Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I feel like the individual compressors probably already have their own internal check valves? I don't have any experience with air systems, but I'd be mildly surprised if they didn't, since then the air would leak out when the motor is off.

Check-valve-like behavior seems inherent in a piston compressor.

ryanrs fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I had dual compressors for my blaster for a while, it worked but kind of a PITA because they each needed to be on their own 15a circuit plus the dust extractor also needed its own because it was too much to share with either compressor. Lot of extension cords.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ryanrs posted:

I feel like the individual compressors probably already have their own internal check valves? I don't have any experience with air systems, but I'd be mildly surprised if they didn't, since then the air would leak out then the motor is off.

They have reed valves in the head but that might not prevent them from “fighting” each other if they’re both running.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

But isn't fighting a 2nd compressor equivalent to fighting e.g. the static pressure inside a tank?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Safety Dance posted:

As for the drain, I doubt it got drained more than once a week. That's probably sufficient for home shop use.
If you drain it more than once a week, you're doing it more than 90% of the pros.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

PBCrunch posted:

It took me three trips to the hardware store for brass fittings and bits of pipe, but I got the automatic drain valve hooked up to my air compressor.

Of course it leaked like crazy when I turned the compressor back on because an o-ring was missing from a groove on the inside of the drain solenoid contraption. I put a green o-ring from my AC service parts in place and the valve works and does not leak.

The valve has two dials, one to change the purge duration 1-10 seconds and another dial to change the purge frequency from every 30 seconds to every 45 minutes. The top end of this range is way too much for my purposes and I don't want the compressor coming on in the middle of the night, so I set the duration to five seconds and the frequency to every 30 seconds and connected the whole thing to a Zigbee smart switch. The solenoid opens up immediately when plugged in. When Home Assistant detects occupancy in the garage via motion sensor, it will activate the purge valve every 30 minutes. It lets the smart switch stay on for 30 seconds and then turns it off again.

What I need to do next is figure out how to prevent the compressor from turning on at all when my daughter is sleeping. Her bedroom is directly above the garage. I'm thinking a relay on the circuit with the switch that disables the compressor motor.

If you've got it hooked up to a smart device, couldn't you use something like a cron job? Have it go off once a day at 6 pm. Or once a week on Mondays at 10 am when everyone is either working or at school.

Are you using it super heavily on a daily basis? If not, refilling it after draining it is probably a good chunk of all its use.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.
I acquired this Snap-on torque wrench from my father in law today.
The clicking feels like it's in generally the right range but it was sometimes slipping from forward to reverse when applying the torque.
I opened it up and noticed some of the teeth in the ratchet head had been chipped off. Is it possible to replace this part of the ratchet head and/or would I just be wasting money on this thing?

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Should be able to get the ratchet head parts from Snap-On in a rebuild kit. Or see if you can ship it in for a rebuild, and if they'll check the calibration. Looks like a very nice split-beam torque wrench though!

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

It is highly likely snapon will rebuild it or replace it for you.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

slidebite posted:

If you drain it more than once a week, you're doing it more than 90% of the pros.

Probably 99% unless you change once a week to ever.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Uncle Enzo posted:

If you've got it hooked up to a smart device, couldn't you use something like a cron job? Have it go off once a day at 6 pm. Or once a week on Mondays at 10 am when everyone is either working or at school.

Are you using it super heavily on a daily basis? If not, refilling it after draining it is probably a good chunk of all its use.

If you use a smart device, go for a reputable (read: expensive) one. I've had terrible luck with smart devices. My experience is that they run fine unattended for a few weeks or months, and then stop running altogether, or have bad behavior in the face of brownouts, daylight savings, cosmic rays, overflows, whatever. For something to perform a safety-critical task when you're not looking, you'd better be able to trust it.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

HolHorsejob posted:

If you use a smart device, go for a reputable (read: expensive) one. I've had terrible luck with smart devices. My experience is that they run fine unattended for a few weeks or months, and then stop running altogether, or have bad behavior in the face of brownouts, daylight savings, cosmic rays, overflows, whatever. For something to perform a safety-critical task when you're not looking, you'd better be able to trust it.

It's an air compressor, not the boiler at the Overlook Hotel. I was talking to someone about how I had a bunch of orange water come out the drain because I hadn't adjusted to the humidity in Atlanta, and he responded with a story about how a shop he used to work at thought their compressor was busted until someone thought to open the drain valve for the first time in years. They had gallons of water come out.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Reminds me of my parents air compressor. It's very small, almost only used for filling tires like 4 times a year. But I would drain the water after every use, a little bit would shoot out with air pressure behind it. Except that the tank is pretty round and they put the plug on a slight angle. After like ten years, I decided to, like, tilt the tank and about 1/2 cup of water just poured out of there.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

What’s a good creeper? My FIL killed my roto-moulded one and I’d like something that will last me a while - my last two creepers have both broken the casters out.

