'd be interested in a larger size, a higher resolution, and better colors (maybe HDR!?). Is it worth upgrading yet, or should I wait for the arrival of OLED monitors?

If I'm completely honest, I don't think I really use the 144hz that much and don't notice it because I'm getting Old. :(

Do you have your refresh rate set to 144hz in GPU settings? I find it hard to believe you wouldn't notice the difference between 60 and 144.

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

fighting evil by moonlight
winning love by daylight

TheDK posted:

Do you have your refresh rate set to 144hz in GPU settings? I find it hard to believe you wouldn't notice the difference between 60 and 144.

Okay, you're actually totally right. I just lowered my monitor's FPS down to 60 and I definitely notice it. It's really funny because I don't think I noticed the jump up to 144hz as much as I notice the drop to 60hz now.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Yup that’s the high frame rate curse.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

sailormoon posted:

To more directly answer your question, yes there are better monitors now. However, if I was in your position I'd probably wait another year or two to update. We're seeing exciting developments in monitors, like actually good 4k monitors at not insane prices, QD-OLED maybe finally saving us from some parts of LCD hell, VA panels that are actually worth a drat, etc.

Oysters Autobio posted:

Right now I'm playing lots of indie survival games like Project Zomboid, 7DTD, Green Hell, DayZ and Scum, but I also dip in and out on Milsims and the like, mainly Squad, ArmA and Tarkov. Also into building and crafting stuff like Space Engineers. Considering also trying out War of Rights. Debated getting into DCS also, but knowing myself if that clicks I'll be going down an expensive rabbit hole of gear for it, lol

The most "Triple A" I've got into was RDR and Cyberpunk 2077.

Yeah I just wonder what my timing should be like for upgrades. I only just built this PC two years ago from scratch, and I'm not particularly thirsty for better graphics (much prefer good FPS and stability) since this is my first PC in over 15yrs my current graphics are still pretty novel.

I just wonder if I should get a super cheap 1080p monitor now, then check in again next year if I want to up it to 1440p with either a new GPU and/or monitors. I just don't feel right now I'm missing out on 1440p enough to upgrade after 2 years given what I play. Thoughts?

edit: sorry I saw that other post. Would it be feasible to buy a 1440p monitor and use my current 1080p monitor as a non gaming second monitor for browser, maps and such? That sounds like an ideal solution so then my next upgrade say, in a year wouldn't need to buy two new monitors at once.

Any of that would be fine. If you don't want to be sinking tons of money on a regular basis, you probably don't need to rush to 4k vs 1440p. The way most modern graphics settings work, you can get a lot more FPS without giving up a huge amount of image quality, which is nice for your tastes. So whether you want to buy a 1440p monitor now and either play some more demanding games on your 1080p monitor until you buy a new GPU, or just wait and buy one in a year when you buy a new GPU, you'll be fine. Don't worry about buying multiple monitors at once. Most people are perfectly happy to have an older secondary monitor, especially on a budget.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 3, 2022

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Ironically, I think 4K is a better idea if you mostly play old or indie games than it is if you mostly play new, graphically intensive ones. After all, you don’t need a great GPU to play Slay the Spire or Dead Cells, even at a high resolution.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Wibla posted:

What did you buy?

Something I wouldn't have paid my own money for

https://www.amazon.com/BenQ-ScreenBar-Auto-Dimming-Adjustment-ScreenBar_Black/dp/B076VNFZJG

Would have gotten a much cheaper one if work didn't pay for it.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

For all the discussion on macs and cables: indeed a usb c to display port 1.4 cable was the required and necessary thing to get 4k 144hz working with an M1 Mac. Regular full bandwidth usb c cable specifically noted to be DP Alt Mode capable could only do 48-60hz.

And with the gigabyte 32”er on sale I ordered another. Who needs money anyways.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Ultimate Mango posted:

For all the discussion on macs and cables: indeed a usb c to display port 1.4 cable was the required and necessary thing to get 4k 144hz working with an M1 Mac. Regular full bandwidth usb c cable specifically noted to be DP Alt Mode capable could only do 48-60hz.

And with the gigabyte 32”er on sale I ordered another. Who needs money anyways.
What’s the use case for dual 32” 4K monitors? Not criticizing, just reassessing my setup.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

What’s the use case for dual 32” 4K monitors? Not criticizing, just reassessing my setup.

Work computer. Home computer. Gotta keep ‘em separated. I had a 27” 2015 iMac and an old dell 27” monitor from maybe 2012?

