Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/j1eKxGx.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Scratch Monkey posted:

WHO COULD HAVE FORESEEN THIS ENDING?!

I super saw it coming and I'm an idiot. I can only assume he wanted to get burned.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Ha ha poo poo I just realized on the 20th time watching this today that the cutters got welded to the wire.

quick question: if that's a 120VAC line on a 20A breaker does that mean homeboy just enjoyed 2400 watts of electrobody massage?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

drat, he got vaporized!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

quick question: if that's a 120VAC line on a 20A breaker does that mean homeboy just enjoyed 2400 watts of electrobody massage?

For a moment, yes. Contact was broken so fast he didn’t receive nearly as many joules as that would imply

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

He was not in the circuit. Other than the molten copper moneyshot and his unplanned departure from the ladder he is fine. The wire cutters were not so lucky...

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Shout out to the steady hands of the guy filming

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

For measuring resistive loads on AC circuits, you have to use the root mean square of the AC voltage. So it would actually be about 1697 W ( (120 VAC / √2) * 20 A ) of power.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
One of the benefits of single phase 120V is the neutral wire is a ground so a short has a pretty happy path to ground if you just yolo it. An noncommittal pecking at individual wires stands to do you worse.

An intrepid wire stealer will quickly get comfortable adding new terminations for his unplanned disassembly of some buildings copper supply until an unfortunate graduation to 240V or 3 phase set ups which do not ground so gently.

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013
My favorite part of that video is burgundy sweatshirt guy briefing looking down at his coworker who just got the poo poo shocked out of him and fell off a ladder, doing nothing, then looking back up at the wire snips.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Captain Hygiene posted:

What, he had a spotter for his ladder

"Yup, I sure spotted that you got your dumb rear end electrocuted."

iroc.dis posted:

My favorite part of that video is burgundy sweatshirt guy briefing looking down at his coworker who just got the poo poo shocked out of him and fell off a ladder, doing nothing, then looking back up at the wire snips.

I'm honestly getting some serious "Old boomer boss refused to listen to anyone else and has now received the stupid prize everyone told him he'd win." energy from that exchange.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Edward IV posted:

For measuring resistive loads on AC circuits, you have to use the root mean square of the AC voltage. So it would actually be about 1697 W ( (120 VAC / √2) * 20 A ) of power.

The 120 Vac in American systems already is rms. Peak value is around 169 V.
For that matter, AC voltage in power systems is typically specified that way, is it not?

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 5, 2022

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

By popular demand posted:

What is it they're lifting, an Olympic grade dildo?

If you're brave enough.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

How and gently caress this for never getting crushed.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

I unload oil trains at a refinery. Union Pacific is the railroad that delivers our oil trains to us. Our railyard have pipe valves, hoses, and drip pans at every spot, each a railcars length apart. UP is supposed to line the tank cars up correctly so they match the pipe valves and drip pans.. They didn't this morning. They spotted one of our trains so inaccurately that I had to drag the drip pans a hundred miles from beneath the wheel trucks to beneath the center of the railcar. But if the drip pans were that far off, that means the pipe valves were too. They were so inaccurate that the hoses wouldn't reach, so I had to haul three spare hoses all the way from the storage closet to the far end of the tracks. That took 45 minutes.

MALICIOUS COMPLIANCE:
FRA (federal railroad administration) law requires that we set the handbrake on every railcar, but we don't. UP puts the handbrakes on the first and last and we just leave them like that because we're relatively lax over here, and I was told that UP hates having do undo every single handbrake. I think you can already guess what I did. I mean, I'm supposed to, right?

Uh, thanks, but I wish you would annoy Uncle Pete every time.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

If it's safe for an egg it's safe for your balls

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

sigher posted:

life finds a way

insta
Jan 28, 2009

haveblue posted:

For a moment, yes. Contact was broken so fast he didn’t receive nearly as many joules as that would imply

That was also a near-zero ohm load. That's a few hundred amps there, not 20. It wasn't the breaker's thermal trip but the magnetic one that stopped that.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Why, this industrial grinder is no more dangerous than a golden retriever's mouth!

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I watched my dad do this when I was 8 years old or so. There’s still a pair of needlenose pliers in his toolbox with a “bite” taken out of them from where the wire arced.
I did similar last week. Confirmed power was off at the switch. Snipped the wire and … UPS in the other room started to complain. Somehow touching the neutral was enough to trip the RCD for that circuit? NZ wiring. The neutral and ground remain connected with the light switch off. Afterwards I checked the three wires and none showed a ground fault so I can’t determine what caused it.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/hJ8RC7m.mp4

This looks like a fun thing to do…
:stare:

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

TotalLossBrain posted:

For that matter, AC voltage in power systems is typically specified that way, is it not?

That aside, can we truly consider a human body to be a purely resistive load? I think we need an equivalent circuit diagram.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Cartoon Man posted:

https://i.imgur.com/hJ8RC7m.mp4

This looks like a fun thing to do…
:stare:

You're supposed to jump up and slap one of the wheels, those guys ducking are cowards.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Scratch Monkey posted:

WHO COULD HAVE FORESEEN THIS ENDING?!

I didn't.

I was expecting him to intentionally jump and end up in the fire.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The chart saying "approach" doesn't mean you should walk right up to it

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

sigher posted:

Run the blades in reverse, record, reverse footage for internet.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

TotalLossBrain posted:

Confusing but convenient I guess since nominal voltage is more useful to the layman. That said, AC is really loving weird when my general understanding of electricity and circuits up until undergrad is DC and analogous to the flow of water. My mind was blown when we covered AC during the introductory EE class.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
What IS electricity though

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Waste of Breath posted:

The truth will shock you

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Ror posted:

You're supposed to jump up and slap one of the wheels, those guys ducking are cowards.

they can't legally hit you with the plane, it's like pirates of the caribbean ride, it's not actually dangerous.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

LifeSunDeath posted:

they can't legally hit you with the plane, it's like pirates of the caribbean ride, it's not actually dangerous.

yeah the wheels are rubber and everything

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

LifeSunDeath posted:

I've seen (what I believed to be) real footage of people walking into propellers or being turned into meat clouds by jet engines, but the thing that always come to mind is :nws: that scene from Catch-22.:nws:

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Fools Infinite posted:

I've seen (what I believed to be) real footage of people walking into propellers or being turned into meat clouds by jet engines, but the thing that always come to mind is :nws: that scene from Catch-22.:nws:

Raider of the Lost Ark, Mechanic 0 - Indiana Jones 1 (with an assist).

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Waste of Breath posted:

There's a bad explanation, a less bad explanation, and a really confusing explanation.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

wiegieman posted:

There's a bad explanation, a less bad explanation, and a really confusing explanation.

Good, makes me feel less bad for realizing my brain has dumped all of physics 2 (electromagnetism) in the shredder.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
this has a lot of potential...

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Mozi posted:

this has a lot of potential...

It probably belongs in a current events thread somewhere.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

sigher posted:

eggs are really loving cool, there's a lot we still have to learn from them.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Horrible clickbait, but also a huge beautiful pit with no support.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cb1z-aqA5Ec/?utm_medium=copy_link

I have absolutely no idea what they just pulled out of that hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Waste of Breath posted:

It's yellow, I know that much.