The one prior to this was steel and a friend broke that one. I’m really not sure how people keep killing my creepers but clearly I need something idiot proof.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
I've heard a lot of amazing things about the Bone Creepers, but have not had the time or cash to buy one.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

You can parallel multiple compressors without external check valves. I read it in a compressed air manual, maybe Atlas Copco's but not 100% on that being the source. I'll dig up the reference if you want, though.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Advent Horizon posted:

What’s a good creeper? My FIL killed my roto-moulded one and I’d like something that will last me a while - my last two creepers have both broken the casters out.

The one prior to this was steel and a friend broke that one. I’m really not sure how people keep killing my creepers but clearly I need something idiot proof.

Take metal plates, put longer screws in and screw those metal plates above and below the plastic. Will probably never break out again.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

taqueso posted:

You can parallel multiple compressors without external check valves. I read it in a compressed air manual, maybe Atlas Copco's but not 100% on that being the source. I'll dig up the reference if you want, though.
You can, but the issue is without the pressure switches being exactly the samethey won't be one will do most of the work.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Uncle Enzo posted:

I am not using it heavily on a daily basis, but when I am doing a lot of sand blasting the water needs to be drained pretty frequently to keep the coal slag from clumping and clogging. My setup absolutely hates any moisture when blasting. I also got one of those in-line dryers and the fittings to hot swap it into the air line as needed. The idea is that if I am in the garage, the valve opens for five seconds every half hour. If I am not in the garage it never opens. I am thinking that maybe the better idea is to set it up to drain once a day during waking hours and then have a switch in Home Assistant to activate a "high duty cycle" mode where for two hours the drain valve opens every 20 minutes. When the HDC timer is over, the once daily drain cycle resumes.

Advent Horizon posted:

I haven't assembled it yet, but I am making a creeper out of 3/4" plywood with 3/4 hardwood going around the perimeter. Then some EVA foam on top of everything for padding and easier cleanup. The casters are the 3" all-steel ones with big plates from the hardware store. Each one is rated for 300 pounds. The creeper is going to end up being kind of high, but I am willing to accept that if it ends up as strong and easy to roll around as I have planned. The caster plates will be mounted to the wooden assembly with 1/4-20 through bolts that go through the 3/4" plywood and the hardwood perimeter. Once I use it a couple of times I have some ideas for mounting tool trays and some other stuff to it.

HolHorsejob posted:

I've had very good results with Zigbee and Z-wave devices. I have a UPS on the computer that hosts the Zigbee and Z-wave coordinators, which I think goes a long way to aiding reliability. Z-wave gear is kind of expensive, so I only have a couple of Z-wave devices. I have lots of battery-powered and plugged-in Zigbee stuff all over the house. The Xiaomi/Aqara stuff works especially well.

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 4, 2022

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

slidebite posted:

You can, but the issue is without the pressure switches being exactly the samethey won't be one will do most of the work.

True, but if you flow enough air to need more than one, as you drop below each compressors turn-on point they'll also come on. Ideally you'd have all of them run off contactors from one pressure switch, but it'll still work either way.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Something that grinds my gears: battery chargers without good wall mount provisions. I have two Kobalt 40V chargers with no wall mount holes at all. The warranty is expired so I opened the chargers, drilled holes in through the bottom, ran wafer-head screws through the holes into a piece of plywood*, covered the screws with a cut up piece of old cutting board material, then put the chargers back together. I have an old Hitachi 12V charger for a drill/driver combo kit with the same omission. Grumble grumble.

Addendum to my smart switch/plug chatter above. I go out of my way to avoid smart devices that require access to "the cloud." The only things in my house that connect to the cloud are the garage door opener and the thermostat. Both work just fine without internet access. I have a Z-wave backup setup for remote access to the garage door. All my cameras use RTSP to a Zoneminder setup and have their internet access blocked at the router.

* The bottom of the charger had ~1/4" standoffs between the bottom of the charger PCB and the surface of the bottom of the charger.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

PBCrunch posted:

Something that grinds my gears: battery chargers without good wall mount provisions. I have two Kobalt 40V chargers with no wall mount holes at all. The warranty is expired so I opened the chargers, drilled holes in through the bottom, ran wafer-head screws through the holes into a piece of plywood*, covered the screws with a cut up piece of old cutting board material, then put the chargers back together. I have an old Hitachi 12V charger for a drill/driver combo kit with the same omission. Grumble grumble.