IMac is starting to have its screen go bad again. Basically the lcd is getting slower and slower to twist so lots of image retention. So I’ve been looking to replace that. I ordered a Mac studio when they cancelled the 27” iMac and figured I would figure out a monitor.

And I just changed jobs, got a nice new 16” MacBook Pro and wanted a nicer newer monitor. So I got the Gigabyte, finally figured out that my old dock and old cables were the limiting factor and now it works great.

And since the gigabyte went on sale, I ordered a second to go with the new studio. Yes, I know there is a kvm on these new monitors. I still like swivel chairing. I just couldn’t bring myself to spend more on one new apple studio display than I will on the two new 32” 4K gigabytes.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Ultimate Mango posted:

Work computer. Home computer. Gotta keep ‘em separated. I had a 27” 2015 iMac and an old dell 27” monitor from maybe 2012?

IMac is starting to have its screen go bad again. Basically the lcd is getting slower and slower to twist so lots of image retention. So I’ve been looking to replace that. I ordered a Mac studio when they cancelled the 27” iMac and figured I would figure out a monitor.

And I just changed jobs, got a nice new 16” MacBook Pro and wanted a nicer newer monitor. So I got the Gigabyte, finally figured out that my old dock and old cables were the limiting factor and now it works great.

And since the gigabyte went on sale, I ordered a second to go with the new studio. Yes, I know there is a kvm on these new monitors. I still like swivel chairing. I just couldn’t bring myself to spend more on one new apple studio display than I will on the two new 32” 4K gigabytes.
Do you have an L desk? I just went from separate work and home setups, each with dual monitors, to a single dual monitor setup because people said (rightly so) it was silly to have 4 monitors across 2 side by side desks.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

Do you have an L desk? I just went from separate work and home setups, each with dual monitors, to a single dual monitor setup because people said (rightly so) it was silly to have 4 monitors across 2 side by side desks.

I do have an L shaped desk. The part with the hutch/credenza is by the wall and just a flat desk sits out into the room where the iMac is today. I installed bias lighting on the new monitor that has the black hutch thing behind/above it, and it does make a difference.

So yes, I swivel back and forth 90 degrees. I also have three lights, one on the outside of each monitor and one between them so I can have two lights on (left and right) for zoom meetings from either computer. I also have two of the same keyboard (CODE with clears), two of the same webcam, etc, etc.

It is a totally dumb way of doing things and I do not at all recommend it. But it is perfect for me.

I’m also a lefty, so I am set up for two left handed mice. Nobody else who sits at my desk even knows what to do, so again, perfect.

Edit: I thought about dual monitors at each spot and then I was thinking ultrawide then someone here posted about ultrawides just being 4k monitors trimmed at the top, and now I have two 32” 4k monitors. I can’t imagine two of them. But I could picture putting a 42” OLED TV on a big swingarm and becoming a full grognard.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I’ve been running three X27q’s for the last few days and while the setup is really cool, they might all be going back.

I originally ordered 2 and the third is a replacement because 1 of the 2 didn’t autoswitch inputs properly and sometimes wouldn’t go to sleep. Even after disabling low power DP as well as DDC/CI, it still happens periodically with the 2 monitors connected via DP (the one connected via HDMI is fine).

I don’t know if this is a bad DP implementation by HP or something is wrong with my Gigabyte WindForce OC 970, but it seems more likely to be the former, which is a shame because the X27q seemed like a good value at $235.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Apr 5, 2022

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

Josh Lyman posted:

I’ve been running three X27q’s for the last few days and while the setup is really cool, they might all be going back.

I originally ordered 2 and the third is a replacement because 1 of the 2 didn’t autoswitch inputs properly and sometimes wouldn’t go to sleep. Even after disabling low power DP as well as DDC/CI, it still happens periodically with the 2 monitors connected via DP (the one connected via HDMI is fine).

I don’t know if this is a bad DP implementation by HP or something is wrong with my Gigabyte WindForce OC 970, but it seems more likely to be the former, which is a shame because the X27q seemed like a good value at $235.
Have you run https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/nv-uefi-update-x64/ ?

E: Also there's these updates: https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N970WF3OC-4GD-rev-10-11/support#support-dl-bios

Kivi fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Apr 5, 2022

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

That is a very good EU price. Price in Finland is 1099€. Price from Amazon.com with shipping & taxes is 775€. Not bad at all... I'd save 300€. I have a 165HZ 31,5" 2560x1440 VA from Dell, maybe I should upgrade. 4K is so intresting and I think it will take a while for QD-OLED 4k's to arrive.

Edit: welp it's IPS, not VA. My bad.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Apr 5, 2022

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The UEFI update wouldn't process even though the tool said my card was eligible. As for the BIOS update, I looked into this over the weekend and my firmware series (FF1) isn't listed even though my Nvidia firmware version is slightly older than updates available. I emailed Gigabyte tech support about this but lmao if they get back to me.

You do bring up a good point, that there could be a compatibility issue with my 970 only having DP1.2 and the monitors supporting DP1.4. I've set them to run in DP1.2 mode so we'll see if they behave better over the next few days. If that fixes the problem, there's still the chance that DP1.4 is broken, but that would seem less likely than a DP1.2/1.4 compatibility issue. Apparently the 900 series had issues with DP handshake: https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/3vjq6r/comment/cyvjo97/

The monitors are already behaving differently in DP1.2 mode. If I turn off the monitor, Win10 will rearrange the desktop whereas before, it would pretend like it's still there and I could mouse into the off monitor. Is that how it's supposed to work? When I turn off the monitor connected via HDMI, I can still mouse into it. I do plan to build a new desktop when the next Ryzen/GeForce are released, but who knows when that will happen and whether the crypto bots will snatch up everything.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Apr 5, 2022

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I really wanted the M32U but it was almost twice as much as the M27Q I got. Which is still a beautiful monitor. I'm not quite sure what HDR is supposed to do but it just seems to make the screen brighter and the colors pop just a little more. Is there more to it?

Also the KVM feature is absolutely awesome, was able to get my Macbook and desktop on all the same devices at my desk. Glad I didn't have to resort doing some sort of remote software because I much prefer the separation of the two.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'm now at the point where I'm going to buy a USB switch because the M32U implementation is killing me. My keyboard doesn't get recognized 20% of the time and doesn't work at all until you re-kvm again, another 5% of the time my mouse and keyboard get power but the clicks and keyboard inputs somehow do random poo poo instead of what they're supposed to (like left click will open a new tab). Keyboard is a ducky shine 5 with no software tie-in so I dunno what's going on there.

Because the KVM won't switch to a sleeping PC, I have to reach over and press a button on my Xbox controller (attached to my PC) to wake my home PC so I can KVM over to it.

I'm still happy with the monitor and I'll use the KVM button as a monitor switch between my PC and work laptop but I think I'm pretty done with dealing with the USB issues. I know this is all windows issues not the monitor but I can't handle it anymore.

Also after turning hdr on and playing something, and tabbing out, the HDR sometimes turns off after the monitor goes black for a second or two. This also happens sometimes after I turn HDR off, the monitor turns off momentarily to make that change, then comes back, then goes dark again, then comes back.

I don't think any of these are RMA issues, this is just windows dealing with the weird situation. Anyone have similar headaches? Is it resolved by having the gigabyte software thing installed?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

cage-free egghead posted:

I really wanted the M32U but it was almost twice as much as the M27Q I got. Which is still a beautiful monitor. I'm not quite sure what HDR is supposed to do but it just seems to make the screen brighter and the colors pop just a little more. Is there more to it?

Also the KVM feature is absolutely awesome, was able to get my Macbook and desktop on all the same devices at my desk. Glad I didn't have to resort doing some sort of remote software because I much prefer the separation of the two.

HDR when it's implemented well is meant to enhance contrast and have more dynamic brightness (hence the name, "high dynamic range"). This means darker blacks than you'd ordinarily get as well as brighter brights. The HDR spec also utilizes a wider color space. The M27Q does not implement it well, though. And neither does the M32U, for that matter. The main draw for the M32U is the fact that it's a high-refresh 4K monitor. There aren't many of those around, and at $600, it's the cheapest a 32" one has ever been.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
I just got a USB-C 4K monitor (HP z27k g3) and the OSD says I can either have 60 Hz and USB2.0 ports or 30 Hz and USB 3.0 port speed. I've never seen anyone mention this as a limitation (in fact this monitor got a comparative bullet point of having all USB3 ports vs. some other dell) but this smells of a USB-C bandwidth limitation that every monitor is going to hit. Is that the case or did HP just screw me and I should've gotten a dell?