Addendum to my smart switch/plug chatter above. I go out of my way to avoid smart devices that require access to "the cloud." The only things in my house that connect to the cloud are the garage door opener and the thermostat. Both work just fine without internet access. I have a Z-wave backup setup for remote access to the garage door. All my cameras use RTSP to a Zoneminder setup and have their internet access blocked at the router.

* The bottom of the charger had ~1/4" standoffs between the bottom of the charger PCB and the surface of the bottom of the charger.

That's weird. Kobalt 24v and 80v chargers both have hanging provisions. I wonder why they left it off the 40v chargers.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I want a 7/32" Allen key to keep on my keyring. Are there any other options besides ones with the big loops on the end? Or am I going to have to make my own? I don't need a whole set, and I just want something compact to fit on my keyring.

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017

briefcasefullof posted:

I want a 7/32" Allen key to keep on my keyring. Are there any other options besides ones with the big loops on the end? Or am I going to have to make my own? I don't need a whole set, and I just want something compact to fit on my keyring.

https://www.mcmaster.com/allen-keys/
https://www.mcmaster.com/allen-keys/l-keys-9/
You'll need to find a couple other things to make it worth the shipping, should be no problem.
looking at that, now I want the 28" long, 2" key.

LightRailTycoon fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 6, 2022

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Something must not be loading or I'm not seeing it because all I'm seeing are standard L-shaped keys.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Buy a set, then throw away all the not-7/32" ones. If you search Amazon for 'allen wrench keychain' you'll get about a hundred results, take your pick.

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017

briefcasefullof posted:

Something must not be loading or I'm not seeing it because all I'm seeing are standard L-shaped keys.

I think I misread your question.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Are you just looking for a 7/32 crash bar key?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09SWPW2WR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_88XQCX4V9E7YFTQ70KDG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Apr 6, 2022

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Yeah. I was just wondering if there was something better for a keyring. No biggie

E: Bought a key bit for a drill that the reviews say is made of soft metal. Going to drill through it and put it on my keys.

briefcasefullof fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 7, 2022

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.

PitViper posted:

Should be able to get the ratchet head parts from Snap-On in a rebuild kit. Or see if you can ship it in for a rebuild, and if they'll check the calibration. Looks like a very nice split-beam torque wrench though!

I talked to customer service and a rebuild kit for the ratchet head was only $15, with free shipping!
Gonna rebuild the head and then hopefully find somewhere local to check the calibration.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I need to remove the trailing arm bushings from my 2000 Toyota Sienna minivan. The service manual calls them 'rear axle support bushing'. It's the pivot point of the rear suspension. My bushings are mega-trashed, so I think there is just the metal shell that needs to be extracted.

Would attacking this with a die grinder and a carbide burr do what I want?

I know it's probably not as good as a real bushing-puller kit, but I have a brand new die grinder just sitting here...

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
If they're super trashed you may be able to just pull the rubber out, or use a drill bit to walk it out (there are videos on YouTube.). If not you can burn it out but it reeks and makes a mess. Once you have everything out but the outer sleeve you can use a hacksaw or sawzall to cut most of the way through the outer sleeve then a chisel and hammer to collapse it on the cut and it'll just pull out. Pressing the new one in gets interesting, usually a balljoint press with some funky adapter games and maybe iron pipe nipples and fittings from the hardware store will do it.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I don't think there is any rubber at all. I can definitely see daylight through the bushing. Quite a lot of daylight.

So that's 1 vote for cutting it with a sawzall, not a a die grinder?

There's also the trick of welding a bead inside the sleeve to shrink it. (But there are severe penalties if you over-penetrate.)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

A die grinder will work, if you want an excuse to buy one, don't let me stop you. But a sawzall is what I've always used.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Is the bushing poly or rubber? I’ve never had luck burning out rubber bushings - it just seems to get harder.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I got the upper control arm rear axle bushings out of my fox body trailing arms with a hydraulic press and some patience. Then clean up with a wire wheel. They were about 25 years old at the time.

gently caress burning rubber.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If you've got a good sized air compressor, an air hammer can make quick work of it.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Hacksaw to cut it then hammer and chisel. Or air chisel and sawzall.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013
in the past I've drilled holes in the rubber and hacked the centre of the bushing out. then cut and remove the outer shell. I guess you don't really need to remove the inner, just create enough space for a blade to cut the outer shell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

This is the trick I was talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li3RfCqoiJs