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

MrBond posted:

I just got a USB-C 4K monitor (HP z27k g3) and the OSD says I can either have 60 Hz and USB2.0 ports or 30 Hz and USB 3.0 port speed. I've never seen anyone mention this as a limitation (in fact this monitor got a comparative bullet point of having all USB3 ports vs. some other dell) but this smells of a USB-C bandwidth limitation that every monitor is going to hit. Is that the case or did HP just screw me and I should've gotten a dell?
My Eve Spectrum also does this. It's a bandwidth limitation.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The way around this would be to have a second uplink connection, though that obviously eliminates the convenience of a one-cable solution.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
People consistently underestimate the amount of bandwidth it takes to send a video signal. A plain old 4k 60hz 8 bit per channel video signal is ~15gbit/sec. That's about half of a PCI-E 3.0 X4 slot, or about the same as PCI-E 4.0 X1 link. 120hz doubles that, 144hz multiplies it by 2.4. It's asking an awful lot to stuff those kind of signals, plus power delivery, plus a few gigabits a second of other data, through one thin little cable.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Since the big OLED TVs are not that suitable for office computing and the reasonable sized OLED monitors (32'') are holy hell expensive, I've been eyeing https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/dell-ultrasharp-32-4k-usb-c-hub-monitor-u3223qe/apd/210-bdph/monitors-monitor-accessories for when it goes on sale (they tend to do every now and then, though presumably it would still be above $1000CAD).
What does the thread think of it?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Volguus posted:

Since the big OLED TVs are not that suitable for office computing and the reasonable sized OLED monitors (32'') are holy hell expensive, I've been eyeing https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/dell-ultrasharp-32-4k-usb-c-hub-monitor-u3223qe/apd/210-bdph/monitors-monitor-accessories for when it goes on sale (they tend to do every now and then, though presumably it would still be above $1000CAD).
What does the thread think of it?

Seems like the most expensive way to get 4k60hz? Don't they make 4k60 panels for less than half that price? What's special about this, something to do with colourspace or contrast?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

K8.0 posted:

People consistently underestimate the amount of bandwidth it takes to send a video signal. A plain old 4k 60hz 8 bit per channel video signal is ~15gbit/sec. That's about half of a PCI-E 3.0 X4 slot, or about the same as PCI-E 4.0 X1 link. 120hz doubles that, 144hz multiplies it by 2.4. It's asking an awful lot to stuff those kind of signals, plus power delivery, plus a few gigabits a second of other data, through one thin little cable.

So what you're saying is we need fat cables!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Splinter posted:

So what you're saying is we need fat cables!

Man what we really need is some HUGE cables around here, like gigantic, absolute monster cables.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

Seems like the most expensive way to get 4k60hz? Don't they make 4k60 panels for less than half that price? What's special about this, something to do with colourspace or contrast?

What I'm hoping for (and I emphasize "hoping") would be to take advantage of better quality panel, better color reproduction, the DP-chaining, built-in KVM. Kinda ... yeah, that'd be it. It'd be sitting on an arm, as the primary monitor in a 2 monitor setup.I have right now LG 32UD99-W that I'm fairly happy with, but the successors have had some not so good reviews and the UltraFine line is just $300 cheaper than this one full price.
So ... dunno.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Volguus posted:

What I'm hoping for (and I emphasize "hoping") would be to take advantage of better quality panel, better color reproduction, the DP-chaining, built-in KVM. Kinda ... yeah, that'd be it. It'd be sitting on an arm, as the primary monitor in a 2 monitor setup.I have right now LG 32UD99-W that I'm fairly happy with, but the successors have had some not so good reviews and the UltraFine line is just $300 cheaper than this one full price.
So ... dunno.

Granted colourspace and daisy chaining might be better with the dell but I'd take a long look at the M32U for $600 instead. Or two of them for less than the MSRP of that dell one. If you really need a certain colourspace I guess your hands are tied though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

I'm now at the point where I'm going to buy a USB switch because the M32U implementation is killing me. My keyboard doesn't get recognized 20% of the time and doesn't work at all until you re-kvm again, another 5% of the time my mouse and keyboard get power but the clicks and keyboard inputs somehow do random poo poo instead of what they're supposed to (like left click will open a new tab). Keyboard is a ducky shine 5 with no software tie-in so I dunno what's going on there.

Because the KVM won't switch to a sleeping PC, I have to reach over and press a button on my Xbox controller (attached to my PC) to wake my home PC so I can KVM over to it.

I'm still happy with the monitor and I'll use the KVM button as a monitor switch between my PC and work laptop but I think I'm pretty done with dealing with the USB issues. I know this is all windows issues not the monitor but I can't handle it anymore.

Also after turning hdr on and playing something, and tabbing out, the HDR sometimes turns off after the monitor goes black for a second or two. This also happens sometimes after I turn HDR off, the monitor turns off momentarily to make that change, then comes back, then goes dark again, then comes back.

I don't think any of these are RMA issues, this is just windows dealing with the weird situation. Anyone have similar headaches? Is it resolved by having the gigabyte software thing installed?

im like inches from buying this monitor but if the kvm doesnt work for poo poo then.... ???